Author Topic: What would be your dream job?  (Read 3700 times)

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
What would be your dream job?
« on: Nov 21, 2020, 04:03:10 PM »
So I was terminated from my job last week after relocating my family to another state and slaving away for 2.5 years. now I am left looking for another job and i am left wondering if Engineering is really what I want to do with my life, but I can't say exactly what I would do for the rest of my life as a career instead. It leaves me dreaming of other careers and what would be the coolest.

If you have the choice to do anything what would it be and why?

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17323
  • Male Posts: 1,020
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: What would be your dream job?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:05:58 PM »
ryan

sucks to loose yer job. ive been there to.

thats a tough one. it depends on yer interests and what yer good at. engineering takes lots of math. my dad is retired and was a mechanical and electrical engineer and did fairly well fer himself and the family. my sister is an accountant and is good at what she does and has some very elite clients. me i was in the navy as a mechanic and now work as a detention officer(jailer).befer that i worked retail, warehouse, and as a machinist. i like being a jailer fer the most part.

like i said its a tough one. i could not do what my dad or sister do. i prefer blue collar.  id like to ranch and do cattle/hogs/chickens but no money to buy land and the other equipment to make it happen.

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2020, 05:49:07 AM »
It isn't the most interesting or the big big money maker, but mowing lawns is always steady work.  Everyone's grass grows.  It is peaceful and easy.

My friends who do it here are still at work everyday despite Covid.  Making $400+ a day easy.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,056
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2020, 08:45:14 AM »
Maybe a better way to look at it to figure out if there’s a better fit for you in a different area of engineering.  I am an engineer and officially hold an engineering position though I do very little real engineering. Others in my office do very little but FEA design work. My area of responsibility is focused on structural stuff and I’m losing one of my engineers to the safety and health division to play with water instead of steel and welding. My point is to be open to the diverse options within engineering.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1247
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2020, 04:02:53 PM »
What do you like to do in your free time? Work on your car? find a field that you can work with your hands, but not working on cars. Just an example. Take an aptitude test, it could spark interest. Might surprise you!
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2020, 04:56:57 PM »
Get Solidworks software or something similar and build armor for our trucks? :clap:
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2020, 06:05:16 PM »
I have lots of ideas what I could do that would be a fun career. I was more curious what you guys would do for your dream job.

I have joked for a long time that county snow plow driver would be my dream job if money was not an issue. or open a distillery if I had the capital.

What would you do?

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2020, 06:07:20 PM »
Get Solidworks software or something similar and build armor for our trucks? :clap:

I love bending tube. it is really fun. you should check out bend tech if you want to do it on the computer.

I need to get my shop built so I can start getting setup again though.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2020, 06:09:16 PM »
What do you like to do in your free time? Work on your car? find a field that you can work with your hands, but not working on cars. Just an example. Take an aptitude test, it could spark interest. Might surprise you!

Aptitude test would be interesting. I have done everything from calculation pump sizes and fluid flow to driving tractors and welding. would be interesting to see what an aptitude test would say. I will report back if I take one.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2020, 06:10:18 PM »
It isn't the most interesting or the big big money maker, but mowing lawns is always steady work.  Everyone's grass grows.  It is peaceful and easy.

My friends who do it here are still at work everyday despite Covid.  Making $400+ a day easy.

I have always said lean toward recession proof industries. peoples grass always grows.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2020, 06:14:17 PM »
Maybe a better way to look at it to figure out if there’s a better fit for you in a different area of engineering.  I am an engineer and officially hold an engineering position though I do very little real engineering. Others in my office do very little but FEA design work. My area of responsibility is focused on structural stuff and I’m losing one of my engineers to the safety and health division to play with water instead of steel and welding. My point is to be open to the diverse options within engineering.

Yeah over my career I had advanced to Director of Engineering and had stepped beyond engineering into management. I am still open inside engineering just exploring other possibilities including management positions and even possibly technical sales.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2020, 06:54:54 PM »
That sucks Dude!  Been there more than once.  I just started a family, bought a house, and was "Laid" off was what I was told, from Les Schwab Tires.  I could transfer to any other store, but I just a house!  So, I knocked on doors, and got a job delivering beverages.  It wasn't too bad, I had alot of perks.  Free BEER!!  And then right after we had another kid, business sold, and they didn't want to keep a warehouse open in our town. 

I live in a small town, and there isn't alot of high paying jobs to jump right into.  If I was to start over again, I would become a journeyman in electrical.  But when your bumping 40, and wife an kids, last thing you want to do is try to get into a schooling.  I would also look into becoming a chef of some sort.  Because I love cooking, BBQing, and smoking foods.  I have a buddy that loves making high end food at home, just randomly.  And I keep telling him we need to open a restaurant together. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2020, 07:59:08 PM »
I have lots of ideas what I could do that would be a fun career. I was more curious what you guys would do for your dream job.

I have joked for a long time that county snow plow driver would be my dream job if money was not an issue. or open a distillery if I had the capital.

What would you do?

When i lived in Montana the snowplows went 50MPH and shot snow super high.  All the while getting passed by trucks and trailers going 90MPH

I like autonomy I don't have any debt or owe anyone.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

Hickory Nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 359
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2020, 08:28:57 PM »
I was looking at your post and it got me thinking. Right now I am in Electrical/Industrial Automation Sales. What type of engineering do you currently do? 

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2020, 07:11:29 AM »
I don't know what area you live in, but that sucks to lose your job. I started out as a mechanic for a number of years. Got a technical degree and then figured out there was a lot more money to be made in the oil and gas industry. I really enjoy what I do. Although if I had the capital/balls to jump ship I would try to open a restaurant as a side gig. I love cooking/BBQing. If it wasn't such a hard thing to start up maybe I would venture there. Times are tough and I pray you find a good job man  :crossed:
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2020, 08:41:33 AM »
I was looking at your post and it got me thinking. Right now I am in Electrical/Industrial Automation Sales. What type of engineering do you currently do? 
Mainly process pipe design and project management. I have a mechanical engineering background in fluid dynamics and heat transfer. I have worked in power plant piping, food and beverage piping and my latest company was a hop company.  I have done everything for capital projects from roi calf, board presentations, equipment specification, contract negotiation, integration design, permitting, scheduling..... all the way down to welding and fork lift driving. 

I don't know what area you live in, but that sucks to lose your job. I started out as a mechanic for a number of years. Got a technical degree and then figured out there was a lot more money to be made in the oil and gas industry. I really enjoy what I do. Although if I had the capital/balls to jump ship I would try to open a restaurant as a side gig. I love cooking/BBQing. If it wasn't such a hard thing to start up maybe I would venture there. Times are tough and I pray you find a good job man  :crossed:
Yeah not a lot of oil and gas here but I remember when I was in Alaska that it could be quite lucrative.

I have often thought about opening a bar. I think I could be a good bar tender as I like to talk to people and can get along with pretty much anyone. If I can get my shop built I think I am going to start searching for some classic cars to restore and make some money back. I have always been good at flipping cars.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2020, 09:14:57 AM »
My dream job has always been to get paid to fly helicopters. After years of training getting my instrument instructor rating in helicopters I was never able to find a job after the last economic downturn in 08’. I loved every moment of my training but the pay is terrible until pilots have quite a few hours. I had one of my instructors die in a crash right before I was scheduled to fly with her which was a real wake-up about the dangers of what I was doing. But If I could do anything regardless of pay or risk. I would go back to flying.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Hickory Nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 359
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2020, 03:46:48 PM »
Sounds like you have a lot of experience under your belt. If you want to stick with the engineering field I would look for systems integrators in your area or go to work for myself if I had your experience. I have several customers that integrate industrial automation equipment into Water Wastewater, food and bev, Transportation, Paper, Steel, automotive. I am not sure where you are located but these types of customers have engineers on staff to deal with the technical side of the integration process.

If I were to do anything else I would probably sell guns, get into gunsmithing or something like that.

I hope you find something you will enjoy for many years to come. Keep us posted on your progress.

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2020, 08:35:21 PM »

I went to culinary school.  The keys are good product & proper food costing.  Your yields.  Meaning you buy a piece of meat for X amount.  How much do you sell it for?  That is buying a piece of meat, gas, electricity, workers pay, insurance, waste, theft etc.  Then you estimate cost of your dish including a profit..

But it all has to taste good.  When it does, call Guy.  Dinners Drive-Ins and Dives to put yourself on the map :D
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

trigrate

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2020, 07:01:47 AM »
If I had my way I'd definitely be a pilot.

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,251
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2020, 03:13:47 AM »
....call Guy.  Dinners Drive-Ins and Dives to put yourself on the map :D

I'd trade Guy my left testicle for his Camaro!!  :gap:

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17323
  • Male Posts: 1,020
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2020, 11:28:01 PM »
yes guy has a nice carmero. getting paid to drive around eating food from around the county would be badass.

i would like to mod mine. its more of a lottery dream idea that ive had fer years but no snowballs chance in hell of it happening unless i win the lottery. buy lots of land in multiple states to hunt on. build a few hunting lodges on them. have stock ponds/lakes and stock them with trout/bass/catfish ect. have rifle/pistol/clay/archery ranges. have a brewery, bar and grill. have a 1/4 mile drag strip and mile oval with a garage full of barrett jackson cars.  then bring in active duty platoons/vets to enjoy that. have people like ted tugent, the rock, and lt dan band fer motivation.
that would be part of the ranch.  the rest ranch/farm and hire vets to assist with operations.

RUGER :usa: :beer: :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2020, 10:51:01 AM »
That sounds more like heaven than a business plan. Hahaha

I was just thinking our area does not have a go cart track. I bet I could do some indoor go carts and have a lot of fun at it and make some money.

ryantowry_81 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2020, 07:10:45 PM »
My other idea is to open a distillery on the front of my property. We have frontage on hwy 12 headed towards the cascades. I bet I could sell a lot of hooch to people headed out of town camping and recreating.

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2020, 05:46:05 AM »
He gets his vehicles shipped to Hawaii just for TV!
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

FLOODED...GONE

King resi C/O