Author Topic: Check my first gear pattern?  (Read 9028 times)

blackSR5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: Check my first gear pattern?
« Reply #30 on: Aug 14, 2010, 07:57:15 AM »
Down in the Phoenix area(1500 feet) it will be 112 by 2pm in the shade today.

Yeah the news just said that it is supposed to be 115 today...Just a little warm. Wish I was in flag.
Want a Runner or a truck...and a DIRT BIKE!!!

ZUK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 168
  • Member since Nov '02
    • View Profile
    • ZUK's Gear installs
« Reply #31 on: Aug 14, 2010, 08:14:37 AM »
I believe it..... My sister lives right next to the burn area that happened a month ago or so....(Shultz fire).  The fire fighters apparently did a back-burn on the other side of the dirt road she lives on. So her side is untouched and the pine trees are healthy...other side is has all the grass burned away and half the trees are blackened. After the fire, there were numerous homemade signs placed along the dirt road saying "god bless the firefighters"....."you guys are #1"....etc. It was pretty cool.  I'm digressing a little but what the hey :)

www.gearinstalls.com
2001 White Xtracab Taco 3.4L Auto TRD
88 Runner/V6/auto/31"/5.29gear

zippo [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #32 on: Aug 14, 2010, 09:52:40 PM »
Pic Dump! Hope this is it!

Enjoy the Dana 44! I live in the NW so the weather is awesome here too during the summer.

Funny story about shifty shops. So I called around this morning needing a solid pinion shim to get my preload correct, I was about .15mm to short. I called a shop that I had called awhile ago about setting up the diff who advised, "no problem, we do Toyotas all the time, we can do it in a day or two, no problem, oh yeah we do solid pinions all the time", so I called again and asked if they had some shims I could buy. He replied, come on in, we have thousands hanging on the wall. So I drove and got there NOT ONE TOYOTA SHIM! or any shims that would work. Does anything think they really would care enough to go about getting it correct or just install it and be done with it. Yeah i though so. I found another shop and got the pinion preload to 12-16 inch lbs.

Also used a marlin HD seal and a 5 way drill flange.

90 Lbs for an hour. I made this little gauge today also! This also shows my holder I made and my work bench.

Drive side with 2.40mm Shims, 120lbs on the Carrier bearings. Caps torqued to 80lbs .40mm or .017 inch Backlash. Is this to much backlash? It opened it up and looks ok.

Coast looks a little to wide?

Backlash.

Copper Line Run.

I put the air thingy in, and adjust the lock tab so it's not touching. But i noticed as the gear shifted from clockwise to counter clockwise I had a little movement of this. Is this normal? how does one tighten it down?

At the request of the gear man himself zuk. The gear markings.

« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2010, 09:58:16 PM by zippo »
If you see it, its for sale.

ZUK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '02
    • View Profile
    • ZUK's Gear installs
« Reply #33 on: Aug 15, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
I've seen those ring markings before...not very often though. You can thank the gear factory that cut those and fell outside of some of the precision guidelines.
       .017 BL is normally too much but your gear set-up made it mandatory. I like your ARB air tester even better than my own version :yesnod:   
     ,,,,and your fixture to secure your 3rd member is really cool.  I've seen that design somewhere else but I just can't put my finger on it :headscratch:
     The back-n-forth movement of the copper line is normal.  Sounds like your good to go now. 
           www.gearinstalls.com

zippo [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #34 on: Aug 15, 2010, 01:40:54 PM »
Yeah I won't buy another Yukon Gear. Even if it isn't their fault. What a pain in the ass, even more so for my first gear setup!
If you see it, its for sale.

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 18, 2010, 08:55:45 PM »
Just thought I would post some pics of a 3rd I set up a few days ago.  The gears are unmarked yukons and I have set up bout 5 sets of these gears and ive always had get patterns with them.  Tho this time I took an educated guess on shim sizes and nailed it the 1st time.  I love it when I get lucky.  The light was pretty bad so the pics arent that great but you can still see the pattern.  I think they look good. 
Tell me what you think.

Here is what is stamped on the gears. 

ZUK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '02
    • View Profile
    • ZUK's Gear installs
« Reply #36 on: Aug 27, 2010, 03:29:51 PM »
You're right....it is hard to see the pattern. It appears about right. Wish you had some yellow paint though.
           www.gearinstalls.com

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 27, 2010, 05:12:41 PM »
Ya it does suck with this blue.  I ran out of yellow and havent bothered to order some.  Was hoping my buddy had some extra from work but no go.  Either or in person the pattern is readable.   I made some red stuff but it just wasnt showing the pattern as well I would have liked so I switched back to this blue. 
You have any Yellow that you want to sell me ?  I keep doing front gears and not using master kits.