Author Topic: Blackdiamond (Gup-C build-up)  (Read 230739 times)

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Haha thanks.  It did turn out really good.  I'm happy how it turned out.

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
that's a pretty beautiful 4runner
Jeep

blackdiamond [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I got the starter changed out this evening after work, I'm slowing getting to be a better mechanic.  Now it sounds the same as the bdtruck when it starts.

I noticed this weekend that there is still a little bit of driveshaft vibration at highway speeds.  If I wasn't planning to drive it to California and Utah I might not worry about it, but on that long of a trip it might be worth correcting.  I doubt it is enough to cause any damage.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Got the oil changed tonight.  I took my odds and ends oil to Walmart and exchanged for what I wanted and left with a $0.02 bill.  I opted for Castrol Syntec Blend because it is nothing more than a "clean" conventional oil that worked great in my wife's old car.  It smoothed the engine out enough I may be tempted to stay with it for the long haul since it is quite a bit less expensive than full synthetic oil.  I used a Mobil 1 filter so it should be good to go for a while.

I think the battery suffered from sitting in the shop so I'll have to get it tested and see what the story is.  The starter helped things out, but it's not perfect yet.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
How many miles are on the motor now?

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
So did gotrocks do the welding before or after his flip.   :dunno:  Something could be screwy!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
How many miles are on the motor now?

:dunno:

Since the speedo wasn't hooked up for a while I can only guess.  I suspect it is between 500-750, possibly a bit more.  The oil looked OK on the dipstick, but seemed pretty dark when drained.  I poured it back into the Syntec Blend jug so I will take a closer look later.  I'm planning 3-5k on this OCI and then I'll see where it goes from there.

So did gotrocks do the welding before or after his flip.   :dunno:  Something could be screwy!

Most of it was done prior to him flipping out if that's what you mean.  :screwy: 

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
All welding was done before the flop. 

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I am getting ready to place another Marlin Crawler order and need some help.

I am planning to get two more low profile drain plugs along with some different shackles.  I currently have 5 inch shackles front and rear and am planning to get a set of 6 inch shackles for the rear.

How much difference in ride height could I expect if I go to 4.5 inch shackles in the front?  Right now the truck is about 2 inches lower in the back than the front and I would like it closer to level.  Would the slightly shorter front shackle be worth the $24 plus shipping cost?  If I get much shorter the shackle angle could be a problem and I might bottom on the frame at full compression.  Sometimes a little does a lot.

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Lift wise, you only gain half on a shackle.  You would be gaining 1/2" in the rear and dropping the front 1/4".  You're still 1 1/4" short of getting them level with just shackles.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Lift wise, you only gain half on a shackle.  You would be gaining 1/2" in the rear and dropping the front 1/4".  You're still 1 1/4" short of getting them level with just shackles.

Yeah, I know it won't be enough to get it level, but between the shackle length difference and resulting minor shackle angle change that have some effect on overall spring rate I think it just might be enough until the FROR front bumper and winch get installed in the future.  Sometimes it looks great and other times it has too much pre-runner going on.

:thumbs:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
bd, I'd try making them if I were you, and see if you like them that way.  :thumbs:  I know you're busy guy, but an hour in the garage with a drill and a grinder and you'd have what you want.  You could even cut the peices yourself, and have a machine shop drill out the holes if you don't have/don't want to buy a bit that big.  :thumbs:

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
bd, I'd try making them if I were you, and see if you like them that way.  :thumbs:  I know you're busy guy, but an hour in the garage with a drill and a grinder and you'd have what you want.  You could even cut the peices yourself, and have a machine shop drill out the holes if you don't have/don't want to buy a bit that big.  :thumbs:

I'm sure they are easy to make, but since I don't have the drill bit or grinder or material, I'd end up spending more of my time and money than it's worth to just give Marlin some business.  I know I want the longer rear shackles so the "gamble" is only for the fronts and they are only $6 per plate

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:thumbs:  gotcha
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
A few more pictures from the 1st Adventure.  I crawled through the water hole on the 2nd adventure and only got the exhaust pipe to go under for a very short distance.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
And some pictures from the 2nd Adventure to the same place.  The 3rd Adventure is planned for this weekend and will once again be to the same place.  Each trip has a specific reason for going, but I'm ready for somewhere else.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I got the shackles swapped out tonight, friends with lifts come in handy.  :greengrin:

I also changed the rear diff fluid looking for water and there was no evidence so I can only assume that the breather valve is working well.

Finally, I installed the 1 inch front seat "lift kit" from www.4crawler.com. Basically it lifts the rear of the seat 1 inch using poly spacers and a longer bolt.  It made an excellent improvement, I recommend it highly.

:gap:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I finally got a chance to check the mpg now that the odometer is hooked up.  I think 17.5 mpg is pretty good.  The driving included two short off road trips with four people each time and very little open highway driving.

:yesnod:

The shackles were swapped this week and the needed change was made.  The change was about an inch overall which was enough to be visually pleasing.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 07:41:02 PM by blackdiamond »

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
great pics i love pics :cheese:
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well, the longer rear shackles caused the minor rear driveshaft vibration to become worse.  It used to start about 65 mph but is now down under 60 mph and worse.  I knew this was a possibility, but also new that the driveline needed some additional work either way.

Obviously, the ideal situation would be to order another Hi Angle from Jesse for the rear to match the front as the angles are nearly perfect for the double cardan setup, but the budget can't support both that and a FROR front bumper prior to the roundup.

I'm thinking that I will have the front Hi Angle shaft lengthened for the rear and then have the single cardan shaft shortened for the front.  The angles are in the front are better suited for a double cardan setup, but I won't need it at "high" speeds to it should work fine for off road and limited winter use.

I had vibration on the 85 truck in the front around 35 mph and it was never a problem.  With auto locker front and rear I have no business going faster than that on snow and ice anyways in 4wd.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Will have have enough splines in the front running a modified stock driveshaft?  This is my only concern.  :dunno:

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Will have have enough splines in the front running a modified stock driveshaft?  This is my only concern.  :dunno:

No, you will need more slip than the 4 inches the stock shaft provides.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I called Jesse this afternoon and he is building me a rear shaft that should arrive in a couple of weeks.  He said I didn't need a long travel like the front so the cost was less than I was expecting even without a core.

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i love this build keep up the pics :cheese:
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hopefully, Sunday will be the day to get the t-cases pulled, corrected, and reinstalled.  I need to roll a shift rail in the crawl box 180 degrees so the detents are on the correct side and also pull the pin for the new twin stick.

Jesse says that my rear driveshaft should be finished today or Tuesday and on the way.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well, it was a good news bad news day I guess.  We got the t-cases pulled out and managed to have quite a time getting the roll pin to fall out.  The instructions that I got on the website was a bit confusing for two guys that didn't really have any idea what we were shooting for, but we managed to figure it out.  I noticed a nice leak from the t-case when I got home and found the drain plug leaking.  I will have to double check the fluid level tomorrow.  We got the twin stick installed and the shift rod rolled 180 in the crawl box so everything shifts perfectly.

I'm hopeful that it is mostly a result of driving with the floorboard not completely put together, but I swear the transmission or clutch is having some major issues.  Sounds like something is rattling and running dry.  It seems to be somewhat related to the clutch, but it seems to be working just fine.  It should have a brand new thow out bearing so I'm not sure what to think.  I'm planning to change the fluid tomorrow morning and see if any parts fall out.

Also, I noticed that there are two holes in the top/front of my crawl box.  On the passenger side it would be the hole for the 4wd Idiot Light connector and there is one on the drives side to match.  My rear case doesn't have the one on the drivers side.  Are these a problem?  If so, what should I use to plug them?  I tried an extra diff plug and it was too large.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I got the transmission fluid swapped out today,  I went with Royal Purple Syncromax.  After driving it with everthing put back together it seems to be ok.  I suspect the throw out bearing is making some noise, but the transmission itself seems to shift just fine.

Tonight I got all the shifter installed and I swapped out some of the top plates so I have everthing properly labeled.  The twin stick has 4.70:1/N/1:1 and 2wd/4wd and the crawl box has low/N/High.  I need to bend the twin stick shifter forward quite a bit so that I can install the console and modified button/switches.

Next week I head to San Diego for a month so it's going to get a "time out" in the garage.  I'm hopeful to get the new rear driveshaft before I leave.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Thats really interesting to hear about the throwout bearing.  I know for a fact that its brand new because I replaced it myself.  Sorry I missed your phone call I lost my phone on Saturday and didn't get a phone until today and your message.  Call me tomorrow and we'll try to figure out something with that crazy tranny problem.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm not quite a worried about the transmission currently, but I'll keep an ear on it.

Since nobody corrected me so far, here is a lesson in being stupid.  I misread the application for Syncromax and had to drain it tonight.  It is for manual transmissions requiring ATF or motor oil.  I misread the lable and wasted three quarts of liquid gold.  I couldn't bring myself to pay $12 per quart for the Redline MT and now I have Valvoline conventional with a total cost of slightly more than just getting the Redline to start with.

:smack:

Now to complete the proof that I'm an idiot.  While taking the transmission shifter off tonight to refill the tranny, I had the thought that it would be stupid to start filling without putting the drain plug back in.  So what did I do within five minutes.  My first clue was the sound of gear oil dripping into the oil pan.

:hammerhead:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
AH HAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah although ATF is amazing stuff and lubicates extremely well, the gear oil is what you really need.  That sucks that spent all that money for nothing.