Author Topic: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread  (Read 324414 times)

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread
« Reply #750 on: Feb 05, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »
43. Install Rock Lights (All4OffRoad)
44. Install spot lights on front bumper

Got some more work done this week. Starting with the addition of two spot pods to the underside of my front bumper. I opted to countersink the fasteners to keep the look clean on the bumper rather than having a bolt and nut sticking up through the holes. The pods are from a company called Auxbeam that I found on Amazon with glowing reviews. The 2 pods only cost me $20 and I'm very happy with the quality and light output of them.

I also finally installed my 6 rock lights I've had since last summer from All4Offroad. They are very cheap in quality and I had to superglue the frames back to the lights as they fell off with just a slight amount of handling. I don't hold high hopes for them as a buddy in my club has them and has already had 3 failures and hasn't even had them in for 6 months. However I already spent the money on them so I might as well run them. They put out a decent amount of light for how low profile they are so I'll run them until they break and then count it as a lesson learned about that company. I did think ahead however and did my wiring in a manner that I can add lights anywhere on the underside of my truck with very little effort. I ran a positive wire and negative wire in a loop around my frame securing it with zip ties the whole way. This will allow me to swap in some higher quality lights down the road and not have to deal with any wiring other than placing spade connectors on the new lights and plugging them in. I also decided to modify the All4Offroad lights by putting some cheap rare earth magnets on the back of them rather than trying to use the 3M adhesive they came with. This allows me to re-position the lights to achieve the best light coverage as well as is a great mounting solution.

For weatherproofing my new connections that would be subject to the elements I went with something new to me. I found this liquid electrical tape during my research and decided to give it a try. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. Just brush on a couple coats and by all means it appears to be providing excellent sealing properties to the connections.

When it came time to cut into my bezel to add the new rocker switches I initially tried to get by with an $8 Harbor Freight rotary tool. I knew better but was being a cheap ass. Sure enough it was a complete utter piece of :pokinit: and went right into the trash 5 minutes into attempting to get it to do ANYTHING of worth. So the next day I went out and got the real thing. Sprung for a nice Dremel 3000 model which did a great job as expected. I choose to go with the 5 prong dual LED rocker switches. I'm very happy with them and think they turned out very nice. In case anyone is wondering the "rock lights" one is in sideways because I already had a hole in my bezel from where the previous owner had a switch there and I wanted to fill it rather than drill another one.

Finally the results:

I couldn't be happier with the spot pods + light bar combo. Puts out an incredible amount of light for the money I spent. The rock lights leave much to be desired however they are working for now so we will see what is to come with those.