Author Topic: [Project Reeda]yup. engines out  (Read 57669 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: [Project Reeda]not running right at all...
« Reply #450 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:41:19 PM »
I'm thinking not well.  I bought and parted out a 1st gen runner, and took the top to the buyer of it in my truck, first tried putting it on like a runner, wound up having to flip it over and let it sit in the bed.  I'd assume the 2nd gen runner is about the same width as the 3rd gen truck, just like the 2nd gen truck is the same width of the 1st gen runner.  

If you were to cut it like that pic, I wonder if you could cut it to match the lines of something like an amigo hardtop, and then use your mad fiberglass skills to widen that top to the correct width?  :dunno:
ive never used fiberglass before... :outtahere:

not a bad idea...amigo top...hmmmm.... :wereallyneedamadscintistsmilie: if i chop it id like to take off a bit more than that but, if a migo top would fit...that changes things....

i read a thread about someone using a runner top on a 2nd gen pickup. looked funnyas hell...
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:44:13 PM »
ive never used fiberglass before... :outtahere:

not a bad idea...amigo top...hmmmm.... :wereallyneedamadscintistsmilie: if i chop it id like to take off a bit more than that but, if a migo top would fit...that changes things....

i read a thread about someone using a runner top on a 2nd gen pickup. looked funnyas hell...

that was a joke in reference to your other thread about fiberglass :thumbs:

:headscratch: do you mean a 3rd gen?   I don't know why a runner top would look funny on a 2nd gen truck, thats pretty much what a 1st gen runner is.  :dunno:  It would look funny on a 3rd gen, the top would be too low, and too narrow, and it certainly wouldn't match the body lines.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:46:23 PM »
for what its worth, im done posting here..... you have a perfectly good truck... and want a trail rig... instead of hacking up a good truck, that still belongs to your parents and still has nothing wrong other than needing a windshield... replace the windshield.... have a running truck that you can still drive in the rain

use the red truck or whatever else, and cut it up, or not, and wheel it....

AND KEEP YOUR BROTHER AWAY FROM ANYTHING WITH WHEELS OR ENGINES
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #453 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:54:15 PM »
for what its worth, im done posting here..... you have a perfectly good truck... and want a trail rig... instead of hacking up a good truck, that still belongs to your parents and still has nothing wrong other than needing a windshield... replace the windshield.... have a running truck that you can still drive in the rain

use the red truck or whatever else, and cut it up, or not, and wheel it....

AND KEEP YOUR BROTHER AWAY FROM ANYTHING WITH WHEELS OR ENGINES
yea, thanks for the input jimbo. im just thinkin about different stuff.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #454 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:58:39 PM »
i like teh way this one is :drool: :love:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632715&highlight=4runner+chop

if i do it, i think this is how ill do it...

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #455 on: Jul 15, 2008, 11:02:54 PM »
it looks soooooo clean to me...

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 983
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: Jul 15, 2008, 11:07:24 PM »
ya know, i seen the most bad ass 2nd gen runner ever this weekend, i will see if scott got pics and post em for ya.
4.7 t-case, welded rear, 33s, sr5 buckits, sas sooner than later. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=74399.0

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: Jul 16, 2008, 05:02:50 AM »

might work out? :dunno:

the full thread on chop and bobbin' it

http://yotatech.com/f116/1990-4runner-chop-bob-138587/

That is what I meant by cut the roof off... just like that!

The pirate link is cool too.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #458 on: Jul 16, 2008, 09:18:42 AM »
so far...i like the pirate link the best...it looks clean and factory...almost :love:

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: Jul 16, 2008, 10:11:15 AM »
The fact that he kept the rear glass and all the things working (heated glass, washer fluid, wiper, brakelight) makes the pirate one really cool. It does kind of look factory :yesnod: Plus it has a tailgate, which is cool too.

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: Jul 16, 2008, 10:13:30 AM »
Did you see the one down further with the canvas top? That one looks pretty cool too.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #461 on: Jul 16, 2008, 10:44:55 AM »
The fact that he kept the rear glass and all the things working (heated glass, washer fluid, wiper, brakelight) makes the pirate one really cool. It does kind of look factory :yesnod: Plus it has a tailgate, which is cool too.
Did you see the one down further with the canvas top? That one looks pretty cool too.
i did see the canvas top, but i think i like the solid top the best. small bedspace for tossing crap. might be able to throw a dirtbike back there if you run it crooked/hang the wheel out the back.

the biggest problem i see, is that there would be no where to comfortably sleep if you went camping or whatever. although i think i could probably solve that problem by build an over-roof and bed space rack that would run the whole length of the vehicle basically. from wind shield to tailgate. cover the floor in expanded metal and use it as a rack/sleeping space. :dunno:

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: Jul 16, 2008, 01:08:52 PM »
What ever happened to tents? :haha:

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #463 on: Jul 16, 2008, 02:07:21 PM »
What ever happened to tents? :haha:
who wants to sleep on teh ground?

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: Jul 16, 2008, 02:14:28 PM »
:dunno: I don't mind it. Just bring an air matress and its all good

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #465 on: Jul 16, 2008, 02:41:49 PM »
:dunno: I don't mind it. Just bring an air matress and its all good
yea, true, id just ratehr sleep up a littel higher away from bugs and spiders...and everything else. most small rodents and stuff.

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: Jul 16, 2008, 02:45:26 PM »
sounds like my last girlfriend! :haha:

What ever ends up happening just make sure you take pics.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #467 on: Jul 16, 2008, 02:51:51 PM »
sounds like my last girlfriend! :haha:

What ever ends up happening just make sure you take pics.
pics for sure.

dude, if i dont have to get eaten by bugs and hassled by animals the size of my fist then im not gonna.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: Jul 16, 2008, 11:09:44 PM »
Tents are the :pokinit:

I sleep in the 4runner if I have to but usually just pitch a tent. i've got a pretty nice air mattress though I would like to get one of those "Truck Beds" they are reputed to be the most heavy duty camping air mattress available.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: Jul 17, 2008, 12:48:35 PM »
Amigo hard top

might be worth looking into :thumbs:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

ontherocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 983
  • Member since Jul '07
  • ECV-711
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: Jul 22, 2008, 09:29:14 PM »
yea, true, id just ratehr sleep up a littel higher away from bugs and spiders...and everything else. most small rodents and stuff.
i just take a cot and sleeping bag to the trail, use my backpack as a pillow. very light packer. :)
4.7 t-case, welded rear, 33s, sr5 buckits, sas sooner than later. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=74399.0

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
alright, sooooooo...

i called the glass place and they telled me that they could probably fit a windshield but i thin kwell probly tow ti up there tomorrow and haveme order the glass. i dont really want to go with a stock windshield, but the guy sounded real skeptical about using any other type of plexiglass or something else... :dunno:

any more suggestions besides just getting stock glass? anything stronger that anybodys got?

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: [Project Reeda]windshield soon?
« Reply #472 on: Jul 23, 2008, 02:34:23 PM »
Just use stock glass... do you plan on flipping this any more? If you do i suggest just cutting the body off from the hood/door line up and building a cage tied into the frame. You can then place a piece of plexi across the front down tubes of the cage and tada! Now if you roll it it wont do any damage, and straight up normal flat plexiglass is not that expensive if it fades or breaks. Unless you plan on rolling the runner more, just use a stock windshield. Hell, even if you do think you are going to roll it again, go to a junkyard an get a used windshield for cheap.

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #473 on: Jul 23, 2008, 04:08:37 PM »
Just use stock glass... do you plan on flipping this any more? If you do i suggest just cutting the body off from the hood/door line up and building a cage tied into the frame. You can then place a piece of plexi across the front down tubes of the cage and tada! Now if you roll it it wont do any damage, and straight up normal flat plexiglass is not that expensive if it fades or breaks. Unless you plan on rolling the runner more, just use a stock windshield. Hell, even if you do think you are going to roll it again, go to a junkyard an get a used windshield for cheap.
well i dont plan on flipping it because my dad said he woud take away my hypothetical license if i do...but i do plan on hammering the thing unmercifully.... ::gap: like a mild hyenas maybe? :dunno:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: Jul 23, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »
meh, just use a stock one.  I've been wheeling my truck since 2003, and have yet to break a windshield on the trail, and I'm not particularly easy on my truck.  Plexiglass isn't a bad idea for a trail only rig, but it isn't legal on the road, and it scratches fairly easily. 

-Ronald Reagan

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: Jul 23, 2008, 09:25:25 PM »
toss a DOT approved windshield in it and be done with it....

build a truggy to beat later

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: Jul 23, 2008, 09:31:36 PM »
toss a DOT approved windshield in it and be done with it....

build a truggy to beat later

or beat on the truck and wheel it too :dunno:  its ok to wheel a DD, and thrash it a little :gap: 

-Ronald Reagan

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: Jul 23, 2008, 09:41:44 PM »
or beat on the truck and wheel it too :dunno:  its ok to wheel a DD, and thrash it a little :gap: 

the thing with that, is it is still his parents truck.... all that has to happen is it look bad enough that they get pissed, and its gone.... my parents hate my junky truck..... im 26, and my dad told me i wasnt allowed to drive my truck with no doors.... sucked, but thats what happens when you live under someone elses roof...

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: Jul 23, 2008, 09:46:31 PM »

the thing with that, is it is still his parents truck.... all that has to happen is it look bad enough that they get pissed, and its gone.... my parents hate my junky truck..... im 26, and my dad told me i wasnt allowed to drive my truck with no doors.... sucked, but thats what happens when you live under someone elses roof...

obviously he has to respect his parents wishes, but part of the reason he got the runner was because his red truck was "too nice" to thrash on.  So it sounds to me like they kind of expect it. 

Your dad really said you weren't allowed to drive with your doors off?  :rofl:  I'm sorry, but thats funny!

-Ronald Reagan

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #479 on: Jul 23, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »

true...hmmm...ill come back with well, it was already rolled so its not like it really matters. and if my stuff gets jacked cause i got no doors its MY fault. and ill probly do it anyways. and they wont care too much i dont think. now after reading that it osunds bad, but they wont really care, i dont think.

i already told my pops that im gonna beat down and be proud of every dent...he said ok, if thats the kinda vehicle you wanna drive...then i replied with, HELL YEA! ill lift it(sas, links, whatever) and itll look sick to me, and i dont care what whoever else thinks. to me there is just something sexy about a thrashed rig that performs aweosme on the trail...:dunno:

so yea they fully expect it to get thrashed...i bought it, it was my money spent on it. :dunno: