Author Topic: fuel pump and fuel tanks info  (Read 5078 times)

robrub00

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -231
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Apr '05
  • One Day Ill be actually driving my toyota!
    • View Profile
fuel pump and fuel tanks info
« on: Nov 12, 2006, 10:58:46 AM »
so I have been working on my 22rte for 2 years now andI didnt plan on
it taking this long. the fuel has been sitting in the tank. what
should I do before I put the rebuilt engine in? how can I clean out
the tank and lines? I dontwant to gumm up my 440 supra injectors that
im putting in. shoul i replace the tank. ive been thinking about
getting a fuel cell to put where the spare tire is in my 4runner,
anyone doing this? also I was wondering I have an 85 4runner that
this 86 22rte is going into. is the fuel pump different? should I
get a different fuel pump. what would be esiest to wire up. I ve
heard the v6 toyota fuel pumps and the landcruiser fuel pumps are more
flow than the 4cylinder ones > Could It be a direct replacement. Do
I need to get a fuel pump assembly from a 86 or newer toyota? Can
some one help me figure out what I need. I dont want to be suprised
when I get everything installed. also I remeber seeing a article on here or on pirate about ford van tanks and how they could be put were the spare goes but i cant find the post.  im lost!!!! sorry for the newbie question
 here are pics of 2 types of fuel pumps I have seen on the internet?  which would I have and which would i need.  my 85 was efi to beginwith.  the first actually came from a 88 extra cab 2wd  and the next came from a 87 4runner.i was trying to find the stock fuel tank capacities as well.  i found it on pirate before i thought but i searched til 3 am last night with no luck.  help someone

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
Re: fuel pump and fuel tanks info
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2006, 08:10:21 AM »
I would recommend going to a fuel cell. If you do go to a ford tank, you will either have have to fab in your toy pump or stick with the ford pump. If you do stick with a ford pump, your gas tank will read empty when its full and vice-versa. Here is the article you were looking for about the Ford tanks on pirate.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484247

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2006, 11:56:03 PM »
cool thanks it was in the general disscussion I looked in the toyota section.  it didnt show up in google either.   this led me to a whole bunch of other  posts as well.  it looks like the 1993 ford f150's tanks were the same as well. 17 gallons and small dimensions.  they look  the same.    might be eisier to find too.  I need to deside what I have to do.  I would want to try to use the toyota internals inside the tank.  But I am worried about trying to drill the tank with gas fuems.  but if I clean it enought it should be fine.  i might keep the stock tank for now.  i dont know I have time.  the engine isnt back yet.  thanks for the help

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:53:15 AM »
The Toyota internals are built for a particular tank depth...the Ford tank will probably be shallower, if you intend to mount it where the spare goes, and even though you could extend the EFI pump pickup tube, the float arm on the sending unit would not have the same travel as the Ford arm. You might get a rough idea of fuel level, but it would'nt be accurate. It would probably show a quarter tank remaining when you were out of gas.

JC Whitney offers a couple of different sending units that have different ohm-ages (resistance), and the float arms are adjustable for different tank depths. I think the Toyota fuel gauge needs a sending unit with a resistance of 90 ohms.

Liquid gasoline is Not flammable...the fumes, however, are explosive when mixed with air in an enclosed space. When gasoline burns, it's actually the fumes burning on the surface of the liquid. You can weld or drill on any fuel tank safely if you wash it out several times with soap and water, and do your work right away so residual fumes don't have time to concentrate. If it makes you feel better, after you wash it out, fill it most of the way with water...this will minimize the air space inside the tank, reducing the area that fumes can form in. I have welded and cut on many tanks without any problem after taking these simple precautions.

I build high-capacity fuel tanks out of aluminum...my '84 Toyota has (2) 30-gallon tanks under it. I could build you a custom tank if you wanted...but why do you want to relocate the fuel tank, anyway?
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2006, 08:21:37 AM »
Two 30Gal. tanks...nice. Do you have any installed pics? Post up some details please about mounting locations for your designs. I was looking into doing the same mod I linked below to keep the tank up and out of the rocks as much as possible. Reading the fuel guage in reverse is no problem, but using a custom filler hose was going to be a pain on the ford tanks. I also like the idea of gaining capacity, but I think one 30gal. tank would be plenty for me.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2006, 09:29:34 AM »
Personally i'd stick with the stock tank. It's already mounted and plumbed. It should hold about 14 gallons. I see your runner was originally an efi, so the pump should be in the tank. I'm not sure volume wise for the turbo and bigger injectors. I would try it with the stock efi pump first. If you have runability probs especially at high rpm's then you will probably need a bigger pump. 84-86 Supras have the pump in the tank, so it would probably be pretty easy to retro one of those in.
First though, I would yank that tank out and pull the pump and sending unit and clean the crap out of it. I'm not sure what would work best. Maybe a gallon can of carb cleaner. Pour it in and slosh it around for a day or two. Then dump it, put some fresh cleaner in and push it through the fuel lines with the other side opened up and dumping into a container. What ever you do, you don't want to run any of that crap gas through your system after doing all this work. Make sure you get all the carb cleaner out of the system before you hook it back up to the engine.

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2006, 02:31:51 PM »
cool I think I will try the carb cleaner first. and clean it out.  I wonder if the v6 pump has the same conectors. i think the v6 pump has  higger psi.than the supra but im not sure.  i think land cruisers do to if I remember right.  I think I will buy a new strainer  so I dont have to worry about cleaning that part.   I might use some new gas to try and clean the tank as well.  I deffinatly dont want to run the old gas through the new engine.   I paid too much for it.  I wonder IF it would be expensive to get new fuel  lines?  any have those part numbers.  Im going to try to look them up If I get time off work today.  I have a v6 pump i got off ebay a while back, used.  I hope it is in the tank on my 85.  is the carbed toyota the ones with the odd looking pumps? like my first pic?  thanks for the help on such a newbie problem./  I m still learning with this engine stuff 

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2006, 02:39:45 PM »
I replace and rebuild Toyota 4x4 frames as well, and have replaced the frame from the middle of the cab back on my '84 XtraCab. Instead of one 2.25"x4.75" rectangular frame rail per side, i have two 2"x2" over-under frame rails per side. I also relocated my crossmembers, so my 30-gallon tank is not mounted exactly stock.

I could go look at an XtraCab i used to own, and build a larger-capacity tank that would mount to the stock crossmembers though.

My explanation of my frame may not be real clear, so here's a pic. The tanks are located on either side of the driveshaft, the exhaust runs between the driver's side frame rails. (Tanks and exhaust not installed in this pic. Picture was taken from inside the truck cab, after having cut out the back of the cab).

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2006, 03:55:33 PM »
Yes, the pump in the top picture is a mechanical pump from a carb motor.
It may be cheaper to make your own gas lines rather than buying oem new ones. If not once the tank is clean, then you can wire the pump up to your battery and run some cleaner through those lines before you hook it up to the motor.

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2006, 04:44:54 PM »
 :biggthumpup: :thumbs:  your the man!!!!!  things are much clearer now.  Ill do that then I can Just save some money for other things I need to do to get this thing running.  ive collected so many parts I need time to install them all.  I cant wait to start my build up thread.  its going to be slow.  but I think cool for a beginer.  im not doing anything ive not seen done already but I plan on dooing good writeups for everything so other newbies can learn off of what I do.  thanks again for the help.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2006, 04:52:54 PM »
No prob, definetly do some web searching for others that have done this motor to see what pump they are running. Or just get the pump that the original 22r turbo motor uses.
There should be some info out there about what pressure and volume it needs.

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2006, 12:35:50 AM »
cool thanks

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2007, 09:35:41 AM »
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1075663  just thought i would add this link here in case anyone else is trying to find it.  im still looking for a tank