Author Topic: Jeep vs. Toyota  (Read 69498 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Jeep vs. Toyota
« Reply #120 on: Sep 29, 2005, 07:17:19 AM »
Well that sucks, a bit of bad luck there that would have nothing to due with it being a Toyota though.

Sounds more like you keep ordering a trans and the sources you have been using, use the same guy and he keeps sending you the same trans and is laughing his ass off. :laugh:

Good luck on the current trans :thumbs:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Sep 29, 2005, 03:47:19 PM »

The XJ blowing the engine (first) and the torque converter (second, that's when I bought the Yota) is understandable, she went swimming.

I dumped my XJ before the torque converter finally decided to die, but it was almost there. XJ's have so many shitty parts in them its unbelievable. Im glad i got rid of mine and bought a yota........even if i lost  3500 dollars.

HotSEXJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Women Want Me, Transmissions Fear Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Sep 29, 2005, 06:15:38 PM »
I dumped my XJ before the torque converter finally decided to die, but it was almost there. XJ's have so many shitty parts in them its unbelievable. Im glad i got rid of mine and bought a yota........even if i lost 3500 dollars.

I don't really think the XJ would've crapped out if I didn't put it underwater.
1993 T100: #659, Ultra-Rare 4 Speed R150
1996 XJ: 98 Engine, Ultra-Rare 0 Speed AW4

toyoder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 211
  • Male Posts: 704
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Sep 29, 2005, 10:02:04 PM »
well at the toyota jambo in april at the hammers one of our buddys was rollin a grand cherokee with 60's front and rear on 38 inch boggers and that thing was bad as fu(k!!! strong as hell too.I think that there is no use trying to compare the two rigs (Jeep & toyota) both types are strong and very wheelable with the right set up,sure it's a littlecheaper to build a yota but I see no reason to compare the two,it's all on the driver and then way it's set up. just my  :twocents: 
you can put 38s and dana 60s under anything and it would be badass!
zuk tube buggy
22re powered

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Sep 29, 2005, 11:21:22 PM »
it
I don't really think the XJ would've crapped out if I didn't put it underwater.

my problems with my XJ were the axles (stock dana 30's are junk), my tranny(shifted really hard in certain gears because it was an auto tranny) and my whole frame (or lack there of) i said in a previous post that when my jeep was all flexed out my doors wouldnt open and its true.

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Sep 29, 2005, 11:29:31 PM »
here are some poser shots of my peice of  :pokinit: in my old backyard before i ditched it for my 4runner. It had 35 inch xterrains, a ten inch sky crapper lift, custom high angle drivelines, 4.55 yukon gears, lincoln rear, arb front and 4:1 transfer case, and lots of other junk. It was nice i suppose for my first rig I built but I will never buy a unibody jeep again, I bought a 4runner recently and i decided im sticking with toyota for good. There are some sick jeeps out there though, like infernals and other built non uni jeeps but toyota is my preference now.

HotSEXJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: Sep 30, 2005, 12:45:34 PM »
thats a LOT of lift for 35's

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #127 on: Sep 30, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »
I was Going to buy a Cherokee befor I got my 4runner.....    :kickbutt:   Then i got some sense kicked into me,  I love my toyota.  Jeeps are cool,  and some day i will have my much desired flat fender.  I will always have a yota though.  These things are tough.

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Sep 30, 2005, 01:23:06 PM »
yeah i know, but with no trimming i could only fit 35's with 10 inch's. The tires looked right on it, it didnt look like it had too much lift for the tires.

HotSEXJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Sep 30, 2005, 02:30:08 PM »
yeah i know, but with no trimming i could only fit 35's with 10 inch's. The tires looked right on it, it didnt look like it had too much lift for the tires.

Trimming is part of the "JEEP THING"
 :laugh:

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Sep 30, 2005, 03:56:54 PM »
lol yeah i know. but i didnt want to trim my xj, and i never had any problems with just having 35's. I was going to lower the lift to 8 inchs and cut the :pokinit: out of it for some 38's but my dana 30's would have fallen apart on me so i decided against that. Its gone now though, i sold it to some guy that was going to turn it into a buggy or something for $650 dollars. I could have sold the tires wheels arb and transfer case gears for more than that but i didnt care, i just needed to get rid of it before i moved from missouri to nevada and he seemed cool enough.

