Author Topic: Blackdiamond (Gup-C build-up)  (Read 230748 times)

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
Hey bd are you going to take the runner to the funny rocks any time soon (after it is finished)? I really want to get a good look at this thing close up, Im headed up Memorial day weekend maybe then?
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hey bd are you going to take the runner to the funny rocks any time soon (after it is finished)? I really want to get a good look at this thing close up, Im headed up Memorial day weekend maybe then?

I have no plans as of yet to go anywhere.  I gotta get it first and then I can start breaking things in and working on tuning my skills offroad with the new rig.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Lots of 22Rs leak at the front main seal.  Get a manual gauge and screw it in, just to be sure it is/is not pumping. If it's leaking there, I would think that it is.  Was there a groove in the balancer or did you notice?

BTW--that thing looks  :boobs:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Lots of 22Rs leak at the front main seal.  Get a manual gauge and screw it in, just to be sure it is/is not pumping. If it's leaking there, I would think that it is.  Was there a groove in the balancer or did you notice?

BTW--that thing looks  :boobs:

I'm assuming when you mean groove your referring to the keyway slot.  Yes its there and the key is in.  I am going to get a manual pressure gauge and screw it in.  I should be working on the engine tomorrow.  Today I have some other obligations lowering a Jetta so I should know shortly what on earth is going on.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Looking excellent!  :jawdrop:

Other than the leaking, what tipped you off to the low oil pressure?

the oil light came on

Johnny5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i think he is referring to a groove wore into the harmonic balancer. the part of it where it slids through the seal. they can wear there and leak out the front main seal.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
I'm assuming when you mean groove your referring to the keyway slot.  Yes its there and the key is in.  I am going to get a manual pressure gauge and screw it in.  I should be working on the engine tomorrow.  Today I have some other obligations lowering a Jetta so I should know shortly what on earth is going on.

No, sorry if I wasn't clear :boozer: I do mean the one that gets worn into the balancer.  :turtle:  takes the seal, and grinds the rubber off the backside to relocate the lip and stop the leaking

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Today I have some other obligations lowering a Jetta so I should know shortly what on earth is going on.

From the "Save the Jetta" foundation...

I recommend this lowering kit: http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=11

1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
thanks

no the kit I installed was a H&R complete strutt and coil kit.  It looks really good and it only took 2 hours to install.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
It sounds like the oil pressure "idiot light" could be from air in the line.  Maybe the leak is a seperate issue and will stop.

:dunno: just some ideas

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
It sounds like the oil pressure "idiot light" could be from air in the line.  Maybe the leak is a seperate issue and will stop.

:dunno: just some ideas

maybe but after running the motor for 10 minutes all of the oil should be circulated through the engine

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
maybe but after running the motor for 10 minutes all of the oil should be circulated through the engine

A couple of my coworkers made it sound like you can actually bleed the gage line?  Maybe it is different on other motors.

:dunno:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
A couple of my coworkers made it sound like you can actually bleed the gage line?  Maybe it is different on other motors.

:dunno:
there is no need to...I've had a manual gauge hooked up with bubbles all through it and it read fine.  Remember, air is a fluid.  Also, even though you can compress air, in a tube with liquid next to it, the pressure is passed on to the liquid(oil).  There is not enough volume to account for air pressure losses in an oil pressure line, anyhow.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
there is no need to...I've had a manual gauge hooked up with bubbles all through it and it read fine.  Remember, air is a fluid.  Also, even though you can compress air, in a tube with liquid next to it, the pressure is passed on to the liquid(oil).  There is not enough volume to account for air pressure losses in an oil pressure line, anyhow.

Is that why air in brake lines doesn't matter?  :yupyup:

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
that runner is looking mighty fine if i do say so my self!! nice job gotrocks!
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Thanks.  Right now I'm not worried about the looks.  Gotta get this thing running perfect.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks.  Right now I'm not worried about the looks.  Gotta get this thing running perfect.

Any ideas yet?  Is the new oil pump just bad?

:psss: No pressure from me on this one.  :thumbs:

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
Any ideas yet?  Is the new oil pump just bad?

:psss: No pressure from me on this one.  :thumbs:

Nice pun. :thumbs:

Better check the sending unit... make sure its got good contacts, and check the resistance on it...

"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Nice pun. :thumbs:

Better check the sending unit... make sure its got good contacts, and check the resistance on it...

I noticed that after it was too late.  :shake:

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I like how the engine hoist is flexing too! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
check your pm bd

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
A new delivery date has been agreed on.  The bdrunner should be crossing the state on Friday afternoon.  Gotrocks is certain the the oil pressure and leak problems have been identified and are easily corrected.  I'll let him explain if he wants, I'll just make myself look stupid if I try to put it into words.

The bdrunner should be complete with the exception of the twin stick which will be installed in the near future.  I'm working with Marlin Crawler on the details of that transaction.

Once again,  :turtle: is treating the customer right!  :thumbs:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile

toy4x4ota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 468
  • Member since May '05
  • learning how to drive
    • View Profile
im not sure if you have fixed your oil pressure problem or not, but when i did my front main and put everything back together i wasnt getting pressure either.  i rechecked the o-ring style gasket and it was messed up.  if that o-ring gasket isnt just right you wont get any pressure at all, maybe you should check that.
Liqour in the front   Poker in the rear

LIFTED TRUCKS ARE GAY

85 toy, 223:1, welded/welded, 38's, running on PANE

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
im not sure if you have fixed your oil pressure problem or not, but when i did my front main and put everything back together i wasnt getting pressure either.  i rechecked the o-ring style gasket and it was messed up.  if that o-ring gasket isnt just right you wont get any pressure at all, maybe you should check that.

I think the o-ring was a problem.  Gotrocks thought they had the problem identified, but I have not heard if the repair was successful.

:crossed:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
 :phone: from gotrocks and the engine is running great!

It seems that the only oops that has been identified so from the project is that during the dual case assembly the shift fork pin was reinstalled so in order to run the twin stick, once I get the correct application, the cases will have to come back out.  I never really found the increadible benefit of the twin stick so I'll have to evaluate if it's worth pulling the cases again.  I'm sure if I wait a while, an "opportunity" will present itself and give me another reason to pull the cases.   

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
We have worked out the details for the delivery process, all I will say as it will be a surprise to some.  The event will be well documented.

:snapshot: