Author Topic: Newbie, building up an 82 pick-up  (Read 1577 times)

desertyota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Newbie, building up an 82 pick-up
« on: Oct 09, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »
  Hello Crawler guru's..   I've got a few questions about what I should do to Improve my first gen truck, on and off road.  And it seems like this forum is the place to ask.. lol! My wheeler is an 82 long bed, bobbed back to a stock 6ft bed.  It has 22re conversion,  4-5 inches of lift, chevy springs in back.  35's, 4.88 gears (i think)..  and high steer.  The front end is spooled or welded and I hate it.(thinking of going with detroit locker)  Bought it with these mods and I've had the truck for two years and otherwise wheels pretty well on dirt, till recently..    The tranny which looks like an L50 or 52, is in poor shape(barely shifts)  which is my first issue.  I did some research(mostly here) and found out that the input bearing on that series is prone to failure..  It seems many first gen owners swap to the newer style transmissions..  I sold my 94 4x pick-up earlier this year after owning it for ten years.  I really loved that truck by the way..   That w series trans seemed to be much better, smoother and the throw was less distance..   My question: is  there one of the newer style, G or W, that is an easier or better swap for this truck?   Im also wondering if anyone knows the Marlin Crawler policy on core charges.. can I send back a different series core? 
I have been reading up on these dual case set-ups fro a while now, and the you-tube videos of Marlins truck make it seem so cool!   I have been 4 wheeling toyotas for years now, but this truck would be by far, the most capable I have ever owed.  I extensively use my vehicles off road for months out of the year.  I have a passion for studying reptiles and these trucks get me to places most cant go and always back again.  I wheel a lot of medium difficulty terrain, but have never been a serious off roader.. (narly terrain, bringing spare parts ect)..   I would love to get into it.   My questions about dual transfer cases:  What have you guys found out over the years in the durability of these units?  Can they be daily driven?  I will be taking this truck out to Az, Baja..   Using it as for trips(road driving) and 4 wheel..   Should I go all out and do a dual case or just a single with the 4.7 gears?    I'm also wondering about upgrading the steering box..  Is there a way to make the turning tighter(less turns of the steering wheel) ?

any other suggestions on the overall set up?

Thanks, Dan
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2014, 08:40:35 PM by Daniel Lawrence »

smash

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Any time you think you're man enough.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie, building up an 82 pick-up
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »
I'd go with ARB air lockers to ditch the welded/spooled front end.

Someone else will have to chime in on the longevity of the crawler boxes and being used in DD applications. I'd venture a guess that the unit would be able to handle daily driving. It's made by Marlin for a Toyota. You'd probably be able to hunt reptiles til you die and the case would still be going strong.
subtle as a chainsaw

2006 F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 CC/SB
between Toyotas

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2014, 10:11:18 AM »
Nice truck.  With it all set up mostly already. 

This is what I would do. 

~Power steering setup
~I would look for a W56 A-C trans, and dual cases with 2.28 gears, of course new drivelines and crossmember with this setup.
~Get either a Aussie locker or ARB, depending on your $$$.  You could always run one hub unlocked with a lunchbox locker.

Depending your budget of course.  But this is what I would lean towards.  And trans core, generally they like to have similar core trades, but I doubt they will refuse a core.  But call and find out.  CJ and Lee can answer your questions.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,728
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2014, 11:58:12 AM »
I have been daily driving my dual ultimate transfer cases for 10 years now. They will hold up perfectly. On street driving the power goes straight through without being transferred through the gears.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

desertyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies and ideas!

cheesemaker:  the truck does have power steering currently, so maybe thats fine for now..  The set-up you described is what I was thinking too.  It seems like I tried one hub unlocked and it still wouldn't steer on pavement..  Is that normal? 

Helipilot: thanks for the clarification on that..  So its basically just the adapter that turns an extra gear? 

I think Im gonna do the tranny swap for sure and probably duel cases.  I have an extra t-case too..   I havent tryed calling the marlin guys, because I have heard they are super busy, but I think I will now.  I am not an expert toyota machanic, fabricator or four wheeler.  And not to many specialty shops down here in soCal.  The guys at Yotamasters seem to know their stuff.  Ive talked to Eric a couple of times..  too bad they are an hour or mores drive from my house... 

I will keep you guys posted on the project,
Thanks,  Dan

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2014, 07:42:20 PM »
It's hard to say with the steering.  The front end could be too tight somewhere.  Or the pump worn out and not doing its job effectively.  It should be fairly easy to steer with 35's.  But with 4wd engaged, there is alot more resistance.  I immediately notice in my IFS and 31's when I have it in 4wd.  There is more resistance, but not a huge amount. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen