Author Topic: Spark arrester  (Read 3348 times)

Slowride

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Spark arrester
« on: Oct 30, 2005, 05:12:33 AM »
Due to the unusually dry weather in the SE USA I have considered the use of an exhaust system spark arrester. As of this time I have not been able to locate one. I found them for motorcycles and 4-wheelers but nothing for a 20R Toyota.
If anyone knows where I could purchase one please advise.

Thanks, Slowride

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Spark arrester
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2005, 07:37:53 AM »
this is probably a good idea,  however  most trucks have a long exhaust system,  with muffler and cat,  so a spark arrester  probably isnt needed,  however,  those tuneable exhaust tips,  may be the best answer for you
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2005, 11:54:09 AM »
If I'm not mistaken I think that any muffler that is not a straight through flow is considered a spark arrestor.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2005, 05:53:36 PM »
Pull out your cat and replace it with a flowmaster/magnaflow, no more spark!  Most road side fires are started by catylitic convertors.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

hawaii500_1999

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Watch this!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2005, 06:07:45 PM »
supertrap used to make car and boat mufflers with the "disk" type spark arrestor. 
1985 4runner on 35 boggers.  22re, W56 tranny, daul cases with 4:1 in the back case, ford f150 fronts with 63" chevys in the back, cross over steering, full width chevy axles with detroit back and ARB front,

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2005, 06:39:04 PM »
supertrap used to make car and boat mufflers with the "disk" type spark arrestor.

they still do...if you want the easy way out, go buy a Sparky that'll fit you your exhaust and clamp it on.  They are available thru Parts Unlimited and I think Tucker Rocky and Dennis Kirk also(dirt bike stuff, so go to a bike shop)  anyway, its made by Cobra and it's a universal clamp-on spark arrestor.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2005, 10:19:12 PM »
the forest service guys secretly hate cats...

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2005, 10:30:18 PM »
the forest service guys secretly hate cats...
:yesnod:

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2005, 11:34:26 PM »
Seen alot of grass fires from a hot cat! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2005, 09:42:21 AM »
I know you can still get super trap exhaust there are a few in the summit catlog, but they rob power, and IMO they look hideous. 
I don't think that flowmasters are considered spark arrestors because I know people who have flowmaster and borla muff's that shoot flames when they backfire.  But with a cat they don't?  :dunno:

The only problem with a cat is they make the exhaust and motor run much hoterr as apposed to not running a cat.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2005, 03:08:30 PM »
not sure how this applies, but im a roofer, the spark arrestors we use on chimneys is nothing mroe than a metal mash screen placed over an opening... now my truck has a cat... but i noticed that my cat has mesh on the inside of the exit pipe.....

you can probably through a piece of mesh and weld it to the exhuast pipe and be fine.... not 100% sure on gas engines also, but for a stray spark to travel that far and not get quenched, i almost think thats impossible.....

i would agree with a cat being too hot and causing an ignition of crap underneath the truck but dont really see how any hot spark would travel so far through the exhuast as t obe a problem
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~