Author Topic: Should I sell?  (Read 2596 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Should I sell?
« on: Jul 17, 2007, 11:49:10 PM »
Copy/pasted from my thread on pirate:  Here's the story: I've wanted a handgun for a long time and actually went to start seriously researching last year. I decided to ask all pertinent questions ahead of time rather than getting half way through a transaction and get stopped. Smart move. I can't actually purchase a pistol in california right now because my dmv address matches nothing else and is a po box instead of a street address. No biggie, I can go to dmv and change the address and buy a hunting license, fill out that address and be set. Only problem is other things came up and I spent my money.

I'd really like to get the pistol asap to take with me on hikes but don't have enough cash. I sold a bicycle recently and held onto that money and I'm getting a little overtime every payday, so the money is building but slowly. Too slowly.

Rather than wait until the weather turns and I stop hiking for the year, should I sell a long gun to make up the difference? I have a couple remington 788s I'd never sell, so only other choice left is a very clean sporterized swedish mauser in 6.5x55. I don't know if I could even get enough cash for it to make up the difference, or even to make it worth my while.

I'll hafta get better pics tomorrow if I can.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Should I sell?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2007, 08:47:46 AM »
i wish i had the money Nate,  that mauser is sweet
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2007, 10:16:27 AM »
sweet mauser nate, but personally i wouldnt sell it.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2007, 11:17:06 AM »
just my  :twocents: but i HATE selling my guns.  i'd rather wait a little more so i can have a bigger collection then sell  one off.
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2007, 06:39:18 PM »
I kinda got to feeling the same way when I went to take more pics today.  The reciever and barrel are in excellent condition on this thing and everything works very smooth.  I've had two people on pirate voice interest in it now so we'll see :crossed:

More pics
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2007, 06:49:21 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2007, 11:53:41 AM »
well i wouldn't sell it.  what pistol you looking for and how much?  im sure i can find it cheaper.  you mind if its used but in good condition?
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2007, 01:49:06 PM »
Keep the gun, that's a sick ass mouser. My first hunting riffle was an old mouser.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2007, 05:20:46 PM »
www.gunbroker.com or www.gunsamerica.com are good sites for used and a couple new guns

my hunting rifle is a Remington 700 BDL.  love it to death.  i like my 22 better tho.  shoot all day for $10.  lol i got a Mrlin Model 60 for $20.  can't beat that.  but now im off topic, sorry.  bottom line is.  DONT SELL THE GUN!  Think of your children or their children.  I think its always cool to pass on guns to family members.  A way to keep your legacy going after you die.  Especially cool guns like a Mouser. just my  :twocents:
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2007, 05:25:23 PM »
I agree.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2007, 10:22:20 PM »
Interesting insight!  For many years I'd borrow my dad's remington 788 .243.  I'd grab it a little before deer season, sight it in and give it back shortly after deer season ended.  Each year I'd keep it longer and longer until he finally told me I may as well just keep it.  I was stoked but couldn't keep it, it was his.  We went back and forth a couple times before my mom finally stepped in, turns to my dad and said "can he keep it?", he replies "yes", she turns to me and says "then it's yours".  Done deal. 

It used to piss me off that I often couldn't find shots without walking 100 yards down range to find 2 sharing the same hole, then I realized it was a GOOD thing :haha:  Did a little research and found out that's why remington stopped making them.  They came out with the 700 series and weren't selling near the volume they wanted to.  Why?  Their little cheapie entry level gun consistently out-shot their 700s :yupyup:  Liked it so much I picked up a 788 in .308!
RIP KYOTA

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2007, 10:30:23 PM »
www.gunbroker.com or www.gunsamerica.com are good sites for used and a couple new guns

my hunting rifle is a Remington 700 BDL.  love it to death.  i like my 22 better tho.  shoot all day for $10.  lol i got a Mrlin Model 60 for $20.  can't beat that.  but now im off topic, sorry.  bottom line is.  DONT SELL THE GUN!  Think of your children or their children.  I think its always cool to pass on guns to family members.  A way to keep your legacy going after you die.  Especially cool guns like a Mouser. just my  :twocents:
I must agree with TOD DONT SELL THE GUN but if you do call me  :gap:

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2007, 11:06:06 PM »
eh, i cant complain.  i like my 700.
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2007, 12:03:31 AM »
I wouldn't blame you either!  Given the chance I'd buy a 700, almost bought a mountain light :dunno: 700 in 7mm rem mag but changed my mind.  In retrospect it either woulda kicked like a sumbitch or the dude meant 7mm08.  700 is a great platform to start from and has incredible potential for mods, 788 was a very simple, solid and accurate gun.  I probably paid atleast 3 times as much for my .308 as it cost initially.
RIP KYOTA

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2007, 11:27:04 AM »
i paid $400 for my 700 30-06.  came with a 3-9x40 scope, a sling, and a hard case.  this is in almost new cond. especially for being 20 years old.
"Who let the jeeps come?

81 Toy Pickup SR5

eddyb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 230
  • Male Posts: 203
  • Member since Jun '05
  • I'm here, I'm in gear, get used to it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2007, 03:48:54 PM »
I'd sell a kidney before I sold one of my guns
A bad day of wheelin' is better than a good day at work

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 23, 2007, 12:59:01 AM »
So I'm getting super low-ball offers on it again.  Looks like I'll probably be keeping it and trying to just buy the pistol when I can.  I NEED TO SELL MORE OFF MY 86!
RIP KYOTA

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 23, 2007, 03:37:33 PM »
Probably better that way any how.