Author Topic: What are the pros and cons of dual transfer cases vs one ultimate?  (Read 19840 times)

anomaly

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Just as the title says.  Whats everyones take?
Stock 88 4runner

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
An dual transfercase has just 2 transfer cases.  The dual ultimate has 2 transfer cases and a 4.7 gear in it.  The ultimate crawls slower and is a lot lot better for wheeling.  Now, dual transfer cases crawl slower then just a 4.7, or a 5.0(4.97?)  so a dual transfer case is better for crawling then a 4.7 or 5.0.

NUb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 135
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Represent the 805
    • View Profile
with duals transfer cases you get 3 sets of gears to choose from
stock
stock low
double low

with just the 4.7 instaled you get
stock and
low low

I would recomment the duals because you just have more optins to choose from. its nice to be able to pop it in 2wd low and cruse around.

Jeff
I would Take my truck offroad but then it would get dirty

94 exta cab 84 frame
4.88 electrics w/duals and 35's
Tacoma bed?

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 228
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Dude,
go dual ultimate, you won't regret it. I love my Marlin Crawler!!!! :biggthumpup:  :beerchug:  :beer:  :beer:  :beerchug:
1989 x-cab V6, SAS, Marlin dual ultimate crawler, dual arbs, high pinion, 35 mtr's, hot brunette in passenger seat.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
with the single 4.7 case you have no driveline to shorten and lengthen and get the same results as duel cases..However your going to be running the higher gears like 3-4-5th alot because when you hit 4 low your basicly like double down..

With the duel cases you have more options..You have 4lo 2wd,,the you have normal 4low,,then double low with would be like the one case with 4.7 gear set in it..For most trails standard 4low is fine and needed to get around in because low low is just too low when the trails are steep and muddy...

One more bonus to having the duel cases is front driveline angle..the extra 6 inches you get from adding the crawler box really helps with the front driveline angle on lifted trucks because it makes it longer and takes some ot the angle out..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
The good thing about this comparison is even if you just started out with the Dual setup, you can always eaisly upgrade to the Ultimate by replacing the gear set in your rear transfercase.

The Cool thing about the Ultimate is you can run:
  • a single stock 2.28:1
  • a single 4.70:1
  • or the Ultimate 10.72:1

Where the 4.70:1 is nearly the same as just a Dual Transfercase (5.29:1).

Alot more options to choose from :thumbs: and you will never go back after you've wheeled at 183:1 and above!!!

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
I second that, I went from completely stock to a duel ultimate setup- money well spent!  I was annoying wraith to death at TDS playing with all the different gear combos! If there is not a gear suitable for the terrain, it does not exist! 4.7= a great upgrade, you will be shifting a bit more often from time to time   duel= twice the options and extremely low low gearing. I could not help but giggle when I shiften the rear case to 4wd low  and then the front  ( attempted to pull Wraith off a rock, all four tires simply dug holes into the sand, with zero throttle input!)  If money is a concearn you can always do the 4.7 single case, and add a case to the front when money allows for driveshafts and crossmember.    :twocents:
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
I second that, I went from completely stock to a duel ultimate setup- money well spent!  I was annoying wraith to death at TDS playing with all the different gear combos! If there is not a gear suitable for the terrain, it does not exist! 4.7= a great upgrade, you will be shifting a bit more often from time to time   duel= twice the options and extremely low low gearing. I could not help but giggle when I shiften the rear case to 4wd low  and then the front  ( attempted to pull Wraith off a rock, all four tires simply dug holes into the sand, with zero throttle input!)  If money is a concearn you can always do the 4.7 single case, and add a case to the front when money allows for driveshafts and crossmember.    :twocents:
A dual ulti. is like three t cases 4 high, stock 2 or 4 low, 4.7 2 or 4 low, or dual ulti 2 or 4 low with twin stick= the :pokinit:
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
hell yea,,when In doubt,,double down 3rd gear and throttle out..I can pretty much get in or out of all kinds of trouble with that gearing...Its the perfect gear for FULLY GETTING IT!!
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
hell yea,,when In doubt,,double down 3rd gear and throttle out..I can pretty much get in or out of all kinds of trouble with that gearing...Its the perfect gear for FULLY GETTING IT!!
What he said  :burnout:  :driving:
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

anomaly [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I ask because I know of a guy selling a W56 (mine is on it's way south) with dual stock cases, and driveshafts for 800.  Wondering if I would rather do 33 Xterrains on black rock crawlers (I need tires as well, sadly) or do that and hold off on the tires.
Stock 88 4runner

MUDDONKEY

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 203
  • Male Posts: 106
  • Member since Sep '04
  • "My dad's got an awesome set of tools,I can fixit!
    • View Profile
YOU GOTTA HAVE A WAY TO GET ALL OF THAT GEARING TO THE GROUND!!! SPINNING SLICKS IS USELESS!!
72 fj 40, too bling bling to wheel
76 fj 40 rotting in my backyard(parts)
85 xtracab-bored 30 over, dual cases,arb's,5.29'S, 35 TSLS ,partial exo, onboard air, UNSTOPPABLE!
07 FJ, 4" WE/Donahoe, 33/12.50's on blk procomps

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
I've never actually compared this in a real world test, but I might even go as far to say that a truck with an Ultimate with stock 28" tires is more capable than the same truck on 33" tires with stock gearing. The only advantage the 33" would give is ground clearance.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Thumper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 63
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
I would do the duel case and tranny because thats a heck of a deal!
Thats what im running and i love it and if you go with the tires and ur tranny goes down then u are stuck vs buying the tranny and duels and then u can always find tires, there everywhere.
Good luck
adam
If you didn't make it, and it ain't broke, you didn't try hard enough.

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
I have the dual ultimate and there is no cons  :turtle:
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
I have just duals and i don't think it is slow enough.  I will hopefull be putting a call in to marlin in the next month or so for a 4.7 gearset.

Yota4life

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -128
  • Male Posts: 1,461
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
When you have stock and Low its pretty low, then when you have low low its really low( 223:1) Its nice to have so many different combinations by puting it in 1st,2nd,3rd,4th 5th gear and make low low a little bit higher
88 Toyota Pickup with some stuff...
Build up: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11133.160

rockhound

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 169
  • Male Posts: 817
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
Ultimate dual!
I've been hitting the trails for many years. My first time out with the ultimate setup brought a whole new meaning to rock crawling. No more slipping the clutch, going too fast over rough areas, stalling at just the wrong time, or charging up the hill out of control to make the summit. Money well spent. I paid $600 for a rebuilt tranny. Then I bought the transfer, gears, adapter. You're going to need the crossmember too, and driveshaft work... How slow do you want to go? :twocents:

How you 'sposed to know what your limitations are, till you exceed them.

www.RunandPlayMotorsports.com

sloyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 251
  • Male Posts: 818
  • Member since Mar '05
  • 1/4TiLTKrawlers.Petaluma,Ca. 707-766-9592
    • View Profile
Dual case's is the way to go,thanks for the good info,I'm calling marlin today so i can empty my wallet! :yupyup:
I'm not responsable for my own action's.

hi on lux

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
An dual transfercase has just 2 transfer cases.  The dual ultimate has 2 transfer cases and a 4.7 gear in it.  The ultimate crawls slower and is a lot lot better for wheeling.  Now, dual transfer cases crawl slower then just a 4.7, or a 5.0(4.97?)  so a dual transfer case is better for crawling then a 4.7 or 5.0.
The good thing about this comparison is even if you just started out with the Dual setup, you can always eaisly upgrade to the Ultimate by replacing the gear set in your rear transfercase.

The Cool thing about the Ultimate is you can run:
  • a single stock 2.28:1
  • a single 4.70:1
  • or the Ultimate 10.72:1

BigMike

do i get it right?
DUAL TRANSFER CASE means 2 STOCK GEARED TCASE
ULTIMATE TRANSFER CASE means 1 TCASE WITH 4.7 GEARSET
DUAL ULTIMATE means 2 TCASE WITH 2 4.7 GEARSET EACH? (if there is such)
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2007, 07:53:59 AM by hi on lux »

hi on lux

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
OT.

toyota tcase has a standard J pattern shift positions, what happens now (of the pattern) on the front  and rear case on a dually set up?

given that it is not yet twin-sticked.

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
One more bonus to having the duel cases is front driveline angle..the extra 6 inches you get from adding the crawler box really helps with the front driveline angle on lifted trucks because it makes it longer and takes some ot the angle out..

How does the rear driveline angles look after a dual case install?  Did you guys have to cut and rotate your rear axle again? CV shafts still work?

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
OT.

toyota tcase has a standard J pattern shift positions, what happens now (of the pattern) on the front  and rear case on a dually set up?

The front shifter (with the mod to the shift rail that remains after the conversion.) will shift only forward and back for low range only. The rear shifter with the stock configuration will continue to function the same as before. With twin sticks they both just move back and forth.   

I believe this is what you were asking, right?  :disturbed:

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
OT.

Front case is just Hi/Lo, rear case without twin stick is the regular pattern.

How does the rear driveline angles look after a dual case install?  Did you guys have to cut and rotate your rear axle again? CV shafts still work?

I had to rotate mine up using a CV, the nice thing is it gets your pinion out of the dirt with a CV since it is pointing at the T-case were the single they are parallel.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
I've got a CV and a rotated axle already i was just wondering if it'll need to be rotated again for a dual install?  Cause frankly that would suck to have to cut those perches off again.

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
 I heard someone mention that a single 4.7 is hard on the input shafts or something.
 Is this a serious issue?
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
I heard someone mention that a single 4.7 is hard on the input shafts or something.
 Is this a serious issue?

no,  never heard of that :screwy:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
with a single 4.7ypu can have the input and out put shafts cryoed but duals is the way to go especally when rockcrawling cause it alows for the best line to be taken on the trail cause your going so slow
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
I could swear this was just covered....

jprinehart84

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Dec '07
  • I DID WAHT!!!
    • View Profile
shouldnt the tranny have some input, I have an 84 transmisson, g52 and thats the weakest of all, wont the duals really rip me apart