Author Topic: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread  (Read 322055 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread
« Reply #360 on: Jun 17, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »
Your 4runner is really turning out!
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: Jun 17, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »
I second that.  I did the backing plate elimination when I originally did my SAS and hated it.  It's probably fine it you live in a dry clean climate but it gave me problems for snow wheeling when chunks of concrete like mud/ice freeze on the rotors and when you start moving again, horrible ker-pow!.  Somehow the backing plates keep your rotors way cleaner. We have miles of gravel here and I got the gritty scraping nasty itchies without the backing plates. Backing plates rule.

It would seem that the jury is split on eliminators. I've already spent the money on them so like I said above, I'm just going to run them and see what happens. I will hold onto my backing plates in case I have the same experience as you guys that hate them though.  :-\

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #362 on: Jun 17, 2015, 10:02:14 AM »
Don't be upset about it, I've never ran backing plates on any of my axles. I live on a dirt road, and the trucks get in mud and water quite frequently. Never once had an issue. And they are easier to clean. Just my .02 cents
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: Jun 17, 2015, 10:16:45 AM »
Don't be upset about it, I've never ran backing plates on any of my axles. I live on a dirt road, and the trucks get in mud and water quite frequently. Never once had an issue. And they are easier to clean. Just my .02 cents

Not upset in the least. That is the "undecided" face.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #364 on: Jun 17, 2015, 11:50:07 AM »
I'm on my phone looking at it so I didn't pay much attention.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -147
  • Male Posts: 229
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Conquering the toughest malls.
    • View Profile
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #365 on: Jun 17, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »
Holy hell of an axle weekend man.  I only wish you would have seen this earlier (which would have been impossible anyways since I'm hardly on here lol) do I could have helped.  Glad you got it all sorted out though! 

The newer master cylinder and dual booster will be an amazing upgrade.  Definitely one of my top five favorites.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

'86 4Runner SR5 TRD 5VZ-FE
...slightly modified from OEM...

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: Jun 17, 2015, 05:11:15 PM »
Holy hell of an axle weekend man.  I only wish you would have seen this earlier (which would have been impossible anyways since I'm hardly on here lol) do I could have helped.  Glad you got it all sorted out though! 

The newer master cylinder and dual booster will be an amazing upgrade.  Definitely one of my top five favorites.

We are going to do the front and brakes on Saturday if you want to come help we could use it.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,729
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #367 on: Jun 17, 2015, 07:40:03 PM »
I'd like to meet you too BBP
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #368 on: Jun 17, 2015, 09:08:01 PM »
Pretty sure I'll be by even if it's to a few hours
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #369 on: Jun 17, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »
I'm going to have to get my shop all cleaned up, mail out meal card All these people coming over.
If you see it, its for sale.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: Jun 18, 2015, 06:17:18 AM »
Pretty sure I'll be by even if it's to a few hours

Great, we sure could use the hand.

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '13
    • View Profile
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #371 on: Jun 18, 2015, 05:59:03 PM »
You still here on the island?

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: Jun 18, 2015, 06:06:55 PM »
You still here on the island?

I don't live on the island. That is just where the girlfriend's parents live and where I do some minor work on my truck sometimes. The work will be done in the Gig Harbor area.

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #373 on: Jun 19, 2015, 08:01:47 AM »
I like to trim the stock backing plates, leaving the tab that holds the brake line.

This is what I did too. I haven't had any issues either. In fact it was worse with the backing plates   :twocents:

Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: Jun 19, 2015, 06:14:57 PM »
Big day tomorrow. We are hoping to achieve what took us two days last weekend in one day. Granted there is a lot of differences this time. Such as zip won't be tied up assembling the differential and Drew will be coming along from 8am to 1pm to give a 4th set of hands.

Goals for tomorrow are:

- Create custom frame side bracket to solve the lack of e-brake
- Install dual diaphragm brake booster
- Install FJ80 1" brake master cylinder
- Tear down front axle to bare housing
- Cut off remaining unused brackets from bare housing
- Strip/clean housing and install differential
- Paint housing and differential
- Complete knuckle rebuild while installing new RCV shafts

If we have time:
- C-Channel my frame and install this flat pitman arm I've had laying around for forever to achieve some up travel finally.

I got a couple family size pizzas from Papa Murphys for the boys. Least I could do for all the help. Wish us luck!   :hammerhead:

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #375 on: Jun 20, 2015, 12:37:45 AM »

I got a couple family size pizzas from Papa Murphys for the boys. Least I could do for all the help. Wish us luck!   :hammerhead:

How bigs a family size? I consider a 14" to be lunch........
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #376 on: Jun 20, 2015, 05:51:44 AM »
:popcorn:
 :flamer: :_order: :flamer: :driving:
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,729
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #377 on: Jun 20, 2015, 04:05:08 PM »
Things were going well when I left at noon to head to a Father's Day BBQ.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #378 on: Jun 20, 2015, 05:59:24 PM »
They were just getting the diff in the axle when I
Left. It was going pretty smooth
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '13
    • View Profile
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #379 on: Jun 20, 2015, 09:47:20 PM »
Any updates....? 

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #380 on: Jun 21, 2015, 12:41:15 AM »
it took awhile to get everything clean and rebuilt. But we got it all done.
If you see it, its for sale.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #381 on: Jun 21, 2015, 02:33:59 AM »
Mine next!
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: Jun 21, 2015, 11:31:36 AM »
Got it all done after a 18 hour day. Pretty wasted as you can imagine. I will get pics up as soon as I can.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: Jun 21, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
Work/Maintenance needed:

25. Knuckle Rebuild + axle refresh

Mods/custom work to be done:

10. Add front locker (FJ80 HP Elocker)
31. Re-gear new FJ80 High Pinion front differential to 5.29 (Nitro 5.29 gears via East Coast Gear Supply and built by the amazing zippo)
32. Upgraded to dual diaphragm brake booster
33. Upgraded to 1" bore FJ80 brake master cylinder
34. Upgraded to RCV ultimate 30 spline axle shafts + birfields (RCV Perfomance via Jester Fab)
35. Custom parking brake assembly (created by zippo with helipilot's assistance)
36. Installed 1/4" steel knuckle gussets (sourced fromJester Fab)
37. Installed backing plate eliinators (sourced fromJester Fab)

Well I didn't think I could be more tired than after last weekend. Boy was I ever wrong about that. Saturday with some help from amazing :turtle3: friends I was able to solve some residual issues left over from the last work party as well as give my truck some amazing upgrades. Myself, zippo, and helipilot once again convened on zippo's place at a bright and early 6 AM this time to get started on what should probably be 3 days worth of work that we aimed at doing in 1.

In what was probably a very dumb move I had to put my phone out the window and take a picture of this amazing view we are graced with when crossing the bridge to get to zippo's place. Mt Rainier at sunrise just can't be beat.

We got right into tearing down and pulling out the front axle. As you can see this knuckle rebuild was far overdue. I had done one too many water crossings without breathers. It looked like Satan's diarrhea in there.  :yupyup:

As I set about cutting and grinding off the unused brackets on my axle Jason and Nate set about creating a completely custom assembly to solve the problem of me losing my parking brake when I went to the new rear axle last weekend. Jason had come up with an idea the night before and him and Nate created the coolest solution to the problem. These dudes are the real deal.  :bowdown: Meanwhile I finished up grinding and flapping the axle and set about taking the wire wheel to it so that I could completely refresh it's tired paint job. Yes I'm aware that I am a plebe in comparison to those two but hey I'm just glad to have friends like these  :hammer:

Check this thing out:

Right around then is when Drew showed up. Me and him started in on the solving my other brake problem (and much more dangerous one) of only having my brakes activate on the last 1/4 of downward travel of my brake pedal. This was caused by going to the much bigger drum brakes last weekend with the much larger cylinders to fill. My poor little stock 85 master just wasn't cutting it. I had in my possession an FJ80 master cylinder that Nate had given me ages ago that I never got around to putting in. I also had found a dual diaphragm brake booster for sale in my town on Friday so I was all set up to put in quite an upgrade to my braking power. While we started tackling how to get this much larger booster in (my 3rz intake was making it quite a pregnant dog) Nate started to modify the axle housing for the Elocker and Jason made a trip to the parts store to get some needed parts and some brake fluid. I decided to completely strip my knuckles of their studs and give them a much needed scrub down with brake clean followed by some primer and paint. I then put the studs back in with red loctite and torqued them to spec. I had gotten some free knuckle gussets from Dave Jester over at Jester Fab when I bought my RCV from him the week prior and Jason welded those on the housing real quick.

By this point we were making amazing time and really kicking ass. Nate had to go shortly after we had lunch at noon and Drew had to leave around 2. At that point we were putting the differential into the housing and I was actually starting to let myself believe that I wasn't going to have to become zippo's unwanted house guest for the night. So by then we had been baking in the sun all day and were out of ice. Me and Jason decided to make a run to the store and get some refreshment and hit it hard when we got back. We were shooting for being done by 8 PM and it looked very feasible that we could hit that goal. When we got back after downing some ice water, and me losing the majority of the bag of ice when it exploded from me trying to break it up on the concrete, we got stuck into it again. We put the axle into place and got it u-bolted up. Unfortunately this is where we started to slow down. The knuckle rebuild didn't go as fast as we hoped. I had 300M hub gears that came with my RCV to put into my new AISIN hubs (see ya Warn's), and we got to stick those sweet made in the USA RCVs in the hole. I also got rid of my backing plates and put in some eliminators that I had got from Jester Fab as well. By the time the axle was completely re-assembled with all new wipers, seals, and bearings it was approaching 9 PM. We weren't too discouraged as it was looking like we would be done tonight and that was the real goal of the day.

We had to bleed my brakes as we were required to open the system to air and drain it when we did the booster and master upgrade. So we set about bleeding (which took quite a while as there was a lot of air in the system) and finished that and put the wheels on right around 10 PM. Tired but feeling accomplished me and Jason fired up my truck and got ready to take it for a test drive. I put her in reverse to back out of his garage and took a hold of my steering wheel to turn my wheel....It wouldn't move and was completely locked. I gave Jason what I'm sure was a look very similar to this one  :yikes: and we both sat there for a minute going over everything we had done trying to figure out what could be the problem. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks that I had read about people with 1st gen trucks and 4Runners having to run a spacer between the booster and the firewall because of the bigger booster interfering with the steering linkage. I knew right then that was the problem and started cursing up a storm and kicking myself in the ass for being so stupid as to forget about that.   Believe it or not Jason had the factory spacer required (dude has every Toyota part you can dream of I swear) and after calming down and realizing the amount of work we were going to have to do to fix the problem we started into getting it solved. Me and Drew had such a problem getting the booster in before that I had kind of figured out the trick to getting it in and out which more or less boiled down to having to loosen my clutch master cylinder so it could move to the side slightly while also removing my EVAP box. It went a lot quicker than we hoped and we had it back together and set about bleeding the brakes all over again. By this time it was rapidly approaching midnight and we had put in 18 hours of work into my truck. We were both exhausted and I was facing an hour and a half drive home.  :smack: We fired the truck up and took her for a spin and everything was working great. I had better brakes than I ever have had before and my new parking brake was working wonderfully. I thanked Jason profusely for being such a good friend and headed home. After washing off my almost completely black body my head finally hit the pillow around 2:30. Hell of a long day.

Here is the final product. I got to enjoy these axles looking so good while I break in these diffs and wait for my 12volt guy harnesses and panel to come so I can hook up these lockers and start living locked up life  :willynilly:

I had to throw on some new appropriate flair on the window for some extra HP too you know :D

I can't thank Jason, Nate, and Drew enough for all their hard work in helping me do this job. It goes without saying that I couldn't have done it without you guys and you have saved me thousands of dollars in labor. I love you guys!  :love:
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2015, 04:35:39 PM by SqWADoosh »

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #384 on: Jun 22, 2015, 05:57:06 AM »
Looks like yall had a productive weekend.
06 tacoma street truck

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #385 on: Jun 22, 2015, 07:02:02 AM »
Good job guys!
Time to go wheelin!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #386 on: Jun 22, 2015, 11:07:23 AM »
Andrew, you think you have spent enough to deserve those stickers lol? Just pickin at you, that rig is looking sweet! Are you planning to build your own harness/controls for the lockers?
06 tacoma street truck

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: Jun 22, 2015, 11:48:15 AM »
Now you're in business!  Just don't roll that thing over forgetting that it won't lose traction and quit climbing...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: Jun 22, 2015, 11:56:23 AM »
Andrew, you think you have spent enough to deserve those stickers lol? Just pickin at you, that rig is looking sweet! Are you planning to build your own harness/controls for the lockers?

No I will be ordering this soon as I can afford it.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #389 on: Jun 22, 2015, 12:38:02 PM »
That a fair price for such a complete plug and play product.
06 tacoma street truck