Author Topic: Nations 3RZ-FE Turbo Swap/Build Thread MegaSquirt Install  (Read 164071 times)

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
Boosted baby! Looks and sounds good! I was just at my mad scientists garage brainstorming turbo nonsense. I'll be spooling a 22re up in no time then we will plan a trip. Cant wait till you get your gauges and whatnot setup, turbos are the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. :beerchug:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Truck is headed to the exhaust shop today  :outtahere:
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Crunchy Taco

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 90
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Flexiest leaf sprung taco I kno
    • View Profile
I was guna say u should be fine drivin your rig, what spring does your wastegate have in it? You should be pushin whatever psi your spring is if your controller isn't bumping things up any, you'll know your runnin higher psi if your motor cuts out at wot do to lack of fuel.
98 Tacoma ex cab, Garrett T3 turbo 7psi, w56, 2.28 duals, ceramic sprung puck clutch, toyota solid axle, Tacoma rear axle w/ e-locker, plated frame front and rear, fuel tank raised with custom armored cradle, 1 ton steering 35" general grabbers wheeler/DD built from stock http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=95652.msg1066733#msg1066733

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
7 psi spring. I also have an in cab co troll er turned to the lowest setting. Is my minimum 7psi? Or will the boost controller over ride that to a lower setting?
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I'm assuming 7psi is my minimum and the boost controller will only increase boost...

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
OK. just got done driving it for the first time. It runs like crap haha. Falls on its face between shifts and putting some sort of white smoke out of the tailpipe under load. maybe assembly lube burning off out of turbo... its not oil anyway... Also when I was pulling into my driveway i gave it some good throttle for a second and when I let off it died.   :hammer:   let the fun begin!   :cheese:

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Also, I had to remove the egr tube from egr and exhaust manifold and i blocked the port on the egr with lcs egr block off kit.. the lc manifold has no egr port. Exhaust does not burn well so lc doesnt want it in the sytem for maximum performance. Maybe i need to take the entire egr off of the intake manifold? or is it just ok to block off the egr with a plate?  hopefully that makes sense. i will be reading up. - so I ended up removing the entire egr from the intake. Much cleaner look.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2014, 07:49:22 AM by NATION »

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
probably help if i had the rear o2 sensor plugged in..........   :outtahere:

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda

Thats WOT btw... first to third.  see me blow by that lexus?!   :boozer:

n6dlh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since May '14
    • View Profile
I did not see a bypass valve on there are you running one? When you come off of throttle, the turbo is still spooled, air pressure builds at the throttle plate. But there is fuel being added momentary due to the MAF reading air flow, that is until the injector cut out happens. It causes a momentary rich spike, then the fuel cut happens and the pressure on the throttle plate will actually cause the air to flow back through the turbo, you will see a momentary 0 grams per second MAF reading, it can cause off throttle problems due to lean or rich conditions and can cause it to stall.  A bypass valve will help dampen the affects of this.

The best option is to run the bypass valve from the intake pipe back to the inlet of the turbo. It can help with a quicker spool, and less lag between shifts. Since the air hitting the throttle plate is bypassed back into the turbo inlet allowing it to spool, versus backing up in the throttle and allowing it to spool down. It also will keep the MAF from getting false readings. Much better option then a BOV, since you are effectively venting air that was metered by the MAF to atmosphere, so ECM adds fuel to compensate for air, air go PFFT out of the engine, the fuel is still getting injected.

Just some of the problems that I have run into on my home brew turbo projects. White smoke can either be coolant or fuel. Over fueling can cause white smoke, but normally will be accompanied by a raw fuel smell near the exhaust pipe.
1989 4Runner 3rz Swap

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
haha ok sooo. My coolant temperature sensor had come unplugged. I was unable to pinpoint this at first because it was so hot outside that the motor still started fairly quickly. Its my understanding that the coolant temp sensor on the back of the head passenger side tells the ecu how much to send... so the fuel was being dumped into the motor........   SO.. i threw the scanner on the truck and found one code: coolant temperature snesor. plugged it in, drove it around the block a few times and vuala! no more smokin!! sweet!!!  I also learned a little something today...  This hose from the valve cover to the throttle body must be removed and the throttle body side plugged and valve cover side should have a filter installed. If you do not address this, then when the throttle plate closes the pressure from the turbo will be forced into the motor. No bueno muchocho
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2014, 04:53:38 PM by NATION »

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I did not see a bypass valve on there are you running one? When you come off of throttle, the turbo is still spooled, air pressure builds at the throttle plate. But there is fuel being added momentary due to the MAF reading air flow, that is until the injector cut out happens. It causes a momentary rich spike, then the fuel cut happens and the pressure on the throttle plate will actually cause the air to flow back through the turbo, you will see a momentary 0 grams per second MAF reading, it can cause off throttle problems due to lean or rich conditions and can cause it to stall.  A bypass valve will help dampen the affects of this.

The best option is to run the bypass valve from the intake pipe back to the inlet of the turbo. It can help with a quicker spool, and less lag between shifts. Since the air hitting the throttle plate is bypassed back into the turbo inlet allowing it to spool, versus backing up in the throttle and allowing it to spool down. It also will keep the MAF from getting false readings. Much better option then a BOV, since you are effectively venting air that was metered by the MAF to atmosphere, so ECM adds fuel to compensate for air, air go PFFT out of the engine, the fuel is still getting injected.

Just some of the problems that I have run into on my home brew turbo projects. White smoke can either be coolant or fuel. Over fueling can cause white smoke, but normally will be accompanied by a raw fuel smell near the exhaust pipe.

No bypass valve. Thats all very good advice and the motor has actually died on me a few times already haha. wouldnt want it to happen at a traffic light coming up behind someone haha. I will incorporate a RBOV soon. I need to get a job asap haha. I was going to put this evo intercooler I have on the truck and bend up some piping.... My energy is still drained from the motor swap and these transfer cases haha
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2014, 12:21:21 PM by NATION »

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Motor will die at times after hard throttle and sort of falls on its face for a second when you grab another gear, but no more white smoke!!!  :teeth:

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Getting started on making a gauge pod mount. Going to sacrifice my inclineometer for a nice clean stockish look. 

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I ghetto fabbed myself an intake mount bracket haha.    :smack:

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Put on a fancy red Tach needle.. Still haven't been able to locate a gauge cluster from a quad coil donor truck 01-04 3rz  (for a reasonable price) so I can remove its "Brain" to get the Tach working...
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2014, 12:24:15 PM by NATION »

OVRAROK

• Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
^^ Happy Birthday Dave!!

Zach- I have been in touch with Cliff at http://www.toyonlyswaps.com/Home_Page.php. I bought a cluster and speedo cable from him for Reeds ride. you might shoot him an e-mail, see what he has. He said they have lots of Tacomas right now  :thumbs:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Awesome! Thanks Guys!

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Got my gauge mount all ready for the gauges/install.

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Noticed some sort of residue on the side of the turbo.... when you rub the area with a rag the sediment is black, but on the turbo surface it looks like coolant would.... no coolant over there though haha.  hmmm... I emailed john @ LCEngineering. Hoping its just something stupid  :dunno: . We shall see. Im not too familiar with turbos..

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Ok. After much reading and a response from john @ LCengineering, the white sediment on the turbo could be from a few different things (over fueling, E85, running fuel with cleaning additiives) but is nothing to worry about.  I ensured the bolts were snug and its good to go . 

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Truck runs killer! At 7psi my AFM is pegged at 11.1 WOT.  It's not ideal, but safe anyway. Gotta give it up to toyota. Did a great job with the ecu. I'll try and get some footage up but it's hard to shift, steer and film....

Tungsten Slayer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
Intercooled?  7 psi sounds fun!  After I get the MAF situation figured out I might throw in my 6 psi spring and get a little intercooler..  Congrats on the setup working!

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
No intercooler. Probably start on that next week. I also have an ancient HKS RBOV from late eighty early ninetys I was gonna throw o  there.

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Still have room for one more gauge (oil pressure) 

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
Lookin good buddy!! :yesnod:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

Nation [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Nations 3RZ TURBO Swap/Build thread
« Reply #448 on: Sep 21, 2014, 08:27:20 AM »
So yesterday a new GTI was in front of me on mulholland and opened it up... i down shifted and stuck right on his bumper. It was awesome. Also have a Silverado 5.3 under the belt. She said man that things a sleeper haha!

Crunchy Taco

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 90
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Flexiest leaf sprung taco I kno
    • View Profile
Re: Nations 3RZ TURBO Swap/Build thread
« Reply #449 on: Sep 21, 2014, 09:08:21 AM »
Its runnin good enough to waste people, right on. What kind of afr you runnin when your just puttin around ?
98 Tacoma ex cab, Garrett T3 turbo 7psi, w56, 2.28 duals, ceramic sprung puck clutch, toyota solid axle, Tacoma rear axle w/ e-locker, plated frame front and rear, fuel tank raised with custom armored cradle, 1 ton steering 35" general grabbers wheeler/DD built from stock http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=95652.msg1066733#msg1066733