Author Topic: Dual fuel Tanks  (Read 4914 times)

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
Dual fuel Tanks
« on: Mar 03, 2005, 08:41:17 AM »
Ok I post earlier about what fuel tank to run.  I am still wieghing my options and on option is to run duel full tanks. I have a second fuel tank I can use I just need to know what it would take to hook it up.  I can mount it no problem it is incorpareting it with the current system.  THe truck is a 80 short bed carb,  I have a flat bed so I have more room to play with than most.

So lets here the ideas, links to pages with pics, shots in the dark, just trying to make sure I do this once and not  :smack:  for not thinking of something after I do it.

donkeykong [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '03
    • View Profile
Re: Dual fuel Tanks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2005, 12:50:46 PM »

DUAL TANK PLUMBING KIT
If using the new fuel cell as a stand alone main tank, you will not need special plumbing hardware, simply route a pickup hose from tank to fuel pump. If using the fuel cell in conjunction with the original equipment tank, special plumbing hardware, and an electric switching valve are required. This plumbing kit includes an electric switching valve, “T” fitting, 25 ft. of 5/16” fuel hose, 10 hose clamps, a hose barb, and #6AN block-off nuts. A DPDT toggle switch is optional.
71005-PK    Plumbing Kit    
$ 91.22
84110    DPDT Toggle Switch    
$ 15.60

THis is from downey.  Does this sound about right as far as what I will need and price......Come on guys I need some input here

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2005, 08:35:42 PM »
Go easy on your self.  1 cheap electric fuel pump, a few feet of hose, 1 switch and some wire.  Just use the second tank as a transfer tank, no gauge issues, no smog issues.  When main gets low flip switch and move fuel from reserve to main.  KISS.
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

donkeykong [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2005, 08:52:20 PM »
THanks ferg I have read a few articals online and that looks like the best way.  What type of fuel pump?  would it be inbetween the tanks or actually in the second tank. Sorry I have never messed with the fuel system so dont know alot of this stuff?  But I am not afraid to learn and diffently not afraid to ask

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2005, 09:00:24 AM »
FWIR, transfer tanks are only legal in OTR's.

If you do opt for a transfer tank then you need to watch your fuel guage to make sure that you do not overfill the primary or you'll have a serious fire possibility.

The GM 6-way valve is something like $50 It'll switch both the supply and return lines. Use a DPDT switch, one to control the valve and one to switch the sender. That seems simpler to me than a transfer pump coupled with not knowing how much fuel is in the Aux tank.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2005, 11:46:43 PM »
Ditto on the transfer pump setup, if I can find a fuel cell or boat tank that's what I'm gonna do too.  I have a grip of small electric fuel pumps that I keep for truck spares and was planning on semi-permanently mounting one between the tanks, running a switch to the dash and just transfer fuel when I need it.  I planned this mostly for use on longer hunting or road trips cause I usually take a few cans anyway and this would be a much safer and more convenient way to fill up.  The same basic style pump I'm using can be had at Kragen for about $35 I believe, little black plastic, but if you buy that one get a thick rubber grommet and put if between the pump and whatever you mount it to, they're pretty loud but that damps the sound pretty well.  It's easy to wire, just ground to the frame, run a fused hot lead off battery to switch and a wire from switch to pump. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2005, 06:41:49 AM »
Hey-

Why not just use a EFI tank and route the high pressure line directly into your primary tank. This is the most simple way. No external pumps and everything is factory Toyota. When you are low on fuel, just hit a switch and watch your gauge raise slowly. Use a new EFI sending unit that has the low level warning light, and wire that up to the light in your toggle switch or something. Then when that light comes on, you know you've only got about a gallon left in your reserve tank and you can turn the switch off..

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

donkeykong [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2005, 08:36:52 AM »
Big Mike, you guys would happen to have an extra EFI tank lieing around at the shop? :eyebrow:  :eyebrow: