Author Topic: Jeep vs. Toyota  (Read 69506 times)

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep vs. Toyota
« Reply #270 on: May 23, 2006, 03:09:29 PM »
i traded a 500 dollar 72 cj5 for my 90 4runner with a bad motor, who do u think came out ahead?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 23, 2006, 04:07:09 PM »
oooh, she'll hurt ya for that, Jason!! :greengrin:
:psss:  I don't think she's seen it :dunno:  I might be safe :crossed: :sofa:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 23, 2006, 05:22:19 PM »
:psss:  I don't think she's seen it :dunno:  I might be safe :crossed: :sofa:

:psss: I just reported you to the moderator...umm...FCC.   :yupyup:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 23, 2006, 05:29:44 PM »
The only thing that I think everyone will agree on is that Jeeps and Toys are better than Isuzu Amigos, Right FFC?  :hammerhead:  :hahaha:

:yesnod:

:rofl2:

:popcorn:

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #274 on: May 23, 2006, 06:21:30 PM »
it doesn't mater what you start with, you strip it all out anyway..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 24, 2006, 12:31:00 AM »
Not me man, not yet atleast.  508,000 miles on mostly all toyota parts, no lift or nuffin.  Sure, I'm stock pilin my marlin parts, but there are a few essentials missin before the poo hits the fan......man

Long long ago I wanted a cj5, but my dad talked me out of it with a couple good reasons, one being they're crude.  I didn't fully grasp it at the time, but that coupled with the dependability steered me away.  He also talked me out of toyotas, but for no other reason than how expensive they were to buy.  This is back in 92/93 mind you, so the last first gen was still only about 10 years old, and were still getting a premium.  I settled for an 84 nissan 4by, which did serve me well and was dependable, but had NO ground clearance or power.  Couldn't stand the way the front end wallowed through turns either, that's where my disdain for ifs first sprouted.

Thanks dad, but look what you've started 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #276 on: May 24, 2006, 02:09:16 AM »
:psss: I just reported you to the moderator...umm...FCC.   :yupyup:

Thank you Blackdiamond :ladys-man: for the heads up... I shoulda guessed either BD or Rs would say something down those lines :laugh: Jason knows my rig is tight :yupyup: he just won't admit it :gap:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #277 on: May 24, 2006, 09:44:50 AM »
Thank you Blackdiamond :ladys-man: for the heads up... I shoulda guessed either BD or Rs would say something down those lines :laugh: Jason knows my rig is tight :yupyup: he just won't admit it :gap:

How'd I get drug into this, I like Isuzu's, they are much better than a Jeep. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #278 on: May 24, 2006, 11:29:37 AM »
How'd I get drug into this, I like Isuzu's, they are much better than a Jeep. :gap:

Cuz usually it's either you or BD :greengrin: so I wasn't surprised when it was one of you :gap:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

82toyotakid

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 117
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 24, 2006, 01:01:47 PM »
read the very first post all though i like toyotas the most i cant hate on others because of its make if its a good rig i give that person respect no matter if its nice or a project in the working people at school dont deserve respect ( most of them) because they talk crap about toyotas being a piec of S*&t and it bugs me but im over it now TOYOTA POWER!!! lol

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 24, 2006, 01:20:11 PM »
I do not understand this Jeep Vs Toyota thing or any of the battle of the brands.

Some of you Toyota people make me laugh I have read your posts it seems allot of you don't have much for Jeeps, you call them heeps so then why are some of you guys and gals using a 80ish Jeep Wagoner  axel on your 96 + Toyota? If you are going to go through all that trouble to do a SAS to have a jeep axel under your rig why not just buy a Jeep?

Psst,  Dana/Spicer makes that front axle.  Not Jeep, and it's a good thing.  Look how the model 20 rear came out.  Do you like having your tire pass you?
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #281 on: May 24, 2006, 08:48:48 PM »
well you can't compare a 53 jeep to an 85 toyota, year for year they are both built well and honestly you'd have a hard time convincing me EITHER is better - but they excell in different areas stock and once built up it doesn't matter what you start with..

I'd take a Rubicon TJ over a yota anyday though. Don't get me wrong, I love yotas cause I can't afford that jeep..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

RockSlayer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 176
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Jan '06
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
« Reply #282 on: May 31, 2006, 02:02:33 PM »
:yesnod: Maybe y'all need to realize is that 90% of the off- road vehicles were created from inspiration from the "Bantam / Willy's / Ford"  quarter ton trucks from WWII.  :yupyup: And we all know that those were the first mobile conveyance called "Jeeps". :beerchug:  :acclaim:

:headscratch: When did Toyota start making 4x4 trucks?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 31, 2006, 02:07:23 PM »
I've got nothin' against Jeeps...just too small for me.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 31, 2006, 02:31:31 PM »
:psss: that's why our Willys is 25" longer then original. :yesnod: and, of course, uses mostly toyota parts :hahaha:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 31, 2006, 02:42:49 PM »
:psss: that's why our Willys is 25" longer then original. :yesnod: and, of course, uses mostly toyota parts :hahaha:

I sat in an old one, probably CJ5 era, and my knee hung out the drivers door! Definitely wouldn'twork in the rocks.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #286 on: May 31, 2006, 05:28:49 PM »
:yesnod: Maybe y'all need to realize is that 90% of the off- road vehicles were created from inspiration from the "Bantam / Willy's / Ford"  quarter ton trucks from WWII.  :yupyup: And we all know that those were the first mobile conveyance called "Jeeps". :beerchug:  :acclaim:

The 1st Land Cruiser's were in 1950 don't know of anything earlier. I believe Suzuki was into it even earlier.

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 31, 2006, 05:42:41 PM »
Jeep or Willys Overland came out in 1943 If I recall.

Who made the first 4x4? Anybody watch the history chanel?

:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #288 on: May 31, 2006, 06:08:13 PM »
FFC gonna like this answer.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #289 on: May 31, 2006, 06:09:56 PM »
....Mr. Livingood, put his invention on a Ford.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 31, 2006, 06:57:51 PM »

Look back through the thread a bit, a bubble may be burst :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #291 on: May 31, 2006, 11:34:10 PM »
FFC gonna like this answer.

:yesnod: I already know'd it... my mamma's got one of dem der Ford Jeeps :yupyup:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #292 on: Jun 01, 2006, 11:12:11 AM »
:yesnod: I already know'd it... my mamma's got one of dem der Ford Jeeps :yupyup:

She's got one of these, wow it sure must be worth a fortune. :greengrin:

Truth be known, that was the 1st US 4x4 sas conversion :rofl:

Now for where the 1st in the world we'd have to go across the pond to the old country to someone not known for making 4x4's but is better known for sporty little cars Porcshe. Though even that is questionable.
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2006, 11:18:16 AM by Rocksurfer »

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: Jun 01, 2006, 01:27:21 PM »
Alright I get a kick out of this forum.  Some of you compare apples to oranges and some of you have done a pretty good job of showing both sides of the spectrum.  But who really cares what it is if it works for what you want to do with it.  That being said if you want to avoid the most headache there are better years by both auto makers.  I am a big fan of the CJs,  I have a 51 CJ3A,  untill last summer it was extremely under maintained, and completely stock, never having been in a shop.  Wheeled all over the place and did very well.  Who can dispute a rig that wheeled for over 50 years nearly trouble free.  The old land cruisers had something to be admired also, even into the eighties.  Jeep put out some pretty flimsy rigs here and there, but now with the rubi what does yota have that can compete out of the box.  The land cruiser,  nice lookin, nice price for a doctor,  extreme offroading naahhh.  Its like calling an H2 a rock crawler.  To everyone may you drive what ya love,  and love what ya drive.   :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #294 on: Jun 01, 2006, 01:36:29 PM »
Alright I get a kick out of this forum.  Some of you compare apples to oranges and some of you have done a pretty good job of showing both sides of the spectrum.  But who really cares what it is if it works for what you want to do with it.  That being said if you want to avoid the most headache there are better years by both auto makers.  I am a big fan of the CJs,  I have a 51 CJ3A,  untill last summer it was extremely under maintained, and completely stock, never having been in a shop.  Wheeled all over the place and did very well.  Who can dispute a rig that wheeled for over 50 years nearly trouble free.  The old land cruisers had something to be admired also, even into the eighties.  Jeep put out some pretty flimsy rigs here and there, but now with the rubi what does yota have that can compete out of the box.  The land cruiser,  nice lookin, nice price for a doctor,  extreme offroading naahhh.  Its like calling an H2 a rock crawler.  To everyone may you drive what ya love,  and love what ya drive.   :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

You've got a point there, Rubicon is a nice rig out of the box, not perfect but a good starting point. Still it will cost you a bag full of money to get one and then it is just a starting point. Break out a bunch more money to make it a real rockcrawler.

I think this thread is refering to people that are not going to go out and purchase a $45,000.00 dollar rig and put another $5,000.00 into it, voiding the warranty. I looked at the Rubicon, very nice but it would be several years before I'd want to really wheel it. A couple of my club members bought them and have poured gobs of aftermarket $ into them to make them trully trail worthy.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: Jun 01, 2006, 04:29:16 PM »
You've got a point there, Rubicon is a nice rig out of the box, not perfect but a good starting point. Still it will cost you a bag full of money to get one and then it is just a starting point. Break out a bunch more money to make it a real rockcrawler.

I think this thread is refering to people that are not going to go out and purchase a $45,000.00 dollar rig and put another $5,000.00 into it, voiding the warranty. I looked at the Rubicon, very nice but it would be several years before I'd want to really wheel it. A couple of my club members bought them and have poured gobs of aftermarket $ into them to make them trully trail worthy.

Jeep will warranty up to a 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires.  You can go a lot of places with 33's, 4.0 gears, lockers, etc...

Granted it isn't a cheap rig, but it would be a great Daily Driver and could wheel the majority of difficult, not extreme, trails.

I'm not sure building a late model Toyota truck or 4Runner would be much cheaper.  :dunno:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #296 on: Jun 01, 2006, 09:46:08 PM »
She's got one of these, wow it sure must be worth a fortune. :greengrin:

Truth be known, that was the 1st US 4x4 sas conversion :rofl:

Now for where the 1st in the world we'd have to go across the pond to the old country to someone not known for making 4x4's but is better known for sporty little cars Porcshe. Though even that is questionable.

Naw hers looks like a jeep :gap: It's an early 40's.... From what I've discovered it's a Ford Jeep :disturbed:

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: Jun 01, 2006, 10:03:13 PM »

Alright,  your right its not cheap,  but its not 45000 either,  you can get one loaded with all jeep has to offer for around 30,000.  you may want to lift it and put tires on it but even stock it wheels 10 times better than the new four runner,  they are a joke when it comes to offroading, might as well take a ford escape.  Dont see many on the trails these days.  And while most companies are working towards accomidating the soccer mom, every year jeep comes out with improvements to make it more capable outof the box. 
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #298 on: Jun 01, 2006, 10:08:56 PM »
:shake: This thread shouldn't be here.... like ya'll have said a million times before, it's like comparing apples to oranges.  Some people like the sweentess of a red delicious, others like the tartness of an orange... so what.  It's a never ending argument.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Jun 01, 2006, 10:23:55 PM »
:nope: Toyotas are better. End of story. k. :nope:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco