Author Topic: My 82 ex-cab...Hydro-Assist questions  (Read 91162 times)

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
Re: White '82
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2007, 04:08:20 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYrou95ERUg  This is ridiculous....must be a big thing in India or something.

That ain't India...  :slap:
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat:

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2007, 06:33:22 PM »
I really thought the 4 tack welds would be able to yank the entire weight of the truck, but went ahead and fully welded them anyway...haha yea I just noticed that I never mentioned it or showed a clear picture.., oh and I believe that the bolts are Grade 5, fine thread..theyre the ones which came with the hooks, and the hooks are rated 10,000lbs so...grade 5s are probably better, since its a shear load, Itll bend and come loose instead of just breaking off and flinging a 2 pound sharp piece of metal through the air.  oh and on the video...india...middle-east...I wasnt paying attention...just saw the style of writing and made a guess...

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2007, 06:39:40 PM »
there is tons of literature on grade 5 and grade 8 in the automotive world and the difference is negligible, rather, there is a real difference, but the laods a vehicle will see most likely will never stress either one of those bolts... its end up being like a huge amount of force....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2007, 06:43:04 PM »
i think most people, including myself, just use grade 8s as overkill in certain situations...not because Ive seen a ton of grade 5s fail or anything...

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2007, 10:39:05 PM »
ok..so the anti axle-wrap rod/sway bar, or whatever it is, which connects to the tower on the front axle has been disconnected since I put the new springs on, and I havent noticed any notable or concerning difference.  Seeing as how every single person who is running a front axle truss removes it, and that is a lot of people, should I hesitate at all to go hack it off??  I want to weld on a truss pretty soon anyway.  Are the people running trusses using any alternative methods that i dont know about to do the same thing?

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2007, 10:53:43 PM »
I cut the mount off both the housing and the frame i cant notice a difference except a little bit more body roll.
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

randito

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Jun 01, 2007, 08:33:46 AM »
The sway bar is fine to remove, however if you're talking about the torque rod, that must stay until you upgrade to cross over.

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #67 on: Jun 01, 2007, 01:47:41 PM »
4.10's and 33's   ??  are you trying to figure  your mpg  off the odometer??    12  by  that figure  would be closer to 16 mpg 

it hit me  the other day when i reset my trip odometer  and then  went to a nearby town  that was  16 miles away  but my odometer  showed 12 miles

I did a simple math problem and figured out the percentage of the difference so its easy to figure out.  If my trip meter says I have gone 100 miles, its 119% of that because of the gear ratio screwup with 4.10s and 33s.  so 100 miles on the odometer is really 119, about. 

It still seems weird to me, but I did the math like 3 times and thats pretty close.
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #68 on: Jun 01, 2007, 01:52:10 PM »
after the 1st time i drove my truck on dirt, i took off my sway bar. its pointless.

that torque thing is to prevent axle wrap I would guess.  I took mine off and it seems like it freed up my springs a little bit.  With the front springs, the shackle in the back of the springs (unlike jeeps).  When the springs cycles up, the axle moves backwards.  That stupid torque rod tries to force the axle forward because of the way its bolted on the frame/axle.  So imagine the axle trying to move backwards, and this torque rod trying to push it forward.  this means LESS FLEX, as you can probably imagine.

cut it all off and forget about it.
make sure you grind the frame flat where the mount was, so when you weld in your IFS steering box for hysteer, thats one less thing you have to do.
:thumbs:
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Jun 11, 2007, 05:34:38 PM »
I havent been on in awhile...The weekend of the 1st me and 2 friends went down to ensenada for the 500....It was sick!!!  We actually decided to go Friday afternoon, and left at about 11 that night.  We drove through the night and got into ensenada at about 6AM, just in time to see the bikes on the course, and the quads lining up at the start.  Then we took a snooze and woke up to see all the TTs and class 1s lining up and taking off.  IMPRESSIVE MACHINES!!!  After admiring all we could, we slept some more and then woke up that evening to do a little bar hopping up the mainstreet.  It was an awesome experience to say the least...especially for being on such a whim...

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Jun 11, 2007, 05:39:01 PM »
Heres some pics...
The start

little taco prerunner

Heres one of my favorites...Zorro, the camaro trophy truck...

Phleuger around the first turn

crowd shot at the start

ANyway...fun weekend...if I can make it to the 1000 I will be there

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Jun 11, 2007, 05:44:10 PM »
While Im on...Im tired of leaning like a cholo.  I now have marlin 4inch springs on all four corners, have given them the benefit of the doubt and let them settle for awhile, but my truck still looks like this...  :dunno:

I will admit that I have not welded the pad on the drivers side perch, because it will interfere with my stock steering, but I think the picture shows that that 1/2" or whatever isnt going to fully correct the problem.  Why such a hard lean to the drivers side???  :headscratch:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #72 on: Jun 11, 2007, 05:52:13 PM »
The sway bar is fine to remove, however if you're talking about the torque rod, that must stay until you upgrade to cross over.
it  doesnt have to,  he can replace it  with a  old shock
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Jun 11, 2007, 05:53:17 PM »
it  doesnt have to,  he can replace it  with a  old shock

ive heard there is an adjsutable one that allows articulation as well, and it isnt an old shock..... not sure on that though

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
Re: White '82 (Baja Pics)
« Reply #74 on: Jun 12, 2007, 05:54:15 AM »
I have the 5" kit from MC and mine has the same lean.  I have been told to let it settle.  We will see.  I have only wheeled it one time.

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #75 on: Jun 12, 2007, 12:01:36 PM »
thats so weird. i dont understand why it doesnt sit level.  you sould switch the front springs. put the left on the right and visa versa.  i wonder if the passenger side would lean then.  that lean really sucks.  i remember with my old stock springs (haha!) the passenger rear side sat about an inch lower than anything else and it bugged the crap out of me. 

im curious..how are your blinkers attached?   :beerchug:

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Jun 12, 2007, 12:24:57 PM »
I honestly think the springs have just settled due to my weight on that side of the cab, since about 95% of the time
I am driving my truck alone.  If I get in the bed on the passengers side, jump up and down for awhile and get out, the truck sits pretty level.  What Im going to do today is get about three- 80 pound bags of sand and put them in the bed on the passenger side...see if that helps things out.

As for the blinkers...those are held by a custom zip-tie job.. :eyebrow:  probably not for long though, I have plans to incorporate the turn signals somewhere else soon...should be pretty trick.

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #77 on: Jun 12, 2007, 12:52:37 PM »
ya dude i thought your blinkers were funny.  i tied mine on with some heavy test fishing line.  its temporary, of course.  i destroyed my stock bumper and im waiting for a good place to put them! hahahahhahaha

put some bags of sand in the bed and passenger seat and floor.  make it so its like theres a 500 pound fatman sitting in the truck with you.  or, just park the front passenger tire on a rock and leave it for a day or so!

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Jun 12, 2007, 07:30:53 PM »
the 240 lbs of sand I have in the bed now seems to be working pretty well...Im thinking it might still be leaning slightly when im in it, but its actually sitting level when parked now.  It seems to handle a little better with that weight back there too.  Im going to try this out, see if they start breaking in and hopefully ill end up gradually taking bags of sand out as it levels.  :gap:

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Jun 19, 2007, 10:06:53 PM »
well as you may have noticed, my bent up stock front bumper was one of the first things to go, and since then my blinkers have been zip-tied under the grill....
well, i freed up some more ground clearance by remounting them in a pretty trick way.  Im sure plenty of people have done or thought of this, but when I came up with the idea I thought it was pretty sweet.  so here comes a mini write-up

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Jun 19, 2007, 10:11:25 PM »
the first thing I did was go and buy 1156a bulbs...these are the replacements for the blinker bulbs, only they are amber...the stocks are clear.   
This is what I started with.....

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Jun 19, 2007, 10:15:45 PM »
And after some major hacking with the jigsaw, this is what I ended up with....

The light socket assembly shaved down as small as possible....
Now, I found that the same result can be achieved easier with a dremel...I cut it out alot cleaner here...

but use your weapon of choice....keep in mind there is a thin aluminum reflector piece inside so youll have to cut through that too...

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Jun 19, 2007, 10:19:39 PM »
Now...after removing the clear lense, I drilled a 3/4'' hole in the plastic on the side of my headlight... You could use a bigger bit, or hole saw even but 3/4'' inch was the biggest I could find, so I drilled it and then had to bore it out a little bit.  Also note that I made a little notch with the dremel so the clip on the side of the plug-in on the wire lead could fit through as tightly as possible...

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Jun 19, 2007, 10:24:55 PM »
Finally I just fed the connector and wire through, and then installed the new bulbs and put the lense back on.  As of now the lense is simply holding the light in, but tommorrow I will epoxy the socket to the plastic so it stays put.  I think it looks pretty cool, and it shows up pretty well when the blinkers or hazzards are on...

Hopefully this mod proves to be useful to anyone on here with first gens with custom front bumpers looking to relocate their blinkers. :thumbs:

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Jun 19, 2007, 10:27:39 PM »
you can jsut buy an 1156 socket at a parts store, then just wire on the plug

~ John F. Kennedy ~

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Jun 19, 2007, 10:35:21 PM »
eh...why not just use what you have?

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #86 on: Jun 22, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
i vote what you say.  use what you have.  thats what i do.  apparantly jimbo74 doesnt like your idea.  looks ingenious to me.  i was going to do something similar real soon.  i was going to change the blinker from the actual blinker to the corner light, and just get a orange bulb that fits in the existing socket.  but i havent tried yet so i dont know if they make them in the same size....i kind of figured they would.  is that why you did what you did and custom made the socket?  if so, thats a good heads up for me!

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Jun 23, 2007, 04:41:28 PM »
There would be a little more work involved in doing what your saying, and you would have to find an amber blinking bulb to replace the small running light on the corner there.  I also considered converting my side marker lights into blinkers, but again, it wouldve been a more difficult task.  What I ended up doing is probably the simplest way.  I dont think jimbo didnt like the idea, he was probably suggesting a simplified way of doing it...in the end, I saved myself from splicing in the wiring of a new socket though as well as the cost of a new one, so I think it evens out either way...

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Jul 04, 2007, 03:40:04 PM »
Finally got some stuff going on.....so last week I was working to get some stuff finished up before the weekend because I was going to pismo....

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Jul 04, 2007, 03:41:11 PM »
Got the majority of the front bumper finished up.....WAAAAY stronger than before..