Author Topic: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread  (Read 322263 times)

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread
« Reply #840 on: Mar 03, 2016, 05:53:15 PM »
 :willynilly: :cool: :D :bowdown: :driving: :love: :king:

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #841 on: Mar 03, 2016, 06:12:08 PM »
How does it pull em on the highway?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #842 on: Mar 03, 2016, 06:14:32 PM »
Looks good. You get back on the ramp to double check any rubbing issues? Pretty smooth on the high way ?
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Axman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 43
  • Member since Oct '15
  • Crawling the North West
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #843 on: Mar 03, 2016, 06:17:32 PM »
I want to live in Enumclaw so I could say and the name more oftern. ENNNNUUUUMMMMCCCCCLLLLAAAAWWWWWW!

We (me and my buddies) just call it the CLAW  :yupyup:

The tires look Awesome!! looks like you have only tested urban crawling, are they gonna rub under full flex?
I just got 36's for my rig and thats my next step, see if I need to do some trimming...
1984 Toyota Ext Cab
- 22r Weber 38, Offy intake, header & full exhaust, 9.5:1, ported and oversized valves
- 36x13.5 Irok bias, 4.56, spool & Detroit, Dual Cases, Longfield Birfs

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: Mar 03, 2016, 06:39:03 PM »
How does it pull em on the highway?

Can definitely tell they are a lot heavier. The 3rz and 5.29 helps a lot though. Still pulls good.

Looks good. You get back on the ramp to double check any rubbing issues? Pretty smooth on the high way ?

Going to 4WP to pick up a part for my work party this weekend. Plan to check them on the RTI ramp again then.

We (me and my buddies) just call it the CLAW  :yupyup:

The tires look Awesome!! looks like you have only tested urban crawling, are they gonna rub under full flex?
I just got 36's for my rig and thats my next step, see if I need to do some trimming...

I did some trimming to prevent rub. It appears that I'm going to tuck nicely and not rub.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: Mar 03, 2016, 06:48:25 PM »
They look good

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: Mar 03, 2016, 07:02:14 PM »
The tires look gnarly. Perfect for local wheeling and I suspect the rubber compound will be great on the slickrock.

I was expecting them to be bigger than 36-1/4". Do they gained height when mounted and aired up?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: Mar 03, 2016, 07:04:15 PM »
The tires look gnarly. Perfect for local wheeling and I suspect the rubber compound will be great on the slickrock.

I was expecting them to be bigger than 36-1/4". Do they gained height when mounted and aired up?

My friend Liew came over and I stepped back and looked at the tape while he held it. It is the angle of being close that make them look like that. They are measuring about 36 7/8 to 37.

4runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 103
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Sep '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: Mar 03, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
sweet rockers... cant wait to hear how they treat ya
built not bought 89 4runner
vortec v8, r151, dual cases
4link 1/4 elliptical

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:10:09 PM »
Yep they look sweet ! Make your runner not look so funny with cut out fenders and only 35s
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #850 on: Mar 04, 2016, 05:42:57 AM »
Those look great! Can't wait to see em in person.  :bling:
Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:38:10 PM »
A little shop floor mock up to double check I've got everything before tomorrow.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
A little shop floor mock up to double check I've got everything before tomorrow.

I don't see any fluid
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: Mar 04, 2016, 03:54:51 PM »
2 gallons of it are already in the back of the truck.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:14:12 AM »
Did it go well or has your 4Runner lost its way?  :dunno:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: Mar 06, 2016, 08:00:52 PM »
45. Upgrade power steering to TC style pump with remote reservoir and Chillkat bracket
46. Drill and tap steering box
47. Install hydraulic assist

Well what a weekend it was. I went over to mudmaster's place to tackle quite the big job of upgrading my power steering as well as install my new hydraulic assist. We started off very strong with Mark's friend Jim helping with some fabrication and welding. He made short work of welding on the bracket for the hydraulic ram onto the axle while me and Mark ran to the metal yard to pick up some steel for a custom bracket to mount my new Dave'z reservoir. We then all set about designing and creating the bracket. We were making very good time and had the fabrication work done by mid day. We then set about the mechanical side of things starting with the removal of all of my current power steering equipment. By 4 oclock we had everything drained and pulled off the truck and had begun to disassemble the steering box for drilling and tapping of hydro assist fittings. Everything was going very smoothly up until we attempted to screw in our first fitting. We found that the fittings would not start into the newly tapped holes. After about an hour of scratching our heads and attempting to figure out the problem. I realized that the tap we were using had a taper such that we were not getting deep enough with it to spread the hole enough for the fitting's threads to start. After we figured that out we made short work of finishing the tapping and re-assembly of the steering box. We then began to install all of the new parts and connect hoses.   :flamer:

After a very long and arduous first day we were left with one major problem standing in the way of completion. The hydraulic hoses I ordered to run from the newly tapped steering box to my new hydraulic ram were too short. We racked our heads and got on google searching all over for someone who was open on Sundays making hydraulic lines. With a couple possibilities, none of which were very promising, we called it a night. I shot off an email to a guy I had been corresponding with from Pirate since I began looking into doing hydro assist and whom had recommended me the lengths of hoses that I ordered. I didn't receive a reply from him before I passed out on Mark's couch around 1 AM.  :sleeping:

I awoke to an email from Romeo the guy who I had emailed the night prior. He let me know that he lived nearby and could bring me an extra hose that should be long enough to work, so long as the longer of my two hoses could work for the shorter run. I shot him off Mark's address and then went about testing the longer of my two hoses on the shorter run. I was able to make it work and was back in business. Romeo showed up about an hour and a half later with his spare hose in hand. I quickly installed it and we began the bleeding procedure. Now going into this I had read up while researching hydro assist, that the bleeding was by far the biggest pain in the ass and could even take 2 days to get right. I have to say our experience was nothing of the sort. My new friend Chris showed up shortly after Romeo, and the now 4 of us set about bleeding the system. Short of a couple fittings that needed a little tightening up and my power steering pump belt being installed on the wrong pulley the whole process was quick and painless. Around 3 oclock I had taken the truck around the block for a couple test runs and on the 3rd one we no longer found any leaks and the job was done!  :driving:

I can't thank Mark, Romeo, and Chris enough for the help this weekend. Especially Mark for the long 2 days he put in with me and for the hospitality of his garage and his home. It was really nice getting to wrench and hang out with you before our big trip to Moab, brother. You are one cool cat and I'm glad to have made you as a friend.  :beerchug:

My recommendation for those of you who attempt to tackle hydro assist in the future:

1. Absolutely utilize the guides on the forums out there, however make sure to take measurements for your truck in particular for hoses, as no two trucks are the same in this regard.
2. Make sure to have both a tapered/regular 1/4 -18 NPT tap as well as a bottom 1/4 - 18 NPT tap.
3. Put your axle on jack stands or jacks so that there is no weight on the tires when you do the bleeding procedure.
4. Make sure your reservoir is higher than your pump. I fully believe this is why my bleeding procedure went so smoothly.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2016, 06:43:58 AM by SqWADoosh »

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #856 on: Mar 07, 2016, 04:50:48 AM »
Surely it is not, However the angle on the photo of your Dave's reservoir makes it look like your bracket is bolted to the intake manifold as well as the fender ?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #857 on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:20:00 AM »
It is and may need to be removed. It's also supported from the bottom so that bolt isn't really needed.

Andrew, when did you have time to take pics  :biggthumpup:
Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:38:14 AM »
Surely it is not, However the angle on the photo of your Dave's reservoir makes it look like your bracket is bolted to the intake manifold as well as the fender ?

It is indeed. You are the second person to comment on it. Like Mark said,  it is well supported in two other locations. Maybe ill cut off the part that connects to the intake.

It is and may need to be removed. It's also supported from the bottom so that bolt isn't really needed.

Andrew, when did you have time to take pics  :biggthumpup:

As you can see it is only a couple. I sure wish I would have taken more.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #859 on: Mar 07, 2016, 10:22:24 AM »
I'm just thinking the torque of the engine under acceleration is going to want to be constantly pulling on it. Kind of like trying to solid mount an engine but keeping the rubber isolators.
06 tacoma street truck

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 219
  • Male Posts: 831
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #860 on: Mar 07, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »
Cool Man, Glad you are going to cut the bracket free from the engine.

I think it would have been a matter of time until it broke free. Looks Great Keep up the great work.
Marlin Crawler
Developers of the longest lasting and most successful
Toyota Transfer case, Transmission, and Differential products on the planet
(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:34:14 PM »
Removed the bolt connecting the bracket to the intake. I also did a next day checkup to make sure I didn't have any leaks. So far so good in that department. I shot off some emails to both 4xinnovations and KillerToyTops today to inquire about the status of my orders. KTT responded letting me know that my top will be shipping tomorrow. Adam from 4xinnovations said I'm still a few weeks out from receiving my tube doors. I also heard back from Cody at BadLand about fixing my bumper, redoing my bump stops, and moving my jerry can mount higher to solve some of my departure angle problems. I have an appointment to drop off my truck to him later this month. Everything is on track to be done well ahead of Moab. Other things that are now on my radar after I found out that my work at BadLand will not be costing me nearly as much as I thought it would be:

- IFS hub swap w/ FROR tacoma bracket, 02 Tacoma brakes & rotors
- ARP hub and knuckle studs
- LPSV delete

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:03:51 PM »
ARP studs are needed with your 37s. Good choice. I sort of assumed you had them already, I guess.

What about just taking the can bracket off for the Moab trip?  What kind of mileage do you get?  You shouldn't need any fuel on the back and lighter is always better for climbing.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:05:38 PM »
ARP studs are needed with your 37s. Good choice. I sort of assumed you had them already, I guess.

What about just taking the can bracket off for the Moab trip?  What kind of mileage do you get?  You shouldn't need any fuel on the back and lighter is always better for climbing.

I get :pokinit: mileage and only have a 14 gallon tank. The jerrys are staying. They are going to be raised to where if I'm catching on them then I am already going end over end.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:51:20 PM »
ARP studs ordered. Going to put them in on Saturday before I hit walker on Sunday.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:59:05 PM »
ARP studs ordered. Going to put them in on Saturday before I hit walker on Sunday.

With your hydro assist, 37s, and slickrock ARP studs in your steering could save the day. The goal is to never know for sure. With your e-locker you can relieve the pressure, but you'll still end up turning while locked in partly out of necessity and partly because you may not feel it when it is locked.

Zembalayan said his steering felt about the same locked or unlocked with his hydro assist on the last trip.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:00:50 PM »
With your hydro assist, 37s, and slickrock ARP studs in your steering could save the day. The goal is to never know for sure. With your e-locker you can relieve the pressure, but you'll still end up turning while locked in partly out of necessity and partly because you may not feel it when it is locked.

Zembalayan said his steering felt about the same locked or unlocked with his hydro assist on the last trip.

I plan to get some local trips in (including this weekend) to tackle the learning curve of it. I'm starting to think I really need to get beadlocks as it is going to be much easier to unseat a bead with hydro now.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:03:21 PM »
I plan to get some local trips in (including this weekend) to tackle the learning curve of it. I'm starting to think I really need to get beadlocks as it is going to be much easier to unseat a bead with hydro now.

I don't see you having that issue. You seem pretty aware of your tire placement so I would expect you to know when you might be in danger...

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:04:44 PM »
I don't see you having that issue. You seem pretty aware of your tire placement so I would expect you to know when you might be in danger...

Hope you are right.  :D

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: Mar 10, 2016, 07:26:14 PM »
My soft top from Killer Toy Tops is arriving on Saturday as well as my ARP studs from FROR. Going to spend that day getting those installed and then I'm off to Walker Valley for a 2 year anniversary of the first trip out with the runner.  :smokin: