Author Topic: My 82 ex-cab...Hydro-Assist questions  (Read 88989 times)

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
My 82 ex-cab...Hydro-Assist questions
« on: May 17, 2007, 07:53:58 PM »
Alright, so I've been trying to document everything so far, and been meaning to get posted up on here a long time ago, but with school and work and the truck itself, havent had much time.  Just took my last final today, so I figured I would start the "Catch-UP" thread.  Here is the oldest picture I could find, sadly i cant find one of it without the bed (How I bought it) or with the navy blue bed from the junkyard(Already primered white in the pic)  Anyway, its come a long way since then, but im going to try and do this in order...

Yes, those kirkland tires under the truck are the ones I was rollin on for awhile...still have them I think, if anyones interested.. :bling: :shudder:
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2011, 05:03:51 PM by 82juguete »

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Re: 1982 Hilux Build
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 08:02:23 PM »
Heres some of the first modding...new brake pads and shoes...just cleaned up and hit the rear drums with some sandpaper and hammertone paint...  Thats a four inch pro comp lift on it, which I am halfway done with getting rid of now (wouldn't recommend it to anyone).  More on how I got the truck and more of the build pics after dinner.....

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:25:17 PM »
OK..ill just dive into the first major surgery...bobbing the bed
last view of its looooong bed glory

marking it out...just under 12''

cutting

gone

taking a peek at what itll look like

start of the looong tacking process...those bedsides want to melt like butter

ground down

body filler

sanding it down

finshed product came out pretty decent...nice stock look i wanted

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:43:52 PM »
ok...here I began making the rear bumper....needed something back there now since I had about 2 inches of framerail sticking out through the roll pan after the bob...
2x4" 1/4'' thick tubing, beveled end cuts, and like 1/2'' thick strap for the mounts
welding it up

added a couple d-rings, hammertone paint, might add some stuff later but for now its just simple, clean, and worked out good

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:04:17 PM »
Ill finish tonight with some pics of the front bumper I made.  Keep in mind this is only half done, and I will be making a support hoop curl up from the front drop hanger.  It will brace up the bumper and Im thinking of some diamond plate in the middle to serve as a skid plate as well.  This is on hold right now, until im done re-doing the front drop hanger/springs/etc.

All tacked up...this would've been so much easier with a notcher..

notice i painted the headlight bezels too

And here it is today...painted and topped off with some 6" lights from summit

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 11:05:20 PM »
Lookin sweet i also have a 1st gen long bed but couldn't find a bed in good condition so i went flatbed, I like the rear bumper like you said simple and clean, are you going to cap the ends of the bumper, as for procomp lifts they are junk.
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 11:14:39 PM »
yea...thats what i was talkin about...Ill either cap them, or im thinking of having twin round tubes coming out and wrapping around the rear of the bed, then cutting those ends at an angle or something..not sure how that would look though.  Yea so that procomp lift was basically new and after less than 5 months of driving on them i completely bent the drivers rear (reason for getting marlins) and now the drivers front has nearly flattened out....soon to get replaced by marlins as well....plus they ride like I have my axles welded straight to the frame

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 11:19:06 PM »
My rough country lift was the same way, bent both front springs after two trips  :yikes: Might as well spend the money and get good quality parts then have to replace them over and over. I like the front bumper looks good.  :thumbs:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 11:27:13 PM »
i dotn know if you liek the look or not, but i would get rid of the bed behind the wheels up to the floor... like my bed

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 11:35:40 PM »
thanks rednk...yea ive been checking up on your build...its coming along good. And captain, i think im gonna stick with my bed the way it is now.  I know that what you have done is a very common mod, but with my 33s im in no need for clearance as of now

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »
not that the 33s are going to hit, but that way if you drop off a ledge or something you dont smash the heck out of the bed

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 11:44:33 PM »
true...i guess that after i smash the crap out of it, it will be easier to chop it off.. :yesnod:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:34:21 PM by 82juguete »

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 09:45:53 PM »
Rolled on the bedliner on wednesday...I think it came out pretty good.  This is herculiner, and it has a nice texture to it.

Before

After

Even did a little strip along the top of the bumper... I can see me using this stuff for lots of other things too...

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 10:06:52 PM »
makes me want to coat my whole truck with herculiner.....

jsut gotta make sure you keep it away from your hootus!

~ John F. Kennedy ~

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 10:15:56 PM »
thats one purdy 1st gen youve got there. I have an 82 also. what a coincidence!
have you done anything to the drivetrain? mines still all stock, ive been building the suspension and making the motor run good before spending a ton of money on the drivetrain.
YOU NEED THE SAVE FOR HIGH STEER!!!

do you have power steering or a/c?

heres my 82...I havent documented any of it really at all. Making my intense wood flat bed was the first thing I really took pictures of building.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32513.0
:beer:
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 10:40:07 PM »
drivetrain is basically stock..my first goal for that is building the axle I have in my backyard (gears, locker, shave, truss) and swapping that in...then I will worry about the transfer case ( or CASES likely)  Yea it has ps and ac, and it is my daily driver to and from school and work everyday.  I just got done putting marlin 4" springs in the rear, and my next priority is doing the front to match.  You know what, heres a list, since I need to organize my thoughts anyway.

My Very AMBITIOUS summer plans...
1.  Marlin front springs, u-bolt flip, shackles
2.  FIx leaky hubs
3.  Finish front bumper/skidplate
4.  Add freon to ac...get lines charged
5.  Build rear axle (488's, Aussie, BTF Diff protection, shock mounts)
6.  Work on bedcage/upper shockmounts/spare carrier
7.  Sliders???

Well see if my paychecks can make ends meet enough this summer to actually do all this...but if so, ill be stoked..

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 10:45:41 PM »
if you just rebuild the hub seals with regular seals and do it the way the factory does, they will leak again. i cant remember what the reason is, but theres something that gets mashed and leaks when it gets wheeled for a while. theres way to fix it, try searching the board. i did both of mine and they both leak like hell again about 9 months later. I dont care though my motor leaks so much oil you cant tell the difference from the oil spots. my head gasket is broken on the front of my motor at the top of the timing cover. nothing is damaged at all in the motor from it, theres just the oil spots.
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

FruitaCrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -174
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 12:14:38 AM »
how long did it take and how hard was it to do the herculiner? i have been thinking about putting it on the bed of my 88 but don't have a garage and sometimes run out of Patience
88 pickup- stock for now

America has always had on imigration problem just ask any indian

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 12:32:59 AM »
its starting to look pretty sick dude  :thumbs:

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 01:08:44 AM »
I can't lie...the herculiner was kind of a job.  You need about a half day to sweat it out, but I did the whole thing on the street where it is in the pics, so dont worry about a garage.  The main thing is the prep work.  Gotta sweep and wash out the bed, let it dry, scuff it up (a little more with surface rust like mine) then wipe it all down with MEK or xylene.  Then you just brush and roll it on...wait about 2-3 hours, then put the second coat on.  Its all the dry times and waiting that make it add up to a half-day or more worth of work.  Doing it yourself, and saving a couple hundred bucks compared to line-x, makes it worth it though.

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
 :thumbs: Looking good!

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 09:14:48 PM »
Ok...so I know the rules for gears... 4:88s for 33"s, and 5:29s for 35"s and bigger, but I would like some more input.  I currently have 33''s, so the plan had been to get 4:88s up until now.  As I have already strapped on the 4" marlin springs on the back, and am probably going to do the front this week, I can see that I will be well equipped to handle 35"s or slightly bigger, and am predicting that I will feel inclined to do so.  My thought was to still get 4:88s, since Im not sure if I will step up tire size, and just run the 35's or 36's on them in the future, but is that going to put me in the same boat as stock gears with 33's?  I wouldn't hesitate one bit to just get 5:29's, but the main parameter for this build is to maintain daily driveability, thus I need the best gas mileage possible, so im not sure which gears will do this...any opinions?

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Re: 1982 Hilux Build (Gear Questions)
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 05:22:34 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYrou95ERUg  This is ridiculous....must be a big thing in India or something.   I think i found a new goal for my project... :eyebrow:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2007, 07:21:54 PM »
That guy on the pass side had his arm out the window... what an idiot!

Oh yea nice truck! :greengrin:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 08:34:40 PM »
that is one sick rig!!!!!!  im gonna build a first gen out next year... hopefully it turns out half as clean as yours..

i like your rear bumper.. that is great.. keep it how it is.. clean and simple and light weight(lighter weight)..

wondering if you're planning on going to 35's?? or sticking completely with the 33's??
also wondered  how long did your bobbed bed take???
sick build again!
Jeep

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
your rear bumper is sweet.  i like how its low profile but real strong.

professional looking bed bob too..you dont see too many that look that clean. I can tell youve done body work before!

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2007, 10:03:04 PM »
Thanks for the compliments...yea, on the bumper I wanted something thick, because my roll pan under the bumper isnt too pretty, which is why I went with the 2x4 instead of round tube.  I also wanted it tucked up as close as possible, not hanging under the pan asking to get hung up like say, the stock bumpers are.  It worked out pretty well, theres about a 1/16th of an inch gap between the bumper and the tailgate when its down.  Solid as a rock too, with the 1/2'' flat mounts and 2 big grade 8's bolting it to the frame... nice sturdy high-lift jack point.  fatt matt, Ill say that I dont plan on getting another set of 33's when these wear out, but that could be awhile...and the bob job took me two weekends; one to measure and cut, and one to weld back together.  I think this could be combined into 1 weekend though...i was in no hurry. Oh yea...and my daily driver throughout high school was my '63 falcon convertible (can see it a little in reply #2 in the cutting pic)  so I introduced myself to a little bodywork some time ago.

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2007, 10:46:51 PM »
Go with the 5.29's you'll be happier with them, even with the 33s id run 5.29's but then again my rig isn't my dd so i really cant tell what gas milage is going to be like. Looking good.  :beerchug:

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Re: White '82
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2007, 10:50:13 PM »
Could you even give a reasonable guess on mileage, or is it allll trial driving?

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Re: White '82
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2007, 10:52:07 PM »
with 37's i probably get around 18 or so but thats a pretty rough guess.