Author Topic: Motorcycle Riders  (Read 127780 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Riders
« Reply #660 on: May 11, 2011, 10:49:07 PM »
edit:  double post
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 12, 2011, 12:06:42 AM »
we are born to die,
I dont plan on it any time soon tho.
I lost a friend, and had another badly hurt 11 years ago,
they were on the hwy and a old lady pulled out in front of them,
they were doin 70 and slowed down to 45 but both hit her,
they were both new riders and both had just bought there bikes a few months earlier.
just watch out, we have all had some close calls.

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 24, 2011, 02:23:46 PM »
Found a decent deal on a V-max.  Thinkin' about snaggin' it.  Anyone have experience with one?
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #663 on: May 24, 2011, 07:25:24 PM »
Found a decent deal on a V-max.  Thinkin' about snaggin' it.  Anyone have experience with one?
They rock!! I ride one, look back on the last page about halfway down. They are fast fast fast. What year is it? The 85 and 86 models are fastest. We have an 85 and two 93s. I love it
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 24, 2011, 07:58:58 PM »
Great for going fast in a straight line.  Huge, heavy engine with lots of power.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #665 on: May 24, 2011, 09:03:54 PM »
Great for going fast in a straight line.  Huge, heavy engine with lots of power.
It does take alot to turn it thru corners but after riding it three seasons I have mastered it.
It has a "v boost" at 6 grand and it feels like a shot of nitrous. The carbs turn on in unison and gets a boost. A v boost upgrade is available to where you can switch it on a 3 grand and go faster in a shorter time. Tjey are great bikes if you are into speed.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #666 on: May 24, 2011, 09:07:52 PM »
Well I finally went and took the MSF course and got my M1 license so now im fully legit to ride anytime anywhere, now I just need to get my ike fixed again...Although Id really like to find an F3 in good condition for cheap.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 28, 2011, 05:33:43 PM »
Good to hear, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for you  :thumbs:

Got caught on the bike in the torrential downpoor a little while ago.  Wasn't cold as long as I was moving at speed, but got stuck in traffic with some cars that were going slower and started getting soaked, then the hail hit and I had to dial it down a little.  Got home and was talking to my roommate outside, kinda pointed my arm down and tan water came running out the sleeve of the jacket  :ack:
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 28, 2011, 06:36:02 PM »
Channel 7 said you guys got hammered.... had video of heavy rain, then hail.  :ack:

All we got was occasional light showers, and breezy.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 28, 2011, 11:23:36 PM »
Yup, it was pretty fricking heavy  :gap:  Tires seemed to do pretty well, even at freeway speeds in basically standing water.  Lane changes didn't feel sketchy, even doing them somewhat quickly, but I did dial it down for a couple on-ramps.  Fun is fun, but no sense in taking it too far!

I did watch a video on youtube last night of a riding instructor doing a rainy track day on a set of michelins I'm considering, and I was quite impressed with the lean angles he was still able to achieve!  Not fully kneedown, but still more of a lean than you'd expect.  Might dig it up tomorrow and post it here.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #671 on: May 31, 2011, 08:18:50 PM »
Good to hear, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for you  :thumbs:

Got caught on the bike in the torrential downpoor a little while ago.  Wasn't cold as long as I was moving at speed, but got stuck in traffic with some cars that were going slower and started getting soaked, then the hail hit and I had to dial it down a little.  Got home and was talking to my roommate outside, kinda pointed my arm down and tan water came running out the sleeve of the jacket  :ack:

I got caught in the rain acouple weeks ago riding my buddys F3 back from dunsmuir and as long as I stayed in a tuck and moving I really didnt get wet. It was a nice change from my nighthawk where any water on the road at all and you get soaked since theres nothing to hide behind at all.

I think Im gonna start saving though and try to pick up an older CBR 600. I really like the riding position and I felt more comfortable on the ride from redding to sac than I do on my nighthawk. Only problem is keeping my speed down...Its not a problem on the nighthawk since its not very fast but on the F3 I look down and find myself cruising at 100 all the time
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: Jun 01, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »
Sweet  :thumbs:  You know I'm a big fan of the cbr 600, and if you have other riding experience under your belt like yourself, they're a great gateway sportbike!  Dependable little tanks with very few issues, and very track-worthy if you choose to do some track days later on.  The hard part is finding one that hasn't been flogged unmerciful by some jackass, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg too. 

When you start getting some saved and are getting pretty close, let me know and I'll start more aggressively checking barf for you.  For that matter, it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to start checking the site yourself to see what's out there and what it'll cost.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: Jun 13, 2011, 10:51:26 PM »
Well, after about a 7 year break, it looks like I'll finally be doing a track day at thunderhill raceway  :bananasplit:

Looks like I'll be riding on my craptastic bridgestones, so I'll be running a slower pace.  I'd love to have better tires, but it's just been such a pita trying to find some in my price range in good shape.  No worries, I'll just be happy to again get in some laps!
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: Jun 17, 2011, 09:22:17 AM »
We showed up to an incredibly windy track, but aside from being utterly beat by the wind, the day went quite well.  There were a couple spots where the wind would reposition you on the bike and change your line, a couple where it'd slam your head to the side, and a couple where it'd help you gain speed while braking for a corner.  Seemed like you were working about 33% harder to go even slower, but it was still a blast.

The bike worked nearly flawlessly and the tires held up much better than anticipated.  I did catch myself coming into corners hotter than I wanted to on those tires and just backed off a little, but I only had 1 slide and it was because I started pushing before the tires were warm.  I took pics of my tires with my phone as the day went on, but only took a couple later in the day with the camera.  I did hit 1 false neutral going into turn 1 at about 130 and just had to run wide and slow down enough to where the shift forks would again engage without damaging anything.

The most surprising thing to me was how well I felt all day.  Took until the 2nd or 3rd from last session before my hand started cramping up enough to bother me, which usually happens almost right away.  I bought one of those 14" bouncy balls to squeeze between my legs to try to keep my hips from going out and it definitely helped.  I'm a little sore today, but it's nothing I can't work with!

I only have a couple pics of the tires and the bike at rest, but I'll try to get them downloaded after work and post them up.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: Jun 17, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »
Most my pics.  Thought I took one more toward the end of the day showing the bigger dingleballs on the rear tire.  I'll snap another before they wear off on the street.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2011, 10:25:36 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: Jun 17, 2011, 11:09:34 PM »
I remember racing covered wagons as a boy and having to pick off the dingleballs before my father saw them!

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: Jun 18, 2011, 06:42:06 AM »
I remember racing covered wagons as a boy and having to pick off the dingleballs before my father saw them!
Better dingleballs than dingleberries!  :therethere:

Nate, it sounds like you had a great time -- and those tire pics brought a big smile to my face! Glad you were able to go (finally!) and that the Bridgestones did a good job for ya.  :thumbs:

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: Jun 19, 2011, 10:46:24 PM »
RIP KYOTA

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #679 on: Jun 19, 2011, 11:21:57 PM »
Got to ride with my dad today for fathers day. Got out the ol trusty V maxes and met up with a buddy of ours who rides a 82 CB900F. It was a great ride, loud and fast.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #680 on: Jun 23, 2011, 10:19:17 PM »
Took another ride today. Went about 200 miles. God I love that Vmax!!
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
Arizona Riders
« Reply #681 on: Jun 28, 2011, 07:03:19 PM »
Damn it all, I hate to see stuff like this. Two riders from Arizona (they lived 1/2 hour from each other) were just involved in separate motorcycle crashes in my NorCal county. One yesterday did not survive; one today (on a different highway) is in the hospital. I wonder if it's a tragic coincidence or if they had been riding together?

Be careful out there, guys. Ya just never know....   :down:

http://www.redding.com/news/2011/jun/28/arizona-man-killed-motorcycle-wreck-trinity-county/
http://www.redding.com/news/2011/jun/28/eastbound-lane-highway-299-blocked-after-wreck-bet/

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: Jun 28, 2011, 11:31:37 PM »
That sucks
RIP KYOTA

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #684 on: Jul 03, 2011, 02:44:11 AM »
that guy is crazy... every corner layin it just perfect and barely scrapin floorboards

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: Jul 03, 2011, 06:36:22 PM »
If you ever get a chance to watch a motorcop demonstration, do it!  These guys log a shitton of miles and are often incredibly good riders.  I've watched rpd scrape thier floorboards in corners around town, seemingly just for fun  :haha:
RIP KYOTA

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: Jul 03, 2011, 08:14:49 PM »
If you ever get a chance to watch a motorcop demonstration, do it!  These guys log a shitton of miles and are often incredibly good riders.  I've watched rpd scrape thier floorboards in corners around town, seemingly just for fun  :haha:

The other end of the spectrum is the pimply faced, butt monger on the 600 crotch rocket behind you at the longest light in history...blippin' his throttle every 15 seconds, either he doesn't know bikes will actually idle or he thinks the traffic light can sense his impatience and will accomodate his whims. Then for the creme de la mort...I turn...into the inside lane, he goes outside...blasts the throttle, gets wide and hits sand...he ended up in a bus stop shelter.

I laughed.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: Jul 03, 2011, 09:42:35 PM »
We have a handfull of tools like that here, but they redline at stop lights, not just blip the throttle.  I completely ignore them when on mine.  Unfortunately there's no IQ test provided prior to acquiring a license  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #688 on: Jul 06, 2011, 02:26:36 PM »
Sad to say i was one of them at one time. Lucky for me I never laid it down or got hurt. Now I teach the MSF course and I see people like that come through the course and are just stupid. I ride my 954rr A LOT and the only traffic violation I have EVER recieved is for 5 over in F---ing Wyoming on I-80. Now that made me mad. The cop even said "at these speeds I can't just let you go." Jerk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: Jul 06, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »
After I get back to a decent track pace, I really want to ride a 954 on the track  :gap:  Much rather that than a 1000rr.
RIP KYOTA