Author Topic: Back from the dead, 92 xtra cab!  (Read 100585 times)

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
So to put it simply, you fucked up. :yesnod:

hollywood_toy90

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
if thats how you want to put it  :heavy:.  it'll still wheel like a MO FO!!  especially with what he picking up this weekend!! :bananajumprope: :bananasplit: :banana:

hollywood_toy90

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
if thats how you want to put it  :heavy:.  it'll still wheel like a MO FO!!  especially with what he is picking up this weekend!! :bananajumprope: :bananasplit: :banana:

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
  it really does make sense, REALLY!!!! 
It does???  :rofl2: .I guess as long as it makes sence to you and your buddy it's all good,right?.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
So to put it simply, you flopped up. :yesnod:
   :talkingn:  :rofl2:
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

hollywood_toy90

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Infernal has threatened to beat me down at the Round Up so i best stop talking crap about his work place.  Real classy for a 30 year old. 

P.S. i have all pro springs and they still flex like a MO FO!   

hollywood_toy90

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
but back in topic, there is a sweet surprise coming tomorrow!!!

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
Well it sure sucks that I had to have lasik on thursday, I havn't been able to read.  I only read a little and replied to a few PM's and that was it.
Anyway, I will respond to everything in order.]

Just cruising by, and I thought I'd offer my two cents for ya. Take it for what it cost ya - nothing!

I just installed a beadlock kit, and I have a few things to point out about the Rockstomper kit. If you need more width on the rims, I guess welding them on top of the lip works. However, from a welding stand point, this appears to be less material to get to. I had a kit that fit inside the lip, and grinding, I would think would be easier as well as welding - standing above it as opposed to rolling it around. I guess that might not matter much because you weld in small strips. Also, these kits are a lot more than the going rate seems to be. $80 / kit is kinda pricey. That doesn't include an anti-cone ring, either, and you may want to check into that.

I'll recommend the kit I have because it was easy to install and seems to be pretty darn tough to beat for the price. Tennessee Offroad makes the kit, and you can find more info here - http://bb.tennesseeoffroad.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=015924#000000 Hopefully my post makes sense, and if you've already ordered no big deal. I'm just hoping to save ya some coin and possibly recommend what I think to be a better product.

Good luck with your shackle angle, though. I'd be pissed too!!!  :tantrum:

Yes, $80 a kit is a little steep compared to the normal $50-60 range. However rockstopmer is close to my house, and I enjoy supporting my local rock crawling team!  One thing that I really like about not grinding the lip is the extra surface area that you get when sealing the tire.  If you check out their site it explains more.
However thanks for the constructive input!

Wait a sec...what did All Pro do? They sent you the wrong springs?

No they did not, they sent me the right springs. Its is my fault for not checking the dimensions of the springs.
However I am still pissed. Mostly at my self for not checking it against marlins springs.  I set it up using all marlin parts, and all pro springs.  I sacristy blamed all-pro (anyone who knows me IE hollywood, and KDC, knows that I am a very sarcastic person and no matter what really happens I never get very mad.)

From the picture on All-pro's set up instructions, it looks like you put the shackle hanger in the wrong place.

The rear shackle hanger is a tube that is welded into the frame. In order to properly place the tubes in the proper place special jigs are provided in the kit. Install the right jig on the passenger side and the left jig on the drivers side of the truck. The jig should be placed onto the frame and slid forward until it is stopped by the body mount. The center of the hole in the jig should be aprox 45" from the front of the frame. Tack weld the jigs in place and then drill a 1 3/4" hole through the frame with a hole saw or torch. Insert the tubes into the frame. The tubes should be placed so that the are offset to the outside of the frame by 1/4". Tack weld the tubes in place for now.

Using the supplied bushings, shackles and bolts mount the leaf springs. Once satisfactory shackle angle has been verified finish welding the front spring hanger and tubes into place. The shackle jigs can be removed or welded into place with the tubes.

All too true!

Well you should be pissed,you welded the frame tubes in the wrong spot  :shake:  .Sorry dude,your mistake has nothing to do with All-Pro's springs.It looks like you put the jiggs on the wrong sides.

My jigs are right, they are marlins.  No it has nothing to do with all pros short springs.

So to put it simply, you fucked up. :yesnod:
DING DING DING!

Now a few words before we get back on track. Fist off, this is MY build, not yours, if you don't like it than you do not need to read it.

Second, my comments toward all pro were sarcastic.  There springs seem to be high quality springs, and I bought them because they were on sale, and my friend (hollywood) has had great success with his.

Third, DO NOT THREATEN MY FRIENDS, over the net or any other place for that matter. Do not attack theirs or my intelligence.  If you don't like something we do, please by all means speak up, however like all posts except those by infernal has made, keep it constructive, and too the point. I DON'T GIVE A RATS ASS WHO YOU WORK FOR, YOUR JUST ANOTHER PERON ON THE NET!!

And last, before all of this needs to be dropped on my build!! I will be sending all pro an e-mail regarding the threatening of my friend in a child like manner by one of their employees. Because of this behavior, I will never purchase from them again, and neither will hollywood. We have never had a problem with one of their products that wasn't our own, and all have seemed to be high quality. However, I expect to be treated in an adult manner by all companies and there employees, and I am sorry but threatening to beat someone up period, much less over the net is just ridiculous.

So PLEASE drop ALL of the side chatter so I can get on with my build!

And like hollywood said, something sweet will be arriving my garage tomorrow afternoon!
Thanks
PZ
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 07:39:05 PM by Phazertwo »
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
It's time to relax buddy, don't get all E-Vindictive.
Peps is a cool guy, and if he actually did say that, I'm sure he was provoked. He would never kick someone's ass on the trail for no reason. :greengrin:

KDC

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 153
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since May '05
  • Axle Breaking Goodness
    • View Profile
And like hollywood said, something sweet will be arriving my garage tomorrow afternoon!
Thanks
PZ

Well, what is it, already?  I just can't quite figure it out!

KDC

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Axle Breaking Goodness
    • View Profile
(anyone who knows me IE hollywood, and KDC, knows that I am a very sarcastic person and no matter what really happens I never get very mad.)

This is true.  I'm sure Phazertwo was more mad at himself than at All Pro, and didn't intend to start an e-Feud.  I don't know if I have ever seen him really mad, and I've known him for like 8 years! lol  Let's all just  :chillpill: and make up  :ladys-man:.

hollywood_toy90

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
 :beerchug:

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Wow, I really came into your thread at a bad time  :beerwhack:

I didn't realize Rockstomper is local, so that makes sense.

What if you sold the All-Pro springs and bought Marlin's since they're setup for that? I'm not sure if you're asking for a solution, but I thought I'd offer  :biggthumpup:

Lookin' good, mayne!  :yesnod:

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
This is one of my options. However I need the truck for memorial day wheeling, so I will have to live with these springs for now.  I could switch to Marlin springs, but more likely I will move my steering box and go rears up front. However I don't think I will do that until at LEAST this fall. But we shall see how much I like it the way it is, if its bad it will be done sooner, if its ok it will be done later! Thanks for the input.
PZ

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
SURPRISE!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

hollywood_toy90

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
 :headscratch:    hhhmmmm..... i wonder what that is?

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
ARB? :headscratch:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
ARB? :headscratch:

YES! DING DING DING. However it is a RD01, so it will not fit in my HP.  The catch is, Hollywood has a RD23 in a 4-banger diff.  Hopfully get them swaped in a few weeks!
PZ

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
DIG IT!
Stopped by rock-stomper this after noon!

Still gunna be some FUGLY rims

Lots of  :flamer: to do!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
YES! DING DING DING. However it is a RD01, so it will not fit in my HP.  The catch is, Hollywood has a RD23 in a 4-banger diff.  Hopfully get them swaped in a few weeks!
PZ

:woohoo: what do i win?!

DIG IT!
Stopped by rock-stomper this after noon!

Still gunna be some FUGLY rims

Lots of  :flamer: to do!

what color you painting the outter rings?
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
:woohoo: what do i win?!

what color you painting the outter rings?

YOU WIN A WEB  :beer: ENJOY! LOL

And I will be painting them black. Generic like crazy I know, but I don't want to draw much attraction to those ugly things.
PZ

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
i was think it may make them a little more attractive.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

KDC

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Axle Breaking Goodness
    • View Profile
Nice, dude.  Can't wait to see it!

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 652
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
back from the previous page

i had the same problem with my shackle angle too, i put them in the right place and used trail gear springs but it still came out all :pokinit: it settled better but not great either.
 so im debating on going with the rancho 44044
85 toyota pickup(sold)
92 toyota ex cab pickup SAS'd 4d's 27 spline chromos 5:29's and lockrights front and rear arp knuckle studs

my build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=44691.0

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
Yes, I have considered a new spring pack, but for now I need it done. The shackles settled back just a touch from where they were, and I will just have to run it this weekend.  From there I can see how it sits.  I am going to try and grab some first gen rears, and make a mixed pack, however this involves moving my steering box forward, so we shall see when I get all of that done.

As for the bead locks. I sucked it up on the first one, but I found the groove :banana: and the other three turned out pretty good. However it was still ALOT of this!

But they look pretty good!

I only have one done for now. I need to do some mounting and some leak testing, than I will be good to go. Hopefully get that done tonight!
PZ

KDC

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Axle Breaking Goodness
    • View Profile
Did you figure out the torque of the locks and get that all dialed in?

They do look good.  Holler if you want a hand again.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
wow, those are PIMP!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
Well, all four are mounted now.  However, holding air, thats a different story!  One has held air for the last hour, w/o lousing any. The other three need to have the weld tested for leaks, but I think most of them are leaking from the bead. As KDC suggested, torquing these bad boys is a PIA! Any suggestions are WELCOM!

hollywood_toy90

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
beadlocks are A LOT of work! PIMP is important because holding air is another story!!  we'll get r done though!

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Torquing these bad boys is a PIA! Any suggestions are WELCOME!

I used an impact and a wrench to get them snug, and then I went around in a circle 4 or 5 times getting them slowly torqued to 15 lb/ft. I don't think there is an easy way :(