Author Topic: The all-new 1990 Daihatsu Rocky  (Read 67491 times)

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
The all-new 1990 Daihatsu Rocky
« on: Aug 24, 2017, 06:43:12 PM »
Hey everyone,

I crossed ways with a Daihatsu Rocky yesterday that had been on Craigslist in my home town for about two months. After inspection and hearing the sellers spiel about how bad it was running, how hard it is to find parts, and how little he was prepared to claim about it, I shot him an offer. Long story short, I now have a really clean little Daihatsu Rocky for under $1000. It has four seats, supposedly maybe 26 MPG, and a nice tight turning radius.

What's next? who knows, but probably lots of fixing. I siphoned out all the old fuel this morning and put in good, new fuel. It needs a new air filter, an oil change, a new O2 sensor, and an inspection of the front axle. Also, trying to drive home it blew water all over under the hood and extinguished itself, so I put in a new thermostat today. The front axle makes a grinding noise when turning tight in 4WD under power. To top it off, the temperature gauge is always on "C". Either my engine is never warmed up, or it needs a new temperature sensor.

The goal here is to have a nice reliable daily driver that guzzles less gas an can carry more people than the truck, but is still somewhat capable off pavement. Maybe I'll even sell the truck since it is such an unreliable money pit. The downside to that, of course, is that the Daihatsu has too little power for climbing hills, no pickup bed, and can't take chains on all four.

While I decide, enjoy the pics!

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: The all-new 1990 Daihatsu Rocky
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2017, 07:28:25 AM »
That thing is cool.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2017, 07:43:55 AM »
My wife's uncle has one he uses for hunting. Good little truck. Lots of suzuki parts on it. I've seen a few of them with samurai axle swaps, some with Toyota axles. That little thing with a 3rz and Toyota axles would be pretty cool.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2017, 08:17:35 AM »
I think it may have Toyota axles already. At least, the engine, transmission, and lock hubs are Aisin. And it seems like every other part on there is labeled "Nippondenso".

That little thing with a 3rz and Toyota axles would be pretty cool.

It's already pretty cool.

That said, you're giving me way too many ideas. It would be a sweeet little rig with a 3rz and W56. It's already got 5.29 gearing, so a W56+3rz would have enough reduction to go about anywhere. Right now, it's a little underpowered for climbing hills in 4-low

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2017, 11:50:04 AM »
I think it may have Toyota axles already. At least, the engine, transmission, and lock hubs are Aisin. And it seems like every other part on there is labeled "Nippondenso".

It's already pretty cool.

That said, you're giving me way too many ideas. It would be a sweeet little rig with a 3rz and W56. It's already got 5.29 gearing, so a W56+3rz would have enough reduction to go about anywhere. Right now, it's a little underpowered for climbing hills in 4-low

While sharing the same OEM manufacturer with Toyota is a strong indicator of the parts being quality it doesn't mean that the specifications for the parts provided by Daihatsu are equal to those provided by Toyota.  If you can actually cross reference the part numbers for both then you're dealing with just apples.

Sounds like it's in rough shape but possibly no worse that your current Toyota...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2017, 12:24:03 PM »
While sharing the same OEM manufacturer with Toyota is a strong indicator of the parts being quality it doesn't mean that the specifications for the parts provided by Daihatsu are equal to those provided by Toyota.  If you can actually cross reference the part numbers for both then you're dealing with just apples.

True. It is worth noting, though, that many international car ratings (unreliable as they are) place Daihatsu either just above or just below Honda and Toyota. And the Rocky seems to have a reputation for being tougher than the Samurai. Therefore, I hope it's good. The only way to find out is to drive it till it drops.

Sounds like it's in rough shape but possibly no worse that your current Toyota...
Rough shape??? Wish you could see my current Toyota. After eight months of driving and fixing, I still have a cracked windshield, leaky transfer case output seal, leaky clutch master cylinder, rusty bed, rusted rear bumper, worn rear diff, bad brakes, janky battery cable, worn-out horn, weak power brakes, self-loosening intake manifold, and an unstoppable engine oil leak. Oh, and the bad ignitor (if that's what it is). I've been enjoying working on a vehicle with what feels like almost nothing wrong.

Needless to say, there are reasons why I am tempted to ditch the Toyota.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2017, 10:15:16 PM »
After eight months of driving and fixing, I still have a cracked windshield, leaky transfer case output seal, leaky clutch master cylinder, rusty bed, rusted rear bumper, worn rear diff, bad brakes, janky battery cable, worn-out horn, weak power brakes, self-loosening intake manifold, and an unstoppable engine oil leak. Oh, and the bad ignitor (if that's what it is). I've been enjoying working on a vehicle with what feels like almost nothing wrong.

oooh oooh ditch it to me. I've fixed all that stuff before and I'll do it again!
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2017, 12:39:36 AM »
There used to be a board member who had one with a 3rz, and if memory serves, toyota axles.  This was probably over 10 years ago that he was active  :dunno:

And I believe toyota had a controlling share in daihatsu, so it stands to reason that they'd source parts from their own suppliers. 

I test drove one back in the early 90s and was actually pretty impressed by how peppy and quick it was, just didn't know enough about them to pull the trigger.  I could easily see myself getting one of these and swapping in a little diesel
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2017, 01:26:08 AM »
Don't stop with a little diesel. the only diesel swap worth doing is a 12 valve :disturbed:

I would totally be down to have one of these on Toy axles and a peppy 22r. Probably not enough frame room for chevy 63s, but hey just extend the frame a tad and boom! you have a vehicle that probably isn't heavy enough to properly articulate :)

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,209
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2017, 04:02:38 AM »

Hi Lewis,

Is it safe to say that you bought a Toyota truck that can be described as almost totally trashed!  :smack:

If you are frustrated with your Toy truck now, I am anxious to read about your frustrations with your Rocky! 

Daihatsu stopped exporting vehicles to the USA in 1992. There are probably no US dealers, sales were very low, and big auto parts warehouses will have limited stock for aftermarket parts.

From your descriptions, you seem to buy trashed vehicles and then complain about the obvious abuse, and then attempt to make the condition of a trashed vehicle synonymous with reliability... or am I mixed up?  :dunno:

Good luck!

Gnarls. :inthedark:
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2017, 04:16:04 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

utherjorge

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 142
  • Member since Aug '17
  • Two thirds is better than the whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2017, 12:54:58 PM »
Hey, bub, I just got one of these, too. I'll post my own thread: good luck

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2017, 06:35:12 PM »
Hi Lewis,

Is it safe to say that you bought a Toyota truck that can be described as almost totally trashed!  :smack:

If you are frustrated with your Toy truck now, I am anxious to read about your frustrations with your Rocky! 

:smack: is about the only comment for my truck. I have paid heavily for inexperience when buying it, because most of that $3000-4000 went for the exalted, legendary, Toyota name and very little else, because any material worthy of legend or exaltation had been beaten out of it.

Daihatsu stopped exporting vehicles to the USA in 1992. There are probably no US dealers, sales were very low, and big auto parts warehouses will have limited stock for aftermarket parts.

That's what machine shops, engine swaps, and the like are for. That said, RockAuto and eBay still have a reasonable selection, albeit nowhere close to what's available for Toyotas. My hope is that it is young enough to not need very many parts. Either that, or I need to move to Central America where, whatever other little problems there may be, they are at least enlightened enough to have Hiluxes and Daihatsu dealerships.

From your descriptions, you seem to buy trashed vehicles and then complain about the obvious abuse, and then attempt to make the condition of a trashed vehicle synonymous with reliability... or am I mixed up?  :dunno:
You are a little mixed up. Most of the failures that got me started wondering about how much of the Toyota legend was true were on other Toyotas than mine, although mine sure didn't help. Also, the Daihatsu has not, to my knowledge, been trashed. It was parked for nearly two years, so the thermostat stuck and the fuel went bad. Also, the CV joints could probably use some new grease, which may be the source of my grinding noise at tight turns in 4wd.

When I got the Toyota, I paid for a vehicle that was supposedly in decent shape, and soon began to find evidence of abuse that left me agape and sometimes groping for solutions. With this Daihatsu, I paid for a vehicle that was supposedly in bad shape, but everything so far seems to be magically fixed with an adjustment or cheap part. That said, it's early, early days.
[/quote]

Good luck!

I may well need it. Hopefully not much.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »
Hey, bub, I just got one of these, too. I'll post my own thread: good luck

We can now start a two-member "Daihatsus are better than Toyotas" club. When one of our Daihatsus breaks, instead of fixing it ('cause parts are hard to find), we'll stand around and yammer about the Super-legendary, world-famous indestructibility and capability of the Daihatsu Rocky: "It climbs ev'ry mountain, fords every stream. It lets you double your gold. The first man on the moon arrived in a Daihatsu Rocky he drove over a land mine by mistake. He drove it right home (no spare parts allowed) and.... IT STILL RUNS!!!!..."

Then their market value will go up so much that no-one else will be able to afford one, and we'll both be cooler than you can imagine.

This all, on one condition. When Top Gear wants one, they take yours, OK? :yupyup:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2017, 03:07:52 AM »
We can now start a two-member "Daihatsus are better than Toyotas" club. When one of our Daihatsus breaks, instead of fixing it ('cause parts are hard to find), we'll stand around and yammer about the Super-legendary, world-famous indestructibility and capability of the Daihatsu Rocky: "It climbs ev'ry mountain, fords every stream. It lets you double your gold. The first man on the moon arrived in a Daihatsu Rocky he drove over a land mine by mistake. He drove it right home (no spare parts allowed) and.... IT STILL RUNS!!!!..."

Then their market value will go up so much that no-one else will be able to afford one, and we'll both be cooler than you can imagine.

This all, on one condition. When Top Gear wants one, they take yours, OK? :yupyup:

And then... you woke up.  :brick:

Gnarls. :gap:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2017, 03:28:44 AM »

I have paid heavily for inexperience when buying it .. because any material worthy of legend or exaltation had been beaten out of it.

When I got the Toyota, I paid for a vehicle that was supposedly in decent shape...
  :shake_head:

.... With this Daihatsu, I paid for a vehicle that was supposedly in bad shape...
  :shake_head:

It seems obvious that when you are buying a vehicle, you are relying on "supposedly".  It appears that you do not know or have no ability to determine the condition of the vehicle until AFTER you buy it.   :think:

Your choice of a neglected, abused, improperly maintained vehicle is your problem with "un-reliability"..... NOT the brand.  :therethere:

Is my observation wrong here?  :dunno:

Gnarls.  :blah:

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2017, 03:53:36 AM »
I wouldn't be too rough with Lewis. I bought my Toyota without ever purchasing a vehicle before. I wish I knew some of the stuff I knew now, not only about this truck but about vehicles in general that way I could have dinged him down on the price a bit. that being said, I've had way more than 2200 dollars of fun in this truck.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=8066.msg119320#msg119320 get going. I expect it to look like this by tomorrow!

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2017, 04:28:57 AM »
It seems obvious that when you are buying a vehicle, you are relying on "supposedly".  It appears that you do not know or have no ability to determine the condition of the vehicle until AFTER you buy it.   :think:

This is absolutely true, and I don't believe it's going to be different for anyone else. No reasonable owner is going to let me dismantle the engine to measure head warpage and see if it's been overheated, drain the transmission oil to look for metal, pull the brake drums to look for leaky brake cylinders, check valve clearance, or look at any of the myriad other things that I might want to examine that require any amount of disassembly. Other things, such as oil use rates, gas mileage, or a tendency to overheat can only be known with extended use. Therefore, only inspection after purchase when I can dismantle anything I want plus several months of driving can yield anything more than "supposedly"

I freely admit: I lacked important knowledge when I bought the Toyota, because it would only have come with having owned a mid '80s Toyota before. Things like: how the engine is supposed to sound, that there is even supposed to be an oil pressure light, how well the brakes should work, or how much play there should be in the rear diff. All of these things I didn't know have come back to haunt me, but that's the only way to learn.

I couldn't even test drive the Daihatsu more than 30 feet because it wasn't insured -- and it was being sold for parts. Even with this handicap, I think I checked it over better than the Toyota -- Most of the problems (instead of almost none) that I'm aware of I found before purchase rather than after, and therefore affected the purchase price.

Your choice of a neglected, abused, improperly maintained vehicle is your problem with "un-reliability"..... NOT the brand. 
Is my observation wrong here?  :dunno:

Well, certainly my abused truck has not been reliable, and I think it could have held up a little better. That said, my questions about the reliability of the Toyota brand were formed long before my basket case truck came on the scene.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Aug 27, 2017, 04:51:11 AM »
I wouldn't be too rough with Lewis. I bought my Toyota without ever purchasing a vehicle before. I wish I knew some of the stuff I knew now, not only about this truck but about vehicles in general that way I could have dinged him down on the price a bit. that being said, I've had way more than 2200 dollars of fun in this truck.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=8066.msg119320#msg119320 get going. I expect it to look like this by tomorrow!

I don't think I'm being too tough on Lewis.  He's already, commendably, admitted his shortcomings in the automotive realm of this discussion.

I'm just being analytical while attempting to understand his thoughts.

In textual communications it is typically not easy to accurately ascertain human behavior and personality traits, like tone, humor, and intent.

I've been a "communications analyst" most of my life.

Gnarls.  :blah:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Aug 27, 2017, 04:57:20 AM »

So for a short wheel base vehicle (88" is short) used in typical and general off-road 4-wheel drive trails, the articulation is very important.  Most of the short wheel base vehicles I have wheeled with, mostly rock crawling, are very "tippy".  They do well in very tight and short turn obstacles. 

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #19 on: Aug 27, 2017, 05:29:16 AM »
.... No reasonable owner is going to let me dismantle the engine to measure head warpage and see if it's been overheated, drain the transmission oil to look for metal, pull the brake drums to look for leaky brake cylinders, check valve clearance, or look at any of the myriad other things that I might want to examine that require any amount of disassembly....

Lewis.... there are a number of reasonable ways to determine the relative condition of vehicle when you are looking to buy.  Can you be fooled or tricked by the seller?  Of course.  Can you miss something during your "evaluation" - sure.

If the seller is not willing to, say for example, let your "auto mechanic" look at the vehicle, test drive it, and do some basic checks, that may be a red flag, and I'd be skeptical of the "supposedly" real condition of the vehicle.

Gnarls.

utherjorge

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 27, 2017, 05:53:03 AM »
For the purposes of this discussion, I bought my Rocky on Copart for pretty cheap...all I cared was that it had a clean title. Dude was FILLLLLLLLTHY when I got it, the rear fiberglass cap was trashed, and the entire front steering needed help. I knew, however, it would need things, and that was OK by me.

(there were also a couple of cool mods that the PO did to it, which I won't hijack the thread with)

I found everything you will ever need for it. Seriously. Aside from one interior trim piece, which I am still sure I know where I can find it, everything is out there. BUT. The lower ball joints were from Germany. The side markers and new rear license late holder came from Indonesia...and the wiring was slightly different.

If you're going to get fancy and swap stuff, like axles and other drivetrain stuff, obviously, you will be able to find things even easier.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2017, 05:56:52 AM »
For the purposes of this discussion, I bought my Rocky on Copart for pretty cheap...all I cared was that it had a clean title. Dude was FILLLLLLLLTHY when I got it, the rear fiberglass cap was trashed, and the entire front steering needed help. I knew, however, it would need things, and that was OK by me.

(there were also a couple of cool mods that the PO did to it, which I won't hijack the thread with)

I found everything you will ever need for it. Seriously. Aside from one interior trim piece, which I am still sure I know where I can find it, everything is out there. BUT. The lower ball joints were from Germany. The side markers and new rear license late holder came from Indonesia...and the wiring was slightly different.

If you're going to get fancy and swap stuff, like axles and other drivetrain stuff, obviously, you will be able to find things even easier.

Hi utherjorge,

Why did you want a filthy Rocky?

Gnarls.

utherjorge

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 27, 2017, 06:09:55 AM »
OK: there is a lengthy story I'll post when I start my build thread (please feel free to offer your ideas about swapping a potential Tacoma plant into my Rocky, at the top of the list like this thread) but here's a short version:

1. As a fun project, I bought a Tracker for poops and giggles. Needed Tracker things, like the rear of the frame was toast, other rust, and so on, but mechanically was good. Got it on the road and got to enjoy it for a month.

2. Drunk driver totalled it at about 2am. (The pics are nice)

3. Started looking for another tough little beastie, settled on a Rocky, started hunting.

4. Found one that had not yet been turned into a truggy, though it would obvs need some work. And here we are.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #23 on: Aug 27, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
...  Found one that had not yet been turned into a truggy, though it would obvs need some work. And here we are.

Hi utherjorge,

OK.... but WHY did you decide on the Daihatsu Rocky and not some other choice?  :headscratch:

Looks? Name? No longer available here in the US?  More uncommon? Supposed reliability? Chassis design?  Drive train?  Engine type? Uniqueness?  Unusual features? Size?  :dunno:

What??  :inthedark:

Gnarls.  :gap:

utherjorge

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 27, 2017, 11:31:40 AM »
Just posted my own build thread, and I sort of answer these questions...but I will say more there, too!

(I apologize for hijacking this thread again :) )

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 28, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »
Enough talk about me! Back to wrenching.

I finally got a chance for an oil change today, and confirmed a problem I already suspected before purchase.

Dreaded milkshake, anyone?

I am puzzled. After a total of probably 6 minutes idling since the oil change. the oil on the dipstick is clear. There has never, ever been any thick white smoke, so coolant shouldn't be mixing with the oil. Did someone dump coolant down the wrong hole???

In any case, I think there is an engine swap someday in this vehicle's future.

utherjorge

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 28, 2017, 05:08:11 PM »
You leakin'?

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #27 on: Aug 28, 2017, 05:55:33 PM »

I finally got a chance for an oil change today, and confirmed a problem I already suspected before purchase.

I am puzzled. After a total of probably 6 minutes idling since the oil change. the oil on the dipstick is clear. There has never, ever been any thick white smoke, so coolant shouldn't be mixing with the oil. Did someone dump coolant down the wrong hole??? 

Coolant can mix with oil and NOT produce white exhaust smoke.

Water can get into the oil and become milky without producing white exhaust smoke.

White exhaust smoke (moisture) is usually caused when coolant or water gets into the combustion chamber.  On the 22 factory head, typically number 3 chamber develops a crack from the water port across to the chamber.

White exhaust smoke on a cold start up could be normal water condensation in the exhaust system that usually burns off quickly.

I am not familiar with the Daihatsu engine.  :dunno:

Gnarls.

Lewis Hein [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 28, 2017, 07:08:35 PM »
You leakin'?

Not a drop.

I wonder if this is moisture from the vehicle having been parked for a year and a half. Then again, maybe it's not.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #29 on: Aug 29, 2017, 03:42:13 AM »
Not a drop.

I wonder if this is moisture from the vehicle having been parked for a year and a half. Then again, maybe it's not.

Hey Lewis,

Motor oil is hygrocopic and will absorb moisture.  Even the smallest amount of moisture in motor oil, if not heated and burned off quickly, can cause chemical changes (hydrolysis) and can be destructive.  If the moisture has accumulated in the crankcase, and it was drained before the engine was fired up again after 1.5 years, it may only cause X damage.  If the engine was fired with moisture contaminated oil, the damage can happen very quickly.

Did you drain the coolant?  What did it look like? A vehicle sitting for 1.5 years, after being driven, without being properly prepped for storage (fresh oil, fresh coolant, gas stablizer, etc) most likely will have rust and corrosion damage to metal parts, and may require a rebuild.

Have you done a compression check?

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2017, 03:58:46 AM by Gnarly4X »