Author Topic: Crazy's 1st gen build up  (Read 104678 times)

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Crazy's 1st gen build up
« on: Aug 08, 2009, 06:43:32 AM »
I am sure yall have seen many of my pics in other threads but I thought I should make a build thread so you can see where I started.   Ive had this 82 for bout 9 yrs and I bought it with the pure intention of making a pure wheeler.   Well as life will see to it, it ended up becoming a DD.  When I got it I had a 99 taco which I wheeled and abused, but started to realize I was tearing it apart.  So I bought this one. 
The 1st pic is when I was 1st trying to get her running and smogged.   The head gasket had been going on me and so I pulled it apart and dropped a new one in.  Still wouldnt pass smog so I was about to scrap the truck and invest what little money I had left into another truck. 
So the story goes and here I am with a sweet running rig and its only been getting better.
I do not work so my budget it very limited but I do what I can thanks to a lot of good people and craigslist.  Plus the advice I get from here and a few other key yota forums. 

Here is the stock interior which was a tad rough and the seats felt like sitting on needles since they were so broken down.

So I replaced them with these seat which I believe came out of a ford ranger.  Price was right and they felt good. Little modding they fit well.

This was the new engine I dropped in and she ran sweet.  Gotta love the purrrr of a finely tuned 22R.  :cool:

This thing had the original steel rims on it which had been painted black and man were they bad.  Balancing them took 1 pound of weights. LOL so I got these nice chrome steelies for cheap and spent some time cleaning them up.

Then the worst thing happened to someone as OCD as I am.  I got a welder ! Be it a Harbor freight special it was still gonna be something I was gonna learn.  One of the 1st things I made was this cross member.

About the same time as the cross member I had got a hold of some MCrear4's which was sweet but I had to make new spring hangers and move the shackles.  Being that I suck as a welder and just really learning to fab with steel the spring hangers didnt turn of so well.  They held but I was sure if I hit the trail they would rip.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy's 1st gen build up
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2009, 07:02:23 AM »
Got A nice little package from Marlins site. These shock hoops became a must since I got some Rancho RS9000s which are 14" rear and 16" front.  Little longer then I wanted but the price was right.

Wasnt as easy I thought it would be to install them.  I had to cut, grind and weld in places which well were not exactly big.  To say the least they are still on. 

Heres a pic of the truck after the lift and a few other things. Starting to look like a trail rig but not there yet.

Found a great deal on some sliders and proceeded to install them which was a chore as well.  Sorry I am a rookie welder so anything to do with welding in tight places is tough.

I had made a rear bumper with some steel I found at the yard.  Not exactly the stuff you should use on a bumper and not easy to cut since I dont have a torch or a plasma. It was made of just 4x4 square tubing.  It looked ok and I had it tucked under the back of truck well but I wanted to modify it to make it more suitable for wheelin.  Anyhow this is what I am doing with it now.  A lot of grinding and welding but I am loving how it looks so far.  Well see when its on the truck again.  Plus the lame stock brackets I used are gonna go and the beds going to get trimmed so its right under the tailgate area.

This is the front bumper I made which turned out ok but ended up modding to fit a winch I was going to have. 

Ended up using the metal from my bumper to make rear leaf hangers that to say the least are way overkill.  I still need to work on them but I kind of like the long slope of them.  I plan on plating them in which should further strengthen them.

Then the final piece to my trucks DD drive train got picked up yesterday.  Lets just say I havent installed it yet but I AM SOOO stoked to have this and well be loving life not having to hear my input bearing scream at me.

I have some more of the build pics but I will update this later with them.
Atleast this gives ya slight idea of what ive done and undone. :gap:
Give me time and my fabbing skillz will get better.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2009, 07:20:16 AM »
:beerchug:   looking good bro   nice clean truck
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

PA_taco_13

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 309
  • Member since Dec '05
  • PA Muddin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
blue is :boobs:   
learn the hard way 

"my dixie wrecked"

east coast crawler

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2009, 02:51:19 PM »
Keep it going  :clap2:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 541
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2009, 05:00:13 PM »
Good to see another first gen getting some work done. Looks great. Keep posting pics. :beer:
82 1st Gen with 4.3L vortec and 4l60e. Linked front and rear

My build up. Getting linked
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50700.msg711361#msg711361

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2009, 07:21:35 PM »
Good to see another first gen getting some work done. Looks great. Keep posting pics. :beer:

x2 on that one love the body style this one is just too clean to beat up its hard to find them in that good of shape anymore. good looking start on the build.
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2009, 07:52:16 AM »
Heres a few updates of what I did yesterday.  I got my new trans installed and installed a Seco clutch.  Def a stiffer clutch and grabs quicker so I am gonna have to get use to that.  The trans is very tight and takes some force to shift it.  I am sure it will wear in a little and get smoother.
Gonna finish the rear bumper and repack my front leafs today if I have the time.

With my truck lifted my jack wouldnt go up high enough and I hate blocking the trans on jack.  I welded a plate to the jack which works perfect so I just let all the air out of my front tires and it was perfect height.

Steam cleaned my tcase. Got a lot of the oil off it.  I had a front oil seal that was leaking until I sleeved it.  So now I should be able to keep it clean.

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2009, 08:09:31 AM »
 :thumbs: keep it comin  :beer:

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2009, 09:36:24 AM »
I plan on it but I made a list of what I need to do and now I am thinking I should have just winged it.  Heck this is just a list of stuff I need to get done on truck.  Not even new stuff.  I am off to go play in the grease. :moon: :crazy:

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2009, 11:00:35 AM »
damn thats a nice looking 1st gen man.      pretty clean.      have fun.   :beer:
i love oregon wheelin.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2009, 03:40:45 PM »
It'll loosen up a bit. Mine shifts great now after about 1,500 miles. Noise all gone?
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2009, 06:44:30 PM »
Still a little bit of gear whine but its def quiet compared.  I wasnt expecting it to run better but its def got more power now.  Ill post some pics of the spring packs I built today.  I did other odds and ends but mostly just got pissed off at a u bolt that wouldnt go in.   It was bent and I havent got a replacement yet.  :hammerhead:

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2009, 07:22:17 AM »
Heres some pics of the leafs.  The pic has one repacked other not but one is left and one is right so the diff in size is normal for the most part.  Just shows the thickness of the diff packs.

Heres the springs installed.  I think the springs I repacked were downey 4" but I cant be sure.  The right side was sagging and so I put 2 center springs from my stock rears and removed the thicker center leaf from downeys.  Not only was I hoping to correct the sage but also gain flex and maybe a little height. 

Heres a pic of truck I personally cant tell if its higher or not but my steering wheel was off again about 30 deg to the right which tells me it is higher I think. Let me know what you think.  I dont have a good compare pic tho.
I need to trim my sliders today.  The front tires are really close to them.

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1254
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2009, 07:54:57 AM »
Looks nice and clean... now bob that bed!

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2009, 08:33:24 AM »
its to clean to bob!

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1254
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2009, 08:50:25 AM »
Bobbing the bed doesn't diminish the value and its not something that can only be done on messed up trucks.. bobbing just looks better in general!

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 10, 2009, 08:53:22 AM »
yea... your right. but i  :love: that color blue

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2009, 01:25:41 PM »
I vote no bob.

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 10, 2009, 02:15:11 PM »
Clean truck man. Keep up the good work.
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 12, 2009, 10:13:16 PM »
bob it but spend some time on the body work and take your time do a good job and then go to toyota and get the paint number and repaint the bed.
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 13, 2009, 07:51:13 PM »
Not sure if I am gonna bob it or not.  Got other things to do before I come to that.  I got a 3rd the other day which I believe is pretty new since it still has the paint on the ring gear.  Its gonna go in as my primary rear 3rd and then I am gonna weld the old one.   I need to get a lot done before MCR comes along. 
I got a rear bumper in trade but im not sure if it will even stand up to any abuse.  Ill post pics of it and see what yall think. 
I would like to figure out how to get my front 1" higher to level out my truck.  I think I may just have to build a set of rears up front and buy or make a new hanger.  That will at least shift my axle forwards and give me the inch of lift I need.  I may be getting some 35x12.5x15 bfg mt's soon which will really work out well for the trail. 
Not having the dough for hi steer is killing me tho lol.
How does this cam look to you ?  Its a Rv cam I am thinking about installing in my rig.

Rocksnail

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 13, 2009, 08:04:15 PM »
cam looks like its new. Do you know the specs on it? I would try and find that out before you install. Your truck is clean, keep up the good work.
1993 4door  s10 Tahoe. 4.3 th350c duel toys w/4.7 rear, D60 front 5.13 welded. 14Bolt rear 5.13 mini spool,hydro assist, TG 5HD front springs, 63s out back. h2s with 39x14 17 Pit Bull Madd Dogs

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 13, 2009, 08:06:38 PM »
clean truck!

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 13, 2009, 08:35:01 PM »
Ya think that rear bumper would take hit from a rock ?  I know when I hit the trail it will hit since I am a long bed. 
Cam is a Engbldr 368 so its a mild smog legal cam.  It was in Jimbos truck when it blew up.  I noticed a few marks on bearing surfaces which I cleaned up with 1500 grit paper and water.  Looks perfect but it did leave a few little marks on bearings too but I am not sure if it was due to the rod coming apart or not.  Hate to put it in my truck and have it ruin the head.  Guess ill have to see what it will cost to have a machine shop check it out.

The deal I was looking into with the BFG 35s doesnt look to good. The guy said they have about 50% tread on them.  Heres a pic of the tires.  Im thinking they have about 10-15% on them.

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 14, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »
Cut that bed already!   :flamer:    :thumbs:
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 14, 2009, 02:01:56 PM »
Cut that bed already!   :flamer:    :thumbs:
But the only thing I am good at cutting is the cheese 

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 15, 2009, 07:34:04 AM »
Heres some pics of some of the work I did yesterday.  Mainly changed my rear 3rd out.

This is my orig axles. They look dirty but from what I can tell still in good shape.

Cleaned the housing out pretty well. Wasnt all that bad in the 1st place tho.

I welded a large bead around the drain plug to give me some protection.  Not sure how much it will help.  I didnt get time to fab a rear diff guard tho.

The 3rd I used was out of a 2nd gen so the flange was diff. Larger drive line bolts and hole locations so I pull the slip yoke off the 2nd gen and used it.  Which happened to work very well since I have a lot more slip yoke left to flex with.

You can also see I stripped and painted my RS9000's in that last pic.  They had some rust so I figured I would just make them look good. :gap: :hammerhead:

I may be giving up on MCR this year since I cant seam to get a hold of bigger tires or gears.  I know I am gonna shred this poor truck.  :inthedark: :rivers:

I really need a hand to bob this bed.  I plan on taking 16"s off it. I think it would look good with that much gone.  I hate the look of a stubby bed.

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 15, 2009, 08:21:36 AM »
Ok heres a list of what I would need to get done in order to do mcr.

1.  Gears front and rear-4.88 or 5.29s and weld rear
2.  Bob bed 12+ inches
3.  Do rears up front which would mean I would need to cut my shock hoops and move them forward and fab a new drop front spring hanger
4.  Get longer shackles front and rear.
5.  If I can get gears then I would need to get dual case adapter.  I have a second top shift tcase in good condition.
6.  Cut sliders to correct length and weld new caps on them.
7.  Find spare birfs and inners as well as a spare rear driveline.  I can always use the birfs and inners off jimbos truck but I cant have the truck sitting on jack stands since its at my ole mans shop.
8.  Hi steer !! this is a must to me but if I can afford it then I will have to use jimbos extra J arm and drag links as spares.
9.  Bigger tires-  I want 35-12.5-15s but with stock gearing they would make it VERY hard for me to crawl.  Meaning I would wear out my brand new HD clutch I just put in.
10. Find a better rear bumper that would fit the bed once I bob it.
11. Reweld all the crappy welds I made with my HF mig.  Either find someone local with a stronger mig or use my arc welder which I am not so good at.
12. Get new spring bushing for my MCREAR4 springs. Those are at least cheap.
13. Fab a rear shock hanger bar.  I am currently using stock bar which is too far forward.
14. Maybe Pull front 3rd out of Jimbos truck and weld that so I will have a welded front and rear just for wheeling.  I REALLY hate welded diffs btw.
15. Test run rig to see whats going on with suspension.  I know I have decent flex in rear but front is unknown atm.
16. Fab axle breathers for front and rear.  Not sure how deep the river is in sept.
17  Find a rich old lady to marry so I can afford to wheel.
18.  ???

What else am I missing ?  Besides find someone who can drive worth a damn.  Its been 12 yrs since I ran the con and ive heard its A LOT harder then it use to be. 
I do have a spare PS pump,alt,starter, distrib, and ignitor. Maybe even a few other things just in case.  I also have a 80" hi lift jack thats like 25 yrs old but looks new. 

I stripped and painted my roll bar I had in the truck and deciding if I want to put it back or not.  It does look nice now thats its painted. No lights of yet to put on it.

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2009, 08:45:27 AM »
i'm trying to find #17 also......   :yesnod:
great looking build so far!  :beerchug:
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage