Author Topic: Exhaust... why does it have to be so difficult.... especially when choosing???  (Read 7161 times)

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
So here i was skimming through the forum reading about everyone's trucks when it hit me...."I NEED NEW EXHAUST".... and it's just not the fact i want exhaust... really really badly, it's that i also will be needing to have it replaced within the next 6 month's or so.

So here is my question to ya'll: Should i go complete custom, or should i buy an already made ehaust system??? With the cutom i can get my exhaust guy to tuck it up under the truck as far as possible.... Along with that, i was thinking either Flomaster or Magna Flow... WHICH ONE???I love both there sounds, but which one performes better??

Please help

military_stang
:respect:

Bass Man

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Oct '06
  • I came to the Dark Side.
    • View Profile
Do it custom, you will thank yourself later (when you are hugging a fallen tree with your t-case skid)...

I grew up liking flowmaster, and I have heard a 96 Toyota with a 40 series and it is a beatiful thing.

It really depends on your vehicle.  you never stated.
I myself have 2" pipe from the exhuast manifold to the cherrybomb above my axle and it sounds really mellow and beafy, and rich when I stomp it...  I want a 40 series though.
Stock 82 LWB on 33's welded in the rear.  Amazes me!  Been through 4 motors in 2 months though...

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Go custom with a 2.25" pipe, with a high flow cat and a basic cheapo turbo muffler!  I hate noisy 4cylinders especially when your out hunting and some stupid kid with a loud illegal exhaust comes up and ruins your only decent shot at an animal you've had all season!  Or to have a nice peaceful drive in the woods ruined by somebody with loud exhaust you can hear for three canyons away! 

For what you guys pay for one flowmaster/magnaflow muffler, I can have an entire exhaust system done!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
If I were you, I'd skip the flowmaster 40 series.  Try to find something that'll give ya good sound, and add to the preformance, but not be overbearing.  I've got a 40 series on my truck, and it gets really old when the only thing I can hear is my own truck when I'm wheelin :headshake: its coming off real soon.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Find a decent shop locally. If you can find one that has done 4xs before it makes it easier. They should be able to bend you a complete system with a muffler for around the same cost of a replacement name brand kit that will run the pipes in the stock location.
"between projects"

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
i did my own exaust and the first time i did it i used one of the cheapo turbo mufflers from auto zone it sucked then i swapped in a flowmaster 40 and there was a noticable power gain

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I ran one of those cheapo turbo mufflers, and after about 8 months it started coming apart.  I've been running glasspacks since without issue, but they're loud and raspy in the uppers revs.  I snagged a magnaflow new off ebay for less than $35 bucks, but I'm not going to put it on till I put on my other header.  I personally don't like flowmasters, but that's mostly becuase if you have louder exhaust people usually say "you must have flowmasters!".  I really like the design and quality of the magnaflow though, very well built.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
I am currently running a high flow cat, header, and a 40 series flowmaster and it's not too loud.  Just make sure to have some pipe after the muffler if you want it quieter.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
if you ask me  if you cant look thru the muffler  its  too restrictive  :burnout:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Glasspack is the way I've always gone when re-doing my exhaust, like Glen said "If you can't look through the muffler it's too restrictive".
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Oh yea, I have no cat, so it goes header-pipe-glasspack-pipe-glasspack(WAY too loud with only one)-pipe-turndown.  I still get complaints it's too loud, but it helps kill idle conversation on trips :yesnod:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I always removed my cat and threw in a bypass for later smog checks, I only used the small Cherry Bomb glasspack and it wasn't that loud on my 4Runner, but it was loud on the trucks. I think it had something to do with being a turbo. :dunno:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
glasspacks belong on toyotas.. no other muffler .
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I always removed my cat and threw in a bypass for later smog checks, I only used the small Cherry Bomb glasspack and it wasn't that loud on my 4Runner, but it was loud on the trucks. I think it had something to do with being a turbo. :dunno:

I think you're right there, turbos should quiet everything down some.
RIP KYOTA

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
So everyone likes glasspacks....

military_stang

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
dont ever put a magna flow on a 4cly toy. nothing worse than taking your wheeler out for a drive and you sound like a ricer. don ask me how i know. 40 series are sweet sounding as long as you stick to 2.25 all the way out. if you cut it off before the rear axle the cab will always hum in side. glass packs are for people on the cheap nothing else i have changed my exust so many time it hurt to think about. if you want performance get a the new flowmaster crawler series and a high flow cat great sound but not over powering.
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
my truck has the 3.0L, and i was really thinking of going with the high flow magna flow cat and muffler.... does this sound good or not??? and are people going with just single exhaust or has anyone done dual???

military_stang

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
3.0 sound awsome with just a single exhust. dual would work but why pay extra to route around the gas tank. whan performance gain would next to none. the magna flow high flow cat and muffler should sound great. if i had a recorder i would get you a clip of my buddies 3.0 with a flow master and 2.25 all the way out. the differece between a magna flow and flowmaster would be that the flowmaster is going to out last the magna flow. the magna flows last good on a car but on a offroad vehicle they break rather quickly. you can dirive over a flowmaster and nothing will happen and magna flow will crush like a tin can.
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Really now, thats crazy... i didn't think of the magnaflow like  that. I have see the inside of the flowmaster and didn't really like it because i didn't like all the fins... but if it will work better on the trail and sound better, then thats what i am talking about.

I know my 3.slow isn't a V8, but i want it to sound mean as hell, i want it to be freaking mean.... is it going to happen, prolly not. But i want it to be mean as possible..

military_stang

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
oh ya, should i wait till i get new headers to get the new exhaust, or could i do it before??? What soes everyone else do????

military_stang

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
Really now, thats crazy... i didn't think of the magnaflow like  that. I have see the inside of the flowmaster and didn't really like it because i didn't like all the fins... but if it will work better on the trail and sound better, then thats what i am talking about.

I know my 3.slow isn't a V8, but i want it to sound mean as hell, i want it to be freaking mean.... is it going to happen, prolly not. But i want it to be mean as possible..

military_stang
if you want sound mean than go with 2.5 all the way out and a flow master. i hate to sound like they are the best thing in the world but i havent found a better built muffler. plus if you order one from summit racing they through in a free pair of machanics gloves.
yotas 4 life homie!

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
If you want it to sound mean as hell, go with a straight pipe.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Straight pipe for the ultimate in mean sound. Otherwise I generally dislike the sound of loud 6 bangers so I would keep it quiet.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

Rainer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
I would go with a flowmaster. I had a second rate custum exhaust under my bronco and yeah it sounded good, But my friends POS Bravada witha custom flow master super 40 series muffler sounded better than my 5.0l V8 and he had a 4.3l V6. So that should help.

Mark
!!!FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE!!!!!!!!
1985 Toyota 4runner
22re rebuilt(offroad cam, internalls from enginebuilder)
5.29s with elockers f/r (high pinion front, v6 rear)
3inch suspensions 2 inch body
33 inch mixed tires. (bfg at, firestone at?)

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
I run a stock toyota muffler that may get swaped out later. When it does I.m gonna go whith a flowmaster hushpower muffler. I wheeled whith a toyota this weekend whith one and it sounded great, and its compact size allowed it to tuck under the cab nicely.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
you want mean  MUAHAHAHAHAHAH    invery the headers,  cut the tubes off and run  each cylinder exhaust thru the hood  :willynilly:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
you want mean  MUAHAHAHAHAHAH    invery the headers,  cut the tubes off and run  each cylinder exhaust thru the hood  :willynilly:

That is my dream!!!!!!!!!!!

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
HAHA, now thats hot....

military_stang

toyotatuner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Flowies all the way buddie, I get comments from idiots all the time, "is that a v8 :hahaha:"
I have a 22re, 40 series, 2-1/4" header back, never installed a header yeat, but i imagine the one i buy the outlet will match the 2-1/4" tubing....i ended up paying 320, installed, bent, tucked, complete w/ new 40 series, gaskets, & cat removal.(lack of welder & bender, i had to pay, if i could do it, i would)
a 3.slo might do well with 2.5" but i have no experience w/ them so i cannot say, seems that it might do, the main thing is that you do not want to loose backpressure, very vital in proper exhaust setup.
I am very satisfied with mine (40 series) it is agressive, like others have said, it is loud sometimes, with proper shifting and crusing speeds, that thing sounds sooooooooooooooooooo sweet. Flowmaster=American Thunder
Oh, and if the tip points slightly to the ground, it bounces back, and almost "amplifys" the sound.
-Johnny

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile