Author Topic: Quick Gear Pattern Check  (Read 3621 times)

WisconsinYota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
Quick Gear Pattern Check
« on: Jul 04, 2010, 06:57:11 AM »
Hey guys, this is my first attempt at setting up my own gears.  These are 5.29 Yukons from Marlin Crawler.  The gears originally had the LPH so I am using a pinion depth of around .250".  I was originally way too deep so I removed some shims and became a little shallow.  I then added .003" and came up with this.  I think it looks acceptable.  It will be going into the front axle that sees little to no road use in 4wd, so I set backlash a touch tight at .006" and wouldn't mind running the pattern a little on the deep side to keep the gears alive.  CBPL is at 150ftlbs..etc etc.  I've studied Zuk's Gear Install website (www.gearinstalls.com) and it seems this is an acceptable pattern.  What do you guys think?

Thanks!  :)
'87 Toy -  SAS, Marlin HiSteer, 5.29 Yukons, Welded Rear, Marlin Duals, Marlin 1600lb Clutch, 36x12.5" Super Swampers..Basic but functional (and expensive..)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Quick Gear Pattern Check
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2010, 07:32:54 AM »
its not bad at all,
i'll check my notes later and get back
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2010, 08:15:25 AM »
Looks fine to me.  It looks like your using the gear paint from an auto parts store.  The blue does make it harder to see the pattern imo.  Since its going in the front you dont have to be worry bout it. 

WisconsinYota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2010, 08:30:53 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.  I do not like that marking compound one bit!  It's "Prussian Blue" made by Permetex.  It is all any of our auto parts stores had.  I could not find any proper yellow markng compound for sale online either?  If someone knows where I could buy an individual tube of it, I'd love you! 

I disagree partially with the attitude of the front doesnt really matter.  You only want to buy a $200 ring and pinion once, only want to have to take the front axle apart once, and I dont want to have to worry about "just good enough" on the trail.  My thinking was since it's going in the front and wont see high speeds, I can run a tighter backlash and deeper pattern.  The teeth are stronger towards the carrier versus the tip.  I wouldn't want to run that in a rear application because of heat buildup at highway speeds.  I guess that's my attitude.  Do it once and do it right!

Thanks guys! :)
'87 Toy -  SAS, Marlin HiSteer, 5.29 Yukons, Welded Rear, Marlin Duals, Marlin 1600lb Clutch, 36x12.5" Super Swampers..Basic but functional (and expensive..)

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2010, 09:37:02 AM »
True it is important but 99% of the people who do gears in the front never properly break them in.  Since they never get broke in correctly trying to make them perfect doesnt help nearly as much as a full time 3rd.  Dont get me wrong.  I set mine up as close to perfect as I Can but I also take the time to put the 3rd in the rear axle and break it in proper.  Tho I put an e locker in my front axle so swapping it to the rear isnt gonna work so I broke it in by locking the hubs and driving it around.  I would stop and see how hot it was then determine if I needed to let it cool or not. 
Btw if you want to use something other then the blue which I have a tube of it I used for one pattern then threw it in my tool box.  Dont really plan to use it again.  Anyhow you can use just about any type of grease or paint to check patterns.  I mixed some red paint with some clear grease I had around and it leaves a great pattern.  Just make up ur own grease.

WisconsinYota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2010, 02:00:50 PM »
Great idea on putting the front gearset in the rear to break it in.  That's a really great idea!  Although, I will just lock the hubs and drive around until I rack up a couple hundred miles and then dump the fluid.  I don't really use the truck very hard so I am hoping the gears last.  Break in is also important, or so I've read.

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
Truely I wouldnt worry bout the front break in.  I cant even count how many people I know who never break in their gears and never have a problem with them.  If they are set up right they should last forever. Then again it depends on how brutal you are on them.  Swapping the 3rd to the rear is a great idea but I am sorta glad I dont have to do it this time.  I hate having to pull the front apart.   Also one other thing is I am a firm believer in redline gear oil.  Just doesnt break down like normal gear oil. 
Good luck and have fun on the trails.   :king: :eyebrow:

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 555
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »
You can make whatever color marking compound you prefer by putting food coloring or finely crushed kids sidewalk chalk in white grease or Vaseline (or other benign lubricant of your choice). A local drivetrain place told me about it.
I tried Prussian Blue and found it difficult to see as well.
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2010, 11:11:47 AM by yjay »
22re Daily Driver
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56568.0
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

WisconsinYota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2010, 06:06:14 PM »
Any other lubricant?  Hmmm.. :gap:

General opinion that these gears are runnable?

Thanks!

:thumbs: