Author Topic: Blackdiamond (Gup-C build-up)  (Read 230499 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Five new BFG Mud KM 35x12.50x15 tires are on order as of today.   :greengrin:

This past weekend gotrocks noticed that one of the lugs on my 33's had been peeled back and was exposing some of the cords.  I stopped by Discount Tire this afternoon after my dentist appointment and had the tires rotated and balanced.  I asked them to look at the damaged tire and see if it was covered under the road hazard warranty.  The guy said that he had never seen anything quite like it (gotrocks made a similar comment) and that it was covered.  I then inquired if I could put the cash value towards a different tire.  He said any size any tire.  Ironically, he gave me about $50 credit over what I had originally paid for the tire (they gave me a great price on the last set of tires).  The upgrade to the 35 inch tire only cost me $35 including road hazard.  I took the opportunity to get a new full size spare at a great price.  Discount Tire has always treated me well.  In this case it could be argued that they "paid" me about $15 for the tire.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
The new BFG Mud KM 33x12.50x15 tires are on order as of today.   :greengrin:

This past weekend gotrocks noticed that one of the lugs on my 33's had been peeled back and was exposing some of the cords.  I stopped by Discount Tire this afternoon after my dentist appointment and had the tires rotated and balanced.  I asked them to look at the damaged tire and see if it was covered under the road hazard warranty.  The guy said that he had never seen anything quite like it (gotrocks made a similar comment) and that it was covered.  I then inquired if I could put the cash value towards a different tire.  He said any size any tire.  Ironically, he gave me about $50 credit over what I had originally paid for the tires.  The upgrade to the 35 only cost me $35 including road hazard.  I took the opportunity to get a new full size spare at a great price.  Discount Tire has always treated me well.  In this case it could be argued that they "paid" me about $15 for the tire.

so did you get 35"s or 33"s ?? :dunno:

I really like the BFG muds, and yes discount/americas tire co. is a great company :yupyup:  We've gone in on a few different occasions for different things, and they've treated me very well.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
You quoted me before I got it corrected.  The new tires are 35's.

They gave me $172 credit for a tire I paid $125 for originally.   :yupyup:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I just did some quick calculations and it looks like my speedo with actually be closer with the 35's & 4.88 gears than it is now with 33's & 4.88 gears.

Right now the speedo reads 3-5% faster than I am actually going, and it should read about 3% slower than I am going with the larger tires.  This is as compared to the stock 225/75-15 tires.

It looks like 34 inch tires and 4.88 gears would be the perfect combination.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
hey just an update.  The UPS man came and picked up the incorrect springs and I told him where to drop the new ones when they arrive.  I'm hopeing that when I get back everthing will be sitting waiting to me to finish it up.

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
I really like this Runner.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I got the word from gotrocks and the new rear springs were delivered and the four original springs were shipped back so the fronts can be reworked.

:psss: I expect the original rear springs may end up on eBay soon.  Many of the Alcan springs that are sent back end up for sale on eBay for reduced prices.  The springs were stock length 4 inch springs.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
hmm I wonder how much they will charge.  I don't know if the rearched front springs have shown up yet but I will let you know when they do.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
hmm I wonder how much they will charge.  I don't know if the rearched front springs have shown up yet but I will let you know when they do.

Since they are a common item they might just hold on to them and wait for another order.  :dunno:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
 :psss:

:turtle: Extended Brake Lines and Steering Stabalizer are on the way!  :turtle:

Any update on the engine?

:popcorn:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
The front springs were shipped on the 22nd and should arrive in the next few days.  They were scheduled for the 29th, but the holidays must have delayed them a bit.

Now we just have to get gotrocks married & honeymooned and then back to work.  :biggthumpup:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
no updates on the engine.  Unfortunatly it didn't get to the machine shop and my plan is to get it there this week.  Its kinda hard to get things done when I'm not here. :shakehead:  I'll call you this evening because I have a couple questions for you.   :phone:

btw I got my 4Runner running.  We're planning on going up on thursday night for a snow run.  Its gonna be awesome.  We have over 5 feet of snow now. :eyebrow:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
All four of the correct Alcan springs have now arrived.  The only additional cost to get the correct springs was for the extra cost of the longer rear springs.  Alcan has treated me very well.

Any pictures?  :snapshot:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
I'll get some up in a bit. 

