Author Topic: 83 SR5 Bringing "the Dead back to Life"  (Read 1885 times)

83Camo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
83 SR5 Bringing "the Dead back to Life"
« on: Jun 17, 2021, 04:36:47 PM »
A couple of years ago I picked up an old rusty beater 83 at local bone yard. Blown engine , bad tranny.....
Got it for 600 bucks and it was car hauled to my house !
After putting in fresh 85 series 22R and overhauling tranny it was breathing again.
In the past year I've installed a Weber 38 with complete blockoff kit , custom header and flow through exhaust ,  rebuilt/ overhauled front end knuckles and brake /Rotor assemblies {FUN} Put on 3" suspension and 2" body lift , new U-joints and tie end ball joints , Drive shafts from 85 Yota Plus a unique "barnyard camo paint job using tree branches for spray over...a real Looker ! Replaced a lot of old items while up on blocks
Put Spartan lunchboxes in front and rear diffs with 5;29 gears , Warn hubs and 31" Super Swamper LTBs
This truck I use for Hauling firewood from mountain areas my Forestry crew thins.
The combo is outstanding, geared a bit low with 5;29s it hauls and creeps without a glitch
AND to think I was about to sell it a year ago, these old SFA 4x4s are real Gems, my mountain workhorse.
Not much knocking or clicking from Spartans except on hard ground or tarmac.
I thought , with the price around 600/$ and availability issues for my Detroit Locker / TrueTrac combo cravings I'd give the Spartans a try, I'm impressed !
Thought I'd share a little success story about my 83 Camo adventures, Thanks
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2021, 12:56:14 PM by 83Camo »
Unrepentant Fenian/Tattooed & Employed

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
Re: 83 SR5 Bringing "the Dead back to Life"
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2021, 05:17:20 PM »
Sounds  a lot like me. I've replaced my engine and transmission (W56-HD swapped), front axle seals, ignitor, alternator, radiator, radiator hoses and upfit a flatbed. I'm  running a Marlin 4.7 single case that I bought from another member here, which has lots and lots of of miles but just will not die.

I chain it onto the tree trunks in a brushpile that I want, put it in 1st low, and watch the whole brushpile follow me and disintegrate. Restack the brushpile and pile logs into the trailer, then it's time to go off-roading up and down a mountain with a 3500 lb load in tow. Fun times!

I love the pre-85 hiluxes. I have driven mine uphill through 18" of packed snow where none of the other vehicles in the party could go. I've helped extricate a mired F250. I've squeezed it between rocks and driven it straight up a mountainside. It's kind of like having a baby 3/4 ton with 96hp and 36 year old brakes :rofl:

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,238
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2021, 02:53:59 AM »
I commend and admire anyone who puts in the time and money to resurrect or keep these old Toys alive. :thumbs:

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

83Camo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2021, 02:06:29 PM »
 :hammerhead: Yeup , back in 1987 I had an 83 SR5 5sp Short Bed , set it up with Detroit Locker [about 250.00 back then] in rear , Detroit TrueTrac up front , 5;29 gears Centerforce clutch , 34/9.5/15 SS TSLs full roll cage , SFA off of an 85 .....and so on. Hell of a little beast THEN I turned around and sold it  :hammerhead:

The long beds are a different beast as far as crawling, I've been running the same set up except for tire size [always Super Swampers] for years , After putting in gears and lockers I get my LB drive shafts reinforced [banana'd quite a few]
With the Thin/gnarly tires it was a monster in the mud and snow, Worked at ranch in Northern Colorado around 10,000 ft and up during winter I'd chain up all fours...Nice !

83Camo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2021, 01:01:20 PM »
Mr. Hein,  What year is your truck ? How did that tranny swap work out ? Do you feel it's an "upgrade" from the original tranny ?
I'm looking to swap mine out for one out of a 86 Runner . Definitely a relocation for rear mounts/ cross member and drive shaft rebuilding adventure !
Welcome any input you might offer
Thanks

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »
Mine is a 1985. The tranny swap was a little arduous but not too bad. Honestly the hardest parts were mating the new transmission to the engine and getting the top two bell housing bolts in or out.

I think the W56-HD is an upgrade. The carbureted trucks have a G-52 transmission which is honestly fine for a lot of uses. My truck was a motorhome toad for many years, so the mileage on mine was unknown. They are known for lasting about 230,000 miles, which is honestly impressive. But my truck had 225k on the clock and some clown had put something thin and brown that was not gear oil into the transmission before I got it. When I drained it it the magnetic drain plug was thickly coated with metal dust and the oil was chock-full of sparkles.

I love the way the W56-HD shifts, the way it doesn't get super hot while driving, and  the reputation they have for taking everything a 22R can put out over and over and over for hundreds of thousands of miles. The F250 I helped rescue was about a ~3000 lb pull and it took it just fine, even the worn transfer case input shaft survived. I've heard of them  going to 500k with care and feeding. Maybe I'll update this post in 20 years to say how mine did :gap:

It's a bolt-in swap for a 2nd gen, I think 1st gens do require moving the cross member.

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2021, 09:36:17 PM »
For clarity, I realize I wrote earlier that "I love the pre-85 hiluxes" I should have written that I love the pre-86 hiluxes. The kind with a solid front axle.

86-95 aren't bad but I kinda dislike the 4wd version of their IFS system. 95 and up Tacomas won't take chains on the front wheels, which is a huge disadvantage  for me

83Camo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2021, 12:02:20 PM »
Thanks for the feedback ! The "syncros" have "been going out " {for a couple of years } so it rattles a bit but hasn't started popping out of gear yet. I work it hard climbing trails and hauling out timber. I think I'll make plans for the swap, Appreciate it
BTW....love the "baby 3/4 -96 hp-36 yr old brakes  :beerchug:

83Camo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2021, 01:28:30 PM »
For clarification sake when you did the swap , did you install the W56 complete with its bell housing to your 22R ?
Iv'e got the complete W56 assembly{bell housing T-case and Tranny} better know around here  as "the Whale "

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2021, 04:56:24 AM »
I did. For me it was a bolt in swap. I think you will need to move the cross member back several inches and your driveline bolts might not be the right size, so you might be swapping flanges around. If you swap flanges, I would redo the T-case output seals while you're at it. Otherwise you might be like me and find a big leak 4 hours before sunset  on a cold winter day when you'll need the truck soon.

83Camo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2021, 06:30:59 AM »
Yes , checked it out yesterday looks like a direct bolt on as far as bell housing to back of engine {my 83 has a series 1985 22R} The crossmember will be relocated and drive shafts {lengthened / shortened} and flanges will be swapped out to fit larger bolt size . The Drive Shafts& Flanges are from an 85 PU. Thanks for heads up Regarding seals !
Really appreciate your input, Taking the time , this will be my first "Tranny swap"

I've got a special way of pulling and installing the tranny , I use heavy duty ratchet straps to suspend and position the Tranny with safety jack under it, don't have a shop so I do it on concrete slap next to shed, I've done it quite a few times . My 10 year old daughter gets a kick out of watching me on my back wrestling "the Whale" into place......just have to be mindful of my cursing  :maddest:

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2021, 09:21:46 AM »
If you have a concrete slab you are all set. I don't have a shop either, just level-ish spots in the dirt. I've used the ratchet strap method before and it does work. I prefer a transmission jack, both for safety and convenience

CB.TypeG

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
    • My '83 Build
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Jun 25, 2021, 11:19:05 AM »
Great story man, Love seeing these old trucks brought back to life! I'm working on an 83 myself. Replacing a rusted out cab, rebuilt the old 22r, regeared and locked the axles. Love this old truck. Cant wait to get her back on the road

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,238
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2021, 09:06:35 AM »
... My 10 year old daughter gets a kick out of watching me on my back wrestling "the Whale" into place......just have to be mindful of my cursing  :maddest:

I would rather be mauled by a grizzly bear than drop the tranny and t-case on my truck!! :gap:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 26, 2021, 08:17:05 PM »
I would rather be mauled by a grizzly bear than drop the tranny and t-case on my truck!! :gap:

That's why I set mine  gently on the ground with a transmission jack :gap:

83Camo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2021, 12:14:51 PM »
Yeah Buddy , After months of resting up on blocks Not to many things as satisfying as getting these "old Yotas" back on the road ! :bowdown:
Good luck on yours CB Type G.
 Well, "the Whale " is out and I kept the Grizz away :biggthumpup: