Author Topic: Help: Dual toyota stock fuel tanks in stock location(s)  (Read 13773 times)

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Help: Dual toyota stock fuel tanks in stock location(s)
« on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:39:12 AM »
Hey guys, im trying to mount 2 tanks in my 81 toyota.  Here is the kicker, i dont want to use a fuel cell, and i dont want to mount it in the area where the spare goes.

So here is the situation.  I want to mount 2 tanks with factory mounts.  My thought was you just rotate one tank 180 and mount it on the driver side.  However, the tank is sloped on one side to allow for clearing the bed so you cant rotate it.  The problem you have now is your fill spout is facing the wrong way (inward towards your drive shaft).

Only solution im getting it to alter the fuel tank.  Cut and reweld the fill spout onto the driver side and have a fill spout on both sides of your bed.  This is what i would like to do, however, i have heard there is no safe way to do this.

Any solution on how to make it safe and or any other solutions would be greatly accepted.
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Are all tanks usually on the right side? 

If not, get one that's normally on the left side...............

Where's the exhaust going to go?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Are all tanks usually on the right side? 

If not, get one that's normally on the left side...............

Where's the exhaust going to go?

dont worry about the exhaust, ill find a place for it.  I believe all tanks are right side tanks, if not someone please jump in.
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I figured there's some left-sided tanks because I know there's some right-sided exhausts..........

:dunno:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
All of the trucks that were imported from Japan were right side tanks.  You need to buy a tank off a Tacoma.   I would look for Taco that is totaled out, cut out the bed to get the door, and hose mount, and cut the tank mounts off, if they aren't the same.  

Have you looked into the tanks that mount above the spare tire, and fill through the wheel well(or could possibly be modified to fill through the side of bed)?
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
yea, i just want it in the stock position.  I want to keep a spare in the spare holder.

Taco tank is a possibility... i dont know if its the same size and shape thought.
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
The 1st gen(-'95-'04) Tacoma tank will be the closest thing you will find to a second hand bolt in tank for the left side.  AFAIK, The 1st gen Taco's & 3rd Gen 4-Runners were the first driver side gas tank trucks Toyota produced for the US(or any market), all the rest were right side JDM style.

You might also look into the size of the Ranger and S10 tanks to see if they will work.  You might look into some of the Nissan brands or other Japanese body on frame vehicles that were built here in the U.S., anything that was built in Japan would likely all be right side fill, as that is the common side for JDM vehicles, much like the left is ours.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
runner tank wont fit in a SB first gen i thought.  aren't they LB frames? so i have to find a rolled 1st gen taco SB single cab truck? ... man this is going to be harder than i thought...  Where could i get the tank welded and does anyone know of a cost estimate?
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
weld it your self! pull the fuel pump, drain it, flash it(light it on fire from a good distance) then cut it up and weld it
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
In 86; the SB frame and 4runner were the same length;LB and Xtracab longer frame.

The SB frame was 17.3 gallons, LB frame 19.2.

Maybe latter 4 door 4runners had longer frame...........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
weld it your self! pull the fuel pump, drain it, flash it(light it on fire from a good distance) then cut it up and weld it

its the flash part that scares me... idk man.  heard stories as well as talked to a coworker of mine who responded to a call of a guy who blew himself up welding on a gas tank.  Id rather pay someone to take the risk for me.  BTW the guy was charred head to toe and died on scene... i have too many things ahead of me to take a risk like that.  Willing to pay someone in fresno area for it. =)

and im referring to length of frame compared to my 81 SB.  which is a 12.7gal tank...
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Id do it... but Im up in redding.....
I would purge for DAYS with a fan and then like they say... RIGHT AFTER PURGING WELD.... also.. AFTER FRESH AIR PURGE... purge with your shield gas, argon, or CO2. as it wont complete combustion... THEN after purge... take a torch (or if your really chicken an electric igniter with a long cord) 

the trick is purging the tank of ALL FUMES.... ALL.... DO NOT USE WATER IT SLOWS DOWN THE EVAP OF FUMES.......
after all that...  cut it and weld itt
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
last time i did it i i forgot to flash it. i went to tack the new fuel pump mount on and wooosh. flames all up my arm face etc. didnt burn me bad just more like a bad sunburn. luckly i had my welding down when i tacked it becauce i never tack with my hood down
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Then use a dryer vent tube on a car exhaust to dry them out - that was a trick Marlin told me about.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
In 86; the SB frame and 4runner were the same length;LB and Xtracab longer frame.

The SB frame was 17.3 gallons, LB frame 19.2.

Maybe latter 4 door 4runners had longer frame...........
All of the 1st-3rd gen 4-Runners were made on the short wheel base frames.  It would have made more sense to use the long bed frames for more rear seat legroom, but then again they weren't being only built for the U.S. market.

Caboose
Another cheaper option to consider might be replacing the current 12gl. oem tank w/ a larger 17gl. one from a 2nd gen 4x4.  It might not be a direct bolt -in, but it should fit.  I know the 1st and 2nd gen truck wheel bases are the same, I used a 7' bed from an '80 truck to replace the damaged bed on my Dad's '86.l  The bed fit almost perfectly, I only had to adjust the mounts a little to get the bed to fit as close to the cab, as the original bed.  Seeing how the beds interchange, I don't see why a larger tank wouldn't fit.   You might even be able to squeeze a 19gl. one in there.

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
y not just get the f150 tank that everyone uses, it goes right where the spare tire goes (lots of people use it in their runners). that way you don't have do to any welding or cutting of the tank you can just tap the lines together and get a switch to choose which pump you want to run.

or personally i would rather just carry 2 Jerry cans. gonna save you tons of money and hassle. you'll have the same capacity. and you'll be able to unload them at a campsite or at home so you aren't always dedicated to carrying another fuel tank. :twocents:

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
my thing is i like to maximize the space on my truck.  I would "like" to have a spare tire in the original location... gonna have to see how that plays out.  if not i want to put recessed tool storage there and make a baja style tailgate with a spare carrier on it.  I can have jerry cans, but once again im about maximizing storage space and why have cans when you can just mount a 2nd tank in a place where noting is currently mounted?  Not to mention it keeps your weight lower and thus your center of gravity.
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
so put a spare parts storage/tool box there?

I would do the mods on your tank for you.... just gotta get it up to me in redding and tell me what you want done. and give me a couple bucks....
might have to figure out what method to use as currently all I have is a BIG arc welder or a mapp torch with brazing rods.... probably would need a peice of steel to to fill the hole... I have an air nibbler to cut the new holes that shouldn't put any debris in your tank... and if it does too big to make it through a proper strainer.... 
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:08:54 PM by billybobf »
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
my thing is i like to maximize the space on my truck.  I would "like" to have a spare tire in the original location... gonna have to see how that plays out.  if not i want to put recessed tool storage there and make a baja style tailgate with a spare carrier on it.  I can have jerry cans, but once again im about maximizing storage space and why have cans when you can just mount a 2nd tank in a place where noting is currently mounted?  Not to mention it keeps your weight lower and thus your center of gravity.

It would probably be easiest to see if you could fit either the 17gl or 19gl. oem tanks into the original location, that would give you about 40-60% increase in fuel capacity, w/o much expense or any body work.  The 22r engine is not that thirsty and the larger tank might be all you need for your usual wheeling range.

Given the amount of tools/parts/gear most carry, it is unlikely you would have enough space with a box replacing the spare tire, not to mention having to unload the bed to get to the access door, or having to lower it from the spare tire mount.  I would go with a behind the cab between the rails(leaves the bottom of the bed open), over the rails or along the wheel wells(would leave the entire bed open).  You can often find used metal truck boxes for under $100, and often full sizes under $50.  If you have some light fab skills you can easily section/cut down a full truck box to fit a mini.

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
so put a spare parts storage/tool box there?

I would do the mods on your tank for you.... just gotta get it up to me in redding and tell me what you want done. and give me a couple bucks....
might have to figure out what method to use as currently all I have is a BIG arc welder or a mapp torch with brazing rods.... probably would need a peice of steel to to fill the hole... I have an air nibbler to cut the new holes that shouldn't put any debris in your tank... and if it does too big to make it through a proper strainer....  

i appreciate the offer, not willing to spend that much on shipping/gas to get it done yet.  no hurry maybe if im going up north sometime or if your coming around fresno.  we will keep in touch.
It would probably be easiest to see if you could fit either the 17gl or 19gl. oem tanks into the original location, that would give you about 40-60% increase in fuel capacity, w/o much expense or any body work.  The 22r engine is not that thirsty and the larger tank might be all you need for your usual wheeling range.

Given the amount of tools/parts/gear most carry, it is unlikely you would have enough space with a box replacing the spare tire, not to mention having to unload the bed to get to the access door, or having to lower it from the spare tire mount.  I would go with a behind the cab between the rails(leaves the bottom of the bed open), over the rails or along the wheel wells(would leave the entire bed open).  You can often find used metal truck boxes for under $100, and often full sizes under $50.  If you have some light fab skills you can easily section/cut down a full truck box to fit a mini.

Im not planning on ONLY using the box to fit my gear in it.  i would like to make a lockable storage compartment that i could store my tools in when im driving around town, that way i dont have to have anything in my bed in town.    It would simply add to the available storage space when wheeling.  There is an example on pirate that i can show you (From a 4runner).
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262253

This is all just in a theoretical state right now, nothing is set in stone.  I might find out i cant even do what i want.  For example, I would need to make a custom Fuel door for the driver side of the toyota.

Does anyone know if you can fit a 35" MTR in the spare tire location?  I have heard yes and no.  I have also heard that marlin carries a 37 under his rig.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, i really want to do this the way i have it pictured, just lacking the personal experience to figure out if logically i can do it.

"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
I think on my truck I had a 33.... I want to say it was close to the exhuast? I honestly think that your exhuast is going to be a BIG factor in any mods out back.... luckily california has CAT-BACK laws.... at least it did so I am hoping it still does.....

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Marlin carries a 35" and its tight with the exhaust.  Just need a little metal shield to buffer it.  

What rigs did the 17/19 gallon tanks come in?  My old nissan had a 20 gallon and I loved the range it had.  My 87 has a 12 gallon and I'm not happy with the range it has.  We have to take two rigs to Yellowstone in July, and to keep up with the wife's van, I'm gonna have to carry 2 (5 gallon) gas jugs with me.  Just so we aren't stopping as much just for me to fill up.  I can just fill the tanks with the spare jugs, at potty stops at the rest areas.  I've been thinking about a ford tank, but I want to get my spare under the back to free up my bed.  
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
The 19gls tank come on the long bed frames at least for the 3rd gens, both of my X-cabs have 19.?gl tanks.  The go amount 5-6" under the back of the cab.  It might not be a bolt in procedure, but you should be able to fit a larger tank, may have to have it sit lower, or use a small BL to get it to clear.  CheckNorthwest Metal Products, they can build larger tanks that mount into the oem location, ads well as auxiliary tanks that mount above the spare tire.  Not sure on prices, but they can give you a quote, Downey used to sell the aux. tanks for under $400 and they only lowered the spare about 4", not that bad for a lifted rig.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
could you just take a stocker  and flip it around to basicly mount the way the other side does and put the fill on the proper side ? all you would have to do is maybe redrill the pattern on the pump bracket to spin it around ( done that before.. really simple). i cant remember if the horseshoe xmember is the same on both sides.. if it is you would just have to drill 3 holes  and weld a stock bracket to the back tube
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
This is all just in a theoretical state right now, nothing is set in stone.  I might find out i cant even do what i want.  For example, I would need to make a custom Fuel door for the driver side of the toyota.
The easiest thing to do would be to cut one out of a Taco(or whatever truck you source the left side tank from) and weld it in,.  With a little body filler and paint it would look factory.  You might also be able to find a something bolt on for fuel cells like this Fender filler kit, or something like this for Jeeps.

Does anyone know if you can fit a 35" MTR in the spare tire location?  I have heard yes and no.
Looking at the '80 frame on the utility trailer I have would say you could easily fit a 37" under there side-to-side, front to back would be the issue, and exhaust pipe clearance.

The easiest thing to do would be to pull the bed off and take some measurements, possibly even fab up a test tank out of some cardboard to see if a stock tank would fit, and to get an idea what needs to be moved/rerouted. 

Looking at my '91 F-bed, I would have to use a shorter tank, the back of the cab isn't designed to go clear a gas tank on the left side, unlike it is on the right.  If the 1st gen Taco cabs are cut-out to clear the tank, you may not be able to use or may need to use a BL to give you enough clearance.

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I know if you just mount a stock tank on the reverse side, backwards so that the fill neck comes out driver side it wont clear the bed on the bottom. We tried that on my friends truck, he is now making a flat bed so it will work. 

As for cutting out the mount for the fill neck of the bed and placing in on the other side, i was planning on doing that, it will look a little weird as its not going to hug the fender flare and it will open backwards (towards the rear of the truck).

As for routing my exhaust, im planning on having a short exhaust and have it exit out the bottom of my cab that way i dont have to rout it around any obstacles by the bed. (Drive line, 2 tanks, spare tire)

So with no exhaust problems, can you fit a 35 in the rear?  I was told that since marlins truck was a LB he could fit the full size spare, since mine is a SB i cant fit it.  The shock mount gets in the way.  Can anyone confirm this?
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
HEY, just to chime in again... could you block off the fill neck? if so..... you could just run a HIGH flow transfer pump that you turn on while you are filling your tanks....it would be a pain WHILE you are filling up.... it might take you a little longer to fill up... but so would having to turn around to fill up the other side?
when you hook up the transfer tank... just have one of the tubes thats at the top of the tank pour over into the primary tank... while filling... when that tank filled up it would just keep pumping and pour back into the primary and your tank would be full? OR throw on a two inch body lift and rout the hoses together? making a Y for the filler tubes to merge? both fill up at the same time

Caboose [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
thought about that.  Another option i was thinking about.  You would have a "transfer switch" in the truck to pump 12gal over to the other tank.  I thought it about early on and figured i might as well just let gravity do its thing and mount a 5gal jerry can in the bed and run a fuel line out the bottom of the can into the fill neck of the tank.  That way i could just open an electronic valve and let 5gal dump into my tank.  No pump needed...

I think im going to attempt to run the dual tanks.  Ill find someone local to do the welding.  Does anyone have a tank they want to donate to the cause?  Anyone in redding area in particular? that way i can kick billy bob some cash to cut and weld it for me =)

Parts list for this project: (Let me know if im forgetting anything)

Fuel tank (EFI or Carb)
Fuel Tank Mounts
Fill neck hose
Metal Fuel Door/Parts from bed
External Fuel Pump (Min 40psi)
4 way switching valve
Y connect for evap lines

SMOG Ref told me that you can use your charcoal canister on you Toyota for up to 50gal before you need a 2nd one.

If anyone has any parts available to help with this project please let me know.  I would like to do this right after i find my EFI parts.
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
As for cutting out the mount for the fill neck of the bed and placing in on the other side, i was planning on doing that, it will look a little weird as its not going to hug the fender flare and it will open backwards (towards the rear of the truck).

You should be able to use a door from a left side tank, it doesn't have to be from a 1st gen Toyota to work.  You also wouldn't have to have in the oem location.  Depending on how the tank is set-up/filler neck location, you could likely install the gas door in front of the flare similar to this Chevy S10, and it would open to the front.

If all of the other ideas fail/appear to be more work/money than they are worth, the 5gl. in bed idea isn't a bad one.  You could mount one on each side, either in front of(better center of gravity) or in back of the wheel wells and fab up some panels w/a vent to lock/enclose them.  Those areas are often dead space when hauling most things, and with them enclosed you wouldn't have to worry about gas getting on camping gear, groceries, non-refuse, etc.  You could plumb them into the filler neck just above the tank, and either have them gravity fed, electric vale, petcock valve, or if they exist very low pressure one way valves.  It shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred to do, and you would almost double your range.