Poll

poll

have
1 (100%)
have not
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: Apr 03, 2010, 12:30:36 PM

Author Topic: KDXSR5s Wyo DD Build: Starting To Come Together.............SLOWLY  (Read 136619 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Some hose clamps, some rubber deals from checker, and some 3 inch PVC

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
looks good what are you doing for a battery box?

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
looks good what are you doing for a battery box?

I am not sure yet. Checker has a plastic box that i think i am going to use. I plan on mounting it on the passenger side in front of the wheel well and running the cables through the bottom of the bed. Cable routing is below

Positive:
Battery to starter
Battery to fuse block

Negative:
Battery to frame
frame to cab
frame to engine block
head to cab
Maybe frame to bed

If you think i need anymore please let me know... I don't want to have any issues with electrical stuff. I am going to be running either 2 or 4 gauge welding cables because I found a spool of both at the tractor store, and it is pretty fine wire and should work for this. I just need to find the type of cable ends i want and then i can get that all hooked up

I still need to route my snorkel setup but that is not going to be necessary to start the truck, so it may not happen right now

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
:thumbs:

Looks good brotha. sounds like you got it all sorted out.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
WELL F@#K A DUCK :bumpinbutts: I HAVE F@#$%&G COOLANT LEAKS

I filled the radiator and I have two leaks... one where the heater hard line connects to the bottom of the lower intake and another one where that short hard line connects to the back of the timing cover on the passenger side. Time to take the whole F@#$%&G thing back apart again :shake:

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Is there enough flex in the intake for when the motor rocks under acceleration?  It doesn't look like enough flexible tubing to me.  (From AFM to TPS!)  :headscratch:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Is there enough flex in the intake for when the motor rocks under acceleration?  It doesn't look like enough flexible tubing to me.  (From AFM to TPS!)  :headscratch:

If not I will do something else. We will see how it works out.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I bought some tires for the ford, $20 for two of them, so I will have the BFGs for my truck hopefully tomorrow. I also started taking stuff apart to fix my two coolant leaks

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
update... I think i have one out of my two coolant leaks fixed. I did the easy one on the back of the timing cover. I am now going to go try to fix the other coolant leak that is up under the lower intake without removing the intake. I have to pull a few hoses and wires and such off, but I think it will be worth not having to take the intake off again.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, so I had one bolt in holding the pipe to the bottom of the lower intake, and I started tightening the other one down. And then it snapped. :tantrum: I guess I am really f@#$ed now. :shake: I don't even want to look at the stupid POS now. I am going to go for a nice long bike ride possibly into a wall :wall:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I took a couple pics to show whats up. First pic you can see the broken off bolt. I circled it in yellow. Second pic shows how much of a pain in the ass it is to get to where the bolt is (circled in yellow). I am laying on the ground, reaching up around the diff/axle/driveshaft trying to get this dang thing out. I had to remove the oil filter, the starter, and take apart the fuel filter and fuel filter bracket just to get up in there. I had the thing completely done and sealed up when the bolt snapped. What a pregnant dog.

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
oh man sucky well their goes your plain to keep the intake on

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I guess so... I am going to try and find a drill that will fit up in there, but I doubt I will find one

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
damn todd that sucks. sorry man.

but just think of how good you're going to be at this when you're done. :gap:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
dude, that efi intake has got to come off,  :down:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
dude, that efi intake has got to come off,  :down:

Not if I can help it

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I found a drill that will fit up in there and I found a 1/16 reverse cut drill bit. Lets hope for the best :gap:

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
That sucks.  I started to use the factory bolts when I was putting all the brackets and such on, until I was stretching some bolts.  Using a torque wrench, on the water line on the other side of the motor, where it bolts to the water pump/timing cover.  At 12 ft.lbs the bolt stretched.  :o  And then I replaced all the bolts with new ones.  Got to remember that these are all over 25 years old, and they have metal fatigue just from age.  I just didn't want to get into a spot that you are now in.  Good luck!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
:woohoo: I got that broken bolt out without pulling the intake. I used my friends really small drill he got at walmart and drilled a pilot hole with the reverse cut bit, then used a small easy out. Worked like a charm. :woohoo:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
Good work, i would have pulled the intake off because i thought that would be impossible... I pulled the intake off many a time when i first put my engine in.

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: KDXSR5s Wyo DD Build. Yup its still here.
« Reply #264 on: Sep 26, 2008, 07:51:26 PM »
Well I haven't been on in a while. Time for a little update. I put the engine back together after fixing that broken bolt situation and no more leaks. Bled the clutch. I then routed my battery cables and such and tried starting it wednesday night. It shot fuel all over out of the rear injector. Off comes the upper intake and fuel rail and a new o-ring goes in. Put it all back together. Try to start it again. Gas shoots everywhere. Cyl 3 injector leaking. Take upper intake off and fuel rail off and call it a night.
Next day I went to checker and bought 4 injector seal kits that come with the 4 seals needed for each injector. Installed those, put intake back on and fired it up. It ran for about 3 minutes then died. Started it back up and got it to run well enough to break in the cam at 1800ish rpm for 20 minutes. Turned it off and started dicking with distributor. Found it it was a tooth off and the engine was running (terribly) at some crazy number like -20 degrees timing. Put it back in on the correct tooth and set timing to 5 degrees. Starts fine and runs perfect now. Called it a night. The oil pressure is a little on the low side. New radiator seems to work really well.
Today I try to pull it out of the garage only to find out the clutch doesn't work. Oh well, at least it runs. So I had a friend come over and we towed it to the schools auto shop. My power steering is going out too. Something is wrong with it and it was going out before the engine swap. I think I will replace all the mystery fluid with some new atf and see if it changes it at all. So currently it is still sitting in pieces at the schools auto shop waiting for me to finish it up next week. Hopefully the clutch is just really out of adjustment. Update out.

Any ideas/constructive comments will be appreciated.

I would like to thank Glen, Rex, Mini, and Josh for their help in getting the truck out of the garage. You guys helped a bunch both with information and motivation boosting. Thanks! :thumbs:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #265 on: Sep 26, 2008, 08:06:58 PM »
:adoration:   now we need  offroadin pics
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Sep 26, 2008, 08:44:51 PM »
Are you gettin' excited yet?  :disturbed:

At this rate you'll have it on the road before I finish fixin' the runner...  :yesnod:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
« Reply #267 on: Sep 26, 2008, 09:03:03 PM »
ok since todd left i'll update he's been working his :moon: off it's running!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!! :woohoo: he took it down to his auto class to finish all the little details as soon as it started running the PS pump took a crap so he's gonna try and use the 90 pump. soo thats about it if i get pics they will go up here well i'll see ya all later :wave:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Sep 26, 2008, 09:31:22 PM »
:adoration:   now we need  offroadin pics

Thanks for the help Glen. You have been a great inspiration for me with your truck. Its just amazing. If you can do that with your current physical situation then I figure I should be able to do anything. Hopefully offroad pics will come before the snow comes.

Are you gettin' excited yet?  :disturbed:

At this rate you'll have it on the road before I finish fixin' the runner...  :yesnod:

I will be really excited once I can drive it! I want to see the runner when you get done with it. If its anything like the old landcruiser it will be really cool.

ok since todd left i'll update he's been working his :moon: off it's running!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!! :woohoo: he took it down to his auto class to finish all the little details as soon as it started running the PS pump took a crap so he's gonna try and use the 90 pump. soo thats about it if i get pics they will go up here well i'll see ya all later :wave:

I will try changing the fluid first and bleeding the system really well before I look into a pump swap, but if worse comes to worse I always have the 90 pump and I may still have the 88 pump up in the shed. :crossed:
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2010, 10:28:32 PM by KDXSR5 »

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #269 on: Sep 27, 2008, 08:24:23 AM »
:hyper:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly