Author Topic: Exhaust... why does it have to be so difficult.... especially when choosing???  (Read 7160 times)

Rainer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
Wow $320 :shocking:

That is actually a very good price for a flow master. My friend paid almost 450 dollars for his super 40 series and all the custom bends, it is a catback system to.

Mark
!!!FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE!!!!!!!!
1985 Toyota 4runner
22re rebuilt(offroad cam, internalls from enginebuilder)
5.29s with elockers f/r (high pinion front, v6 rear)
3inch suspensions 2 inch body
33 inch mixed tires. (bfg at, firestone at?)

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i paid 300 for a 40 seires flowmaster and full custom 2.25" pipe from the manifold back.  and i love it.  Great sound
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Reading this make me more and more excited to get my new exhaust, but it's not going to be but another two months before i can get it, (getting engaged soon).... but i will take what everyone said and get the 40 series flowmaster... thank's ya'll for your help....

military_stang
:respect:

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile

That is actually a very good price for a flow master. My friend paid almost 450 dollars for his super 40 series and all the custom bends, it is a catback system to.

Mark
i paid 300 for a 40 seires flowmaster and full custom 2.25" pipe from the manifold back.  and i love it.  Great sound

I paid 300$ for true dual 3" from the headers back with an H pipe with new Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers on my big block 3500 GMC. Where are you guys getting your stuff done? I had my yota exhaust done for $75 installed. Had I bought a 50$ flowmaster muffler it would have been $100.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

Rainer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
I paid 300$ for true dual 3" from the headers back with an H pipe with new Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers on my big block 3500 GMC. Where are you guys getting your stuff done? I had my yota exhaust done for $75 installed. Had I bought a 50$ flowmaster muffler it would have been $100.

My friend had his done at Mile high muffler here in Denver Colorado.

Mark
!!!FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE!!!!!!!!
1985 Toyota 4runner
22re rebuilt(offroad cam, internalls from enginebuilder)
5.29s with elockers f/r (high pinion front, v6 rear)
3inch suspensions 2 inch body
33 inch mixed tires. (bfg at, firestone at?)

toyotatuner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
I went to the only reliable muffler shop arond here...i could have went to Midas  :rofl2: but, they wanted a lot more, is all i can remember, and they were going to put my cat back in. I WISH i had the tools to do it myself. Maybe someday. All in all, I was very satisfied.
-Johnny

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
:haha: $300

I paid a bit over that for my exhaust... over course I'm including the header... And i thought things in Socal were expensive.  :shocking:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
I went to the only reliable muffler shop arond here...i could have went to Midas  :rofl2: but, they wanted a lot more, is all i can remember, and they were going to put my cat back in. I WISH i had the tools to do it myself. Maybe someday. All in all, I was very satisfied.
-Johnny
Don't go to Midas or Meineke whatever you do please. Unless you want an incompetent 16 year old working on your rig :shake:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Bass Man

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Oct '06
  • I came to the Dark Side.
    • View Profile
Man!  You guys are making it painful with your pricetags...  On my sammy, I got got $10 worth of 2" Exhaust pipe (5 feet to be exact) and a $21 Cherry Bomb...

I have heard that even though you can see through a Cherry bomb, it creates more backpressure than a 40 series.  They  did a test and got 3LBS of exhaust pressure on a Cherry bomb, and 8 lbs on a 40 series...  I guess they put the Bomb on backwords...

On my sammy, the Glasspack is half on the gas tank (not litterally, but from a sideview, that is what it looks like.) and so I finished off the system with a peice of pipe I found that looks like a tip already.  After that, It sounded really nice at idle--  really nice...  and it gave me 20% faster throttle responce.

Progressions in my exhuast system:
Took off the Cat and replaced with 2 1/4" industrial pipe (thicker than exhaust pipe) and gave me more power.
Straigh-piped 1 1/2" industrial pipe and sounded like a ricer, and it sounded Hick-fabbed and cheap.
Put on the glasspack and made it sound better, but noticed I was getting 15 MPG...  I knew why.
Bought 5 feet of 2" exhuast pipe to replace the industrial pipe.  Added a TON of power and LOTS of throttle responce, but it still sounded rice-y...  I knew why.
I finished it off with the indurstial pipe before and forgot about it...  Then remembered and cut it out of the tip to replace with a 2 1/2" tip...

With the doors off, going down the road, It will overpower everything you hear at 2500 RPM with a nice, clean sound, and at 4500 it starts to whine and sound like a ricer...  When you punch it from idle, it will get up to 6000 and at that time, you will be antisipating a "Flamethrower" from the sparks.  lol.
Stock 82 LWB on 33's welded in the rear.  Amazes me!  Been through 4 motors in 2 months though...

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Has everyone seen a gas milage change (as far as better) after an exhaust change???

military_stang
:respect:

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Gas milage will go down, since you'll be thrashing it to hear your engine in all its glory...  :thumbs:  :driving:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Don't go to Midas or Meineke whatever you do please. Unless you want an incompetent 16 year old working on your rig :shake:

You just gotta know the person. I know the guys fairly well at my local midas and they are really good. They have all been there a long time and do awesome work. But I understand that normally chain stores are garbage and have fools running the equipment. They hang all my stuff very rigid and up nice and high. I need to go pay them a visit soon. I am thinking of getting an old glasspack and having them run a pipe through the center of it giving the illusion of a muffler. Many trails require a muffler so I will have one ha ha. If its too loud you are too old!!
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough