Author Topic: E Locker Install questions  (Read 1942 times)

Aaronm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
E Locker Install questions
« on: Dec 27, 2008, 03:12:26 PM »
I am installing an E locker in the rear of my 87 4runner using the stock 8 inch axle housing. I have been using the info I got at http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/ and now that everything is ready to go together I need to get the pound of metal grindings out of the axle housing. I have been using a magnet and brake clean to try to wash and collect the peices of metal but it seems that I am not getting all of the metal shavings. Does anyone have a way that they have used before to get all of the metal out of an axle housing?
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: E Locker Install questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2008, 03:52:28 PM »
i used a hi pressure water hose,  alot easier to dry the water out than get the shavings out with a rag
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2008, 09:19:32 PM »
i used a hi pressure water hose,  alot easier to dry the water out than get the shavings out with a rag

Did you just blast the water through one of the axle sides? Was the axle in the rig or did you take it out?
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

hasbeen

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2008, 12:08:47 AM »
I stuffed rags into either side of my axle when I did all the grinding/drilling. Still though, I had shavings and such down into the axle tubes. i had the axle housing off the truck with everything out of it so lifting it on end and blowing it out wasn't a problem at all. I used a bit of brake clean down there as well. It sounds like maybe you still have your axle on the rig? If so it would probably be a pain to remove the stuff. See if you can borrow an air compressor with a long flexible nozzle.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2008, 09:49:22 PM »
Got a good shop vac?
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen