Author Topic: Glen's budget rebuild  (Read 500186 times)

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Re: Glen's budget rebuild
« Reply #2790 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:14:31 PM »
How were you operating it previously? Just left it locked?

Either way, that's pretty sweet!  :thumbs:

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: Feb 20, 2009, 05:57:58 AM »
I dont get it what it supose to do I didnt know that there was such a thing as a tacoma locker that you could put in a fst gen rear axle can these be gotten in a junk yard or what ?
IF YOUR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT OF YOUR 4X4 AND YOU CANT SEE THEN JUST TURN ON YOUR WIPERS. BUT THEN THINGS GET ALL MESSED UP LIKE IN LIFE.

WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF YOUR ROPE JUST THINK THAT ALONG TIME AGO  YOU WERE THE FASTEST LITTLE SWIMMER TO THE EGG

08:55:22 PM BeccaLoo24 – i like to screw things

$99 scratch and dent drill press has drilled more holes than Ron Jeremy.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48342.0

[img]http://bo

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: Feb 20, 2009, 06:06:05 AM »
I dont get it what it supose to do I didnt know that there was such a thing as a tacoma locker that you could put in a fst gen rear axle can these be gotten in a junk yard or what ?

He's talking about the e-locker (electric locker) that was available in the late 90's tacoma's and 4Runners.  My 1999 4Runner has one.  You can modify the houseings in the older truck axles and install these selectable locking 3rds in them.   Yes you can find them in the Junkyard but they usually want about $400-$500 for them.   
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: Feb 20, 2009, 06:13:49 AM »
Hey Glen,  Instead of an 86-95 axle why don't you find an axle that originally had that elocker in it and just cut off all the stuff and weld spring perches where you need them.  Its already wider and you don't need any kits or spacers.

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: Feb 20, 2009, 06:15:29 AM »
:thud: they want to much for them  hell there used  :tantrum:
IF YOUR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT OF YOUR 4X4 AND YOU CANT SEE THEN JUST TURN ON YOUR WIPERS. BUT THEN THINGS GET ALL MESSED UP LIKE IN LIFE.

WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF YOUR ROPE JUST THINK THAT ALONG TIME AGO  YOU WERE THE FASTEST LITTLE SWIMMER TO THE EGG

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: Feb 20, 2009, 07:28:02 AM »

Have you priced a selectable locker these days?

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: Feb 20, 2009, 08:10:28 AM »

How much is a Detroit? $400 or so.

An e-locker third will set you back about $400 to $500. About the same, except it's selectable, comes with gears, carrier, housing. IMO, a better deal. Heck, and ARB is about $700 new without a compressor, solenoid, switches, wiring harness, master bearing, etc.

Or, if you're really lucky, you can find a complete rear axle out of a Tacoma with 5.29 gears, e-locker, all for $550 shipped like I did  :greengrin: Just got look around and be ready to jump with cash in hand when you do.

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: Feb 20, 2009, 08:16:41 AM »
no have you ?

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2798 on: Feb 20, 2009, 09:19:39 AM »
How were you operating it previously? Just left it locked?

Either way, that's pretty sweet!  :thumbs:
i hated running it locked on the hwy, i almost found a tree one time with it locked on a wet road,  i just jacked up one side, got under and removed the electric motor locked it with a flat screw driver then put the motor back on,   when i first got it i just touched the wires in the cab and it locked or unlocked, but i burned the motor up :rivers:

Maxwe001  the elockers from Marlin are about $1200
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Dr.Maxwe001

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: Feb 20, 2009, 11:31:08 AM »
thats kinda exspensive isnt it

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: Feb 20, 2009, 11:41:11 AM »
thats kinda exspensive isnt it

Well you are getting a fully built and geared third member, not just the locker
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: Feb 20, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »
i was so happy to pay $250 for my elocker :disturbed:  used  :disturbed:

i got it 2005  from a 2005 tacoma truck :disturbed:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: Mar 03, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
well, i got myself  some Gabrial Ultra shocks  for a 2000 F250,  same mounting as the stock toyota but these have a 13 inch stroke :disturbed:

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: Mar 14, 2009, 06:14:28 PM »
shocks are on , work great BUT they had these sleeve's in the bottom like stock front shocks do, so i had to drill those out,  well i mounted them fine but noticed today the crazy mount  has squeezed the bushing out :headshake:

today i fixed my thermostat, it was having some weird problems, it would over shoot then  cool down then overshoot, so i solved that by drilling a 1/8th inch hole in it and re installing it with a toyota rubber split O ring

also worked on my exhaust, it was LOUD,  the old header had split at the connector where the U bolt was

so i massaged it a little and slid some new tube in and clamped it down good,  this moved my outlet back to just before the reciever hitch,  might not give me a headache driving to town now

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2804 on: Mar 14, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »
today i fixed my thermostat, it was having some weird problems, it would over shoot then  cool down then overshoot, so i solved that by drilling a 1/8th inch hole in it and re installing it with a toyota rubber split O ring
I'm having this same problem. Did drilling the hole fix it?
Time to go wheelin!

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: Mar 16, 2009, 09:31:20 AM »
I'm having this same problem. Did drilling the hole fix it?
yes it fixed it,  one 1/8th inch hole

i also installed this gasket-> 16341-35010  it goes around the tstat and with it  you dont need the paper gasket  :thumbs:

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2806 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
yes it fixed it,  one 1/8th inch hole

i also installed this gasket-> 16341-35010  it goes around the tstat and with it  you dont need the paper gasket  :thumbs:

Thanks, I guess I'll be doing this then too.
Time to go wheelin!

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:51:34 AM »
BTW Glen, did you get the inclinometer i sent you?

You might be interested to know a few weeks ago i bought this from a scrapyard... :D Hardtop, front doors, windshield frame, hood, roll bar, fenders, dash, frame w/axles.

Also looky looky at what i JUST bought off Ebay... :yesnod:

A 71 AND a 72 FJ40 LandCruiser, hardtops w/intact windows, front doors, split tailgates with hatch, red one has a swing-out tire carrier, black one has engine/ trans but red one is powerless. Pretty solid, very little rust compared to what i've seen. We just went up to Iowa to get the red one this Sunday (3-15-09), the 456 mile round trip was bumpy but ticketless  ;) We'll go get the black one next Sunday, it can be flat-towed with our towbar after we drop the driveshafts. Perpetual grin on my face now that i've finally found myself an FJ40  :yupyup: Full resto planned on both, daily drivers w/ light wheeling planned. :driving:
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2009, 12:23:06 PM by Oddmar »
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »
BTW Glen, did you get the inclinometer i sent you?

You might be interested to know a few weeks ago i bought this from a scrapyard... :D Hardtop, front doors, windshield frame, hood, roll bar, fenders, dash, frame w/axles.

Also looky looky at what i JUST bought off Ebay... :yesnod:

A 71 AND a 72 FJ40 LandCruiser, hardtops w/intact windows, front doors, split tailgates with hatch, red one has a swing-out tire carrier, black one has engine/ trans but red one is powerless. Pretty solid, very little rust compared to what i've seen. We just went up to Iowa to get the red one this Sunday (3-15-09), the 456 mile round trip was bumpy but ticketless  ;) We'll go get the black one next Sunday, it can be flat-towed with our towbar after we drop the driveshafts. Perpetual grin on my face now that i've finally found myself an FJ40  :yupyup: Full resto planned on both, daily drivers w/ light wheeling planned. :driving:
:woohoo:

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:04:45 PM »
yes  i got the inclinometer, just havent had the chance to get pics or bust the dash apart to install it

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: Mar 22, 2009, 08:56:20 AM »
well, a several weeks ago when it was still really cold i installed a new tstat from toyota,  in the last week  the temp guage would go up to 200, then back down to 180, then back up , then down, then up :willynilly:  i had a feeling something was wrong :eek:

yesterday, on the way home from Hotsprings the headgasket blew :down:

i  thought i could sneak on home but  the 3rd time i had to stop and get water (about every two miles)  i pulled the dipstick and :rivers: MILKSHAKE :rivers:   at that point i knew i couldnt go far, so i managed to make it to my chiropractors house and called my Mom who called Aaron,   then Aaron called me :woohoo: HE WAS ON THE WAY :woohoo:

i managed to get over to his inlaw's place and took a break across the seats till i heard him coming in the driveway

man i was exhausted, but  after unloading Aarons rigand put put putting mine onto the trailer we were on the way

now i get to do a new headgasket, BUT on the up side,  its been a few years so i think i'll install new rod and main bearings while its apart

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2811 on: Mar 22, 2009, 09:19:58 AM »
:willynilly:  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

RK

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 757
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Me, crazy?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: Mar 22, 2009, 09:22:56 AM »
glad you got it home.
Max
Black Hole Racing - 84 Jackalope/79 Devil Bunny/87 Golf - Service rig: 2012 Ram 3500

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: Mar 22, 2009, 09:37:16 AM »

now i get to do a new headgasket, BUT on the up side,  its been a few years so i think i'll install new rod and main bearings while its apart

Hey glen if you got some of the cash left, go get the gasket...If not how much does one cost.
 :thumbs: Got to keep you moving...
 :yesnod:

baldwookie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Feb '06
  • one of these days ill be big like u guys/gals
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2814 on: Mar 22, 2009, 11:50:34 AM »
damn glen,  im not much help but.. when is the wrenchathon planned.... i get down there somehow
1980 lwb sr5  stock

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: Mar 22, 2009, 02:56:54 PM »
damn glen,  im not much help but.. when is the wrenchathon planned.... i get down there somehow

You want help on my truck how nice of you....? :love:...  Oh you mean glens. Greyhound?  :dunno:  Might work. Maybe do a weekend..Even if only a day job it'll give you a break from the parents..They maybe happy for the break too.

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: Mar 22, 2009, 04:37:59 PM »
Hey glen if you got some of the cash left, go get the gasket...If not how much does one cost.
 :thumbs: Got to keep you moving...
 :yesnod:
that would be a NO,

i'll call tomorrow and find out how much and get them ordered, one for me, one for wookie

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: Mar 22, 2009, 05:41:26 PM »
that would be a NO,

i'll call tomorrow and find out how much and get them ordered, one for me, one for wookie

I hope that NO mean you got cash?   :dunno:

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: Mar 22, 2009, 05:47:06 PM »
i have the cash left for the battery,

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: Mar 22, 2009, 05:49:20 PM »
i have the cash left for the battery,

I looked at gaskets and the fel pros were about $50-60 on summit. Is there enough for two?