lal357

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Nov '03
  • are we there yet are we there yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Sep 30, 2005, 06:50:03 PM »
i cant complain about yota tranny's had my 80 for 4 years cracked the top of the 4spd when i got it (from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock )6" total drove it hard for 4 years with it still cracked and tranny working just wanted a 5spd i've had so much mud sucked into my cab that i think it can :pokinit: bricks out the tail pipe (now i stay out of deep mud) got about 6k total into it .
this past june my wife for some reason wanted to try 4 wheeling and suprised me with a '05 rubicon unlimited sahara edition(31k)  and the first thing i did was to try and climb the 4 1/2' ledge that i like to test my yota on when i change something  and it wouldnt even go farther than my bronco does i told her 4x4's are built not bought so until i drop another 4k into hers (more lift better body armor and atleast some 33's) she has a 31 thousand dana 44 locked f/r 4-1 xfer case mall cruiser

hows that for a comparison
80yota 22r 32/36 weber,header,custom bed,4.88 spooled rear Aussie front ,63" chevies,cage,yada,yada

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Sep 30, 2005, 07:41:29 PM »
Better check those axles again.....  What they call a dana44 and what is a real dana 44 are not the same thing. ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Sep 30, 2005, 09:08:50 PM »
I thought rubicons came with dana44's?

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Sep 30, 2005, 09:14:35 PM »
Dana44 ring & pinion with dana 30 front shafts and ball joints.  I was told recently that the rear had gone to a C-clip design but I cant confirm this to tell the truth. 

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: Sep 30, 2005, 09:28:06 PM »
eeeeeek after owning an XJ with dana30's any time i see a rig with dana30 anything it makes me quiver  :shudder:  haha

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Sep 30, 2005, 09:51:50 PM »
At least its got a stronger 44 housing so it wont smile after you bump the curb in front of starbucks....  :greengrin:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #137 on: Oct 01, 2005, 11:46:24 PM »
At least its got a stronger 44 housing so it wont smile after you bump the curb in front of starbucks....  :greengrin:

:clap2:  :bowdown:  :clap2:  :yupyup:  :rofl2:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Willy Mammoth

• Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Oct 02, 2005, 04:59:29 AM »
 :gap:  I don't own a Jeep so I can't comment here. I have none of those stoies to share. :rivers:   :rofl:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

rEdnECkwHeE1eR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 1,430
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Oct 02, 2005, 09:32:13 PM »
i cant complain about yota tranny's had my 80 for 4 years cracked the top of the 4spd when i got it (from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock )6" total drove it hard for 4 years with it still cracked and tranny working just wanted a 5spd i've had so much mud sucked into my cab that i think it can :pokinit: bricks out the tail pipe (now i stay out of deep mud) got about 6k total into it .
this past june my wife for some reason wanted to try 4 wheeling and suprised me with a '05 rubicon unlimited sahara edition(31k)  and the first thing i did was to try and climb the 4 1/2' ledge that i like to test my yota on when i change something  and it wouldnt even go farther than my bronco does i told her 4x4's are built not bought so until i drop another 4k into hers (more lift better body armor and atleast some 33's) she has a 31 thousand dana 44 locked f/r 4-1 xfer case mall cruiser

hows that for a comparison

That is :pokinit: for a comparison how can you expect a stock vehicle to climb a 4 1/5 foot ledge ::)
why dont you do a test that doesn't require only ground clearance, you can't blame jeep for not selling a big lifted thing to a the public imagine the liability :o
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

lal357

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Member since Nov '03
  • are we there yet are we there yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Oct 03, 2005, 03:49:42 AM »
thats why i also compared it to my bronco that is petty much stock the bronco would have almost made it if the hitch wasnt dragging if you look at the new jeep the belly pan on them sits real low and thats what hangs up on them also the rubicon's sit 2" higher than the stock jeeps compared to friends yj and nieghbors tj   and since it already has airlockers in it and the 4 to 1 xfer case i dont consider it stock
80yota 22r 32/36 weber,header,custom bed,4.88 spooled rear Aussie front ,63" chevies,cage,yada,yada

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #141 on: Oct 03, 2005, 11:22:37 AM »
It's sold that way from the factory, that makes it stock
the rubicon's sit 2" higher than the stock jeeps compared to friends yj and nieghbors tj and since it already has airlockers in it and the 4 to 1 xfer case i dont consider it stock
Time to go wheelin!

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #142 on: Oct 03, 2005, 11:27:16 AM »

I agree.

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Oct 03, 2005, 11:59:12 AM »

yeah im with mudmaster and whiteman. If toyotas started coming with marlin dual cases and some diamond built axles those would be stock. If it comes from the factory with those parts it makes those STOCK parts.

dentedfender

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 85
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Jeep eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: Oct 21, 2005, 07:04:18 PM »
my buddy has had 2 xjs none of them made it to 200,000 he did however fit 32s on 2 inches with some triming, also anthor buddys xj has 2inchs and sits on 30s which look about right for it, the other buddys xj sits on 33s on a 4 inch only wheeled with him twice but he did manage to flip it the 2nd time out and it roled once and came out pretty tweaked.  My dads old 93 hixlux sat on its roof all night and all it needed was a new winsheild. that truck also had 260k and was not mantained at all that was 4 years ago b4 he changed jobs and i bet it is still running.  and as far as putting a runner up against an xj my brothers out wheeled one with a 8 inch long arm 33s locked rear, with his 89 v6 33s locked rear and rear shackle as his only lift also my 85s got 280 and is still kicking it but this is just my  :twocents:
85 4runner rears up front f-150s out back dual 2.28 cases 22re, rear discs, 5.29s, locked f/r, 38s....... list goes on and on

Fikseman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -115
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Oct 24, 2005, 08:16:25 PM »
well xj's can't be compared to anything that doesn't have a unibody....otherwise its like comparing apples to oranges....reason being...i think i'll just use what 4wheeloffroad said:
Structure
Cherokee chassis structure is formed from pseudo framerails made of sheetmetal under the vehicle. Rear quarter-panels are uniquely designed for dual duty to provide added structural integrity to the body. When cutting past the wheelwell/body panel seam, this intentional structure is weakened. Cutting past the wheelwell/body panel seam should only occur when a reinforced re-seaming can replace the original seam.

so you can't cut the crap outta the unibodies w/o seeing some bad things happen....not that you can't, just the life of the unibody does indeed get lowered considerably. friend has a cherokee and he cut to much out of his first beater, ruined the body on the first trip..... :yikes:. this means a very high COG and easy to tip/less stable which means less performance. dont get me wrong, some Xj's/Zj's can wheel a whole lot better then my wrangler, but they put how much more into thier rigs?

as for the toy vs jeep debate, heres where i have found the problem to be(first hand).
1 - (insert brand) is the best.
2 - (insert brand) is the best. im right your wrong. because i know God himself and He told me.
1 - No, my stuff is the best, because I know God better then you.
2 - I bet you dont. I win, because mine says insert brand

it all turns into a thingy envy debate, and its really not needed. pride in your vehicle is one thing, ignorance towards others rigs makes your thoughts on anything else worthless. We can't let pride get in the way of having a good time with friends we meet/ride with on the trail.

im done rambling.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Oct 24, 2005, 08:27:06 PM »
I wheel with more jeeps than yota's.  There is the typical ribbing both ways but in the end it all comes down to just getting out from behind the computer and wheeling.  I dont care, Ill wheel with anyone. :cool:

irishracer34

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Oct '05
  • i am the best i've ever had!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Oct 25, 2005, 11:39:03 AM »
  See the thing i came to realize is that not matter what you drive( jeep or toyota) you always have a friend that drives the oppisite.  Now everybody knows how much fun it is to talk :pokinit: on your friends, cause you know you can get away with it.   See i wheel a XJ and almost all of my buddies have yotas.   I can outwheel some of them but not all of them.   Everyone has their own advantages when it comes to their rig.     Plus the type of suspension you have makes a huge difference, trust me i have amazed some other people who were bigger and badder than me.     But when it comes down to it is all about the wheeling!         All well    i spoke my peace.

:yikes: YOTAS SUCK :yikes:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #148 on: Oct 25, 2005, 01:47:51 PM »
  See the thing i came to realize is that not matter what you drive( jeep or toyota) you always have a friend that drives the oppisite.  Now everybody knows how much fun it is to talk :pokinit: on your friends, cause you know you can get away with it.   See i wheel a XJ and almost all of my buddies have yotas.   I can outwheel some of them but not all of them.   Everyone has their own advantages when it comes to their rig.     Plus the type of suspension you have makes a huge difference, trust me i have amazed some other people who were bigger and badder than me.     But when it comes down to it is all about the wheeling!         All well    i spoke my peace.

:yikes: YOTAS SUCK :yikes:

....and don't forget about driver abilities, a good driver can make the difference between getting up and getting stuck.

:turtle: JEEP'S BITE :turtle:

.....and I should know! :biggthumpup:

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

irishracer34

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Oct '05
  • i am the best i've ever had!
    • View Profile