Author Topic: IFS is gone!! 3.0 Killer on 1 tons  (Read 110504 times)

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
Re: Blackdogs gettin a crawler!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 09:02:50 PM »
cute pup ;)

sheepdog?

Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2006, 09:06:49 PM »
cute pup ;)

sheepdog?

queensland heeler/corgi mix.  Definitely more of the queensland then the corgi.  he's a good dog though, about 13 weeks old, I think. 

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2006, 09:35:36 PM »
gonna love those duals, night and day differance.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jun 02, 2006, 01:54:13 PM »
 :inthedark: found it!  Now that I am done moving, I'm back to work on my truck.  I  plan on throwing the duals in within the week, and then progressing to other things!! :hyper: 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
is it done yet  i wana grind your gears  :driving:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Alright, getting some stuff done, but I need a quick question answered.  I'm wanting to position my new lower shock mounts in the circle on the axle, and position the top mounts on a plate welded to  the crossmember overhead, the classic /\ pattern. My question is, how much of the shock shaft be seen when at ride height?  It seems that about half would make sense, give just as much down travel as up travel, but I :dunno: 

-Ronald Reagan

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
You really need to flex it out to find out.
I had mine all measured out until I flexed it, then I had to move my lower mounts 1" down so they wouldn't bottom.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
You really need to flex it out to find out.
I had mine all measured out until I flexed it, then I had to move my lower mounts 1" down so they wouldn't bottom.

oh alright, fine.    :-\

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2006, 03:49:12 PM by BLACKDOG »

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Man, :headshake: I thought I'd be less busy this summer.  Finally got around to working on my truck today :hyper:  got the adapter plate put on the crawler, and it is almost ready to be thrown in!!  Made a mess out of my truck in the process, and discovered about $8 in change under my seats and carpet.

I do have one question though, how hard should the cralwer be to shift?  the shift rail was barely fit into the hole in the adapter.  Its all together now, and it shifts, but its really stiff :dunno:  is this normal?  I'm guessing that once the transfer case is bolted in, it may be easier to shift since I 'll have some resistance, and the whole case won't be trying to roll over on me. 

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
 :inthedark:

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
 :outtahere:

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I do have one question though, how hard should the cralwer be to shift?  the shift rail was barely fit into the hole in the adapter.  Its all together now, and it shifts, but its really stiff :dunno:  is this normal?  I'm guessing that once the transfer case is bolted in, it may be easier to shift since I 'll have some resistance, and the whole case won't be trying to roll over on me. 

:dunno: anyone? :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
Not that hard.
Did you torque the detent screw properly?

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Not that hard.
Did you torque the detent screw properly?
I didn't know I was supposed to torque it :dunno:  I didn't see that in my instructions. 

I messed with it a little today, shifted it back and forth a few times, and it smoothed out :thumbs: 

Got the crossmember off, that thing was a PITA.  Its hard to work on this thing between work and it getting dark.  :down:  I don't get to work on it tommorow, but Hopefully I'll have the crawler bolted up on thursday :crossed:

-Ronald Reagan

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Hey Blackdog-

It looks like somebody took your SAS and put the IFS back on...

:yikes:
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Hey Blackdog-

It looks like somebody took your SAS and put the IFS back on...

:yikes:

:down: I wish, cause that would mean that I had had a SAS at one point in time. 

Soon Reklund, soon :crossed:  I have the axle, after this gets done, thats the next big $$ project :thumbs:  couldn't afford to do both at the same time, and I figure since the front driveshaft on an IFS doesn't really move much, I can use a square tube driveline, and use the same one with the SAS.  either that or make another one :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
I didn't know I was supposed to torque it :dunno:  I didn't see that in my instructions. 
It's in the FSM "Torque to 9ft. lbs (13nm)

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
It's in the FSM "Torque to 9ft. lbs (13nm)

:thumbs:

That may help :yupyup:

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Didn't get a wholoe lot done today, got the old t-case out, and clearanced the tranny for one of the bolts for the adapter.  I'm going to be getting off work early tommorow, so hopefully I'll get everything bolted back in :crossed:

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I do have a question.  I got a new seal from marlin, but I wasn't exactly sure how it goes in.  I think I figured it out, but I want to confirm before I pull the old seal out and bolt everything together.  Nothing I hate more than to have to redo something because I was stupid :smack:

-Ronald Reagan

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
your last pic you posted is right... i am just going through the exact thing this week....that seal will seal around the input of the new tcase you will put on the back of that tranny.... the v6 adapter "locks in" that seal adapter once its all together....

i think it presses in, sorta, on the tranny end and just fits in the v6 adapter end... i was thinking i would put some sealant on the seal adapter shoulder where it plugs into the v6 adapter  so there is no oil transfer.....
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
your last pic you posted is right... i am just going through the exact thing this week....that seal will seal around the input of the new tcase you will put on the back of that tranny.... the v6 adapter "locks in" that seal adapter once its all together....

i think it presses in, sorta, on the tranny end and just fits in the v6 adapter end... i was thinking i would put some sealant on the seal adapter shoulder where it plugs into the v6 adapter  so there is no oil transfer.....

I put it together, but its more like the way I have it in the 2nd pic.  The coupler doesn't fit in the new seal, so you slide the seal onto the crawl box input, where it locks in, then slide the coupler onto the input, and then attach to the tranny :thumbs:  it all went together just fine. 

Now I have to go find some studs to attach my rear t-case to the adapter.  The bolts that came with it cannot fit in the gap to thread into the holes, so I need to run some studs into the t-case, and then mount it.

pics to come! :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
looking good mang :gap: that's the new adapter for the g-58 trans isn't?
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
looking good mang :gap: that's the new adapter for the g-58 trans isn't?

nah, adapter to use the chain driven t-case behind the 3.0 :thumbs:

its going:

3.0-->R150-->3.0 adapter plate-->crawl box-->MC10 adapter-->Chain driven t-case :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Pictures!! :hyper: :hyper:

1st pic:
shaving the tranny housing (didn't shave enough off :headshake: )

2nd:  Almost done!! (or so I thught)

3rd: :werd:

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
 :clap:

Bit of a problem, but no big deal.  The provided bolts will not fit in the gap between parts of the adpater to thread into the necessary holes.  I simply need to get 3 more studs to thread into the t-case before I bolt it up to the adapter.  :dunno:

Hopefully I'll get the studs tommorow, because it is all downhill from here :hyper:

-Ronald Reagan

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?

:dunno: anyone? :dunno:

Ya I remember mine was difficult to shift initially. One because the assembly grease is way thicker than gear oil, the other because it wasn't mounted. Wait until after you do your first oil change to worry about it. Once the oil works its way in there, there will be a lot less friction to bind it up. :thumbs:
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Ya I remember mine was difficult to shift initially. One because the assembly grease is way thicker than gear oil, the other because it wasn't mounted. Wait until after you do your first oil change to worry about it. Once the oil works its way in there, there will be a lot less friction to bind it up. :thumbs:
Well, thats a relief.  :thumbs:  kinda what I was thinkin :yupyup:

Got some studs and tossed those in the rear t-case, have everything bolted together now :hyper:  went to bolt on the crossmember and ran into ANOTHER snag.  My crossmember mount that bolts to the t-case doesn't quite match up to the crawlbox mount holes :smack:  I was gonna cut and weld the tab a little differently, but wouldn't you know it, the welder I borrowed from spotter's dad doesn't match the 220v plug we have in our house :smack:  So now I am looking for a gear driven t-case mount, so I can continue on.  I may take the peices over to a friends house, see what we can do there, or I may just go see if I can find the mount at an auto parts store : :headscratch:

I swear I'm gonna get this done eventually!!

-Ronald Reagan