Author Topic: Ideas on a cheap build up!?!?(suspension 85 4Runner)  (Read 5675 times)

merlcrawl

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Ideas on a cheap build up!?!?(suspension 85 4Runner)
« on: Oct 19, 2009, 01:39:16 PM »
I have a bit of cash and im thinking i could get things done for cheeper without the marlin lift?
IDEAS???? I kinda want to 4link it would this be more?? :help:
looking to run 37's to 39.5's im prety much open to any idea
should i sell this thing or crawl it out?? tell me what you would do! :disturbed:

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -367
  • Male Posts: 789
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
for the rear do 63" chevy springs, you would have to run a samll block, or use ford f150 springs, they will give you plenty of lift for 37s.

for the front use RUF, get two sets of rears and mix them together to make a beefier pack. you will want highsteer, if your on the cheap like i was i would get trailgear but if you have a little money it always nice to support marlin. remember you get what you pay for. those are real cheap springs but they work really well. dont buy them on the forsale sections here, ppl always want too much for them, go to your local pnp and find some for cheap.

merlcrawl [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
so do you think the marlin lift would be over doing it??

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
if i could afford it i would use a marlin 4 inch lift, but if i only had 2500 to work with, i would do what i said in my first post. because then you will still have money for gears,tires,lockers,duals, ect.

merlcrawl [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
well i have more like 10 but i was looking to spend 2500 with a trade for it because the insides not the greatest if i keep it i just dont want my money to burn a hole in my pocket..What would be some cheap lockers do i need a seperate gasket kit??

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
If you've got money get some marlin rear springs to match the lift you get from some rears up front (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265669). If you're looking for an inexpensive locker I recommend an Aussie  :twocents:
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
man those stock springs are tired :ack:

if you have the coin, you cant go wrong with Marlin 4 inch

but  you can do ALOT with some junkyard springs added in to some stock stuff,  personally i'd keep the stock steering run some 33's and rock a elocker in the rear :disturbed:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Crawlin4fun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 84
  • Member since Aug '08
  • Never Done building
    • View Profile
You say you actually have 10 ??? 10 grand ? If so buy a done truck  :twocents:

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
sounds like you have more money than knowledge, i suggest you start reading. go to pirate4x4 and read the toyota bible at the top of the page in the toyota section. just read the whole thing and dont ask any questions. then come back here and tell us what you plan on doing, then we can tell you if you should change something or if your doing all right.

merlcrawl [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
wtf's the point in not asking questions smart guy, ur sure no help at all :thumbdown:.. i kno the parts and mods needed i need i just dont want to spend it all too quick. im just seeing if the helpfull people could recomend cheap parts

merlcrawl [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
You say you actually have 10 ??? 10 grand ? If so buy a done truck  :twocents:
because if i were to buy a rig completed its most likley been wheeled and their may be a problem.. i also think it would be funner to fab everything  :suprised:

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
wtf's the point in not asking questions smart guy, ur sure no help at all :thumbdown:.. i kno the parts and mods needed i need i just dont want to spend it all too quick. im just seeing if the helpfull people could recomend cheap parts

your whole response is the reason why you need to read and not ask questions.
oh and im no help huh? ive given the most info in this whole damn thread, if you wanna ask noob questions on pirate be my guest, but you better have your flame suit on, i meant dont ask questions on pirate, i didnt mean everywhere.

merlcrawl [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
your whole response is the reason why you need to read and not ask questions.
oh and im no help huh? ive given the most info in this whole damn thread, if you wanna ask noob questions on pirate be my guest, but you better have your flame suit on, i meant dont ask questions on pirate, i didnt mean everywhere.
i didnt poast in this forum to argue with you, and i dont believe that asking wich parts would be worth my money instead of buying somthing way to expensive.

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
O'RLY,  sure seems like you started this argument i was only giving advice, which if followed would steer you in the right direction.
you only asked about how to lift it on the cheap, which I have already answered in my first post.

do you have other questions?
lockers? as posted earlier aussie lockers are always a good choice for a lunchbox style locker. if i like you had cash to burn i would spring for an ARB locker for the rear and put and aussie in the front. they are very easy to install i did mine with a buddy  during a long night of working on my truck.

gears?
for your tire size most would suggest 529s yukon, talk to ZUK he can set them up for you and your gears will be tits.

dual cases? Marlin all the way, find your self a top shift case and order up and adapter and a 4.7 gear set from marlin.

your runner is pretty clean, you prolly wanna keep it that way right?
get yourself some protection, rock sliders front and rear bumpers and a good skid plate to protect those pretty new duals.

anything else?

merlcrawl [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
nah i wasn't intending on starting an argument, i was going to make the rock sliders, i was thinking running a Detroit in the rear ARB up front,  5.29's Yukon's for sure.  Trail-gears instillation video looked Farley easy to rebuild the t-case? any hidden problems their not sharing, does the kit include everything??  it isn't the cleanest rig its got some body rust around the fenders i was going to fab the crossmember and etc.  Trail-Gear also came out with the front and rear link suspension, you think leaves are the way to go or what??

P.S. sorry for the missunderstanding 84t0y.

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
If you get one, put the selectable locker in front, not rear, unless you're getting 2. An arb in front and detroit in rear like you said would work great. I second that on the marlin gears
Central Valley Crawlers

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
No problem, I really have no experience with link suspensions, although ive heard bad things about the trail gear set up, if you really want to do a link set up id suggest building your own. ive also heard that leaf springs are more reliable, but people will prolly argue with that.

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
If you get one, put the selectable locker in front, not rear, unless you're getting 2. An arb in front and detroit in rear like you said would work great. I second that on the marlin gears

the only reason i said arb in the rear is because i use my truck as a DD and i really havnt gotten into anything where i would need to unlock the front. but you are rigth most ppl would put the arb in the front.

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
If I were to build that Runner on $10K first of all no I wouldn't sell it.  You got the RE and a solid front.  what a neat vehicle stock.  I would do 63" cheavy's in the rear, Rears up front, with some fender trimming to fit the tire size.  I would do the Marlin Dual Case, with a detroit in the rear with a selectable locker in the front.  Sliders, and front and rear bumpers.  If your unhappy with the lift you can always change it later on with more money.  But you might as well see how everything works together and then adjust accordingly.

merlcrawl [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
If I were to build that Runner on $10K first of all no I wouldn't sell it.  You got the RE and a solid front.  what a neat vehicle stock.  I would do 63" cheavy's in the rear, Rears up front, with some fender trimming to fit the tire size.  I would do the Marlin Dual Case, with a detroit in the rear with a selectable locker in the front.  Sliders, and front and rear bumpers.  If your unhappy with the lift you can always change it later on with more money.  But you might as well see how everything works together and then adjust accordingly.
ya, the rear springs are pretty shot (kinda even inverted).Does and one kno is the ARB wiring harness complicated to figure out? could i live with just the dual adapter and the top shift box from marlin? just for temperary.  I was looking at some guys runner and he bobbed it at the rear tail light to the fender wall, would i need to remove the body from the chassi?

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
I'll build you a truck for 1 10 G's.....  :booya:

merlcrawl [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
haha now i know why people use the  :twocents: sign haha :biggthumpup:.
id be down for some build help, any one in tha 707 area..

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Another thing you could do is pick up a nice little 220v welder for sliders, bumpers, any suspension hangers or brackets especially if you're really going to get into this
Central Valley Crawlers

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
Yeah welder bender nother tools air comp. and arir tools.... I'd start with all that.

merlcrawl [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Yeah welder bender nother tools air comp. and arir tools.... I'd start with all that.
got all this, my dads certifies structural steel.  We got welders for the meterial lol  :shocking:. we got that yellow or orange pipe bender the ram driven pump style, what are some good ways to measure the degree of the bend and keeping the bends parallel to one another? Ben Widiker is a hard a$$ and doesn't get into pipe bending(if you know who he is hes a funny mofo!!(welding teacher at SRJC)).

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Couple of these would work
Central Valley Crawlers

merlcrawl [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n