We got home last night around 2:00 from wheeling.  We have snow drifts 10' Deep in places right now.  It was a crazy night wheeling.  So needless to say I'm a little tired right now, but I'll get some pictures up for you.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
We got home last night around 2:00 from wheeling.  We have snow drifts 10' Deep in places right now.  It was a crazy night wheeling.  So needless to say I'm a little tired right now, but I'll get some pictures up for you.
I hope the roads are better than that when I am driving to your wedding!  :haha:

Speaking of your wedding...I mean...gotrocksgirl's wedding... :psss:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29073.new#new

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I got the new 35x12.50 BFG KM tires installled on the truck tonight.  They are ready to go straight onto the 4Runner when it is ready.  Here is a teaser picture, it is dark and my garage doesn't allow enough room for photos.  I was amazed at how much larger a new 35 looks when compared to a worn 33.  I had to look to verify they were not 37's.  The guys at Discount Tire got excited when they realized what tires they were installing.

:woohoo:

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Tires look good  :beerchug:
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Ahh now that looks better.  33's are so small.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Ahh now that looks better.  33's are so small.

You have to admit that the 33's went a lot of difficult places. 

I reviewed the weight of the tires and I think they are actually 64 lbs instead of 58 lbs, it looks like the chart was backwards.  They are still an amazing 20 lbs lighter than the Toyo Open Country M/Ts.  Someday I will have to try a set of Toyo's.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2006, 11:55:19 AM by blackdiamond »

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here are some better pictures.  Keep in mind that for the purposes of this particular thread we are drooling over the tires as they are slated to go on the 4Runner as soon as gotrocks gets the important things in his life handled and can start working on it again.  The third picture is of the old 33 inch tires for comparison.

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2006, 04:48:04 PM by blackdiamond »

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
You have to admit that the 33's went a lot of difficult places. 

Someday I will have to try a set of Toyo's.

I agree those did do pretty good. I have to say though that the driver knew how to drive with those little tires too.

Well when I get gotrocksgirls 4Runner done you'll have to try it out with the 35 Toyos
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2006, 10:28:10 AM by gotrocks »

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have to say though that the driver knew how to drive with those little tires too.

Let's hope "the driver" remains successful at the next level.  In the working world people often get promoted to the level of their incompetence, so...

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:thumbs:  truck looks good :yupyup:  can't wait to see the runner :woohoo:

Quote from: blackdiamond
link=topic=27774.msg320178#msg320178 date=1165452014
Let's hope "the driver" remains successful at the next level.  In the working world people often get promoted to the level of their incompetence, so...

s'ok, we'll forgive you.  You just may have to start posting in the flop thread :hahaha:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
You just may have to start posting in the flop thread :hahaha:

:spankbutt:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I just realized that I won't get another shot at climbing White Knuckle Hill again in the truck.   :sad2:

I would have enjoyed another shot to see if it was as easy the second time as the first or if I found the "magical" line that day.  The first time I climbed Rocker Knocker Hill it was quite a bit easier than the second time and the same thing at Dump Bump.

I guess I'll never know.  :rivers:

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
    • View Profile
Hmmm this is 3 pages back..."waiting".....I know you on your honeymoon but come on priorities man  :greengrin: lol just kiddin. Hope you had/are having a great time. Cant wait to see this beast done. Ill be off not this weekend but the one after new years. If I dont go up to spokane to see Alicia ill be hittin you up to work on it if you want. Oh on a side note you know of any machinist jobs by chance. Im tired of being a tow truck driver  :driving: :thumbdown:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
This period of delay was scheduled.  We should be back to normal programming soon.  I expect it will take a little bit for them to get settled in after the honeymoon/Christmas break.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
I'M BACK!!!!

Hey everyone.  The honeymoon was great and having a break from everday life wasn't to bad either.  I promised "mrs.gotrocks" that I wouldn't do anything vehicle related during our honeymoon and I kept my promise.  Now that I'm back the work will begin.  I plan on getting a couple things taken care of tomorrow and the work should begin this weekend.  I'm itching to go work in my shop now that I'm back and the sparks should start to fly very shortly. 

snowrunner just give me a call if you're around and come on over.  I don't mind having a little help. 

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm going to get the  :bat: and  :whip: warmed up.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I heard that some progress on the 4Runner is being made once again, but both gotrocks and gotrocksgirl were feeling  :sick:

GET WELL SOON!

I am currently looking at Audio options for the 4Runner.  I'm not looking for anything special, but here is what I am thinking.

I already have a set of 4" JBL GTO 425 speakers for the front.  My wife gave me a JVC Stereo for Xmas.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7652756&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat52600050007&id=1134701324800

Now I just need a pair or rear speakers.  Best Buy had 5-1/4" speakers listed as a stock replacement and Crutchfield lists 6-1/2" as OK with some modifications.  I have a couple of gift cards for the project at Best Buy so I am thinking about getting a pair of Kenwood Marine speakers so I don't have to worry about them when the top is removed.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7245581&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat86300050000&id=1115365494948

Again, my goal is the ultimate sound, but I would like something a little better than stock and durability is key.  What do you think?