Author Topic: Project Snoopy: 85 4Runna - Rebuild 1.0  (Read 159597 times)

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Looks like I'm not gonna make it to the TTORA thing  :down: Just too much goin on for me to make it work out.

However, I plan to have it ready for Rocktoberfest in Cass, Ark., and a buddy of mine is bringing his Early Bronco on rockwells and 44s. It's pretty nasty.

Deal is in progress on the Tacoma. Looks like it might just work out  :love:

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Get the Runner going, and I'll round up some folks to make a "break in run" at the park.  :driving:

Don't worry about missing the event. There are a few people that have told me that they can't make it now.  :therethere:
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Jordan,  dude, if you need help this weekend  i'll be there to do whatever i can help with

whether you can make the event or not  :thumbs:

Tacoma looks  great,  cant go wrong on that sweet ride
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Get the Runner going, and I'll round up some folks to make a "break in run" at the park.  :driving:

Don't worry about missing the event. There are a few people that have told me that they can't make it now.  :therethere:
Well, should I post another event somewhere, or just see what works with you and a few others? I'd like Dennis Fant to come as well, so I'll call him and see.

Jordan,  dude, if you need help this weekend  i'll be there to do whatever i can help with

whether you can make the event or not  :thumbs:

Tacoma looks  great,  cant go wrong on that sweet ride

Man, I certainly appreciate the offer. I won't be there this weekend, and I think Snoop's still in the shop. I dunno what's gonna go down the weekend of the TTORA thing. Kinda sucks, but it'll be okay :)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
i assume the taco is gonna be a daily driver/wheeler :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Well, I'm not sure it's gonna happen now. The owners are convinced it's a Tacoma LIMITED Xtra Cab, which adds $1500 to the price on KBB. We've tried to tell them it's just an SR5 package, but they don't know much about Toyotas. They won't budge on the price, so it's not happening until they realize what it is. They called the dealer and were told to put that option on there so they could get the 4wd option to pop up. Go to autotrader, check out the pickup, then go to KBB.com and tell me what it's worth, Glen. I'm almost 100% positive that it can't be SR5 badging and limited. Dumb fawks...

It would be my DD and recovery vehicle if I have nothing else and friends get stuck. He won't be recovering Snoop, though. That's a little out of the DD league.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
im o
Well, I'm not sure it's gonna happen now. The owners are convinced it's a Tacoma LIMITED Xtra Cab, which adds $1500 to the price on KBB. We've tried to tell them it's just an SR5 package, but they don't know much about Toyotas. They won't budge on the price, so it's not happening until they realize what it is. They called the dealer and were told to put that option on there so they could get the 4wd option to pop up. Go to autotrader, check out the pickup, then go to KBB.com and tell me what it's worth, Glen. I'm almost 100% positive that it can't be SR5 badging and limited. Dumb fawks...

It would be my DD and recovery vehicle if I have nothing else and friends get stuck. He won't be recovering Snoop, though. That's a little out of the DD league.
im on it like white on rice :bolt:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
im on it like white on rice :bolt:

Good work, man!

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Well, should I post another event somewhere, or just see what works with you and a few others? I'd like Dennis Fant to come as well, so I'll call him and see.

You can post up if you want, or just keep it small. I know 3 folks in Central AR (counting myself) that will wheel anytime almost.

As for that Taco, does it say "Limited" or "SR5" on the tailgate, under "Tacoma".

The VIN says it's an SR5:
Digit 7: For Trucks, it's trim level (for Cars, it's SRS classification)
On Tacomas in 2000, all are "2" except for the Limited edition, which is "4".
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2008, 05:37:09 PM by YotaJosh »
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
You can post up if you want, or just keep it small. I know 3 folks in Central AR (counting myself) that will wheel anytime almost.

As for that Taco, does it say "Limited" or "SR5" on the tailgate, under "Tacoma".

The VIN says it's an SR5:
Digit 7: For Trucks, it's trim level (for Cars, it's SRS classification)
On Tacomas in 2000, all are "2" except for the Limited edition, which is "4".

I believe the more the merrier. I'll just make sure that you can do it that weekend. I'm looking at the weekend of Oct. 11th or 18th.

Thanks for the find on that. Clearly it's an SR5. The people who own it are convinced they have to mark it as a limited on NADA.com to get it right. "That's what the Toyota dealership told us." Retards...

I prefer KBB.com or Edmunds.com

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Miracles do happen, I guess...  :banana:

The lady took the Taco' to the Toyota Dealership today, and they informed her it wasn't a Limited. She called my dad and asked if we'd be interested in it for $15,800. My dad said to consider it sold.  :clap2:

I talked with my dad, and he and I both said that we'd be willing to go to $17K. I talked with a friend of mine who works at a dealership, and he said they can't keep them on the lot for less than $19k. He said $17K would be a deal.

Moral of the story: it all works out in the end  :biggthumpup:

Again, I'm looking at a shakedown run the weekend of the 11th or the 18th. Please let me know if you'd like to come. All are welcome. Probably go to Superlift in Hot Springs. Josh (YotaJosh), Glen (79coyotefrg), and I'm sure Dennis will probably be there if all goes well   :king:

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Way to go!  :cool:

The 18th works better for me. I got a family thing the 11th.
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Way to go!  :cool:

The 18th works better for me. I got a family thing the 11th.

Okay, pencil me in for the 18th if you don't mind. I may be able to move the date up a little, but not back. I'm supposed to be going to Rocktoberfest, which is the weekend of the 31st.

I'll keep ya posted on the Taco'. I'm excited about it!

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
Okay, pencil me in for the 18th if you don't mind. I may be able to move the date up a little, but not back. I'm supposed to be going to Rocktoberfest, which is the weekend of the 31st.

I'll keep ya posted on the Taco'. I'm excited about it!

Is this October the 18th? I'm itching to wheel but life has gotten busy and I prolly won't be making either of the ARTTORA or the TAC events I had planned. The TAC event is still in the air for a week or so, I still have to figure a move in date in the new home, so for now nothings happening. STUPID PRIORIETYS!  :mad:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Is this October the 18th? I'm itching to wheel but life has gotten busy and I prolly won't be making either of the ARTTORA or the TAC events I had planned. The TAC event is still in the air for a week or so, I still have to figure a move in date in the new home, so for now nothings happening. STUPID PRIORIETYS!  :mad:

Yep, October 18th, but I'll wheel whenever you say  :biggthumpup:  If I don't wheel with you that weekend, hopefully we can figure something else out. You wanna go to Flat Nasty again? May sound ghey, but I wanna wheel with you  :slap:

Seriously, whenever you figure out that you can wheel, I'll do my best to make it happen on my end. I plan to wheel the 11th or 18th of October, but I'm flexible. 

Going to pick up the Taco' tomorrow  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Good thing I found it when I did. The water pump in the 2002 Blazer my dad's loanin' me (he got a new car) just went out. Timing couldn't have been any better.  :yesnod:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Picked up the Taco yesterday morning at 9:30. I'm in love  :love:

He's so much fun to drive. I'm accustomed to an auto SUV, so this is neat having a truck with a 5 speed.

I'll post up more pics later. Had to leave Fayetteville around 5 to leave for St. Louis. Have a wedding today at 5:30 here. Anna's cousin is getting married  :beerchug:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
:worthless:

Haha! You want pics of the wedding? I can do that tonight....  :cheese:

Update on Snoop:
I called the shop on Thursday, and the computer seemed to have fixed the engine troubles. I told them to look at the power steering leak on top of the box, and they seem to think I cross-threaded a brake line at the MC.  :hammerhead: Dang... I'll call on Monday and get see what his status is.

I plan to drive home next weekend with the Taco and Blazer. This way I get rid of one vehicle. I also plan to work on Snoop that weekend and go see the fellas at Superlift for the TTORA event. That's just the plan as of right now. If Snoop's not ready, I doubt I'll go home.  :outtahere:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Haha! You want pics of the wedding? I can do that tonight....  :cheese:

Update on Snoop:
I called the shop on Thursday, and the computer seemed to have fixed the engine troubles. I told them to look at the power steering leak on top of the box, and they seem to think I cross-threaded a brake line at the MC.  :hammerhead: Dang... I'll call on Monday and get see what his status is.

I plan to drive home next weekend with the Taco and Blazer. This way I get rid of one vehicle. I also plan to work on Snoop that weekend and go see the fellas at Superlift for the TTORA event. That's just the plan as of right now. If Snoop's not ready, I doubt I'll go home.  :outtahere:
well taco pics are preferred, but watever ya got works too.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
well taco pics are preferred, but watever ya got works too.

Here ya go :>) Pics not mine, though.

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I plan on going home this Saturday to work on Snoop. This is hinged on Snoop coming out of the shop on Friday, though.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to take him to the park on Sunday, but it just MIGHT happen. Otherwise, I plan to come hang out Saturday and kick it with the Toyota homies.

Cross your fingers, kids  :crossed:

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
 :crossed: :crossed:

Feel free to come hang out some. I know of quite a few free seats if you want to just come and ride.

Or bring the Taco, and break it in properly on some 2's.  :gap:
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
:crossed: :crossed:

Feel free to come hang out some. I know of quite a few free seats if you want to just come and ride.

Or bring the Taco, and break it in properly on some 2's.  :gap:

Hehe... Parents would beat me. I promised them once I got Snoop that he'd be the only thing I was beating up on. Timmy is just an insurance policy for the friends if Snoop's not available. He's pretty capable, I believe.  :driving:

I might bum a ride, but it all depends on how much needs to get done with Snoop. I can't keep putting off work for fun. I might actually have to work on him this weekend.  :yupyup:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I'm disgusted right now. I put Snoop in the shop 4 weeks ago, I believe, and when Dad went to pick him up today, the guy hadn't really done much of anything. What a waste...

The guy tells me I need to put in a new cold start injector, reset the timing to 5 degrees shorted, and one other thing. I don't know where the cold start injector is, and I'm definitely not in the know about doing the timing. Please HELP!

I'm going home at about 10:00 AM this Saturday morning to finish up some stuff, so hopefully it'll all work out. GEESH!!!! :hammerhead: :smack:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
im sure we can find someone with EFI knowledge  to get it timed AND  find that cold start injector

get it out of that idiots shop and get it home

i busted a ring gear in my elocker :down:

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
im sure we can find someone with EFI knowledge  to get it timed AND  find that cold start injector

get it out of that idiots shop and get it home

i busted a ring gear in my elocker :down:

Glen, how'd it all turn out with the TTORA thing? I rolled up just to see you leave. Boo...  :outtahere: Sorry to hear about your Ring gear. That's ghey...  :stopit:

UPDATE:
Dad pulled Snoop out of that guy's shop on Friday. He had swapped computers, spliced in some new injector harnesses, but really not much other than that. I was pissed at first, but the guy didn't charge us ANYTHING for all the work he did.  :bowdown: I think he just got fed up and he's behind and low on help, too.

I put a new cold-start injector in (the guy gave it to me  :beerchug: ) and it seemed to run better. I fixed the power steering leak, put in a different MC (I cross-threaded one of the brake lines...  :hammerhead: ), bled the brakes, put in more coolant, tightened a coolant hose, and took it for a spin. He still runs like crap, but he runs better.

I think I still need to have it properly timed. I have it at 15 degrees BTDC by way of the bottom pulley, but I'm supposed to have it at 5 degrees short-circuited? How the heck do you set timing PROPERLY???  :dunno:

I'm going home next weekend as well, and I hope to have Snoop ready to roll. Probably won't happen, but I need to keep making progress.

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Thought I'd share a story with ya'll  :psss:

Josh called me Friday night and said that he had a friend who had broken several leaves in one of his packs on his FJ-40. He wanted to know where I lived so he could come over to tack it all back together with the welder. I asked him about the leaves to see if maybe I had some laying around. Sure enough, the springs I took off Snoop ( 3" Rough Country) might do the trick.

I loaded up the springs I had, an angle grinder with cutoff wheel, some other stuff and went with my dad to the park after dinner. I only was able to hang out for about 20 minutes or so, but I was able to see Dennis, Michael, and the other hardcore Toyotas roll out for a night run.

I had a voicemail today, and Josh said that they were able to patch up the Cruiser well enough to get him home. I guess they trailered it, maybe? I dunno. Josh will probably chime in. I went out to the park today and picked up my angle grinder.

Here's the moral of the story - keep all the stuff you think is worthless crap. I was planning on taking those leaves to the scrap yard, but I think I'll keep the rest of them. I'm glad I live so close to the park and was able to help. That's the true spirit of four-wheeling - helping others  :thumbs:

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Thought I'd share a story with ya'll  :psss:

Josh called me Friday night and said that he had a friend who had broken several leaves in one of his packs on his FJ-40. He wanted to know where I lived so he could come over to tack it all back together with the welder. I asked him about the leaves to see if maybe I had some laying around. Sure enough, the springs I took off Snoop ( 3" Rough Country) might do the trick.

I loaded up the springs I had, an angle grinder with cutoff wheel, some other stuff and went with my dad to the park after dinner. I only was able to hang out for about 20 minutes or so, but I was able to see Dennis, Michael, and the other hardcore Toyotas roll out for a night run.

I had a voicemail today, and Josh said that they were able to patch up the Cruiser well enough to get him home. I guess they trailered it, maybe? I dunno. Josh will probably chime in. I went out to the park today and picked up my angle grinder.

Here's the moral of the story - keep all the stuff you think is worthless crap. I was planning on taking those leaves to the scrap yard, but I think I'll keep the rest of them. I'm glad I live so close to the park and was able to help. That's the true spirit of four-wheeling - helping others  :thumbs:

Yep, those springs worked nice. We cut them down to replace the 4 broken leafs, and he was able to drive back to LR Sunday afternoon. We really appreciated it!!  :beerchug:
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

Jordan7118 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
I think I still need to have it properly timed. I have it at 15 degrees BTDC by way of the bottom pulley, but I'm supposed to have it at 5 degrees short-circuited? How the heck do you set timing PROPERLY???  :dunno:

Anybody? I thought this was a forum for Toyota tech...

:talkingn:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
i'll find out for ya :bolt: