Author Topic: Matts 85runna Build  (Read 91493 times)

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
Matts 85runna Build
« on: Apr 02, 2008, 08:54:03 PM »
    Hey everyone, i have been building building up my truck for about a half year now, and i thought it was about time to make a thread. the reason i put it off was becasue i didn't have a camera.. -lame- i don't know about you guys but i hate threads without pics... so i decided to put it off till i got one. i have saved up a few pictures from mods here and there, nothing to fancy but there will be much more to come. heres the scoop, me aj (stealth bomber built) and little buddy all drove to L.A to pic it up. i had been looking for an 85 efi with sr5 interior for quit a while. once i found this i got on it. although it needed major engine work i still wanted it for i was jut looking for a clean un-molested rig. we showed up at the guys house and basically the whole engine was covered in oil and it was spewed all the way back to the tail gate with drafted oil splatter on the rear window. it took the guy 5 minutes to start the damn thing. this didn't stoke me out since he had said  it would make it back to Chico. but no way was i commin home empty handed by this time i didn't care i was just mad that he wasn't honest with me cause i would have just brought a trailer. at the time i didn't know what was causing it or didn't necessarily want to deal with it down there but the clutch master cylinder and slave was out and i had no reverse and it was VERy hard to get into gear. after i made the transaction we headed off. our goal was to make it to the grape vine to camp and complete the journey in the morning. we got only 10 minutes away from his house and it started overheating. we all fiddled with it but nothing was helping anything (this was all before i knew much about anything). we ended up having to get it towed to the top of the grape vine lillbuddy bounced (like his as* had the hiccups), me and aj loaded food up and just wanted to drive to the campsite and call it a day. on the way to the campsite i was boggin up a hill, a shotgun sound went off and a huge plume om white smoke engulfed the car behind us :flamer:, the guy behind pulled over with us and was able to give us a few quarts of oil. it luckily started again barely getting us to the campsite. low and behold the camp site we were staying at was an ATV playground, i didn't get much sleep since a lot of people decided to go on night runs. in the morning we took off bright and early hoping that we would make it as fas as possible before having to get towed again. i found that if i kept it around 47mph it would run hot but not fully overheat. we made it all the way to sac till it decided to finally start to give out. by then it was in the red the whole time so we frequently stopped, we had been driving for 12 hours and i was over it so we just went for it and didn't care when it was in red. (i was gonna replace the engine anyways). anyways i could go on for days but we finally made it home without having to get town that day and when i ripped the old engine out. all the coolant ports were clogged, i even found what looked like a small branches throughout the colling system. each piston could be moved around inside the block. it also had a Horrible rod knock. after stripping it from good parts i took it to the scrap metal yard and got .01$ a pound, which ending up putting 2.50$ in my pocket :willynilly:

i bought another 87 engine from my buddy, swapped harnesses and plopped her in. runs amazing and has tons of power. also put new clutch master and slave in... easily fixing that problem. had to replace heater core. besides replacing those few things the rest have been all upgrades. besides it having new 33's and a little bit of a lift everything else was stock. so far everything has been a great learning experience.
here a few shots. ill get some more up of the buildup parts within the next few days

this one was taken right when i pulled the head off, before i unclogged the coolant channels with a screwdriver

i like getting deep while i work ;)

new engine in

shortly after first easy wheelin trip to high lakes

so far besides all the "fun" stuff i installed an Aussie locker in front. converted to ifs box. inherited lillbuddies homemade hysteer for now. rock lights. sliders. exhaust. slight fender trim. bored out part of gears in tilt gauge cluster so that both will exceed 30 degrees and lots of other little odds and ends. rear bumper. HID conversion headlights. got some used 36 tsl's (old fashion style). made legit O.B.A setup with ac pump. put in a sweet stereo system. made hybrid pack to put up front for more lift and moved axle 4 inches forward. bigger shackles in rear and V'd my shocks. added c.b radio setup. LOTS more will be done its just a matter of money, when it comes to my truck i shop till i drop
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:07:55 PM by -Matt- »

Colt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 196
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: Clowns 85runna Build
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2008, 11:41:37 PM »
i like getting deep while i work ;)

:ha_ha: thats so familiar!  :ha_ha:

Nice clean build!  :thumbs:

That were heavily clogged coolant ports on the old engine...  :scared: Have never seen that before.

solar86yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Solar-Rockin' the IFS till it dies!(Then it sits)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2008, 12:01:57 AM »
Very cool Runner, keep up the good work!!!
By the time I get the money for an SAS I'll be 65 at this rate!

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »
thank both of you, im pretty stoked on the whole thing

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 2,470
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2008, 03:55:15 PM »
nice lookin rig, and thanks for the novel in the first post... :rofl:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2008, 03:57:24 PM »
sick tight... finally a build thread.

The b est part about the truck was when you aj and i went to get it fo sho :yupyup:

BTW that pic of my truck and ur runner looks sickkkkkkkkkkkk in your avatar
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2008, 04:11:56 PM »
Any pics of it now with the 36s and the other mods? :dunno: The SR5 interior looks nice and clean without any holes in the seats. Almost unheard of to see an interior like that in a 23 year old rig. :thumbs:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »
until i get more pics up here a little project i did a while back, before i got the truck i decided to make some 6x9 speaker box mounts for my roll bar. i wanted to create a simple design that would be indestructible, cheap, clean, and easy. i also wanted to be able to swivel my speakers 180 degrees around so they would point out the rear for optimum loudness...for those certain trail stops where everyones saucy and havin a fun time. i don't remember the specific size tubing i used to make the design but its about the same material ass the roll bar. i found 2 pieces of tubing that fit tightly within each other and used the inner piece to mount too a sheet metal plate which mounts to my speaker box. i welded the other tube that sleeved over the inner one to my roll bar, and made guided groves in it. when it was all in i drilled a hole and put a hefty screw in it...which follows the guided holes. (kinda hard to explain but pictures will clarify). i drilled small holed in the roll bar to guide the wire through so that it would be hidden for a clean look. thought id post them for anyone looking for a project to do to their runner. the placement and angle of the speakers sounds incredible.

looking at rear right speaker from driver seat (pointing backwards)

looking at rear right speaker from driver seat (pointing forwards(

at each end of the 180 degree turn i made a little slumped hole so that the screw would stay in  unless you pushed the bottom of the speaker up and swivel it so that its not turnin on you while your driving or bumpin around.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Clowns 85runna Build (speaker project pics up)
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2008, 05:40:15 PM »
wow your a dirty boy......

I like the speakers thats waycool.

But thats So says steal me :attention:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Re: Clowns 85runna Build (speaker project pics up)
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2008, 06:28:47 PM »
ya i know what u mean if thought about it but iv done some preventing. i have a hidden fuel cut off switch that i always flick at night, plus it would be fun trying to get the speakers off fast, thats also y i bought the cheapest 6x9s i could find so if they get stolen im nothing more than Extremely angry, my subs are old and i got for free. the amps are the only things that are nice and i care about and u have to literally unbolt both seats, and by then they'd be dead. :flamer:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
thats a cool setup. really good idea too, kinda reminds me of a boat setup...
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
looking good man
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
ya thats exactly what i was shooting for was something similar to a wakeboarding boat tower setup

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
yea, the only thing id be a little bit worried about was theft like somebody mentioned. but it looks fairly sturdy so hopefully not a problem. it would defintitely be nice in the summe with the top off or partying in the woods...

Doof

• Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
o :pokinit: clown... ive been telling you for only 4 months to make a thread... anyways ill go through my pics and post up other mods and some good wheelin pics of your shiz....

also, i have the 17.5 units next semester with you hahaha, o flopp thats gunna suck

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
i know man, freekin 18 units of nothing but men and metal its gonna be sick.

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Re: Clowns 85runna Build (O.B.A update)
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »
well here are the pics from the O.B.A i put on a little bit ago.

after searching everywhere for an inline oiler i decided to give napa a try. luckily there was one left in the Sacramento store. plus it was one sale :burnout:, the oiler came out to be about 35$ and you can adjust the oil flow.

next i picked up a water oil separator, from what people said about them easily melting from the heat i searched for days until i finally found a metal one that was rated for 175 degrees. most of the other ones were 145 max. i also was able to snag an adjustable pressure switch from an only trashy garage compressor. this saved me 50$

i went to home depot to get all my fitting after finding out that for some reason lowes doesn't have crap for fitting. all of the fitting are 1/4 and i was able to find a 3 inch piece of steel 1/4 straight coupler so that i could actually weld it to my bracket, so i would have something more solid than what iv seen done with zip ties.

i made a little bracket for the setup with some 12 gauge

then i drilled holes on the top of the wheel well where i was planning to mount it.
i tried to find coupler pieces that would fit on the stock a.c pump, but that was pretty much impossible. so i decided to just use the existing lines and cut each other end and slip them over the hose fitting i found. i had to bend the aluminum part on the out line pretty hardcore and actually went through 2 because the first time i was bending i was being a dummy and broke it. :hammerhead:

after the bracket was in place i tack welded the tubes in place and then took it out and finished it off since it was underneath everything. i must have been  :cool: or something cause when i wired the pressure switch up i almost burnt my truck down, i wish i had a video of it cause you guys would giggle but, man there was lotsss off smoke and feet of wire that turned into hot red coils. after a few tries i finally managed to get it right :driving:.

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »
shits so damn clean.... i still cant believe how clean it is

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2008, 03:14:22 PM »
clowny... take a pic of your rocklight switch set up... i forgot what it looks like. i was just looking at the for sale thread of this and now i forgot what your current set up is upfront

if that makes sense

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2008, 06:37:46 PM »
heres my rock light setup left switch for 2 on the left side and right switch for 2 on the right

and heres the sweet new xm i just put in the other day

Doof

• Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2008, 07:45:19 PM »
when did you get XM?

and where did you get the plastic piece for your rocklight mount

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:20:25 PM »
i got ones that were metal so that i could tack weld the brackets on if u got ones with plastic mounts take them back for a swap

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:24:24 PM »
:eye:

:thumbs:

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:41:14 PM »
Any napa part numbers on that oiler by chance
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:51:20 PM »
ehh i dont know, ill have to check when i go back to my moms house its where i save all my receipts. i would immagine i saved it but im not sure. u should be able to go there and just ask them to look in their catalogs for inline oilers thats all i did and they found that one.

Goose

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 1,029
  • Member since Mar '07
  • >>Goose maN<<
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2008, 04:02:56 AM »
Im so copying your on board air system.. but im running it to a tank mounted under the bed somewhere...
Baller Status: Coming Soon To A Toyota Near You!...   :afro:

My Life Is A Very Complicated Drinking Game... -Me

90 ext. cab v6, SAS'd, 37's

94 4runner -work in progress

www.slagfactory.com

My Buildups:
'90 ext. cab
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=38260.new#new
'94 4Runner
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=53882.new#new

Mavericks

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2535
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2008, 06:57:40 AM »
I like your attention to detail.  Looks good keep it up.  Lets see some pics of those 36s mounted!
1985 toyota SR5, 22re,  5.29's locked front and rear, duals with twin stick, longfields.

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 17, 2008, 07:11:01 AM »
next i picked up a water oil separator, from what people said about them easily melting from the heat i searched for days until i finally found a metal one that was rated for 175 degrees. most of the other ones were 145 max.

Nice clean job. :beerchug:

On the plastic one I used it was not the outside that melted, it was the insides of the filter that melted, the plastic bowl was fine.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Goose

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 1,029
  • Member since Mar '07
  • >>Goose maN<<
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »
Hey matt, How about a wiring diagram of how you made that regulator work?
Did you just splice it in so it regulates the power to the clutch on the compressor?
Baller Status: Coming Soon To A Toyota Near You!...   :afro:

My Life Is A Very Complicated Drinking Game... -Me

90 ext. cab v6, SAS'd, 37's

94 4runner -work in progress

www.slagfactory.com

My Buildups:
'90 ext. cab
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=38260.new#new
'94 4Runner
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=53882.new#new

-Matt- [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club