Author Topic: 1980 build *2 year update!! HYDRO, Axles, seats and more*  (Read 106393 times)

rcbro

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Re: 1980 build #One big update!#
« Reply #300 on: Oct 25, 2011, 05:46:58 PM »
For those reading my build thread, and for those whom have gone down similar paths as myself I'd like to get some of your advice. I'll be taking my truck apart shortly to begin the full 3rz swap (probably after a few snow runs coming soon)

Since the truck is going to be down, I'd like to address, update and change some things. I'd like to see what you guys would suggest I do to my rig judging by what I've done thus far. I'd like to redo the cage, install 4.7's in the back case (triple sticks) and am deciding if I should get a set of old man emus for the front, or move the hanger and get a set of TG or Allpro springs.

However, I'd like to hear any and all suggestions from you guys with real world experience. Things you've done to your rig etc that you are glad you did and suggest I do.

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:36:49 AM »
Got a spare birfield to get me by for some snow wheeling, ordered a steering box rebuild kit and new leaf spring bushings. So dropped the front suspension yesterday and took the axle apart. The birfield broke pretty dam good. There was crap everywhere.

The housing did get chewed up, but the bearing areas and seal area are in good shape.

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Nov 07, 2011, 07:47:09 AM »
Ouch!

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: Dec 16, 2011, 05:39:09 PM »
Well this month my world kinda turned upside down. My great uncle passed whom was very much a father figure and also the one whom gave me this truck for my first car. I've been busy taking care of things after the death but have had some time to finally get some me time. I always promised him once I got a more faithful motor in the truck I was going to drive it back to his home (about 6 1/2 hour drive) but I never got the chance.

His memorial is this spring and I plan to make it happen for that. He left me some money, so the Toyota is going to get some love in the next couple months.

I've put a budget of around $3K to get what I need to finish the truck. My short condensed list includes

Longfield Axles
Longfield Hub Gears
Longfield Wipers
3 core radiator
2WD oil pan goods for 3rz
Triple Sticks (still deciding on who's to get)
4.7 Gear set for back case
New Cage, more then likely 4xinnovations
Altered Drivelines (again lol)

I'll also be redoing the interior, upgrading the lights and if time allows a paintjob as well.

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #304 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »
very nice.
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
I started to tear into the truck yesterday.

Its so nice having my own shop. Just wish the damn thing had power!! ARGG..

With the help of a friend we finished stripping the knuckles on the axle and pulled the bed off for the tank install. It looks as though the Tacoma tank just might fit.

Once the bed was pulled I noticed the rear slider legs have slightly pushed in the frame and also bent up into the cab from mid slider back.. This will need to be addressed. I'm thinking cutting the legs off, plating the frame and re-installing.

Also stripped the A/C off the motor and gave it a good cleaning. It wasn't bad, but had some green grime from sitting in a field for 3 years.

Also cleaned up my free transmissions. Judging by the Orange Gasket maker, this trans has had work done to it. I have no idea of the condition.

I really don't want to rebuild it, but I don't want to install it just to have to remove it. Anyone have any suggestions??

Also the bottom of the trans case has me worried. I can't tell if its bad castings, or if its crack..

joe510

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
Nice build.  I am also an avid RC crawler and I have purchased some stuff from your store. 

I have so many ideas for my 83 now just by watching your build.

Thanks

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
looks to me like bad casting in the last pic.  i would probly take a grinder to it and sand it down a bit and inspect for cracks.
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
looks to me like bad casting in the last pic.  i would probly take a grinder to it and sand it down a bit and inspect for cracks.

Thanks, I'll grind it down when I get back out to the shop and see what I find. Sounds like I should be good to go.

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Well got the old motor out, dam things been sitting forever and cranked right over and pured like a kitten still. The engine bay needs a good cleaning and fresh paint for sure.

It rained, snowed and was sunny about 15 different times today. Was nice to have a shop to be in. Just wish it had power!!

Also, took a fuse panel from work. I'll be ditching the 3rz panel and putting the relays and some extra wires in this block. Should look good when done.

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
When I went to Longfield I was greeted with a 5th stud kit. So yesterday I cleaned up the axle and took a wire brush to the knuckles for the install. I did the mod on my lunch break today in about 15 minutes. The cast knuckles are extremely easy to drill, I was shocked at how easy it was.

I first tacked the bracket to the high steer arm, then drilled the hole and tightened down the supplied hardware. Then I finished welding the brace and the nut on the inside. Super easy and worth It believe. Bobby told me how to do it, but I cannot recall if he said I need to seal it with some RTV or if it was needed. If only I could remember lol.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Give Bobby a call and ask??
Time to go wheelin!

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
I will once I get to that point.

80firstgem

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Female Posts: 195
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
80 with 3rz...my future inspiration! definitely watching.

