Author Topic: Checking for spark  (Read 3819 times)

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Checking for spark
« on: Nov 17, 2008, 12:04:37 PM »
My truck has a rebuilt engine with about 1,000 miles on it. It's always fired right up, although every now and then it kind of "chugs" a bit when it starts, then chugs faster and faster until it's running smoothly. Saturday I drove it in the morning, it sat for a few hours, then I went to drive it again, it started right up, ran for about 5 seconds and died. Won't start again. Wouldn't start yesterday, won't start this morning. I can smell gas if I crank it long enough, so I'm assuming it's getting gas. How do I check for spark? Pull a plug, connect it back to the wire and see if there's spark when someone cranks it? Or is there another way?

Also what else should I be looking for?

Sorry- it's an '83, 22R.
Zach
I like Yotatech

x2nou

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
Re: Checking for spark
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »
Clean your egr . I have that similar issue my egr was clog

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2008, 02:12:03 PM »
That would keep it from starting?
Zach
I like Yotatech

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »
pull the coil wire off the dist cap end.
put the terminal near a ground and crank the motor to check for spark.

the EGR could potentially cause a no start if it was stuck open.

if you still dont have spark, check the coil negative with a test light to see if there is flash.  if not, the pick up in the dist is prob bad.
hold this. . .

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2008, 04:04:13 PM »
lick a finger on each hand,  hold the coil wire with one hand with wet finger on metal end,   put other finger on engine, have someone crank the engine over several times :disturbed:

:shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2008, 06:37:02 AM »
Ok thanks! Tried the wet finger thing, feeling much better this morning...

No, I pulled a plug and think maybe by holding it against the valve cover I was grounding it? Didn't see spark. I'll try that with the coil wire at lunch. So I pull the coil wire at the distributer end and hold the terminal close to the engine (or anything metal) and look for spark?

The distributer is only about 1000 miles and 3 months old, but I guess I should never just automatically rule it out. I definitely am getting fuel, checked that last night.

If there is no spark coming from the coil, then it's the coil that's dead? Or are there other things to check before replacing it? And just to be clear, the ignition coil is totally seperate from the starter, right? So since it's cranking the starter is obviously fine, but the coil could still be bad?

I don't know what any of these parts are called...but...there is a metal pipe coming off the intake which threads onto the egr with a nut. I cleaned that out and the intake where it attaches. What do I clean on the egr valve? You've got the part that actually attaches to the head, then the diaphram (?) that sits on top of it. What else do I clean.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2008, 06:42:43 AM by 83MT »
Zach
I like Yotatech

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2008, 12:11:25 PM »
Well, no spark coming from the coil, so I'll try replacing that and go from there.
Zach
I like Yotatech

toolman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2008, 03:48:11 PM »
ignitor may be bad..check around on ebay for a good used one.
'82 yota work in progress
33x12.50's
Fuel Injection
4" lift
flat bed
x-over steering
full float rear
L52HD
LC engineering pro

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2008, 04:02:50 PM »
Check your coil wires real good before buying a new coil.  I find tons of coil wires look good, maybe even feel ok with a little tug or wiggle, then fully give out when you pull a tiny bit more.  We had a problem boat with a weak connection at a coil wire this summer, and I found it in a few seconds after sending somebody else out on it on 4 different occassions  :shake:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »
holding the spark plug or coil wire close to a ground SHOULD  show spark,  ive had my coil wire jump a spark 2 inches :shocking: right to my finger

i might have a couple ignitors laying around
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2008, 07:09:48 AM »
Great! I'll let you know if the coil doesn't do it (already ordered one). I'll also check all the wire connections. I don't mind replacing some of this stuff with new stuff because this is my daily driver/road trip vehicle and even though it's got a new clutch/engine/transmission all this 25 year old wiring & circuitry scares me a bit. The dealership guy (who steered me to the parts store because this crap is pricey at the dealership) said that he's heard from the mechanics that the ignitor is usually last to go on these trucks (and about 3 times the price of the coil) so trying the coil first is the way to go. We'll see. Coil should be here this morning.
Zach
I like Yotatech

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2008, 10:38:10 AM »
it is more likely the dist pickup than coil.
hold this. . .

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2008, 11:07:41 AM »
Yeah, except I'm not seeing any spark coming from the coil, so my problem is probably there.
Zach
I like Yotatech

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2008, 03:14:21 PM »
Not the coil...so on to the ignitor...
Zach
I like Yotatech

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2008, 03:34:29 PM »
probably dum, but I would double check all the mechanical stuff, timing, chain what not.  just to be sure.   :twocents:  Good luck.
I like to Drive!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2008, 07:17:22 PM »
Are you getting any power to the ignitor?  Checked your fuses?
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2008, 06:49:49 AM »
As far as I know I'm getting power to the ignitor. Without the equipment the FSM talks about for checking that stuff, I don't know what to check other than connections and the fuse. As far as I saw, there is one fuse labeled "engine". I'm assuming that's the only one I'd need to check? It was fine.

I made sure my distributer was bolted on tight and all that. The timing was set just a few weeks ago, so that shouldn't be it...

Anyway since I don't seem to be getting spark from the coil, the problem seems to be on that end of things. My new (expensive) ignitor will be here Monday, so I guess for now I just double check all wires/grounds etc and wait to see if that's it next week.

Thanks for the help.
Zach
I like Yotatech

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2008, 08:19:47 AM »
i had the same problem, kinda...i had spark and fuel but my truck still wouldnt run.  so after a lot of troubleshooting i found that a wire connection under the dash was loose. (someone before me spliced into it and made the wire to short which caused it to pull out of the clip just enough to loose connection.) it was one of the wires commond down the steering colum form the ignituion.  sounds like that could be it but maby not. hope it helps!!
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2008, 08:51:01 AM »
Ok. I did check around under there but that makes me think maybe I should spend a bit more time. Unfortunately a PO did some wiring stuff in my truck, although they more added wires, not messed with existing stuff. But because of that I've got wires that I can tell were grounds that are broken off, and wires coming in from the firewall that don't connect with anything, and it was running fine that way before. So...hard to tell if there's a new one loose. This could be a good opportunity to find out where (if anywhere) all those wires go. Thanks.
Zach
I like Yotatech

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »
hey bud, the pickup in the dist sends signal to fire the coil.  the pickup is actually signalling the ignitor to go to ground.

losing an ignitor is pretty rare as far as i know.

generally you check the pick up using an ohm meter across the dist plug.
hsould be 200-2000 ohms.

also you can put a test light on the negative side of the coil and crank the motor, see if the lamp flashes.

its gonna sting when the ignitor doesnt fix the problem as there is generally no returns on electrical itmes.
hold this. . .

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2008, 07:40:57 AM »
Oh really? Well s&*t. We'll see how that goes, then. The Toyota shop I talked to only mentioned the coil & ignitor so I figured that's what I'd go with. I guess I'll look into the pickup and see how cheap it is. If it's cheap I'll just buy it now. I really need my truck to be running next week.

I don't have any of those tools to check this stuff, but honestly after spending what I've spent on parts, it sure doesn't seem like a bad investment to buy those check tools at this point...

Well if nothing else, I'll have a lot more new electrical stuff on my truck. Now I just have to worry about the actual wires...
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2008, 08:44:17 AM by 83MT »
Zach
I like Yotatech

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2008, 11:36:31 AM »
Wasn't the distributer pickup. We'll find out after lunch if it's the ignitor.

Or...maybe we won't. At some point a PO installed a later model ignitor by cutting off a plug and splicing in a newer one, so the '83 ignitor won't plug in. Try again, back again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008, 03:30:13 PM by 83MT »
Zach
I like Yotatech

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2008, 01:13:44 PM »
New ignitor, fired right up! Parts guy says the internals for the '83 and 85-88 ignitors are different, and even though somebody made the plugs work, I'll possibly have the same problem again down the road...oh well, I guess. Hopefully I'll get a few years out of this one, anyways. I can see why these trucks make better 2nd vehicles. With weird problems like this, it's good to not need it working again fast. If I had time, I would have found the correct plug at a junk yard and spliced it back in so I could use the correct ignitor, but I needed the truck running so I spent a lot on an ignitor that may not last too long since it wasn't built for my truck...we'll see.
Zach
I like Yotatech