Poll

poll

have
1 (100%)
have not
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: Apr 03, 2010, 12:30:36 PM

Author Topic: KDXSR5s Wyo DD Build: Starting To Come Together.............SLOWLY  (Read 136914 times)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Todd,   i have  edited  your pic  to show you the oil galleys in the block

where the arrows are,  are allen head plugs  that you should remove, then run a rifle brush thru the galley  to make sure all the gunk  and  sludge has been removed,  ive seen engines  hot tanked  and still havethe galley plugged

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Todd,   i have  edited  your pic  to show you the oil galleys in the block

where the arrows are,  are allen head plugs  that you should remove, then run a rifle brush thru the galley  to make sure all the gunk  and  sludge has been removed,  ive seen engines  hot tanked  and still havethe galley plugged

Thanks for the heads up! I already removed the three oil galley plugs and ran rifle brushes thru them. I have washed the block a total of 5 times after machining, I wanted it CLEAN! They don't even hot tank blocks here anymore, the just put them in an oven for a day and burn off everything. I also wire wheeled the whole block to get rid of old paint and rust before painting. The block has 2 light coats followed by one medium/heavy coat and then one more light coat added a day later. I hope I did it right. :crossed:

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Soo... I'll just drop off my spare 22RE, and you can call me when you're done with it...

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Soo... I'll just drop off my spare 22RE, and you can call me when you're done with it...

haha, riiiigghhhttt....
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2010, 03:48:13 PM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
NEW TRUCK!!! I bought this from a guy for $600, I was gonna get it for $500, but my dad messed it up. So I ended up paying $600 (he wanted $700). 1990 base model. It has a rebuilt transmission with 6000 miles on it, but the engine block is cracked. It also had a bad wobble when we towed it home, I am thinking rotors. This will end up being my new DD using the motor thats currently in the 85. The shell is going to be sold, its worth like $300. The 85 got a pic too, cuz it felt left out.

« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2008, 08:20:45 PM by KDXSR5 »

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
 o o o o o o new truck even comes in a kit   i love new things that come in a kit  putting stuff 2geather is fun
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
looks  dang  good  Todd :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
looks  dang  good  Todd :thumbs:

Thanks! It has a messed up bed mount and a dent in the frame, but other than that its solid. I am going to take the bed off and clean the frame up back there and paint it. I will also fix up the rust in the bed and paint it sometime, and fix the dents in the fender and other dents. It also needs a new CV, the boot is ripped on one of them.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
...using the motor thats currently in the 85..
So what are you doing with the 85 then?

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
So what are you doing with the 85 then?

It is getting the motor that I am building. OK, let me tell a story. I bought the 85 with a bad motor and it came with a rolled 88 with a good motor. So the 88 motor went into the 85, and the 85 motor is getting rebuilt. The 88 motor will be pulled out of the 85 and put into the 90. The rebuilt 85 motor will go back into the 85. I hope that makes sense.

I am not sure what else I am planning on doing with the 85 now... its gonna be my trail truck eventually.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
Cool projects bud!  :beerchug:  Just read yer thread!  Looks like yer doing ok to me.  :yupyup:  So what if it's slow, at least you're doing things the right way.  :thumbs:  Keep up the great work!  8)

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
You now officially have the toyota disease.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
You now officially have the toyota disease.

:yesnod: :yupyup: I just can't pass up a good Toyota deal!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
:yesnod: :yupyup: I just can't pass up a good Toyota deal!
:sick: Be careful!  You might end up with like five trucks to get all the parts you want and end up parting them out just because.... :gap: Yeah, ask me how I know.  :_oops:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, I got what was left of the engine out today without the use of an engine hoist. You would be amazed what a jack, some ratchet straps, bricks, a prybar, and a lot of determination can do. I got it all ready to be pulled in 1 hour, and spent 1.5 hours actually getting it out. I ended up calling 3 friends over to assist me in removing it. Together we lifted it out. I also think that the previous owner's assumption that the block is cracked is incorrect. I think maybe the timing chain wore thru the timing cover letting oil mix with the water. Sorry for the crappy pics.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
In the process of removing the engine, I decided to remove all the front end as you can see from my above post. In the process I found out the frame was bent. This is why the cab is offset from the bed by about half an inch. The pics will explain it all (I hope). I will get the frame straightened eventually.

Looking from the front; notice how the stuff on the left in the pic is all bent and twisted:

looking from the passenger side towards the front; notice how the front crossmember is bent:

Look how gnarly the subframe deal is here:

Here is the passenger side radiator support mount followed by two of the 4 cab mounts to show why the cab is crooked:

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2008, 07:03:05 AM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
On with the 85 stuff; I got the short block done. Here are some pics:

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2008, 09:01:34 PM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, I have edited an above photo on stuff I believe needs to be done for this truck to be ready to go back together structural wise. The pinkish color is pulling that corner of the frame out to straighten it. The green surrounds the portion of the subframe/front clip that is damaged and probably should be replaced. I will get a quote on the subframe/front clip from the collision repair center when I get the frame straightened. Is this what you were talking about replacing Glen?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
..... I will get a quote on the subframe/front clip from the collision repair center when I get the frame straightened. Is this what you were talking about replacing Glen
:yesnod:

although  i would  find a  donor truck  maybe  that has the rear of the cab smashed,  cut it in the same area  but  i would cut it like this

and this

then unbolt the  body mounts  under the radiator support  and  remove the entire front clip  in one  chunk,  replace the same way

i think when you remove that part  the  rear  part of the cab will shft back where it SHOULD be
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2008, 08:37:53 AM by 79coyotefrg »

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
there should be spot welds holding the core support to this piece of metal that my arrows point at.... just find all them and drill them out and the core support should come off the cab.... I cant really look at mine to be exactly sure where they are since I cut mine off already :_oops2: hope this helps you

Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Is this stock? I have never seen a toy leaf as thick as the bottom spring, and I have never seen that type of spring clamp deal on springs before.

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
thats OE I have the same thing on mine not sure why its like that but it does what it does.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2010, 04:00:34 PM by KDXSR5 »

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
ok, no progress, cuz I got snow!!!!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, update time. I worked on the 90 today. The bed is all bondo. The frame is officially shot, I found yet another bend in it. That makes like 8 bends and at least 1 crack. It needs a front clip. I have decided if I cannot find a good frame for it, I am just going to part it out.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
i would grab another frame  and  put the cab on the new frame, then  strip whats good off the crappy frame  and  put it away for safe keeping(spare parts)  then haul the rest to the scrap yard

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
I know where to get a new frame and body umm well its a 4runner but it has a good front clip i think about $300 maby $200 let me know.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I know where to get a new frame and body umm well its a 4runner but it has a good front clip i think about $300 maby $200 let me know.

What year?

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
94 It's ok the rear quarters are all smashed up and no doors its mostly a shell and frame