Author Topic: 82juguete's BUDGET trailer build  (Read 29984 times)

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
82juguete's BUDGET trailer build
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
A while back I decided to start gathering parts for a small cargo trailer build.  The basic parameters are relatively light weight, so I can pull with my truck, small yet large enough to carry all my camping stuff, tools, etc. and oh yea, CHEAP!

Heres my original drawing...

The way its playing out so far is 5ft long by 45" wide, framed with 2x2 square tubing, toyota 8" axle with stock springs, (my old) 33'' tires.  It will also have a removable flip up lid to allow strapping cargo up top, and all the provisions for fuel/water tanks, hi-lift, CO2, axe, shovel etc. to mount on the sides and front.

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Re: 82juguete's BUDGET trailer build
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:14:53 PM »
I started awhile by integrating a hitch into my rear bumper...Whats nice is i hinged my plate and it fully covers the hitch when down..  Its gusseted top and bottom with that 3/8 flat, and i think its plenty stout.

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:17:58 PM »
And heres where im at on the trailer so far...

I hate welding thin wall stuff but my little 220 lincoln does great..(im not a good enough welder to do it justice.)

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:24:10 PM »
Anyway just to illustrate my cheapness, heres the build tally...

2x2 tubing~65ft - $30 (leftover fencepost craigslist find)
Thick 2x2 for tongue- free (scrap)
Hitch for tongue- free (found on side of house)
Axle- Free (might end up payin buddy a little, but it was off his parts truck)
Tires- Free (my old ones)
Light kit - $20
30" Jack- $30
Wood- $35
Safety Cables -$15
Hinges, Barrel Bolts, Misc. Hardware- $30

NEW TOTAL :   $160
and  i figure another $50 or so for wood (floor, sides and lid) a jack,  hardware etc.

so $100 is the goal!
[/s]
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2009, 05:22:36 PM by 82juguete »

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:42:33 PM »
That's awesome man!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:51:04 AM »
posting up cuz i wanna build one like that some day :thumbs:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »
Cool! I like where this is going. I plan to do something similar, but I want to base mine around 35s since those are the old tires I have :)

Keep us posted!  :beerchug:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 05:50:24 PM »
Well i got it rolling on saturday...a little more work than i was expecting.  I gotta thank my buddy Jeremy for layin down the welds for me.  I basically ended up making framerails and then bolting them to the springs and welding them on the trailer after squaring them up...
Heres the front hangers, 3/16 plate welded to 1/8" plating on the tube

And heres the rear plating where the shackle tubes went in later...

Jeremy was burning everything in while I was cuttin out all the plates and tabs...

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 05:55:35 PM »
The reason i had to make "framerails" and not just weld the hangers to the trailer frame is because i had to compensate for the tapering in of the springs (which I wasnt fully aware of until this build)

You can see here how far inboard the front of the rails are...

Compared to the back which is almost flush to the outer edges...

This seemed weird to me but I ignored what the springs were doing and just focused on getting the axle perpendicular to the tongue. IT pulled great on my test drive so all worked out...

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 06:00:33 PM »
This thing is a beast!

Good thing is I wont even need much of a drop hitch!  Also picked up a 30" max height trailer jack from Tractor Supply...tack on another $35 to the build.

The tires on there are 35x15.5 swampers, and they scrub the trailer but the 33X 12.5s im going to run will be perfect.  I threw these on just to get it towed over to my girlfriend's house so I can have my driveway back for my 22r build that will be happening soon..

Until thats done, this little project will be on hold unfortunately...

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 06:03:30 PM »
Heres a sketchup model I made of what the finished trailer should look like...

Back view with the bifold lid popped open...

I have a bunch of ideas that may get incorporated along the way...we'll see..:beerchug:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 06:56:11 PM »
Sweet. Looking good so far  :biggthumpup:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

splasher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 56
  • Male Posts: 231
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 10:01:24 PM »
Nice build, even nicer budget.....Are you planning to reinforce the tongue at all? It seems like it'd be a little weak without some gussets at least.

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 395
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 10:11:56 PM »
That looks great! I would like to do a similar build. Have you thought about a military type connection with the loop so you can get more articulation from it? There is a perfect picture of what I am talking on this site. www.sierra4x4trailers.com
Precision guess work done here.

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 12:12:48 AM »
Yea I wish I had a military trailer to start with, and have considered using a pintle or lunette style hitch, but going along with the budget-minded theme I used the conventional hitch I already had on the side of my house.  With the 2 overloads removed on the stock toy springs Im hoping that the trailer suspension itself will provide enough flex...

Oh and the tongue is gusseted, its hard to see in the pics but it has boxed triangular gussets tying it to the front of the frame, like this:

and will have more such gussets under the first 2 floor supports also.  BTW alot of this is just mocked up and tacked in place for now....it will be far more roadworthy before its maiden voyage, haha.

I wish i could do a conventional 'V' type bracing on the tongue but theres no room with my swing up jack...

splasher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 08:23:43 AM »
it would blow your budget, but a lockable tongue box up front would be handy too. When I build my own I plan to plumb mine with propane so I'll have a lantern/stove tree for a mobile base camp. A couple pop up poles for an awning would be sweet too.....

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 11:55:44 AM »
http://store.colemans.com/cart/pintle-hitch-p-1459.html?currency=USD These guys have the pintle hitch for 35$. I'm no expert but it may be worth it. Amazon had a few also. I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 02:29:16 PM »
Now I'm just throwing out ideas because I have a similar build in mind but you could also put a receiver on the back of the trailer for a bike rack.

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »
All great ideas guys....
The main other innovation i have been kicking around is the incorporation of a 16-20 gallon water tank, pump, and rv shower nozzle setup either in the front of the inside of the trailer or literally in front of the trailer like where a tongue box would be... I think a plentiful supply of water like that would beat the heck out of bottles and stuff when it comes to washing food, hands, and even showering.

Also, what would you recommend as far as awning supports?  Im wanting something that can collapse to under 5 feet so I could store them in the upper framerails of the trailer and create a little door that latches shut.  That would be sweet to have the poles inside one rail and the rolled up awning in the other...maximum storage usage!!

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
If you had two post that connected to the trailer for stability and two on the opposite side with ropes tethered to the ground like most tent set ups you should be good. Google Image camp awning and there is a few pics of what I am talking about. Standard post break down small enough to stuff into a ABS plastic tube with threaded caps that could be mounted any where. That could be purchased cheap at a home center.

splasher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 08:23:18 AM »
Just weld some sort of "stake pocket" onto the trailer frame rails for the posts to index into, this would give a constant dimension AND a solid mount. Cover could be as simple as a correctly sized tarp tethered to the nearest stationary object, or you could get all complicated and fab something up.....

crawlerdad is right 2 poles and a sensible cover should easily roll up tight enough to fit into an ABS tube for storage.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:35:48 PM by splasher »

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 08:59:17 AM »
I bet you could get your water tank, pump and whatever you needed from a salvaged motor home.

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 04:25:45 PM »
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_516873_imageset_01? Check this out here is your shower found it in another chat area.

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 10:41:46 PM »
Exactly... how nice would access to plenty of clean water be? With a tank, little pump and nozzle and one of those tents, I'd be sittin pretty.  The one night camping trips arent bad but after that, you don't wanna be within 10feet of my stench... A shower would be awesome!

00taco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 156
  • Member since Feb '09
  • Cant wait to do SAS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »
A bilge pump like the one you would use in a boat would work well as long as you could turn it on and off, then you would be able to get the water out easy when your finished with it.

splasher

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 11:31:14 PM »
Exactly... how nice would access to plenty of clean water be? With a tank, little pump and nozzle and one of those tents, I'd be sittin pretty.  The one night camping trips arent bad but after that, you don't wanna be within 10feet of my stench... A shower would be awesome!
Not that I disagree about the shower.....but.....baby wipes, wash the parts that stink, marine shower whatever you wanna call it. Baby wipes are sure alot easier to deal with then a water tank and delivery system.

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 12:33:46 AM »
I swear Ive had weekends out where baby wipes wouldn't have done the trick, and if i go longer than a day or two without a good rinse I start chaffing in places to the point where my good time is over in a hurry!

Plus we're guys, so therefore we are supposed to come up with elaborate solutions to simple problems and spend way to much time trying to make them work, right?

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 07:36:43 AM »
I would keep the shower simple with a water bag type shower that way you could get water from a stream warm it up and use it. That way you don't need to bring a 100 gallon tank. When I'm camping with the wife I find it nice to knock my stink off before I try to get frisky. On some trips I've gotten stinky enough that I don't even want to touch myself. 

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 01:49:23 PM »
i had a plan to make onboard hot water/shower setup.  bilge pump is what i was going to use.  its already set up for 12v and you can get pretty big ones.  get a low flow shower head and ur set.  now to warm up the water, there are several ways you could do this.  most include you coiling up copper tubing to flow water through.  ive heard you add heating element from your radiator. 

I dont have any way to draw this now but ill explain it.  get a 2-3" tube, plumb water from radiator to said tube.  coil a copper tube inside so hot radiator water flows around said copper tube.  now have the copper tubing exit 2-3" tube from the sides.  theres a heating element.

option B, but a 12v heating element for an RV hot water heater and do something similar.

option C, my idea and i like best. lol  Take coper tubing wrap it around your exhaust, wrap that with exhaust tape to stop it from rattling, plumb the copper tubing to your back bumper so that you can have an In/Out for hot water.  theres a heating element.

You can do one of 2 things, have the bilge pump in a bucket you stand it and just recycle your water, or throw it in a stream.

Im sure you can figure out how to run hot and cold and have a nice shower setup.  I priced it out, for an entire on board hot/cold water shower setup it would cost me around $150 for all tubing, shower head, hoses, pump, wire, the works.  Thats with my option C.  Im a firm believer on being able to make your truck as versatile and have as many mods as you can w/o having them get in the way of each other. lol =) enjoy camping in comfort w/o the RV. lol
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

82juguete [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 10:55:12 PM »
Now doesnt a bilge pump need to be submerged in the water?  So if I wanted to run say a 16gallon tank with the 3/8 outlets wouldnt i need some sort of 12v inline pump, since those tanks are sealed up besides the small inlets and outlets.  I like the exhaust idea but would also like to be able to run the shower setup on the trailer INDEPENDENT of the truck if necessary, so im thinking some sort of propane alternative as a heating element and a rechargeable powerstation to run the pump maybe?

Just throwin around ideas, i gotta finish the basic trailer first haha....