Author Topic: building the beast  (Read 1867 times)

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
building the beast
« on: Sep 03, 2004, 01:39:09 PM »
i finally got a job, so it's time to start going to work on my '79 longbed.  only problem is, i've been a web wheeler so long that it seems i've lost touch of what i need to have a capable rig and what's overkill.

i'll start with my current drivetrain.  20R, L43 4 speed, and the rest you can probably figure out.  number 1 on the agenda, i want to get rid of that piece of junk 4 speed and replace it with a w56.  i wouldn't mind keeping a 20R under the hood, but the problem is that i think the head is screwed, the exhaust manifold studs were tapped to M12 and are even falling out then(any way to fix that?).  i have another head in the back yard, but it's off an earlier truck/celica and it's been sitting for probably 20 years.  don't know how that engine died, but the head gasket looked brand new when i pulled the head off it a couple weeks ago.  the problem with that head is that it only has the side holes for power steering and not the front one :hammer:, and the intake and exhaust ports are full of that nasty white aluminum corrosion.  therefore, i'm considering looking for a good late model 22R core and rebuilding it.

as for gearing, i'd like to have something good without completely breaking the bank!  i've been considering dual cases as i have a '90 forward shift case sitting in the garage that'll bolt right up to a late w56.  this way i could go even lower(like 4.7s) if i ever need to, and not to mention a dual adapter is cheaper than a set of gears.  with the later 5 speed i'd have to have my drivelines resized anyway, so it's kind of a wash.

axle-wise, i want to run 34x10.5 swamper LTBs(i've heard they really measure out to about 33") so i plan on going to 4.88s.  i'd kind of like to run a selectable locker at least in the rear, since it's wet up here and swampers on the street can be a little scary at times even with an open diff.  i'm thinking of the toy e-locker, since i think i could do the mods on an IFS rear i have sitting in my back yard.  it's pricier, but i think it'd probably be worth it.  i figure the front could remain open for now until i ever need more traction.  most of the stuff around here is mainly dirt and rocks it seems.  as for shafts, should i upgrade the inners?  i figure i should run longs in the front just for peace of mind.

finally, for the suspension.  i'd definitely like to run crossover steering as i hate the brake steer i have now and i'd like the upgrade in strength.  for springs, i want to keep it low, so i think i'd like to find some 2wd toyota springs and build packs out of them for the front.  not sure about the rear, maybe mazdas and a track bar.

anyone want to critique my setup?  seems i only know what i want until it comes time to pull the trigger, then i'm clueless :drool:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: building the beast
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2004, 12:21:50 PM »
dual cases and a locker were the best things i did to my truck.  those will help you out more then anything.  If you don't plan on runnign a front locker and only 34's then you shouldn't worry about breaking birfs or inners.  Save some money right there.  The ifs rear end will help out since you already have it.  Wider is better.  For steering.  High steer is the best way to go.  A drop drag link will work too for awhile, but it doesn't compare to high steer.