Author Topic: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread  (Read 322038 times)

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread
« Reply #300 on: Apr 11, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »
Did some fooling around down by the river after the club BBQ/Moab meeting today.

http://youtu.be/eILuEAg2ADw

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Apr 21, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »
Picked up a CO2 setup for a killer deal on Craigslist. Normally goes for well over $200 + the cost of the mounting bracket. I got it for $100 and it works great! I can't believe how fast it airs tires up.

I picked up this digital inflator off of Amazon to pair with it. Its so ergonomic to use. I couldn't be happier with it.

Otherwise I've just been squirreling money away for the big ticket purchases I need to finish my truck. Also been getting out and enjoying this amazing weather we have been having up here. I went with the girl to an M's game the other day. Got my first sunburn of the year.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Apr 26, 2015, 12:47:41 PM »
Had one hell of a fun trip out with zippo and some other members of my club up at Walker Valley yesterday. Didn't get any pictures and not much video as the girlfriend had to work and she is usually the official photographer/videographer.

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2015, 09:01:21 PM by SqWADoosh »

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #303 on: Apr 28, 2015, 11:49:32 AM »
You wre looking for a blaster. Watch this about 6 min in. Its a 5 gal bucket and the hose/nozel from a blast cabinet. Small cheap and looks like it really works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFuT-mpQHhI
If you see it, its for sale.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Apr 28, 2015, 11:58:28 AM »
You wre looking for a blaster. Watch this about 6 min in. Its a 5 gal bucket and the hose/nozel from a blast cabinet. Small cheap and looks like it really works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFuT-mpQHhI

Ended up watching that whole video. Interesting as F*&$. That blaster does appear to work well. Any clue as where to buy it?

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: Apr 28, 2015, 12:32:14 PM »
It appears that the gravity ones are simpler and don't take such a hefty air source to run. My father in law's compressor only puts out 5.5 CFM at 90 PSI.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,729
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #307 on: Apr 28, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
I have one of the tank style ones from harbor freight. You are welcome to use it if you supply your own abrasive.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: Apr 28, 2015, 05:20:17 PM »
I have one of the tank style ones from harbor freight. You are welcome to use it if you supply your own abrasive.

Does it work well for you? I was checking out the HF one as well.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #309 on: Apr 28, 2015, 05:22:50 PM »
I don't know. I haven't used it yet. You can be the first. It was given to me by a guy who bought and never used it and wanted to give it to someone who would.
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: Apr 28, 2015, 05:24:56 PM »
I don't know. I haven't used it yet. You can be the first. It was given to me by a guy who bought and never used it and wanted to give it to someone who would.

Sweet. Know anywhere locally to pickup media for cheap?

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #311 on: Apr 28, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »
The tank style uses a LOT of media. More then you think and they make a HUGE mess. You could not blast anything with that while bolted on the truck. Thats why I was saying the smaller one. I have used them and my father in law has one. Trust me its not what you want for that you are wanting to do.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: Apr 28, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »
So when you guys are saying tank one you mean a hopper fed one?

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: Apr 28, 2015, 05:43:51 PM »
I figured it out you are talking about this one:

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #314 on: Apr 29, 2015, 12:18:30 AM »
I bought some media at harbor freight. They sell several kinds. I usually lay down a big tarp when I have done blasting in the past. That way you can keep reusing your media.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #315 on: Apr 29, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »
If you are blasting paint and a lite rust you could go fine sand or glass. Blasting hard rust or a lot aluminum oxide, stuff cuts like a beast. Plastic or walnut will remove paint but not rust.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: Apr 29, 2015, 08:45:59 AM »
If you are blasting paint and a lite rust you could go fine sand or glass. Blasting hard rust or a lot aluminum oxide, stuff cuts like a beast. Plastic or walnut will remove paint but not rust.

I'm not doing sand. I will go with recycled glass.

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -147
  • Male Posts: 229
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Conquering the toughest malls.
    • View Profile
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #317 on: Apr 30, 2015, 09:36:22 PM »
Nice videos of Walker. It has changed a lot
'86 4Runner SR5 TRD 5VZ-FE
...slightly modified from OEM...

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 07, 2015, 04:38:37 PM »
Well the pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together. Thanks to a lot of help from my friends (ovrarok, helipilot, 1985crawler, Dingman, rockcrawlingtoy, & zippo) my truck has a lot of help coming her way in the upcoming weeks.

ovrarok went over the moon in sourcing me a dual case setup running a mc07 that was missing the 5209 bearing. After searching for days on the internet for a replacement bearing I finally got through on the phone to Mitch at Marlin. He told me they sell the bearing for $60 or refurbish the whole adapter for $100. So I told ovrarok about this and he was going to the post office to ship some stuff out of his own and offered to send the adapter to Marlin for me. I guess I must have been expecting too much as it appears that I paid an extra $40 for them to simply install the bearing for me. This is how I received it back today from them. I thought they would have resurfaced it or got rid of all the burs at the least. I'm not sure how you could call this "refurbishing" it as it appears all that was done was the two bearings were replaced. Which I could have easily done myself and saved myself the $40 + ovrarok's time & the shipping to and fro.

1985Crawler was coming to Eugene the following week after ovrarok found me the duals. I asked him to pickup my new crawlbox and take it with him when he met RockcrawlinToy in Eugene to buy Rock's extended cab (we've lost him to the jeepers but I'm still dragging his ass to the roundup). RockcrawlingToy couldn't fit the rear case and the crawlbox so I told ovrarok to keep the rear case as a finders fee as I already have two cases in my possession before all of this. It was the adapter I really needed and was searching for one for months. So only thing standing between me and duals now is a cross-member and drive-lines.  :clap: I can't thank rok, crawler, and toy enough for all their help with this. I owe you guys all a debt of gratitude for it and I'm bringing a costco case of beer with your names on it to the roundup. The good :pokinit: too not that colorado piss water you guys tell me you usually drink  :beerchug:

I also have changed direction on what I'm doing about my front locker. I was planning on just putting a spartan in my front diff and running that with my true trac I currently have in the rear. Well now I have gone down a much deeper rabbit hole.

Spurred on by first finding a standard pinion elocker on Craigslist for $350. When I told helipilot about my new scoop he told me he had the gaskets and hardware I needed to install it as it was initially his plan to go with 8" elockers front and rear.When he came over to drop them off I then told him that I also found a FJ80 front axle with a high pinion elocker on Craigslist as well. We then cooked up the plan for him to buy the axle (he wants everything but the diff and the housing as he has plans to run a diamond axle with 9.5" elockers eventually) and sell me the high pinion elocker for a great price. So now the plan going forward is to have elockers front and rear with a high pinion in the front!  :willynilly:

zippo has graciously offered me his expertise in re-gearing them to 5.29 for me once I can swing the $1100 for the gears + install kits from Nitro. So after sharing this plan with the chat Dingman helped a brother out by pointing out that the elockers have a problem with breaking side gears. I did some hard researching into the issue including reaching out to zuk over at www.gearinstalls.com this is what he told me in his reply:

Hi Andrew-
      The problem is not so much with the e-locker side gears it's the axle shafts being used. Some are shorter than others. Here is a copy/paste from my info page....
Below is a copy/paste from my friend Jim Hughes in New Mexico and is in regards to the retrofit e-lockers that are breaking
the sidegear(usually the passenger side goes first)...good info to know....

Zuk, I’ve attached pics of the side gear and axle damage. I did confirm the 2nd gen 4Runner 1989 – 95 (Coil Sprung) rear axle
shafts are approximately 7mm longer than the 1986 – 94 leaf sprung “IFS” axle shafts. This additional length should help from
twisting the side gear as the axle will go into the beefy part of the gear, not just the collar.

He also pointed me in the direction of these two threads on pirate as well: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/806250-toyota-e-locker-fix-89-95-4runners-trucks.html
http://www.yotatech.com/f116/myth-busters-e-locker-conversion-axle-length-199972/

So with this information in hand I asked zippo to keep an eye out for the longer shafts from a 1990-95 coil sprung 4Runner and a rear housing from a leaf sprung IFS truck when he was going to the junkyard earlier this week. Like the legend he is he found me shafts from a 95 Runner and a housing from an 88 all for $60! He broke it all down in the rain for me and lugged it all home for me. An absolute legend! So now once I get the cash together for the gears, an RCV axle (going to put that in the front at the same time as the new diffs), & this awesome controller from 12volt guy it will be time to get elocked up!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:44:19 PM by SqWADoosh »

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 07, 2015, 06:39:54 PM »
After looking over my above post I noticed this that I did not notice before:

A big chunk missing out of the case of the adapter where the bearing sits...

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #320 on: May 07, 2015, 06:47:44 PM »
I'm not sure I wouldn't give it a good look all over and if no other cracks or problems I would run it. Other option. Is to have it tigged up and machined. WHich could be $$. Could it be an oil return or something?

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 07, 2015, 06:56:31 PM »
I'm not sure I wouldn't give it a good look all over and if no other cracks or problems I would run it. Other option. Is to have it tigged up and machined. WHich could be $$. Could it be an oil return or something?

It does not look like one to me. It looks like a piece of the case broke off. I'm going to contact BigMike about it and see what he says the effect of running it like that will be.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 08, 2015, 07:44:13 AM »
I can't imagine it would be much of a problem. Oil is going to come through the bearing anyway and it looks like there is plenty of surface for it to bottom out on.  Couldn't hurt to ask them though.

E-locker and duals, your really going to be getting it now :biggthumpup:
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #323 on: May 08, 2015, 09:01:44 AM »
Swish!
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 08, 2015, 11:51:42 AM »
Looking great.  You'll love selectable lockers, especially with your 4Runner being your every day driver.

You'll have to be careful because if you get too built a lot of the challenges off road go away.  There are times that I'm sure I'd have a lot more fun if I actually had to work to make it up something rather than just going pretty much anyway that I want.  There are certainly places that challenge me, but the more you build the fewer there are.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #325 on: May 08, 2015, 12:05:28 PM »
Looking great.  You'll love selectable lockers, especially with your 4Runner being your every day driver.

You'll have to be careful because if you get too built a lot of the challenges off road go away.  There are times that I'm sure I'd have a lot more fun if I actually had to work to make it up something rather than just going pretty much anyway that I want.  There are certainly places that challenge me, but the more you build the fewer there are.

Treat the lockers as a recovery device, like a winch, you dont drive everywhere on the hook so dont lock up as soon as the tyres go in the dirt. Lock the diffs when it really wont go where you tell it. That way things remain challenging instead of just walking over things.
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 08, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »
Good advice on both accounts.  :beerchug:

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 08, 2015, 03:56:04 PM »
I would error on the side of overusing selectable lockers because it is easier on the rig which translates to less broken parts.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #328 on: May 08, 2015, 06:54:07 PM »
You are also less likely to break stuff this way too.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 12, 2015, 02:50:59 PM »
FINALLY found an inclinometer in brown trim.

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2016, 12:06:17 PM by SqWADoosh »