Author Topic: Blackdiamond (Gup-C build-up)  (Read 233344 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Blackdiamond (Gup-C build-up)
« Reply #1050 on: Aug 03, 2024, 09:10:35 PM »
I think the mystery has been solved. It’s truly curse to have multiple issues that result in vibrations at the same speeds. It really makes the process of elimination more challenging.

After getting it back from the Chevron I made a trip to the local ORV area and aired the tires down to 20 psi for the drive there with the goal of seeing if it would be soft enough to soak up the vibration. The result was me thinking that the tires were actually the issue. I drove home at 25 psi and it was still mostly fine but you can just start to feel it. I think the issue is the tires when aired up to 30 psi to minimize flat spotting while sitting in the garage. For me, 25 psi it is.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,263
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Blackdiamond (Gup-C build-up)
« Reply #1051 on: Aug 04, 2024, 11:05:15 AM »
I’m happy to read that you have discovered what may have been the cause of the mystery vibrations.

For me, over the years tires have been the major and most common cause of vibrations.  The obvious is out of balance and the less common is out of roundness.  Flat spotting can certainly be an issue for vehicles that are parked for a month or longer.

Some years back I had a tire shop put a new set of tires on my car.  I noticed vibration immediately and drove back to the shop.  I asked the shop to verify that all the tires were balance properly.  They checked and rebalanced the tires.  I drove the car from the shop, went out the freeway and the vibration was still there!  I took the car back and I said something is wrong, the vibration is still there. The shop at first wanted to blame the vibration on something other than the tires and their perfect balance job.

Flashback:  My dad was an old school auto mechanic, and back in the early 60’s of buying “retreaded” tires there was something he told me once and I never forgot it.  He had a new set of retreads on one of our vehicles and apparently they produced a vibration after balancing.  I remember him telling me that “You can perfectly balance a tire the shape of a football on a tire balancer, but it will bounce like a football going down the road.”

Back to the shop… I asked the shop to verify any possible out of roundness.  Sure enough… two tires were not in spec. One tire was visually noticeable as it slowly spun on the balancer, I watched it.  I asked that all 4 tires be removed, and I had them replaced with a different brand.

On both my wheeling trucks – first 1986 Longbed and my 1985 shortbed, I always ran with lower tire pressure than spec’d.  On my 1985 shortbed I ran 26 to 28 in the front and 22 to 24 in the rears for on-road as my daily driver. My 85 only weighed 3200 lbs.  I rotated and rebalanced the 32s and 33s, about every 5K to 8K miles depending upon the tire wear.  I never experienced any serious tire cupping.

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein