Author Topic: Project BoostedRunner, SOLD  (Read 538475 times)

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Project BoostedRunner Snow wheelin pics+vids
« Reply #870 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:06:33 PM »
So question, was the factory harness actually cut into and the connectors cut off so you can no longer troubleshoot any wiring issues?  Because if so, that would be a hack job because nothing can be fixed.  I am dealing with an RX7 with an LS6 swap where they cut off every connector.  Yes things were soldered, but at that point who cares.

Wires taped together are obvious signs of a temporary connection until  all the wiring connections are 100% correct.  No sense soldering and re-cutting wires due to further troubleshooting until you are 100% sure there will be no additional wires included.

Yellow's 4runner was obviously not 100% complete, if so it would not have been sold for the price.
Are you Tobin's buddy or somethin? tryin to stick up for him on the forum?  I'm getting sick of your posts real fast.  So far I have deleted them without responding at all.  So you are asking for a response as to whether it is a hack job or not?  Yes it absolutely is a very poorly done engine swap, Including wiring and other mechanical items. As far as the wiring goes i could go on and on about all the crappy work and the stuff i have already fixed/replaced.  Alright lets see, well since you stated that "wires taped together are obvious signs of a temporary connection" then i guess this engine was temporarily going to be in this 4runner. The wiring for the afm alone had two or three splices in EACH wire within a span of about two feet of wiring. Those wires also changed colors a few times too and they were just taped. The air/fuel gauge did not work because the wire coming from the ecu that reads the o2 sensor was spliced three times, and might i add all of those splices were not even twisted together. The wires were simply hooked together and thrown under the floor mat! not even covered in tape!  The ecu was laying on the passenger floor so the passengers could conveniantly kit it around and abuse it. All of the extra wiring and the new wiring that was added in on the passenger side was not even covered by the kick panel or anything else, so there was a rats nest of wire completely exposed to the passenger foot area also.  I found a couple wires that went from the ecu, through the firewall, and into the engine bay that  had unnecessary splicing with differrent color wires. The reason the splicing was not necessary was because they made the wires so long that they hung down into the engine bay all sloppy.  I was able to remove wire they added and they were still long enough to reach their destination. The wires for the electric fan were taped together so loosely that they fell off the fan and the engine came very close to overheating while i was stopped at a traffic light. Oh and i would think that someone who is going to attempt an engine swap would be smart enough to know that you should have multiple ground cables in the engine bay. One to the block from battery, one to the body from battery, and another from the valve cover to the body. I found one ground cable going from the battery to the starter bolt.  There is more, but i am getting tired of typing. So all in all i would deffinately consider that a hack job :thumbs:
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

SuperRunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Jul '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:01:08 PM »
But were the connectors cut and wires hardwired to something else?  Because what you have described is pretty temporary and just needs to be made solid.

Here is some wiring the SAME GUY did for a FINISHED project.   Everything labeled and grouped together, and even most of the wires under the loom are labeled as well.  This was from a 2005 vehicle with all sorts of fun stuff like drive-by-wire, injection pumps, evap pumps, cruise control built into ECU, and a 5 speed auto.   Hacked no, finished yes.

First temporary like this

then after everything has been verified working, SOLID solder joints are made with DOUBLE shrink tube on EVERY connection loomed up.

A HACK job would be if the factory wiring was all HACKED up, which in your case it is not, instead a jumper harness like the one pictured above was created.  The one on your 4runner was NEVER finished.

You purchased a vehicle that was NOT completed, and you were made VERY aware of that, if you wanted a finished vehicle, you should have had more money in your bank account.

Glad to see that you are going through and FINISHING everything though, it does look really nice.

If you want to see a hack job, I can take some pictures of this LS6 RX7 wiring that was supposidly "FINISHED"  Factory connectors were cut off and there is no way to troubleshoot.  At least in your case, just look at the pinouts and you are good to go.

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 06:13:49 PM by SuperRunner »

pumkin toy [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #872 on: Feb 09, 2010, 08:48:10 PM »
well if the same guy did the wiring on my rig then he did a crap job.  i dont care if it is supposed to be considered "temporary" as it is right now.  In order to make it not temporary, an entire new harness would have to be made for it.  You cant just take heatshrink and wire loom and wrap up all the multiple, unnecessary, different color connections, and then call it permanent. Because no matter what, under that wire loom will be mismatched colors and bad connections that will eventually cause alot of trouble.  I wish i had the patience to build an entirely new harness, but that probly wont happen.
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: Feb 09, 2010, 08:50:50 PM »
what a damn mess.
i love oregon wheelin.

pumkin toy [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #874 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:05:32 PM »
what a damn mess.
mine or the picture? lol
97 4runner Limited

NITE KRAWLERS

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -35
  • Male Posts: 970
  • Member since Oct '09
  • I KNOW A SWEENEY BRO!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:18:43 PM »
Pumkin toys engine swap was a hack job big time i don't care how well ya try to make it, temp or not. Tobin was mobb n around wit it like it was and had no intension of fixing it right. It would of been like a 6 year temp job far as i'm concerned. Crap is hang n all over and spliced at every point possible. If this was my wire job and it left my shop like this i would not put my name on it at all. First of all it would not of left my shop like pumpkin bought it. It was a fire waiting to explode. Surprized he made it all the way home. We have fixed so many wires it would make a monkey loose his mind! He is still fixing wires as he goes. I don't know why it would be temp, that just tells me someone didn't know how to read a diagram and did not know wat they were doing so they just tried this and that and that and it worked and got left that way. HACK JOB at its best man. When its all done it will be 100% better than who ever did the hack job or temp as i guess we call it and 100% better than they had ever planed on it being. This is Lame anyway who cares, post somewhere else dude's. Cause this is a place where sick wicked tricked  twisted gnarly runners  hang out. Ha HA not  :rivers:
Sometimes life is a rock an we need a Yota to get over it an Chevy is like a rock so I'm over it!!!

NITE KRAWLERS

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:22:37 PM »

Hey it looks like yo runner did dude. Throw a floor mat over it and call it good. Grab the zip ties and tie em up. But let them hang down a bit to cause its just temp for now. HA HA temp thats funny right there.  :thumbs:
Sometimes life is a rock an we need a Yota to get over it an Chevy is like a rock so I'm over it!!!

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:13:39 PM »
Here is some wiring the SAME GUY did for a FINISHED project

Maybe superrunner wired it?

anyways...

Runner looks great man, sounds so nice in the videos!!! KEEP EM COMIN!!!!
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:14:27 PM »
BTW, I could say some really funny :pokinit: right now... But ill hold off for a few minutes  :greengrin:
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

NITE KRAWLERS

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:15:43 PM »

anyways...

SUPER GOOD JOB!!!!!!!

SuperRunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:30:11 AM »
Hey it looks like yo runner did dude. Throw a floor mat over it and call it good. Grab the zip ties and tie em up. But let them hang down a bit to cause its just temp for now. HA HA temp thats funny right there.  :thumbs:

You do realize that the rats nest above is the SAME vehicle as THIS?  I was showing you a before and after, unfinished vs finished.

Pumkin, Yellow never finished it, and he TOLD YOU THAT.  Does the JUMPER harness need to be re-done?  Yes.  But the fact remains that the factory harness are still intact.  Most people just start cutting away at the factory harness.  That is a hack job.  To even take the initiative to build a jumper harness is a step in the right direction.  Now go finish it and quick complaining.  You got what you paid for. If you wanted a completed project, the price would have been well about 10K, END OF STORY!!!

And again, great job on the build.  It is nice to see the vehicle progress.

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:47:20 AM by SuperRunner »

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #881 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:34:43 AM »
who gives a flying monkey crap superrunner.

id never pay over 6K if it was completed by tobin.
he aint complainin bout what he got. you guys are complainin about that he still owes 125bucks.

stop trying to make a point and butter tobins ass.
your rant is over, no one cares :D
go cry bout it to tobin or yur lame buddies.

:beerchug:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

4Runtoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I Love My Toy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:37:14 AM »
Can we all just get along.....   :kickbutt:    :roflsign:

Yota-Freak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 469
  • Member since Jul '08
  • Pass tha' whiskey and that rot gut Shine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:38:19 AM »
some serious hatein' goin on this page.

SuperRunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »
well, when you start slandering someones reputation based on half truths people care.  

It wasn't completed by tobin, so your comment not paying over 6K is correct, thanks for clarifying.  

The fact remains, pumkin purchased a work in progress and he knew that.  So why go and start slandering someone about it.  

But I have already seen by many of the comments posted on this board that integrity is out the window.

Yota-Freak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:41:54 AM »
its like virtual highschool drama!!! lmao

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #886 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:43:53 AM »
Yup and i graduated HS in 2006, So I'm outtie.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Yota-Freak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:47:23 AM »
im in school right now Matt lmao. I say we all get along. i kno i kno...i dont know the whole story but who cares...we all get on this site for one reason and that is to talk to fellow toyota off roaders and get our heads outta the crazyness that we see around us on a daily basis.

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 580
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: Feb 10, 2010, 11:18:37 AM »
 :popcorn:

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: Feb 10, 2010, 12:24:18 PM »
will someone please think of the children!

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: Feb 10, 2010, 02:50:25 PM »
 :shake_head:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:18:07 PM »
Pumpkin I feel your pain.... kinda. My motor swap was not the cleanest but I made due. It all was labeled nicely and BigMike knows where everything is... I hope, lol. But, In my case the full 3rz harness was left in tact to run the essentials. Now I did have to pull the interior and loom , separate, and remove a few things...oh well. I bought a project/toy.

Now those snow wheelin vids are sweet.. I want a turbo now, jeees. Or at least one of those things that make it sound like I have one.  And I agree with the posts on trimming the rear some more, but I would round the fenders to match the tires.. 

pumkin toy [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #892 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:24:17 PM »

anyways...

i was kinda thinkin maybe he wired it  lol.  and thanks dude! i am going to try and get a bunch of video this year.  I wil be sure to post alot of it.  oh and you can pm me the funny stuff you were thinkin!  You make me laugh my ass off with some of your posts so you can keep it comin :biggthumpup:
You do realize that the rats nest above is the SAME vehicle as THIS?  I was showing you a before and after, unfinished vs finished.

Pumkin, Yellow never finished it, and he TOLD YOU THAT.  Does the JUMPER harness need to be re-done?  Yes.  But the fact remains that the factory harness are still intact.  Most people just start cutting away at the factory harness.  That is a hack job.  To even take the initiative to build a jumper harness is a step in the right direction.  Now go finish it and quick complaining.  You got what you paid for. If you wanted a completed project, the price would have been well about 10K, END OF STORY!!!

And again, great job on the build.  It is nice to see the vehicle progress.

Well i know i bought a project in progress, everyone's rig on this forum is a vehicle in progress. It is just dissapointing when the guy tells you he has been driving it for like five years with the engine swap done and then you come to find out he has a horrible wiring harness goin on! I would think that if he had been driving it for that long then the harness would be alot more clean and put together.  But the fact is i'm over it and i will deal with it. I know i got a good deal on the rig so i'm not really complaining that much.
Can we all just get along.....   :kickbutt:    :roflsign:
I think we can get along just fine!  i didnt even start anything, just like the last big drama situation! ha ha
some serious hatein' goin on this page.
i know i'm really over it! but one of Tobin's little buddies keeps making posts that bring up the drama.
well, when you start slandering someones reputation based on half truths people care. 

It wasn't completed by tobin, so your comment not paying over 6K is correct, thanks for clarifying. 

The fact remains, pumkin purchased a work in progress and he knew that.  So why go and start slandering someone about it. 

But I have already seen by many of the comments posted on this board that integrity is out the window.
you know what really needs to be out the window is your posts, then we can stop wasting time talking all this bs and continue with the build info.
Pumpkin I feel your pain.... kinda. My motor swap was not the cleanest but I made due. It all was labeled nicely and BigMike knows where everything is... I hope, lol. But, In my case the full 3rz harness was left in tact to run the essentials. Now I did have to pull the interior and loom , separate, and remove a few things...oh well. I bought a project/toy.

Now those snow wheelin vids are sweet.. I want a turbo now, jeees. Or at least one of those things that make it sound like I have one.  And I agree with the posts on trimming the rear some more, but I would round the fenders to match the tires.. 
yeah this by far isnt the first swapped vehicle i have owned that has wiring harness issues!  I'm thinkin i will have to pull out most of the harness and redo it if i really want it to be reliable. I'm not looking forward to that at all :crazy:  I will deffinatley be doing some more rear fender trimming, probly this weekend.  And i agree 100% with you,  the fenders will be trimmed in a rounded fashion, i'm not gonna square them out at all. oh and btw i love your truck dude! its super clean and looks great :thumbs:
97 4runner Limited

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #893 on: Feb 11, 2010, 12:27:20 AM »
well if u want that harness of my buddies.. to have a good start... to splice into. let me know!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

pumkin toy [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #894 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:18:43 AM »
well if u want that harness of my buddies.. to have a good start... to splice into. let me know!
yeah i remember you have it.  I will see how the finances look after i get my chromo hub gears and arp hub studs. Probly gonna get the xrc10 comp version winch too!
97 4runner Limited

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #895 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:20:02 AM »
awesome man!!!!! if you do not get it, I will be purchasing it for my supra, to go turbo!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

pumkin toy [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #896 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:07:32 PM »
awesome man!!!!! if you do not get it, I will be purchasing it for my supra, to go turbo!
are you getting a jdm 7mgte?
97 4runner Limited

pumkin toy [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #897 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:10:45 PM »
Not a whole lot of updates right now guys.  I got an LED light bulb today to replace the light bulb i was using for my e-lock indicator light.  A standard small 12v bulb got so hot it started to melt the plastic housing i had it in!  probly gonna put that in tomorrow.  I'm gonna work on trimming up the rear fenders some more this weekend. I'm planning on starting the bob and dovetail next sunday if everything goes as planned!  I cant wait to jump into that project :king:
97 4runner Limited

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: Feb 11, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »
on those snow wheeling videos at what rpms did the turbo kick in
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

pumkin toy [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #899 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »
on those snow wheeling videos at what rpms did the turbo kick in
honestly i couldnt tell you becaue a tach is not hooked up. I would like to figure out how to make the stock tach work, but i may just end up using an aftermarket one.   It feels to me like it really starts to build boost around 3k-4k.  Thanks for reminding me though, now i wanna try to get a tach hooked up this weekend :thumbs:
97 4runner Limited