Author Topic: What would you do (Job Decision)  (Read 2821 times)

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
What would you do (Job Decision)
« on: Sep 27, 2007, 12:28:44 PM »
ok ill give you a run down.

I have been at the same company for 10 years slowly working my way up, in my current position I have an office job, but now my department is moving to NY and I dont want to move. So the only other option i have hear is to wait it out and possibly get laid off. I have medical, dental and vision care with company matching 401k.

Today I was offered a job with a company. They are going to pay me 3 dollars more an hour than I am making right now. There benefits are 100% medical and dental but no vision. and they dont match the 401k. Also this position will put me back out into the field so i will be back in the rain and snow.

I am married and have a 9 year old daughter and 9 month old boy. My wife and daughter wear glasses and im sure my boy will need them too.

So what do you guys think?     Should I take the Job!
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do (Job Decision)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2007, 12:35:28 PM »
Tough decision Aaron,I would probably end up taking the new job offer mainly because it's an opportunity that you'd pass up and doing so may result in you getting laid off from your current gig.If you don't mind me asking,what would you be doing that would put you out in the rain and snow?.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2007, 12:35:46 PM »
In my opinoin a job with benefits is better than being layed off. You can open an IRA with the 401K money from the current job. So I guess I'm saying I would take the job. Good luck!!
Time to go wheelin!

AaronB [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2007, 12:51:20 PM »
Tough decision Aaron,I would probably end up taking the new job offer mainly because it's an opportunity that you'd pass up and doing so may result in you getting laid off from your current gig.If you don't mind me asking,what would you be doing that would put you out in the rain and snow?.

working on wind turbines
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

AaronB [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2007, 01:04:03 PM »
I forgot to add I get a company truck, cellphone and laptop with the new job.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2007, 01:33:05 PM »
I forgot to add I get a company truck, cellphone and laptop with the new job.
Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into it  :dunno:
Time to go wheelin!

AaronB [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2007, 01:43:27 PM »
Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into it  :dunno:

HAHA yeah I guess I am
trying to weigh the pros and cons

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2007, 01:44:37 PM »
I had to make a decision similar to this about 7 years ago. NY is a big difference. Will you be making the same money? Are they going to pay for your move? Is it cheaper to live there (cost of homes in Cali vs. where in NY) & are you willing to live there? If you like were you live then I say stay & take the shop truck  :yesnod: If you think it's time for a change then I say make the move  :twocents: The final decision is yours & your family  :yesnod:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

AaronB [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2007, 01:52:12 PM »
I had to make a decision similar to this about 7 years ago. NY is a big difference. Will you be making the same money? Are they going to pay for your move? Is it cheaper to live there (cost of homes in Cali vs. where in NY) & are you willing to live there? If you like were you live then I say stay & take the shop truck  :yesnod: If you think it's time for a change then I say make the move  :twocents: The final decision is yours & your family  :yesnod:

Ny is out of the question i wouldnt go for any amount.

A few more pros and cons:
the new job has crappy death benefits
my job now will pay 100% college if I decide to take classes
leaving a fortune 500 company to a mom and pop company

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2007, 02:06:34 PM »
Take the job and set aside the $3 an hour for glasses :thumbs:  I've worn them since the 7th grade and can honestly say that I spend less now that I have contacts.  Here's to hoping your boy doesn't need glasses :crossed:

RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2007, 02:33:23 PM »
vision shouldnt cost that much, the extra 3 bucks an hour should take care of that. what kinda work do you do on the wind turbines if you change jobs? how long until the company moves to NY? take a look around at other companies in the same field (i know there are some in Texas) that you could transfer too. maybe there are others there in cali that would let you have a similar office job (if thats what you want) with similar benefits.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2007, 02:38:59 PM »
I would rather...well, there is no power on earth that could make New York attractive for more than a few days. I would take the new job.

Good luck!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2007, 02:52:04 PM »
 :twocents: The final decision is yours & your family  :yesnod:
I agree 100% with this last statement.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

AaronB [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2007, 03:17:48 PM »
I almost forgot another con would be less time on Marlincrawler.com  :hammer:  :down:

AaronB [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2007, 03:21:31 PM »
vision shouldnt cost that much, the extra 3 bucks an hour should take care of that. what kinda work do you do on the wind turbines if you change jobs? how long until the company moves to NY? take a look around at other companies in the same field (i know there are some in Texas) that you could transfer too. maybe there are others there in cali that would let you have a similar office job (if thats what you want) with similar benefits.

Yeah there are tons of turbines in Texas. I have had other opportunities but they all include having to move out of state. I dont want to take my kids away from there grandparents and cousins. I never had that opportunity growing up, so I dont want that for my kids. I am going to sleep   :sleeping: on it tonight....Big decision  :shudder:, its stressing me out!  :nerv:  :down:

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2007, 03:54:58 PM »
just make sure to talk it over with your family and see what they want to do.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2007, 04:00:55 PM »
I would take the new job sounds like it is better than the one you have
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Steve97TJ

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Mar '07
  • boss said pound it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 27, 2007, 04:14:07 PM »
I would take the new job personally. I dont really have that good of a reason besides the fact that i hate being inside. I cant stand being indoors and couped up in an office all the time, which is one reason why im doing horticulture now. The new job seems to have some good benefits and some things youd have to sacrifice some things, but like someone said do whatsever best for your family.
98 Taco
97 TJ 
Stephen from SC

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2007, 04:21:42 PM »
Tough call, and way too personal for me to try to advise you...

I was faced with a couple of somewhat similar decisions a long time ago...  What I did was write down all the good point of the change, and all the bad points, and mull everything over time & again -- probably while drinking enough beer to clear my mind.  That, and talk it over with family (especially your wife!) -- eventually, the right decision will become more clear.

It sounds like moving is out of the question, so...  like others have said, fewer benefits is always better than unemployment. 

I had a secure indoors job that I left 27 years ago for an outdoors job.  Sometimes when it's too hot or too wet or too cold, I question my sanity, but all things considered, I love being outside and would never be happy working inside.

Like others have said, your increased earnings will take the sting out of vision care (just be sure you are saving towards it).  As to death benefits, term life insurance has never been cheaper -- shop & compare online.

I started this by refusing to tell you what to do, and it seems I'm steering you towards the new job.  It's a very tough decision, so I'm going back to this -- talk to (and listen to) your wife...  a lot. 

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

AaronB [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2007, 05:56:35 PM »
thanks guys

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2007, 06:05:46 PM »
I know that moving is very hard on children. We moved when I was younger, and I didn't like it at all, even though we only moved across town. I would stay put and do what feels like the right thing to do. :twocents: Good luck!!!