Author Topic: What do ya think about building your own....  (Read 4295 times)

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
What do ya think about building your own....
« on: Dec 01, 2007, 09:47:25 PM »
Can someone tell me why this wouldnt work?   

I have heard about h9 hybrid portals but they only have a 1.3in axle shaft in there.  But with the hummer gear box on the end it works pretty good because they take half the stress off the axle shafts and r&p...  But what I want to know is if you can take the main gear out of the hummer portal box and take it to a shop and have it drilled and splined to fit some 35 spline d60 axles then bolt them up,  I dont see any reason why they wouldnt work and they should hold up to some huge tires quite well?   

So all you gearheads talk to me!!!
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

88stewy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
Re: What do ya think about building your own....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2007, 08:47:22 PM »
Well... a lot of people sure responded to this one so far.  Sorry Man. I know little of what you are talking about but it sounds reasonable.

Stewy
You only get one chance at this life, be a participant not a spectator.

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2007, 05:29:48 AM »
Well... a lot of people sure responded to this one so far.  Sorry Man. I know little of what you are talking about but it sounds reasonable.

Stewy

LOL yea, can hardly keep up with the responces...   

I figured someone may know, but I suppose not too many people have hummer gear boxes lyin around that they have played with...

WILLYNILLY

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:05:42 AM »
Go Rockwell.
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:31:25 AM »
Have you talked to these guys?  http://differentialeng.com/Hummer.htm
Saw a set of these on a cruiser a few years back on Rubithon. Looked like a pretty cool setup.

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:35:53 AM »
Go Rockwell.

Why when you could have way more ground clearance and alot less weight,  and could easily handle the size of a 44, and since Im not lookin to go larger then it seems that it would be a good option....

Plus I know all about rocks and they are great HD axles, but tryin to think outside the box...

Have you talked to these guys?  http://differentialeng.com/Hummer.htm
Saw a set of these on a cruiser a few years back on Rubithon. Looked like a pretty cool setup.

I have emaild them for a quote a bit back and they told me they wernt building them at the time due to lack of interest....  Stazeworks builds something simular to that and not too bad of the price.  I was just curiouse if you could drill and respline a gear like that and fit it to a larger shaft, like the ones in my 14 b sf rear

WILLYNILLY

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:45:24 AM »
Not sure how that would effect strength. It would have to go to a heat treater but i'm not sure how being previously treated would effect the process. Getting a whole gear machined would be the best but i'm sure that would start getting into high volumes of cubic dollars. LOL
It seems like you wouldn't have to worry about having that big of an axle on the inner sides like that with the portal box's outboard. I know bigger is better but with the reputation for strength that the 9" has I think my only worry would be if the hummer stuff was strong enough. I'd be talking to some military mechs to find out how things are holding up over there in the desert.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:48:01 AM »
Just re-read your post....are you talking about putting the hummers on a D60? If so just have the axles tappered and re-splined for the hummer box. You should still have PLENTY of strength. They would be bigger than the 9" axles.

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:57:12 AM »
Not sure how that would effect strength. It would have to go to a heat treater but i'm not sure how being previously treated would effect the process. Getting a whole gear machined would be the best but i'm sure that would start getting into high volumes of cubic dollars. LOL
It seems like you wouldn't have to worry about having that big of an axle on the inner sides like that with the portal box's outboard. I know bigger is better but with the reputation for strength that the 9" has I think my only worry would be if the hummer stuff was strong enough. I'd be talking to some military mechs to find out how things are holding up over there in the desert.

I have heard that they hold up real well.  Plus they were designed for a HD millitary rig that was desighned for offroad....  And my rig probably weighs only half of what an h1 does. Staze works builds theirs with chromo shaft and the gear box takes off half the stress.... they say they have had no problems with their 44s on them on a fulsize truck.  They run about 4 grand an axle loaded with chromo and lockers.   Not too bad I dont think. Oh and they come with a shaved housing, and over 20in of clearance with 40in tires.

WILLYNILLY

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2007, 08:57:44 AM »
Just re-read your post....are you talking about putting the hummers on a D60? If so just have the axles tappered and re-splined for the hummer box. You should still have PLENTY of strength. They would be bigger than the 9" axles.

Thats true.

WILLYNILLY

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2007, 09:01:39 AM »
That seems very resonable considering you can spend a lot more on a dana 60 with considerable less clearance and as an added bonus you can run the cvtis air system on the hummer outers.

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2007, 09:11:13 AM »
That seems very resonable considering you can spend a lot more on a dana 60 with considerable less clearance and as an added bonus you can run the cvtis air system on the hummer outers.

Yea those things are sweet....You can controll your air on the fly and from inside the cab...  Yea I would love that feature too.

WILLYNILLY

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2007, 10:28:53 AM »
This has been discussed again, and again and again. You're probably looking at about $5000 per axle. Doesn't seem like a good trade off to me. Also, the CTIS is more trouble than it's worth.

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2007, 11:09:06 AM »
This has been discussed again, and again and again. You're probably looking at about $5000 per axle. Doesn't seem like a good trade off to me. Also, the CTIS is more trouble than it's worth.

So you have owned one, used one, or know anybody who has used one?  What trade off are you talking about, the price?  Sorry if its been discussed many times,  I have been on for a while and not seen it but if it bothers you, you dont have to participate.   Not trying to be rude, just discusing options.

WILLYNILLY

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2007, 12:48:48 PM »
the axle shaft in the 9" portals dont have to be as big as normal because of the gearing in the hub/portal that takes alot of the stress off of it. 

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2007, 02:02:53 PM »
the axle shaft in the 9" portals dont have to be as big as normal because of the gearing in the hub/portal that takes alot of the stress off of it. 

That was my understanding as well.   Isnt the gearing almost 2:1 in the box,  It seems that would not only take quite alot of stress on the shafts but the rest of the d-train also....   I am saving my pennies for the ones from stazeworks,  I desighned my suspension for them, so that when I put them on it wont change my stance.

WILLYNILLY

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2007, 07:54:16 AM »
I'm not positive what the drive gear inside the Hummer box looks like but my guess is it is a solid chunk of gear steel. It shouldn't be an iss ue to broach it to 1.5 35 spline. And again like others stated, I don't think it'd be worth it. The stress that shaft sees is minimal compared to the outers. If anythink I'd be looking @ beefing the boxes and possibly the outer shafts.
"between projects"

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:22:41 AM »
So you have owned one, used one, or know anybody who has used one?  What trade off are you talking about, the price?  Sorry if its been discussed many times,  I have been on for a while and not seen it but if it bothers you, you dont have to participate.   Not trying to be rude, just discusing options.

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just stating that the information is there. There is TONS of information on this subject on Pirate.

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2007, 12:00:50 PM »
I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just stating that the information is there. There is TONS of information on this subject on Pirate.

LOL I dont spend any time on pirate. I dont really care for the atmosphere there...   But thanks anyways, if you have any specific links.   I havent had much luck in my limited experience with searches on pirate.

WILLYNILLY

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2007, 12:34:28 PM »

Almost every post i read from you dirtchicken your talkin :pokinit: or shootin down someones idea , maybe you should just stick to pirate board or keep you opinions to yourself

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2007, 01:00:09 PM »
Easy there boys....    This is a friendly forum.

I don't see the advantage to using a baby 14B instead of a 9" Ford.  The 9" has more aftermarket support than any other diff in the world and is easily as strong as the baby 14 with better ground clearance.

'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

skipnrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2007, 06:19:29 PM »
Easy there boys....    This is a friendly forum.

I don't see the advantage to using a baby 14B instead of a 9" Ford.  The 9" has more aftermarket support than any other diff in the world and is easily as strong as the baby 14 with better ground clearance.

The only reason I talked about the baby 14b is cause I got one,  Its a bit larger than the 31spline 9 but about .05in smaller than the 35 spline...   Other than having a baby 14 with alloys Thats why I brought it up.

WILLYNILLY