Author Topic: the wookie mobile build-up  (Read 47891 times)

baldwookie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Feb '06
  • one of these days ill be big like u guys/gals
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
the wookie mobile build-up
« on: Oct 11, 2007, 12:42:34 AM »
finally gonna start a thread the build up of the wookie-mobile... thnx to glen for finding this rig for me..
to do list
1) fix brakes... new mc, fj rotors/calipers,new brake lines, get rid of the lspv, add in a manual one
2) rebuild knuckles/axles seals/maybe wheel berings
3) mount seats better... they came loose on me during the ar-ttora meet-n-greet... skeery hardly any brakes an my seat flopping back an forth
4) im happy with the height for now.... 3" body lift, and 33's.. til i get into more wheeling....thought about emu springs...
5) adding p.s. would be a good thing also, maybe a hysteer
6) aussie locker in the back
7) dual cases

pics coming as soon as i resize em

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2007, 10:19:11 AM by baldwookie »
1980 lwb sr5  stock

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
Re: the wookie mobile build-up
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2007, 01:09:00 AM »
Good luck with it.  Hope it works well for you  :thumbs:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2007, 11:59:37 AM »
you could use the  parts from your 86 truck,  the  rear axle,  the steering box,  lots of good stuff there

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007, 04:55:12 PM by 79coyotefrg »
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

baldwookie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2007, 08:57:54 PM »
of course no progress yet, im too indecisive... ive got a 3 in body lift that came on  the truck.. im happy with the height as is .. anything i can do to help the articulation.. disconnect swaybar... this is a dd that make it skeery to drive?
was looking thru some spring options, emu springs pretty flexy?   good ride?  dont want to go too high, but might eventually go with 35's,  or should i just add some shackles.. stick with stock springs? any ideas ? thnx
1980 lwb sr5  stock

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
Cool, another Arkie build thread :willynilly:

Remove the sway bar and drive it. If it's too soft for you, then you can bolt it back on, and get some quick disconnects for the trail.

As for springs, you can make a hybrid leaf pack. Use leaves from a F150 rear pack. Glen can tell you all about them.

For the ultimate lift on a budget, and good flex too, you could run 63" chevy springs in the rear (requires relocated hangers), and move your stock rears up front (called RUF). You could do that for probably less than $100 if you're good at junkyarding for springs, and can find hangers online cheap. One thing about RUF: you'll need that IFS steering box, and a highsteer kit, because it moves your axle too far forward for the stock push/pull steering.

Oh, and holler if you need any help, I'm in Little Rock. :biggthumpup:
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2007, 12:03:31 PM »
of course no progress yet, im too indecisive... ive got a 3 in body lift that came on  the truck.. im happy with the height as is .. anything i can do to help the articulation.. disconnect swaybar... this is a dd that make it skeery to drive?
was looking thru some spring options, emu springs pretty flexy?   good ride?  dont want to go too high, but might eventually go with 35's,  or should i just add some shackles.. stick with stock springs? any ideas ? thnx
you already have some really long shackles on that  truck,  too long  for the front if you ask me

the front springs  are bone stock   so they dont flex  much at all

when you finally go hysteer  i can  show you or  build you some front springs    out of some rears,    no problem at all 

i am going to  put F150 rears  on the "new" truck,  they are almost the same length as Marlin rear springs  so i know they will flex great,  we can do the same on your truck

dont worry about removing the sway bar  it  doesnt do that much

just dont try to take curves  over the posted speed limit
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

baldwookie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2007, 10:11:09 AM »
finally ordered some parts... knuckle rebuild, new master cylinder an some braided brake lines.... ive got quite a few things gathered up to put on the truck... radio,cb, new seat brackets... just getting out there to put it all together .
1980 lwb sr5  stock

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2007, 01:31:54 PM »
i thought you ordered the master cyl a week ago ???

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2007, 01:37:43 PM »
:whip:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Yoat Goat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 37
  • Male Posts: 731
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Someday my truck will look like this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2007, 06:12:04 PM »
 :inthedark:  :flamer:
T urning
O ver after
Y ears
O f
T rail
A buse

baldwookie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2007, 08:47:41 PM »
i did missed the ups guy today... working 2nd shift sucks he comes like between 2-5 grrrr
1980 lwb sr5  stock

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2007, 09:52:23 AM »
that sucks

baldwookie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2007, 04:32:34 AM »
well little bit of progress, glen showed me how to put some of the stuff on my truck... mc is on,half the knuckle rebuild is done (i forgot grease)   uggg
power steering box is on, still cleaning up the pump and reservoir
and of course we forgot the camera.. im gonna blame that on glen,  it was too far for me to drive home to get mine :PP
1980 lwb sr5  stock

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2007, 09:23:21 AM »
im gonna blame that on glen,  it was too far for me to drive home to get mine :PP
:bat:  yea  well  :shake:

i can take a pic of the empty boxes  :dunno:

eric hohlfelder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2007, 01:21:35 PM »
Keep an eye on my thread "85 4Runner low lift high flex" for some more ideas.  I liked the aussie locker in the rear.  Just swapped out for a detroit.  I ran the 4.30 differentials out of an Automatic 4cyl truck and it helped with the 33's.  I have this set now out, the 4cly diff needs a rebuild bearings at least, but the other was a V6 E-locker diff 4.30's as well, out of a 98 4runner rear that I installed in the front axle.  This worked great for me.   $400 the elocker setup if your interested.  I've sold the Aussie that was in the 4cyl diff.  Just some thoughts.  I've heard decent things about the OME springs and considered them as well.  The Downey 3" setup has served me well.  I've wheeled it for 5 years with them and highway/DD ride is OK, just sagging a bid with the weight of mine. 

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2007, 06:04:53 PM »
:headscratch:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2007, 10:24:25 AM »
:sofa:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2007, 10:26:48 AM »

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2008, 02:38:22 PM »
hay kevin

what drive shaft do you have on the TACO

1 or 2 pice

i got a guy that has a 2 pice on a manual tranny   and he needs a new shaft    he just put on 63" chevy

and the local shops around here wana rape him for 800$ +   :moon:

He needs options   somthing about that size shaft is a oddball     his u-joint halfs are worn out 2
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2008, 03:13:57 PM »
Joe,  the  63's  have to have new hangers welded to the frame,  have him  mount them  so the shaft is the same  ie  not moving the axle forward or back

baldwookie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:29:16 AM »
ok income tax time is almost here ... for me i mean get a check back yay
so been thinking,   opinions needed...
1)  should i just replace stock calipers or buy ifs rotors,calipers,  an spacers?
2)  wanting to try an get me one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Pickup-20R-22R-Weber-Carburetor-Conversion-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33550QQihZ005QQitemZ150212160701#ebayphotohosting
3)  also looking at these.. id have to fab up some brackets..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blue-BOMZ-Racing-Seat-Scion-XA-XB-TC-Matrix-MR-2-RAV4_W0QQitemZ370022671288QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370022671288
4)  fresh rattle can paint job.. im a cheapo
5)  new rubber, my tires just about bald... its a dd so want to get some decent amount of life out of em.. 3" body lift.. think i have room to upgrade to 35's( big as i plan on going)
6)  want to get hysteer,  but gonna wait til i save up to get the lift from marlin or all-pro,  just gotta decide 4" or 5".. was thinking of gettin a 3" downey lift,  if i dont like em at least id have some spring packs to possibly do a ruf
7)  if money permits,  might look at getting an aussie.... 
 goal is to try an get this ready to do some wheelin by summer... do most of this in spring .. too cold for me right now to work
1980 lwb sr5  stock

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:41:56 AM »
I would defenitly get rubbers ive seen open diff's do better then locked rigs just because they had better tires. and i would personally get an aussie over some of the other things you listed, they are about 259$ shipped.. I would hold off on painting the thing merely because youd be happier with an ugly capable rig rather then a bling bling rig that performs poorly on the trail...  if your rig is running good then I would hold off on the carb (not sure on the price) but it seems like you could get your seats and an aussie for the price of the carb. also im not totally sure but I think maybe you could use celica seats, which just means you would have to fabricate some brackets.....
_[O!!!!!O]_

People often ask how they stack crap so tall....

baldwookie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:47:30 AM »
ty...
yeah ive looked at the celica seats,   but im not very salvage yard savvy.. i end up getting mad... when they want a arm and a leg... and if i do find em.. usually when i dont have the cash to get em.. just my luck
that carb is 279.   ive got some buckets that came in the truck...  only thing i dont like about em or id just keep em is they dont have much room,  in the tilt dept.
1980 lwb sr5  stock

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:51:32 AM »
I bought a pair of celi seats at the junkyard...they were in perfect condition from a 93...

I didnt think they were very comfy so i put my ragged stock bench back in...dunno if that helps
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

baldwookie [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:58:30 AM »
thnx collier,
id put a bench in it,  but i like having the center console.. to catch all my junk... ie.. cupholders,change
1980 lwb sr5  stock

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »
Kevin,  heres what I would do

wait on hysteer, 

get tires,  bfg's  since you daily drive it,

ifs calipers  and  the fj60 rotors from Marlin

4 inch springs  from either  Marlin or Allpro,

i'll go with ya to the salvage yard  and find seats  or  come down and we will build some REAL brackets so they dont flop around

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:17:30 AM »
that weber  is a VERY good idea,  since your carb is  messed up

but remember you gotta buy some gears,  i can install them for ya

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:23:36 AM »
Ive heard alot of people complain that its hard to tune webers in tho glen?
_[O!!!!!O]_

People often ask how they stack crap so tall....

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:27:22 AM »
woohooo
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:29:16 AM »
Ive heard alot of people complain that its hard to tune webers in tho glen?
not when your "weber wise"  like me :disturbed: