Author Topic: 84 reg cab CO: HALT! Now an 85 Runner  (Read 153060 times)

zachc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
Re: 84 reg cab CO: keep n rebuild engine
« Reply #600 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:36:38 AM »
looking good bro

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #601 on: Feb 10, 2011, 10:22:24 AM »
skip the offy, the 20R intake is amazing.

dont worry, the stock 20R head will still make it scream but you'll need a healthy cam (did we already discuss that???)

deck to smooth :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 1,590
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Back at it after 5 years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »
Yessir, cam will be engnbldr's crawler cam, 261* duration I think?

I might have screwed up my 20R intake, tried removing the water choke outlet and ended up snapping it off. Awesome. I have been trying to get it out with various methods; the base is still stuck in the intake. I have a few plugs lying around to take its place if it ever comes out.
The head is getting decked, the 20R valves are present and in "usable" condition and that's about all for now. I have to work this Saturday so Sunday is going to be my "get kinda caught up" day, think I'll start putting the interior back together. Got the vent stuff all shiny and clean now, think I oughta put new felt on the pieces... any ideas on where to get this magical stuff? It's about 1/4" thick and maybe 1" wide, open-cell, goes around vent joints/ducting/etc.

On a side note, I have been thinking about a paint color and I think I've found it:

http://www.firefighternation.com/group/thevolunteers/forum/topics/what-color-are-your-trucks-1

But I'd do some satin SR5 stripes and find a way to make the color brighter. Like a LOT brighter, like retina-burning bright...  just because.

>>Dan
ASE certified shadetree mechanic and spoon operator
IronClad: If I wanted to hold hands and be nice I'd become a hippie.
85 4Runner, duals, 38s, 5.29s, locked, 3.4 swapped, GranVille Edition

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »
Got the dash mostly finalized, gauges are in the center vent holes, radio and CB are tucked away and that's about it for now... sprayed some colors at work to see what'd look good on ol' Grond; so far I'm digging the new Camaro bright green. I'm not worried about scratching it since paint is an easy fix (to me). I'm thinking about a bright Ferrari yellow too or some sort of bright orange. The paint mixing computer has listings for Federal agencies and their respective paint schemes; maybe a nice Forest Service green would do the trick.

>>Dan

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:49:03 AM »
Yessir, cam will be engnbldr's crawler cam, 261* duration I think?

I might have screwed up my 20R intake, tried removing the water choke outlet and ended up snapping it off. Awesome. I have been trying to get it out with various methods; the base is still stuck in the intake. I have a few plugs lying around to take its place if it ever comes out.
The head is getting decked, the 20R valves are present and in "usable" condition and that's about all for now. I have to work this Saturday so Sunday is going to be my "get kinda caught up" day, think I'll start putting the interior back together. Got the vent stuff all shiny and clean now, think I oughta put new felt on the pieces... any ideas on where to get this magical stuff? It's about 1/4" thick and maybe 1" wide, open-cell, goes around vent joints/ducting/etc.

On a side note, I have been thinking about a paint color and I think I've found it:

http://www.firefighternation.com/group/thevolunteers/forum/topics/what-color-are-your-trucks-1

But I'd do some satin SR5 stripes and find a way to make the color brighter. Like a LOT brighter, like retina-burning bright...  just because.

>>Dan
do yourself a favor and get this cam http://www.lceperformance.com/Camshaft-20R-22R-RE-RET-Street-Performer-Cam-p/1022054.htm
you can use your stock springs and adjusters
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:00:08 AM »
Talked shop with the machine shop today and this engine stuff is going to run at least $1000... but there's a guy with an 82 LB for $2000 with rebuilt engine (under 100 miles) Hooker header, Schneider cam (dunno specs) and .030 overbore. I might bail on the hybrid build, buy the 82, stick that rebuilt engine in my pile; then either part out or re-engine the 82. I could use duals and spare parts...  :headscratch:

Dang interwebs... most anyone who has a hybrid build doesn't talk about those little details and the total/final cost of the build. Jerks...

I've got a 3-day weekend so the truck will get some lovin'.  :love:

>>Dan
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2011, 06:39:11 PM by wakkjobb »

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #606 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:54:30 PM »
Went to talk shop with the machine shop yesterday and this engine stuff is going to run at least $1000... but there's a guy with an 82 LB for $2000 with rebuilt engine (under 100 miles) Hooker header, Schneider cam (dunno specs) and .030 overbore. I might bail on the hybrid build, buy the 82, stick that rebuilt engine in my pile; then either part out or re-engine the 82. I could use duals and spare parts...  :headscratch:

Dang interwebs... most anyone who has a hybrid build doesn't talk about those little details and the total/final cost of the build. Jerks...

Or buy a wrecked Tacoma with a 3RZ/5VZ and just swap it.  I'd never put $1000 into a 22R/20R/22RE but that's just me. I regret putting the $600-700 I did into my 22RE.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: Feb 18, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »
$1000 before parts did shock me a good bit... so right now it's on hold; the block's been cleaned and that's it so I'm not halfway done or anything.
5VE... that's constantly an option and I see Russell has one now... wonder if he takes payments?  :disturbed:   I'm trying to do a "fast" engine swap so I can get this thing back together by spring but so far it's not looking too good. I don't know if I'd be up for a V6 swap right now anyways since I just re-wired the dang truck for a 4-banger. Guess I could tear out everything, start over again and hope to get it right the first time; it's not like the truck's going anywhere soon.  :down:

The $2000 82 makes sense (to me) because it can be parted out:
rebuilt engine
top-shift t-case
spare axles
springs for RUF
bits-n-pieces to sell

...but it could turn into another project as well. Suz's Tribeca isn't exactly "rock friendly" and we'll need room for the dog/camping stuff.

I have absolutely NO idea anymore...   :qtip: 

>>Dan
oughta sell it and get another AllTrac

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: Feb 18, 2011, 11:55:08 PM »
pick something and stick with it Dan. I feel like you keep changing your mind
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: Feb 19, 2011, 08:53:28 AM »
I do keep changing my mind because things pop up unexpectedly and make plans change. Wasn't I talking about a 7MG-TE swap at one point?  :disturbed:
Plus it's also a matter of timing and money; I was unemployed for nearly 2 years (not getting unemployment) so I did whatever I could for free/cheap which is why I kept the 22R from the start. I'm going to need another DD soon since the CRX pukes smoke for about 10 minutes after start-up and the mileage dropped in half. 25mpg sucks compared to a history of 40+ mpg.

Now begins the hunt for a 3.4 or 2.7... the U-Pull has a few trucks listed that should have an engine; unless they're in the cash for clunkers section.

>>Dan

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
To hell with it all, the 4-banger is out. Everything's for sale (engine, not truck) and I'm starting with a....................

nother engine. What engine?? Diesel? Turbo 4, V6, V8? Good sweet baby Jesus in a manger I am terrible with choices.

>>Dan

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:39:26 PM »
1980 Benz turbo diesel for $800... rated 125 hp and 180 tq; first turbo sedan in America (according to wikipedia) needs glow plugs. $800... sounds good to me! It's been for sale for a while so maybe $600?

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/2171384919.html

I have read another build (first gen w/Benz diesel) and it seems pretty feasable... also the junkyard didn't have any 3.4 or 2.7 engines. There is an 86 Runner there that I'd like to snag the brake booster and top-shift from; rear third is already gone. 5-speed trans and 99% of interior is still there though if anyone wants something. Front seats are junked... ripped/faded/crappy.

>>Dan

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:29:53 AM »
wth are you doing to the motor to have $1000 in labor??  boring shouldnt cost over 100 bucks, decking $25, decking head $25,  turning crank $100

get your motor away from that shop they  have you bent over a barrel and I hear banjo's playin :aaa:

my 20/22 hybrid cost me $500 and that included all block parts.  not the timing or oil pump (already had those)

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:40:39 AM »
Dan, I have seen several $500 3.4s on Craigslist.  I don't see any right at the moment...   But just wait and I'm sure another will pop up.
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: Feb 20, 2011, 12:47:04 PM »
he also has to factor in the cost of a r150f among other things for a 3.4 swap

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: Feb 20, 2011, 07:33:14 PM »
Yes, that too. :empty pockets: I have taken my random crap (turbo Celica engine, SBCs, I-6 292...) to this shop for years and haven't had any problems. I just picked up my 67 292 (with .060" overbore) and that cost me $1600 to rebuild, but it has new EVERYTHING. I've had a Clifford intake/exhaust for it since 2006 or so.
The labor was for boring/honing, cleaning, grind crank, resize rods, install pistons/crank, install bearings, clean head, deck head, port intake, gasket match intake to head, combustion chamber work (port/polish etc) and probably something else...

Since the 22R shat a bearing I factored in new oil and water pumps, timing guides, gaskets galore, fancy-pants cam and a clutch... also resurface the flywheel. I sold my radiator so I'll need another one (I guess... :hammerhead:), fuel filters, air filter, belts, t-stat... the crap really adds up fast.

Here's hoping I can sell enough stuff to get that Benz or something.

>>Dan

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:29:12 PM »
3.slow, wiring, extras, 5-speed, top-shift... $400:

http://pueblo.craigslist.org/pts/2204026823.html

Yes, I cannot ever make up my mind.

>>Dan

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: Feb 20, 2011, 11:47:37 PM »
Dont do that to yourself.3.0 is not worth a minute of your time

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: Feb 21, 2011, 01:02:38 PM »
he also has to factor in the cost of a r150f among other things for a 3.4 swap

It's true that there's a lot more to factor in, however a lot of times the $500 engine comes with a trans!  Mine did...  Actually I paid $550, but I also had a Marlin gear drive adapter, ECU, wiring, all accessories, etc. included.  I thought I got a seriously smokin' deal, but since then I have seen several going for that rate.  Probably a manual transmission will be more expensive, though...  But Dan, if you don't care either way...
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile

81_yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -41
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Apr '10
  • Parcore !
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:34:07 PM »
And you think the hybrid is pricie think about all the fab work for some of your ideas

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:24:38 AM »
Ooooooo...turbo diesel...  :eyebrow:

:thumbs:  That one has my approval.

22RE-T...meh.  Cool I guess.  But the fact that it will have to be torn down and rebuilt some, and the rest of the truck looks like hell... I would be a little hesitant.

81_yota:  Fab work done in a shop with a welder and a grinder is damn near free.  That's what most engine swaps entail.  Machining work at a shop is EXPENSIVE.  It is almost always much much cheaper to put a running motor in place of a non running motor, rather than rebuild it right.

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: Feb 22, 2011, 12:06:15 PM »
Ooooooo...turbo diesel...  :eyebrow:

:thumbs:  That one has my approval.

22RE-T...meh.  Cool I guess.  But the fact that it will have to be torn down and rebuilt some, and the rest of the truck looks like hell... I would be a little hesitant.

81_yota:  Fab work done in a shop with a welder and a grinder is damn near free.  That's what most engine swaps entail.  Machining work at a shop is EXPENSIVE.  It is almost always much much cheaper to put a running motor in place of a non running motor, rather than rebuild it right.

Thats why I picked up a non-running 1992 4runner SR5 with a blown 3.0 for $1000 and swapped in a 3.4 for another $1000. I now have one nice DD for less than the cost of a nice running 4runner with a 3.slow

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: Feb 22, 2011, 12:09:43 PM »
Are you sure you wish to disable notification of new replies for this topic?  Oh yes   :outtahere:

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
Re: 84 reg cab CO: engines are over-rated
« Reply #624 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:38:02 PM »
Dang, sorry I'm so indecisive and broke...  :down:

Anyway, I promise NOT TO POST ANYTHING engine-related until I actually get something.

In the meantime:

RUFs/new shackles
lower cab n sliders
brake work (booster, big MC... etc)
bed work/storage
move fuel tank? (doubtful)
wrap up interior
close random holes in engine bay
clean-n-paint engine bay
make half doors? (low priority)

...and that should hold me over until some engine falls into the shop, now I kinda miss being unemployed.

Thanks for everyone's input; wish I coulda done SOMEthing but money says "NO" more often than not.
>>Dan
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2011, 08:10:27 PM by wakkjobb »

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:53:50 AM »
Well I hate to temp you with a broken promise but we picked up a mk4 Jetta TDI. Looked over that 2rz at my buddy's and it's pretty clean. That 3rz should be all finished up today. Worked it all out last night.... I just hope he fallows through. Keep me posted if i can give you a hand finding something.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »
From what I've read on the Acme Adapters site, the newer (99+up) VW diesel stuff isn't easily adaptable and I don't know what years mkIV VWs span. Well according to Wikipedia the 4gen ran from 99-01. Hey, I learned sumthin!  :idea:

From their FAQ:
Will the Acme Suzuki Turbo Diesel Conversion Kit work with a late model VW TDI motor?
Yes. The ACME kit will allow you to directly bolt your Samurai, Toyota 22R style or Sidekick/Tracker transmission to a Volkswagen TDI engine. However, the early TDI, from 1996-1998, needs the wiring and computer along with the engine controls in order to work outside of the VW car in a Suzuki or Toyota platform. Beware that the later 1999 and up TDI’s are more complicated to swap and require the engine computer, dash instrument cluster, ignition key––all matching from the same serial numbered vehicle. This is due to VW's immobilization and anti-theft control system. The later TDI's need major modification as well. All the accessory bracketry needs to be removed; the oil filter assembly along with the water outlets require re-fabrication in order to use them in a Suzuki platform. The earlier models share the same accessories as the 1.9 IDI engines. For those that want to eliminate the TDI computer and computer controlled injection pump, you can replace the stock TDI Injection Pump with a modified hybrid mechanical injection pump that can handle the TDI’s requirements. These pumps are built and sold through VW performance specialty shops. They run close to $1200.

Yes, I realize this breaks my promise of engine-stuff posting but I figured it was an acceptable exception. So there.

>>Dan

wakkjobb [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: Mar 06, 2011, 12:34:19 PM »
Considering selling the damn thing since engines aren't falling from the sky.
What would be a decent price/what would you pay for a rolling chassis with:
5.29s Lok-Rite Detroit sliders flatbed hydro assist 63s Marlin hi-steer spare RUFs IFS brake swap stock trans/case square front shaft spare doors CV rear shaft ugly green paint gray interior no radio/CB clear title

>>Dan

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #628 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »
5.29s Lok-Rite Detroit sliders flatbed hydro assist 63s Marlin hi-steer spare RUFs IFS brake swap stock trans/case square front shaft spare doors CV rear shaft ugly green paint gray interior no radio/CB clear title

>>Dan

Why would you sell it if the only thing it needs is an engine?  I honestly don't get it?  Just stab a motor in it and go.  22R and 22RE's are a dime a dozen.  Or same some cash, buy a rebuilt shortblock and snag a crashed out 22RE powered whatever for cheap.  When I decided to swap over to EFI, I bought a salvaged out 85 for $375, stole everthing I needed out of it, sold some brand new bushwackers flares he gave me for $75, swapped a friend of mine's shitty warn hubs for the good aisins (so he could get aisins), dumped all the leftovers in the cab, put the blown up 22R from my project in it and stll sold it for $400.  Swapped to Efi MADE me $100.  You just need to have the cash ready and be able to jump when you see it.  It took me months before something like that came about. 
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »

>>Dan

i got $500 on it ;)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~