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
This is a kick ass build. You sure have a clean truck there. The 3rz should be nice
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

russty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
very nice build. im doing a 83 short bed, with 63" chevy 4x4 rears and mixed yota rears in the front as well. i used the 83 main leaf and switced it into a pack of four out of 89ish yota 4x4. the front is about two inches higher then the rear, we will see how she sets with the motor and tranny. i may have to go back in and add another leaf. but i got more than enough room to clear 35s out of mine. :thumbs:

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

very nice build. im doing a 83 short bed, with 63" chevy 4x4 rears and mixed yota rears in the front as well. i used the 83 main leaf and switced it into a pack of four out of 89ish yota 4x4. the front is about two inches higher then the rear, we will see how she sets with the motor and tranny. i may have to go back in and add another leaf. but i got more than enough room to clear 35s out of mine. :thumbs:

Give it time, they will continue to settle for some time. My fronts were taller then the rears, then flatten out enough I had to install a 2" add a leaf. Now there settling again for the 2nd time. After the motor I forsee myself having to make another ruf pack.

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
hurry up and finsh it

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
LOL. I plan to get more done this weekend. I'm awaiting my machinist to cut me some pieces that will allow me to center my axle in the housing. Not 100% needed, but as I mentioned, I want to do everything right again haha.

So my goal is to get the axle back underneath the truck so I can pull the truck out and wash it. Also plan to pull the case of the trans so I can measure my input bearing for the rebuild kit and hopefully rebuild the steering box and cut the cage out.

russty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
hey thanx for the heads up. i thot they might settle some.

4x4yota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 301
  • Male Posts: 1,256
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
this build just keeps getting better... cant wait to see whats to come... keep up the great work
Current:
85 yota 4x4 http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101931.new#new
Sold:
81 Yota 4x4 - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61025.0

Just remember that if the tires don't rub, then the tires ain't big enough -Runar

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Well it won't stop raining here in Oregon. Here's a picture I took friday after work of the road to my house. The road is entirely covered now, watched a jet boat go play in the water. Pretty wierd considering they were just pulling onions out of this field 2 months ago.

Luckily, there is still a LONG way to my house. Since the wind likes to wrap the rain straight into my shop bays, I have to keep the doors closed. But I found 2 4ft ballast lights in my other shops loft. So I put one up to go with my HF lights to help me see alittle better. Only down side is. When air compressor turns on my breaker pops, so I have to choose what I want the more. Air or Light lol.

Started rebuilding and tapping my box yesterday. Process was pretty straight forward, but I had a youtube video on standby lol

The hardest part was getting the dam nylon washer thingy in between the seal! Pissed me off numerous times.

Then I tapped and plugged the box for future use.

I fubared when putting it back together and had to take it apart. It was my fault for not watching what I was doing. Luckily it turned out better then it could have.

I took the case of the trany to measure the input bearing when I saw some broken gears. :evil::barf:

I'm pretty sure the yota gods are telling me not to use this trany. I just came across a trany thats been rebuilt by a shop with receipts and 20,000 miles for $300. I'm fund is getting lower and lower. But I need it. So I gotta get it.

Since I can't go farther on any of that, and my knuckle alignment tool isn't cut yet (hopefully this week) I decided to drop the cases. Got my redneck block and strap and away she went.

[/IMG]

Then hit it with some super purple cleaning jizzism and the power washer. Walla!

Need to work fix the stupid gauges in my 1:1 and do RC orders, then hopefully get the cases apart.

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
That teflon ring sucks!!!! Looks good bro.
You'll never take me alive

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Picked up my Knuckle alignment tool tonight after work. Now I can finally get that axle back together!

Got some family things to do this weekend, but hope to get the axle back underneath the truck so I can wheel it out for power washing.

FRANKENYOTA91

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 108
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
This truck is awesome. I wish my 83 was that nice. Good work on the truck.
85 toy double extended cab pos wheeler bobby longs, welded front and rear, dual cases
89 4runner sas,  duals, the usual
81 toyota long box project
83 short box project
2001 Cummins 6 speed tow rig

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Love the build, definitely one of the cleanest 1st gen builds I have seen.

The loft in the shop would be nice.  Do you have any pics of the loft?

I totally understand the power issue.  I am super jealous of the shop though.  I don't even have power outlets on the outside of my house.  So I have to run 2 power cords in the window to separate outlets (different breakers) so I can run my welder and see at night in the cold...

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
No pics of the loft, but I'll snap some next time I'm out.

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
Are you going to be running the t-case crossmember in the pic? Any more info on it?

rcbro [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
Are you going to be running the t-case crossmember in the pic? Any more info on it?

I'm hoping to reuse it. I'll snap some pics once I pull the cases off.

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
im pickin up a 3rz for my 83! cant wait