Author Topic: Jeep vs. Toyota  (Read 69509 times)

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Jeep vs. Toyota
« Reply #60 on: Sep 09, 2005, 09:23:53 PM »
I actually think that Jeep Cherokees that are well built are probably the sweetest looking trucks on the trails.

Here i have to disagree.  I mean, 6-8 inches just to clear 31-32"s...come on!  A buddy of mine has 8 inches and BARELY clears 32s.  The only well-built Cherokee I've seen is the one the Rubicon Sheriff has, and we all know who paid for that.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #61 on: Sep 09, 2005, 09:25:16 PM »
Here i have to disagree.  I mean, 6-8 inches just to clear 31-32"s...come on!  A buddy of mine has 8 inches and BARELY clears 32s.  The only well-built Cherokee I've seen is the one the Rubicon Sheriff has, and we all know who paid for that.

I totally agree.  It takes a sh** load of work for one of them things to be a good trail rig.  They may look sweet, but that ain't enough for the greens it takes and the work.  :screwy:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,403
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THROW SOME DEES ON THAT B1TCH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sep 10, 2005, 03:02:13 AM »
Here i have to disagree. I mean, 6-8 inches just to clear 31-32"s...come on! A buddy of mine has 8 inches and BARELY clears 32s. The only well-built Cherokee I've seen is the one the Rubicon Sheriff has, and we all know who paid for that.
well at the toyota jambo in april at the hammers one of our buddys was rollin a grand cherokee with 60's front and rear on 38 inch boggers and that thing was bad as fu(k!!! strong as hell too.I think that there is no use trying to compare the two rigs (Jeep & toyota) both types are strong and very wheelable with the right set up,sure it's a littlecheaper to build a yota but I see no reason to compare the two,it's all on the driver and then way it's set up. just my  :twocents: 
***ROCK BRAWLERS~Southern Cali***
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

'85 Toy, 42's and a body lift!

ROCK IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Sep 10, 2005, 08:01:03 AM »
decent tranny(very simular to RF151) and tcase(pretty good with SYE and 2.72 low range)

If you like autos their autos are not POS

kinda inexpensivee to get a low krawl ratio

The ax15 is a jeep spec r150f

The auto used in xj's (AW4) is just a jeep spec A340 yota trans

Kinda inexpensive?  The cheapest Ive heard of for 4:1 gears for a 231 is $780 I dont consider that sorta cheap.  When you want duals its $330 for the mco7, $100ish for a t-case and about $200 for a new rear driveline.  The front just go square shaft for under $50.  Granted its not all that much cheaper but its far more capable and you wont burn up a set of low range gears trying to run down the trail in lowrange in 4th gear spinning the poor t-case planetaries at 12000 rpm. ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #64 on: Sep 10, 2005, 08:05:07 AM »
I'll tell ya what that tranny in my XJ was :pokinit:.  The 4.0L was strong but the tranny was rough
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #65 on: Sep 10, 2005, 08:58:43 AM »
Definition.....

Jeep...........A small, durable, general-purpose motor vehicle with four-wheel drive and a quarter-ton capacity, used by the U.S. Army during and after World War .......a car suitable for traveling over rough terrain

Toyota........A city of south-central Honshu, Japan, east-southeast of Nagoya. It is an industrial center. Population: 341,453.

I love jeeps and every thing about them except the price.  Jeeps are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain at least here in WA.
If I had to choose one it would be jeep. 

But I got a yota cause it was a good price honestly these things are bullet proofas long as you do regular maintenance they run for ever.  My girl friend has a cj-7 and I would say i enjoy driving it more than the yota.  It just feels like every deminsion was designed perfect for offroading.  But hey there both cool rigs and any thing you wheel will eventualy have problems,  Its all in what you like to look at sitting in your driveway,  or in my case what you can afford.       

Just my   :twocents:

yotabj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • MAD FLEX YO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sep 10, 2005, 07:10:57 PM »
All the(capable) jeeps I ever see has nothing left thats a jeep other than the steering wheel.......
everything else is Chevy,dodge,or ford...their front ends cost more than my whole truck and I go wherever they can go..my opinion is Toyota is the most capable stock for stock or modified to modified and cost alot less
'84  Truggy EFI swap ,5.29's Detroit,welded,Dual Ultimate Cases,22re,3 in. downey,4 in.Marlin Front springs on back  114 wb ,39.5 Rockers,30 Spline Longs

TrackVino

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 1,038
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Rocking and Rollin with Marlin!!!
    • View Profile
    • DCD Photo Studios
« Reply #67 on: Sep 11, 2005, 07:01:59 AM »
Im new to 4 wheeling, and most of you have seen my buildup of my 4 runner, so you know im a toyota fan.

I don't think Jeeps are as bad as you say. Some of you have commented about jeeps always breaking down, and how some people are not as prepaired as they should be, and also the money issue.

My  :twocents: on the matter is this:

My friend Carlos built himself a really nice 1 gen Toyota would go anywhere, without breaking down. This truck just kept on going and going, he was always there. Thats why Big Mike gives him heck for selling it to his son.

Yes he sold it to his son and got a new Jeep Rubicon.

The fact of the matter is, I know Carlos would have purchased another Toyota if  he could find a new one that is stock, and capable of wheeling like his old reliable.

Lets thank Toyota for not making anything stock that can go anywhere. Right?

If you think about it, why would you buy a new Toyota truck, only to stick an 85 or older front axle under it? I think thats why you dont see to many newer Toyota's on the trail, too expensive

Now the Jeep Rubicon is, I think, the only vehicle on the market that you can purchase, and start wheeling right away.

Carlos took his, and put a small 3" lift, 35's and a bunch of other little things, and wow, this thing is really cool. Rides like a Cadillac and can outflex any of our Toyota's any day. Of course, there are a few little things that need to be built up to strengthen up the suspension, but not far from stock.

I know Carlos was even present to flip Marlins buggy back on its feet after a rollover at the rubicon.  :yikes: I know, none of you want to hear this, but it happened.

I don't know much about jeeps, the room is a little cramped, but ive Ive gone wheeling with Carlos many times without any problems. By the way, I'm 6' 5", not exactly a little guy. Hes even given me the opoopportunity drive, plenty of room for my size 16 shoes.

I think the thing about jeeps is the owner. As with any other vehicle, if your not prepaired, you will break down. And Carlos has so much experience wheeling, he has no problems on the trail.

Big Mike and all the other guys at the shop know Carlos, and know hes always on the trail with his Rubicon, and I know the guys at the shop have no problems inviting him for a run.

By the way, the only guy that kept up with Mikes 3rz up the 4 lane was Carlos in his Jeep. Lets see how Mike does with the weight of his suspention and body armor hes already added, and will continue to add.

Thats my  :twocents: with experience.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #68 on: Sep 11, 2005, 07:36:27 AM »
What he said :yesnod:
Time to go wheelin!

davidt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -171
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sep 12, 2005, 05:28:30 PM »
Jeeps rule, I built this instead of a yota, just trying to be different :p  I still love yotas and have stolen some ideas from them (I.E. the tube bed, sliders?)
What I really came here to do is ask if anybody has an opinion on marlins rock rails.  Will they hold up to the rocks or will the .120 wall hrew be too weak?  Thanks guys
Here is my truck on a really tough obstacle at our last outing :D

And some more pictures...

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sep 13, 2005, 06:20:51 AM »
The sliders will hold up fine.  Id be FAR more concerned with the "frame rails" that are under your mj.  You doors have about the same thickness of sheet metal as the unibody.  :ack:

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sep 13, 2005, 07:20:26 AM »
I would say that I don't mind jeeps its just mine was costing WAY to much money.  I have less into all 3 of my toyotas than I had into my Jeep.  Mostly I don't like the drivers of the jeeps but I don't mind the vehicles themselves, but I wouldn't trade the space I have now of my 4-Runner.  Love haveing room to put stuff behind the seat and comfortably fit 4 people.

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Sep 13, 2005, 08:02:17 AM »
I didnt want to add my  :twocents:  but I will since I have owned both. Anyone who knows anything about mechanical longevity, value, and reliability knows that any Toyota product, especially there trucks has always kicked everyone elses   :moon:     In my humble opinion the Jeeps engine overpowers its drivetrain in most cases, this is why a lot of Jeep owners throw 1 ton beef under there rigs to keep breakage down. Then its on to the t-case with lower gears, then shorten the output shaft becasue you have vibes after your $3,500 long arm kit. If you havent upgraded your axles yet, you will be messing with upgraded axle kits, stronger u-joints and then finally realize your axle sucks and You toss in the 1 ton running gear. Yes the evolution is all part of the hobby, and I have no problems with Jeep owners, or there rigs. But if you want to compare out of the box capability, and out of the box drivetrain strength, the Toy takes home the trophy.
I love this debate though becasue so many Jeep owners have converted to Toys out of simple frustration, they can be awesome rigs, but what are you going to trust most when your on an epic trail ride? My Jeep left me stranded one too many times, the toy has yet to let me down.

I have seen the Hilux being used all over the world, even first gens still out there serving as tractors, farm trucks, and sometimes as villiage taxis (with the entire villiage riding in back) You will be hard pressed to see Jeeps being used in such conditions.

I once read that Enzo Ferrari stated that the Jeep is the "Only true American Sports Car", Well if thats the case than the Toyota is the "Only true workhorse truck" In the World.

:driving:
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

vaj70cruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 609
  • Member since Apr '05
  • marlin ultimate crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sep 14, 2005, 08:33:08 PM »
Three words i found and can proved for Toyota trucks -*4runners* ---Dependability, Value, and reliability that's what my 87 toyota 170,999 Mileage 4runner always do daily. 20's years still going and going and again going and going and going----------will again going and going.... :yikes:
Fj40 V8 efi ss350 marlin ultimate crawler 290:1

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sep 14, 2005, 10:47:41 PM »
Three words i found and can proved for Toyota trucks -*4runners* ---Dependability, Value, and reliability that's what my 87 toyota 170,999 Mileage 4runner always do daily. 20's years still going and going and again going and going and going----------will again going and going.... :yikes:
  :headscratch:  ,sorry,you kinda lost me on one of the goings,and one of the agains....Oh,and the 20's years too.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,403
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THROW SOME DEES ON THAT B1TCH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sep 14, 2005, 11:38:24 PM »
yeah, and WTF is "can proved for toyota......" try the spell check next time homie.  :headshake: 
***ROCK BRAWLERS~Southern Cali***
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

'85 Toy, 42's and a body lift!

ROCK IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #76 on: Sep 15, 2005, 12:14:06 PM »
Spell check won't help with sentence construction, just mis-spelled words. :yesnod:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

rEdnECkwHeE1eR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 1,430
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sep 16, 2005, 03:22:58 PM »
if thats the only well built cheeroke youve seen then you muct be living in a cave there are quite a few of them heres my buddys

Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #78 on: Sep 16, 2005, 03:51:57 PM »
if thats the only well built cheeroke youve seen then you muct be living in a cave there are quite a few of them heres my buddys

They are rare on the trail, what size tires is he running?

rEdnECkwHeE1eR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sep 16, 2005, 07:08:01 PM »
37" Krawlers :bling:
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #80 on: Sep 16, 2005, 10:41:28 PM »
 :thumbs:  :yesnod:
Time to go wheelin!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #81 on: Sep 16, 2005, 10:43:59 PM »
So has he cracked the windshield yet?  Did he brace the unibody with a sub-frame?

rEdnECkwHeE1eR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sep 17, 2005, 10:42:58 AM »
To Put to rest anybodys thoughts about the supposed weak unibody, THEY ARE NOT AS WEAK AS EVERYONE THINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no he has not cracked his windshield
no he had not popped his side windows and he can always open all the doors even when its flexed out

My buddy (WOH) had an XJ on full width axles and had cut pretty much the whole back off behind the doors and he flexed it out and could open evey door just fine, full size trucks can't even do that :snare:
The only disadvantage in my opinon is that you kinda have to spread the load out a little on stuff when you weld it on but it is no big deal :beer:
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #83 on: Sep 17, 2005, 02:15:34 PM »
No argument there they are not weak, but if you do twist one they are basically done-for and they are more prone to twisting since they are a unibody. If you twist the frame on lets say a "TOYOTA" sure the frame will be bent but since the body is a separate unit, it usually does not affect it since the body mounts will compinsate instead of bending the body. A couple buddies of mine have Grand Cherokee's for moderate wheeling and they are very well set up, but when it comes to anything hardcore they jump in their Sammi's (not my choice as you already know). Both of these vehicles have been hardened for body/frame flex to keep them straight. If your friend has not sub-framed his rig he should just to keep it from twisting unless he really doesn't care and will just swap out everything into another one. Cherokee's can come pretty cheap and have good out of the box capabilities, I get lots of them through my work and did consider getting one and building it but then the truck I now have came along and I went with the best. :biggthumpup:

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sep 17, 2005, 04:40:17 PM »
Not as weak as everyone thinks?  Id say they are weaker than everyone thinks is closer to the truth.  Frameless wheelers are a waste of time, money and effort.  I dont care what brand it is.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #85 on: Sep 17, 2005, 04:59:45 PM »
Not as weak as everyone thinks?  Id say they are weaker than everyone thinks is closer to the truth.  Frameless wheelers are a waste of time, money and effort.  I dont care what brand it is.

:yesnod: The lack of a real frame was my final decision "NOT" to get one.

rEdnECkwHeE1eR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sep 17, 2005, 06:37:42 PM »

Do you have any examples? Cause my buddy with the topless XJ on 44s was plenty strong and it had also been rolled a few times also. Don't hate just cause you dont know ::)

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2005, 06:32:52 AM by WHITE_TRASH »
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #87 on: Sep 17, 2005, 06:46:31 PM »
 :popcorn:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #88 on: Sep 17, 2005, 07:42:53 PM »
Well now that you ask one of my buddies that has one bought it from the owners of Don-A-Vee Jeep. It has been wheeled fairly hard and stress cracks are all over the place, winshield is cracked, doors pop open and there is a hole developing under the rear seat. All caused from wheeling it. So far my other buddies only has a stress crack in the windshield. I don't know you tell me what's going on there. :headscratch: Actually I do, the one with all the damage does not have a sub-frame and the one that only has a cracked windshield does.

flourman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 333
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Got Body Damage??
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sep 17, 2005, 08:59:29 PM »
I'll go ahead and throw in my  :twocents: on this one.  I will give Jeep the thumbs up for sticking with a solid front axle.  Although it's not as stout as a Toy front, it's still a SFA.  Now when you step back and compare CJs to FJs, this is like comparing apples and oranges.  About the only thing they both have in common is that you can take the top off and they both have a SFA.  IMHO, FJs are and will continue to be one of the best platforms to build off of for an offroad vehicle. 

That is all.
Doin' it FULLSIZE style!