Author Topic: college student's 1st generation build!!(got silders now!!!!!!!!!!!!)  (Read 21145 times)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
All this talk about that pristine bed... is it rusted inside around the seems? I'm not sure if it's been asked, but that's what would seemingly make it worth some decent cash. I would assume that's one of the #1 problems with the old beds. :dunno:

Also, I'm not sure how a flatbed shorter than the stock bed is going to allow you gain space. With things tied down properly you can pile a standard bed pretty damn high without a problem. It doesn't look like you're going to change your mind, but there's my  :twocents: anyway. Good luck, whatever you decide.
One thing I noticed about my friend oldskools flatbed is that he actually gained square footage for storage. He built flat fenders over what would have normally been practically unusable space in a stock bed (where the wheelwell comes up). everything has to be strapped down, nonetheless, but there is more flat space. not sure if that makes sense
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Totally makes sense, but it still doesn't seem like you would gain a whole lot of space. Best way IMO to gain a little more square footage... Become a tetris master.  :yupyup:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

mado13 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
man its been awhile... anyways heres an update.  No flatbed... yet. Built a pair of slider the other day at work and decided on a 4in lift.  heres some pics

mado13 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
pics didnt work, ill try later. friggen computers!

toeyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
back to the top, what did you ever do with the bed situation.

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
Built a pair of slider the other day at work and decided on a 4in lift.  heres some pics

Was it on the clock when you made them?  :laugh: Oh, pics!!!
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
Jeep

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
have you ever thought of killing a puppy? everthought of driving a geo metro? ever thoguht of chopping that bed?
they're all felonies. felonies are bad. dont do them!  :help:
Jeep

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
I agree, I like the truck and if ur going to wheel it hard or on any decent trails for that matter it is probably too nice of a truck...  I bought my 87 a couple of years ago... I was 18 at the time and it was a good clean truck, not mint condition, but no rust and my friend bought a nice 93 at the same time and I don't care if I ding mine up a bit, but he worries about dinging it up and it has been dinged up pretty good a couple of times and he really regrets it.  He tries to stay out of bad situations, but when ur wheelin stuff happens. And I think that if you plan on ever selling that truck that its a good call to remove the bed and not use it while wheelin... but if it were me I would sell it and get something a little more beat up

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Nice 1st gen man. I am going to have to agree with such a clean bed you really ought to get a camper shell and call it good. just my  :twocents: its just so pretty and IMO if youve got a straight, rust free bed, why not get as much use out of it as you can??
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
Its a 20+ year old truck, so I figyre there are a couple things to choose from....
1 keep it nice and keep it in a restorable condition
2 modify it to your hearts content and have some fun with it (even if that means cutting up straight panels)

Heck if you bash it you will be raising the value of the rest of the old toys out there.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

yotaman82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
it would ride rougher depending on the spring you put in.
If You Cant Dodge It Use a Toyota..